Split
Cologne

Overrated:

Madrid
Prague
Milan

kNIOKAS
02-18-2015, 04:22 PM
Haven't been to a lot of them but I really what makes a city nice and rated well and what makes it bad. People saying this or that city being best... What exactly do they have in mind?

Ratnik
02-18-2015, 04:27 PM
underrated:
Sofia :banana:

rezznor
02-18-2015, 04:28 PM
overrated: paris and athens

~primetime~
02-18-2015, 04:32 PM
overrated: paris and athens
How is Paris overrated in your eyes? I was there a week and it completely exceeded my expectations. There was still a lot I was unable to do in a week's time...I hope to go back one day.

ThePhantomCreep
02-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Only been to London and Paris. Both vastly exceeded expectations.

LJJ
02-18-2015, 06:49 PM
Overrated: London and Paris, Milan, Venice.

Underrated: Warschau, Budapest, St. Petersburg, Austria and Switzerland (-Salzburg, Salzburg sucks).

KirbyPls
02-18-2015, 07:20 PM
Anyone who says Rome is overrated ITT is bananas and should be banned. London and Paris are sick. Venice is slightly overrated if you enjoy nightlife.

nightprowler10
02-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Underrated:

Florence

Overrated:

Milan (that Duomo tho)

nightprowler10
02-18-2015, 07:23 PM
Venice is slightly overrated if you enjoy nightlife.
I think it's rated about right. It's still THE place to take your chick in Italy.

~primetime~
02-18-2015, 07:24 PM
I suppose Paris and London can only be overrated...they are top-5 in most lists I see

http://travel.usnews.com/Rankings/Worlds_Best_Vacations/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/travel/top-world-destinations-tripadvisor/

http://www.travelchannel.com/interests/travel-tips/articles/top-10-vacation-spots

I still would love to visit all of these destinations that are "highly rated" though...if you can't enjoy yourself at these places it's on you

~primetime~
02-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Anyone who says Rome is overrated ITT is bananas and should be banned. London and Paris are sick. Venice is slightly overrated if you enjoy nightlife.
I'm going to Rome in September...can't wait

nightprowler10
02-18-2015, 07:26 PM
I REALLY thought I was going to come away from London thinking that it was overrated, but it really isn't. I spent way too much time at Lord's though.

Rome was awesome. Planning on staying there the whole time?

Trollsmasher
02-18-2015, 07:48 PM
Underrated:

Edinburgh(incredible city)
Split
Cologne

Overrated:

Madrid
Prague
Milan
bitch:coleman:

~primetime~
02-18-2015, 08:00 PM
I REALLY thought I was going to come away from London thinking that it was overrated, but it really isn't. I spent way too much time at Lord's though.

Rome was awesome. Planning on staying there the whole time?
Doing Rome, Venice, and Pompeii

I thought I was going to come out of Paris thinking it was cliche and overrated...but it isn't at all. You can spend a month in Paris without fully taking it all in. It's a beautiful city and I understand why it is highly regarded. I want to visit London as well.

blablabla
02-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Split really is a great city, Sarajevo too great food, great people, great history
and Belgrad for partying

Don't know how the Austrian cities are rated, but imo the appeal lies more in the country side and the mountains

RagaZ
02-18-2015, 08:54 PM
Underrated:

Florence

Overrated:

Milan (that Duomo tho)
Is Florence overrated though? It's an incredible city, but i think everyone knows that.

RagaZ
02-18-2015, 08:56 PM
bitch:coleman:
Bratislava > :banana:

Maga_1
02-18-2015, 10:11 PM
As anyone come to Lisbon or Oporto?

rezznor
02-18-2015, 10:18 PM
How is Paris overrated in your eyes? I was there a week and it completely exceeded my expectations. There was still a lot I was unable to do in a week's time...I hope to go back one day.
i guess i meant overrated as far as it's reputation as "most romantic city in the world". there are much better places to take your significant other imo.

i've been 3 times and the only reason why i ever i went back was b/c it was with a different girl each time and they had never been.

i did enjoy all the sights and museums, but i really didn't care for the people. i visit with an open mind and am always very respectful but i felt that snootiness that everyone characterizes the french with every time.

i noticed alot of ppl put london on the overrated list but i actually love that city. up until a few years ago it was my favorite city in the world. i always have a great time there.

underrated: Singapore (currently my favorite city in the world)

~primetime~
02-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Yeah I suppose I can see Paris being overrated in the romance department. Although when I went we stayed on the Louvre Garden which definitely has a romantic feel to it.

