PDA

View Full Version : How Would "Pistol" Pete Maravich Do Today?

MP.Trey
02-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Averaged 25/5.5/4.5 in his first seven years with peak averages of 31/5.5/5 all without a three point line and lord knows he had 3 point range. Check out this 68 point game vs. the Knicks in 77 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqnpxhFWhw). Could have been 70+ with a 3 point line, and the impressive thing is he did it against Walt Frazier & Earl the Pearl.

I think Pistol would be a beast running the break with the Gerald Green's and Zach Lavine's of the world and bombing the three ball. He had a fantastic playmaking ability in the open court and today's game would treat him a lot better than his time.

Who knows if he could buy in to a team game and lead a team deep in the playoffs but just imagine the highlights and the boxscores. I could see him putting up 32/7/5 if a team was built around him.

EDIT: Edited my original stat projections since some people like to only read the first post of an entire topic.

Ariza4three
02-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Averaged 25/5.5/4.5 in his first seven years with peak averages of 31/5.5/5 all without a three point line and lord knows he had 3 point range. Check out this 68 point game vs. the Knicks in 77 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqnpxhFWhw). Could have been 70+ with a 3 point line, and the impressive thing is he did it against Walt Frazier & Earl the Pearl.

I think Pistol would be a beast running the break with the Gerald Green's and Zach Lavine's of the world and bombing the three ball. He had a fantastic playmaking ability in the open court and today's game would treat him a lot better than his time.

Who knows if he could buy in to a team game and lead a team deep in the playoffs but just imagine the highlights and the boxscores. I could see him putting up 35/7/5 if a team was built around him.
why do people say this shit? didn't put up that in a weak ass era. so you think he'll be the best player in the league now and score 8 more points per game than the leading scorer? this is why people don't take the ****ing senior citizens on this forum seriously.

The_Pharcyde
02-18-2015, 06:04 PM
He would be very good no doubt about it

But of course someone is gonna come in here and say he would be terrible like usual ish
Sad thing is they think they are right

MP.Trey
02-18-2015, 06:15 PM
why do people say this shit? didn't put up that in a weak ass era. so you think he'll be the best player in the league now and score 8 more points per game than the leading scorer? this is why people don't take the ****ing senior citizens on this forum seriously.
35 might be stretching it but you add a 3 point line then Pistol would average a decent amount of more points than he had. He'd probably get a little more FTA's too with the treatment the stars get nowadays. Add better athletes and finishers and bang, more assists. It's not far fetched at all to believe but you're set in your mind frame that every era other than this one is garbage and I can't see anyone changing that.

swagga
02-18-2015, 06:19 PM

Who knows if he could buy in to a team game and lead a team deep in the playoffs but just imagine the highlights and the boxscores. I could see him putting up 35/7/5 if a team was built around him.

i think he does better today because of the spacing oriented game that fits his style perfectly. But 35 ppg is wayyy too much, he doesn't have the crazy athleticism to handle double and triple teams like a lebron/kobe/wade/jordan and if anybody scores that much they'd be seeing alot of double teams. You also have to adjust for pace.

Ariza4three
02-18-2015, 06:22 PM
35 might be stretching it but you add a 3 point line then Pistol would average a decent amount of more points than he had. He'd probably get a little more FTA's too with the treatment the stars get nowadays. Add better athletes and finishers and bang, more assists. It's not far fetched at all to believe but you're set in your mind frame that every era other than this one is garbage and I can't see anyone changing that.
Your right!
White boy > Lebron
It's time to grow the **** up and realize that the era Pete, Wilt and all those other nobody f*cks played in was weak as shit. The 50's and 60's shouldn't even be considered as a legitimate time in basketball and records made back then shouldn't be counted.

Lebron23
02-18-2015, 06:23 PM
A Cancer. How can you overrate a guy who never led his team deeper into the playoffs? He's not even worthy to be called as a top 50 greatest player.

Dominique Wilkins had a better career than him. Keep watching his "amazing highlights" on youtube.

He's a Muddafacking career loser.

