PDA

View Full Version : Celtics looking to add more picks

hawkfan
02-17-2015, 12:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4717778/celtics-at-deadline-ready-and-opportunistic

Celtics have, I believe, 11 first round picks in the next 4 years, plus whatever second round picks they have.

Plus they already have a bunch of young talent.

Looking to add more.

sejoon101
02-17-2015, 12:24 PM
I don't know about a bunch of 'young talent', HOWEVER, our future looks damnnnnnn bright.

Our front office isn't full of fuktards, and I believe, even though it may not be title contenders in the near future, I see us being a heavy threat in the East in the next decade.

War Celtics:cheers:

hawkfan
02-17-2015, 12:24 PM
hawkfan Trade Scenario (where amazing happens):

Hawks get

Kelly Olynyk

Celtics get

1st round pick (from Minnesota)
1st round pick (contingent on Hawks making ECF)(protected top 5)
Mike Muscala
Small trade exception

Olynyk is shooting above 35 percent from deep twos and three pointers. With the Hawks those numbers can go up. And he can provide size and youth we are lacking at the bigs.

HurricaneKid
02-17-2015, 12:31 PM
I don't know about a bunch of 'young talent', HOWEVER, our future looks damnnnnnn bright.

Our front office isn't full of fuktards, and I believe, even though it may not be title contenders in the near future, I see us being a heavy threat in the East in the next decade.

War Celtics:cheers:

Not to be a dick but what cornerstone pieces do the Celts have? I mean who is going to lead them deep in the playoffs for the next decade? I LOOOooove Stevens. But there isn't a ton of talent there.

They have AS MANY AS 11 1sts. But 2 of those will probably revert to 2nds and the bulk of the other ones are really late picks. The Brooklyn picks are going to be great but I suspect they won't end up being quite as nice as we expect just because they have no interest in tanking for someone else and will be trying to win as many games as they can.

And having 7 late 1sts isn't worth all that much. Celts are in a much better spot than the Lakers and several others but its not that enviable position.

hawksdogsbraves
02-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Not to be a dick but what cornerstone pieces do the Celts have? I mean who is going to lead them deep in the playoffs for the next decade? I LOOOooove Stevens. But there isn't a ton of talent there.

They have AS MANY AS 11 1sts. But 2 of those will probably revert to 2nds and the bulk of the other ones are really late picks. The Brooklyn picks are going to be great but I suspect they won't end up being quite as nice as we expect just because they have no interest in tanking for someone else and will be trying to win as many games as they can.

And having 7 late 1sts isn't worth all that much. Celts are in a much better spot than the Lakers and several others but its not that enviable position.

Yeah it's a position where it will take a few years to become competitive too, even if they do manage to grab a franchise player with one of those picks.

Stevens is a good coach, I almost wonder though if he will be willing to put up with this 3-5 year rebuilding movement when the Duke's and UNC's of the world see their coaches retire and come a calling.

hawkfan
02-17-2015, 01:05 PM
The thing about drafting is that it is not an exact science.

Portland picked Oden over Durant, but they also could have drafted Al Horford. If they had Horford now, they would be the best team in the league.

The Sixers picked Turner at no. 2 over Cousins and George.

The Wolves picked Flynn and Rubio over Curry and Teague.

The Grizzlies picked Thabeet over James Harden.

The Hawks picked Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams.

The Spurs picked Parker at no. 28 and Manu in the second round.

So knowing how to pick is in some ways more important than having the highest pick.

beastee
02-17-2015, 02:32 PM
You gonna jump on the C's bandwagon too by declaring to the whole board who doesn't care???

chips93
02-17-2015, 02:35 PM
1st round pick (from Minnesota)
1st round pick (contingent on Hawks making ECF)(protected top 5)
Mike Muscala
Small trade exception

teams cant trade picks with this sort of protection, can they?

JohnnySic
02-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Yeah, most of the picks wont be great. They have to draft wisely and get lucky.

Demon Lizard
02-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Celtics are running out of talent to trade for picks.