It is congested though, very crowded and lots of car exhaust... The locals reak of body odor, and it is odd because I know most of them have money. Numerous times I ran into people in high end designer fashion that smelled like they had not showered in days. It's like deodorant isn't part of the culture.

Also lots of smokers... And yes, lots of snootiness

joe
02-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Who goes to Europe. What are you guys the McCallister family or some shit.

Bay Area Baller
02-18-2015, 11:56 PM
Who goes to Europe. What are you guys the McCallister family or some shit.

Lol, this.

pauk
02-19-2015, 01:33 AM
Underrated:

Edinburgh(incredible city)
Split
Cologne

Overrated:

Madrid
Prague
Milan

Split really is a great city, Sarajevo too great food, great people, great history
and Belgrad for partying

:applause:

pauk
02-19-2015, 02:07 AM
Overrated Cities:
1. London (and i dont even know why, its an overpopulated sewer)
2. Rome (its great, but overfreakingdone)
3. Paris (same as above)

Underrated Cities:
1. Split
2. Copenhagen
3. Gothenburg

Overrated Places:
1. England (Ireland & Scotland was far more interesting & beautiful)
2. Italy
3. France & Spain

Underrated Places:
1. Montenegro - Just google it.... The most naturally beautiful place in Europe ive seen at least, looks like something out of a LOTR Elf world with its canyons, cliffs, mountains, gorges, streams, waterfalls EVERYWHERE so much so there is basically no highways there, no straight land and people live there, roads go through the canyons, its like driving in the clouds looking down.... carrying all the way to the gorgeous sea/beaches where you will find epic partying.... amazing food which you have never tried before, amazing culture, history, people, amazing amazing amazing.... to be honest, most of the fr. Yugoslavia is horribly underrated.... if you want to come here Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia should be the priority....

2. Norway - Entire Norway! Just pure beauty!

3. Istanbul/Turkey - So much to do & see, so little time.... and more unique at everything compared to London/England, Paris/France and Italy/Rome.

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-19-2015, 03:51 PM
Thank You Pauk U Have Breathed New Life Into Me

rufuspaul
02-19-2015, 03:56 PM
Overrated: Venice

Underrated: Munich

fiddy
02-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Amsterdam is great, probably doesnt get enough recognition IMO.

Nowitness
02-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Athens is the birthplace of Western Culture and philosophy (alongside Jerusalem). Greatest city I've ever been to, I'd move there to continue my Ancient History career but the economy.

The damn economy.

WallBe
02-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Overrated: Oslo
Underrated: Belfast

rezznor
02-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Athens is the birthplace of Western Culture and philosophy (alongside Jerusalem). Greatest city I've ever been to, I'd move there to continue my Ancient History career but the economy.

The damn economy.
it's still a dump. spend a day to check out the acropolis, parthenon etc and then gtfo and head for the islands. the difference is night and day.

rezznor
02-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Amsterdam is great, probably doesnt get enough recognition IMO.
agreed, amsterdam is pretty fun

LEFT4DEAD
02-19-2015, 06:57 PM
IDK if underrated or not, but Vienna is probably the greatest city in Europe to visit for a week or so. Prague and Sarajevo follow right behind it. Western Europe is mehh, nothing special to see.

RagaZ
02-19-2015, 07:05 PM
I wouldnt call Amsterdam underrated though.

Another underrated city is Bergen in Norway.

KyrieTheFuture
02-19-2015, 07:11 PM
You can't really go wrong anywhere but Rome is very overrated, Munich wasn't for me but I can see why people love it.