Lebron23
02-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Your right!
White boy > Lebron
It's time to grow the **** up and realize that the era Pete, Wilt and all those other nobody f*cks played in was weak as shit. The 50's and 60's shouldn't even be considered as a legitimate time in basketball and records made back then shouldn't be counted.

That white boy or Asian is a huge LeBron Hater. Thank you for schooling him Kid.

MP.Trey
02-18-2015, 06:24 PM
i think he does better today because of the spacing oriented game that fits his style perfectly. But 35 ppg is wayyy too much, he doesn't have the crazy athleticism to handle double and triple teams like a lebron/kobe/wade/jordan and if anybody scores that much they'd be seeing alot of double teams. You also have to adjust for pace.
Yeah I got carried away a little bit but I think 32 or so is reasonable if he was the go-to guy on a bad to decent team. Definitely over 30.

Lebron23
02-18-2015, 06:30 PM
Yeah I got carried away a little bit but I think 32 or so is reasonable if he was the go-to guy on a bad to decent team. Definitely over 30.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view7/2611246/marbury-face-o.gif

MP.Trey
02-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Your right!
White boy > Lebron
Good thing Maravich played in the 70's then. If you're gonna spew out biased drivel, at least be somewhat informed about it.

BasedTom
02-18-2015, 06:32 PM
One of the few players in that era who could hang, if not excel, with the guys today. It's a shame his career was cut short.

Also, I can't say that I'm surprised that the 12 year old lebron dickriders are completely clueless as always

Lebron23
02-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Good thing Maravich played in the 70's then. If you're gonna spew out biased drivel, at least be somewhat informed about it.

And he failed to led his team multiple times into the playoffs.

L.Kizzle
02-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Gilbert Arenas avg 30 points a few years ago ...

Ariza4three
02-18-2015, 06:36 PM
I've already embarrassed you and your shitty thread.

Lebron23
One of the few players in that era who could hang, if not excel, with the guys today. It's a shame his career was cut short.

Also, I can't say that I'm surprised that the 12 year old lebron dickriders are completely clueless as always

18.7 ppg on 42.3 FG% in the playoffs. White boys like Nash, Cousy, Havlicek gets underrated in this forum while exciting white boys like White Chocolate and Pete Maravich gets overrated.

Ariza4three
Gilbert Arenas avg 30 points a few years ago ...
He averaged 29, and by a few do you mean almost a decade ago?

Lebron23
02-18-2015, 06:39 PM
I've already embarrassed you and your shitty thread.

That's grown man posts.

L.Kizzle
02-18-2015, 06:40 PM
He averaged 29, and by a few do you mean almost a decade ago?
2006 wasn't that long ago.
Well, it probably was for you. What were you like three in 2006?

MP.Trey
02-18-2015, 06:42 PM
A Cancer. How can you overrate a guy who never led his team deeper into the playoffs? He's not even worthy to be called as a top 50 greatest player.

Dominique Wilkins had a better career than him. Keep watching his "amazing highlights" on youtube.

He's a Muddafacking career loser.
I clearly said I don't know if he could ever buy into a team concept. I'm purely speaking statistically and stylistically. His game would translate well and he'd put up great stats. Not every 30+ ppg scorer leads their team anywhere significant in the playoffs.

Even comparing him to Dominique or considering him for top 50 is a compliment (especially for how short his career was) and you're a dumbass if you think otherwise. Not every player is LeBron and you need to stop holding people to such high standards.

Besides, nobody's in here saying he'd win chips today, or he's a top 50 player or he's this or that ranking or comparing him to other all-time greats, we're simply talking about how his game would do today and what he'd be able to accomplish. And he'd get buckets, no doubt.

The_Pharcyde
02-18-2015, 06:45 PM
Your right!
White boy > Lebron

hahhahaha what a fool this kid is.

why would anyone respond to this
he obviously has no clue what he is talking about

or he could be a very good troll

my guess is the former

Jailblazers7
02-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Pistol Pete would basically be Brent Barry on roids if he played in the modern era.

Lebron23
02-18-2015, 06:47 PM
I clearly said I don't know if he could ever buy into a team concept. I'm purely speaking statistically and stylistically. His game would translate well and he'd put up great stats. Not every 30+ ppg scorer leads their team anywhere significant in the playoffs.

Even comparing him to Dominique or considering him for top 50 is a compliment (especially for how short his career was) and you're a dumbass if you think otherwise. Not every player is LeBron and you need to stop holding people to such high standards.

Besides, nobody's in here saying he'd win chips today, or he's a top 50 player or he's this or that ranking or comparing him to other all-time greats, we're simply talking about how his game would do today and what he'd be able to accomplish. And he'd get buckets, no doubt.

You are an idiot if you think that he can be a team player. His father coached his team college, and he never tried to be a team player in the NBA.

He's the Anti Larry Bird.

Ariza4three
02-18-2015, 06:48 PM
hahhahaha what a fool this kid is.

why would anyone respond to this
he obviously has no clue what he is talking about

or he could be a very good troll

my guess is the former
1 green bar compared to full green bars. Nice try f*ggot.

Lebronxrings
02-18-2015, 06:48 PM
mcdonalds

Ariza4three
02-18-2015, 06:49 PM
You are an idiot if you think that he can be a team player. His father coached his team college, and he never tried to be a team player in the NBA.

:applause:

MP.Trey
02-18-2015, 06:51 PM

Okay.

The_Pharcyde
02-18-2015, 06:52 PM
1 green bar compared to full green bars. Nice try f*ggot.

and who cares about that stuff lol! I dont test my bball knowledge on my green bars on ish, im confident with how much I know.. Im glad i dont have to pride myself with green bars on a small bball forum littered with trolls

you are an ignorant kid(in the true sense of the word)... you aren't fooling anyone, you just try to upset people on here... probably something going on in your personal life

IncarceratedBob
02-18-2015, 07:06 PM
This clown said 35/7/5. He didn't have the skills to play in todays NBA so we can't answer this question. Gun to my head I say he's Rondo with better free throw shooting

LAZERUSS
02-18-2015, 07:09 PM
This clown said 35/7/5. He didn't have the skills to play in todays NBA so we can't answer this question. Gun to my head I say he's Rondo with better free throw shooting

You really should pull that trigger...

IncarceratedBob
02-18-2015, 07:13 PM
You really should pull that trigger...
:rolleyes: Good analysis, troll.

I've watch Pete extensively and his game wouldn't translate to todays NBA. He was a great in his own time but lets leave him there. No shame in that IMO.

305Baller
02-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Similar although not necessarily as good as Manu, maybe even better. Who knows?

TheMarkMadsen
02-18-2015, 08:23 PM
lebron stans so insecure they can't even talk about pistol pete

:facepalm :facepalm

Jud
02-18-2015, 08:28 PM
He'd be putting up Steph Curry numbers. Their playing styles are very similar

gts
02-18-2015, 08:30 PM
:rolleyes: Good analysis, troll.

I've watch Pete extensively and his game wouldn't translate to todays NBA. He was a great in his own time but lets leave him there. No shame in that IMO.

No you haven't.. if you had you wouldn't be typing out the steaming pile of horsesh*t for us to read

deja vu
02-18-2015, 09:05 PM
Ricky Rubio with the scoring and without the defense and passing.

JellyBean
02-18-2015, 09:41 PM
How would Pistol do today? The dude would be killing it in the league. I am talking about shooting and passing. He would be a highlight reel every second that he was on the floor.

Kvnzhangyay
02-18-2015, 09:56 PM
Didn't he turn it over a ton?

dannysc305
02-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Rich mans Ricky Rubio

SHAQisGOAT
02-18-2015, 11:57 PM
Love how little kids run their ignorant mouth, without knowing what they're talking about :facepalm

Anyways...
Are we assuming he's still coached by his father in college? That he still masters the game at a very young age, then getting "bored" with simple stuff? That he still reaches star-status as a teen? That he's also never coached, in the pros, by a great coach who really lays into him and teaches him valuable things?

^If so, he would've been what he was... One of the most talented/skilled all-time players but with intangibles on the other end of the spectrum.