Underrated:
All of Croatia

Nowitness
02-19-2015, 07:38 PM
it's still a dump. spend a day to check out the acropolis, parthenon etc and then gtfo and head for the islands. the difference is night and day.

Nah. There was still a vibrant culture past all of the historical attractions. I'm not denying it is dusty af, streets don't look nice, grafitti everywhere, overpricing on everything, mainly sell items on stands and street corners, hustlers...

But most European cities outside of the UK, France, Spain and Italy are like this.

LJJ
02-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Amsterdam is overrated for the drugs and the hoes. Like they don't have drugs and hoes wherever you live? It's probably underrated in other aspects due to that reputation. The culture, history, architecture, food and general flavour and style are top tier.

I haven't visited there myself, but Tallinn is underrated.

fiddy
02-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Amsterdam is overrated for the drugs and the hoes. Like they don't have drugs and hoes wherever you live? It's probably underrated in other aspects due to that reputation. The culture, history, architecture, food and general flavour and style are top tier.

Exactly, i was there for two days (two of two sunny days) and the general atmosphere/vibe i felt was the best ive had.

rezznor
02-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Nah. There was still a vibrant culture past all of the historical attractions. I'm not denying it is dusty af, streets don't look nice, grafitti everywhere, overpricing on everything, mainly sell items on stands and street corners, hustlers...

But most European cities outside of the UK, France, Spain and Italy are like this.
i was really disappointed with the state of the ruins outside of the ones around the parthenon. i went to some smaller low key ones and they were all unkept, overgrown with weeds and tagged with graffiti. i'm huge fan of history and like you said, i consider athens the cradle of western civilization so to see the lack of care given to these ruins was aggravating.

i left my hotel in a supposed "nice" part of town, turned the corner and saw a large group of people huddled around. we walked over there to see what was going on, hoping to see some local culture. when we got closer i realized they were shooting up heroin. only then did the ground was littered with used needles :wtf: there was a group of 3-4 cops directly across the street and neither the cops nor the druggies gave a fvck.

my experiences on the islands were totally different. the people acted differently and treated you differently. they weren't constantly trying to hustle you like they were on the mainland. they were so helpful and friendly. they were also on average much better looking :oldlol:. i hate to say it, but i'm pretty sure that it was because most of the people i ran across in athens were immigrants and the ones i met on the islands had actual greek ancestry.

don't get me wrong, i know there are plenty of cities that are like athens and have visited them, but the difference was i knew i was in a 3rd world country beforehand so it was expected. i guess i just expected alot more out of the city where we owe so much of our culture to.

~primetime~
02-19-2015, 09:54 PM
i was really disappointed with the state of the ruins outside of the ones around the parthenon. i went to some smaller low key ones and they were all unkept, overgrown with weeds and tagged with graffiti. i'm huge fan of history and like you said, i consider athens the cradle of western civilization so to see the lack of care given to these ruins was aggravating.

i left my hotel in a supposed "nice" part of town, turned the corner and saw a large group of people huddled around. we walked over there to see what was going on, hoping to see some local culture. when we got closer i realized they were shooting up heroin. only then did the ground was littered with used needles :wtf: there was a group of 3-4 cops directly across the street and neither the cops nor the druggies gave a fvck.

my experiences on the islands were totally different. the people acted differently and treated you differently. they weren't constantly trying to hustle you like they were on the mainland. they were so helpful and friendly. they were also on average much better looking :oldlol:. i hate to say it, but i'm pretty sure that it was because most of the people i ran across in athens were immigrants and the ones i met on the islands had actual greek ancestry.

don't get me wrong, i know there are plenty of cities that are like athens and have visited them, but the difference was i knew i was in a 3rd world country beforehand so it was expected. i guess i just expected alot more out of the city where we owe so much of our culture to.
Do did you shoot up with them to get the whole cultural feel of the place?

rezznor
02-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Do did you shoot up with them to get the whole cultural feel of the place?
shit my girl almost did. she was wearing sandals.