For comparisons sake, picture something like Curry with Klay's body, not QUITE that good of a shooter but a better overall scorer, with more of a gunner's mentality and even flashier, playing less for the team/win.
Rubio has a lot of Pete in him, let's say, in his dribbling and passing, but Pistol was on another planet as a shooter/scorer and was bigger too.
I also see a lot of Maravich in a player like Kyrie Irving.

As for stats, at his best I see something like...
--> 28/4/6 on around 45/39
That's playing for a weaker team that forces him to do more. A bit less points and a bit more assists with a bit higher efficiency playing for a better team.
Something like 2 less TO's than APG.

One thing though is that he would've been better suited for today's game, and MUCH more hyped too.
Back in the day all the upmost (unnecessary) flashy basketball and showboating was mostly frowned upon by most coaches, players and hardcore fans... Nowdays it's much different.
You also have a 3pt line now, perimeter oriented game and "rules", no handchecking, teammates expect more of that flashy stuff/passes.
All of that really favors a player like Pistol Pete

"Pistol was a big influence on me. I've often tried his moves on the basketball court. What he did on the court are things that players today still can't do."--Isiah Thomas

"I learned all my tricks from Pete Maravich."--Kobe Bryant

"I've got a lot of Pistol Pete in my game."--Steve Nash

"Pistol Pete is a legend to all who understand the history of basketball."--Jason Kidd

"He was one of the truly great players that could fill an arena. He was an excellent player. He could dribble with both hands, shoot with both hands, and see the whole court. I enjoyed playing with Pete. His biggest influence to my mind was his ability to pass. When he stepped on the court, it was like a warning sign: 'Watch out. I know how to play this game.'"--Larry Bird

"Pete was 'The Man.' I'd just sit there and shake my head and say to myself: 'How'd he do that?'"--Magic Johnson

"We're all doing things he did first."--Steve Nash

"(Oscar) Robertson was the best guard I ever played against. Jerry West was the best I ever played with. And Pete is the best I've ever seen."--Elgin Baylor

"He was the greatest ball handler I've ever seen in my life. He could do things with the basketball that were unbelievable."--Rick Barry

"A lot of guys break the laws of gravity. Pete breaks the laws of physics."--Red Auerbach

"The stuff that Pistol did with the ball was the breaking ground for what we can do today."--Jason Kidd

"Through following basketball and enjoying his flair for the game, I feel as though I knew him. He was a great scorer and a great passer at the same time. The passes he made were unbelievable. He was so ahead of his time."--Magic Johnson

"Oh my. He did things with the basketball that players - still today - can't do. If Maravich was playing today, he'd be a god."--Isiah Thomas

"All those things that made him a great player, they were also his curse. It was hard for him to blend his game with other players. He had been groomed to see how many points he could score rather than how many games he could win. That's the enigma of Pete Maravich."--Paul Westphal

"Like a master chess player, Pete Maravich saw things that nobody else did."--Bill Walton

"He was the original. When you talk about 'Showtime,' you talk about creativity, and bringing a whole different concept to the game of basketball. Pete was the original. He opened the minds of a lot of players as to how the game should be played. What he could do with the basketball at full speed was incredible. He was the best ball handler I ever saw. Ever."--Pat Riley

"He was a startling player. One of a half dozen I've ever seen who I'd buy a ticket to see play. He was as dazzling a passer and as great a ball handler as I've ever seen. He was like a great singer with a style all his own, a pacing that was different, a flair for the unusual."--Chick Hearn

"You were never quite sure what he was going to do with the ball in the open court. He had a thousand moves to either shoot it or pass it."--Jack Ramsay, Hall of Fame Coach

"The best showman of all time? I'd probably have to say Pistol Pete."--Isiah Thomas

He also did many moves on the regular that later on became "signature" moves for plenty of great players, even did shit that was never duplicated since.
Also, one way or another, he's one of the biggest influences the game has ever seen, just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfWkiO2Iz08

Regardless of anything else, one of the most exciting and one of the most talented/skilled players ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UTust5oFW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq1oUk7sgRY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVnJeKX5OeY

Some "variables" are hard to predict but he'd wreck shit up yesterday or today, despite of everything else (winning, intangibles...). And he'd easily be better suited and more recognized in this era.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 12:03 AM
2006 wasn't that long ago.
Well, it probably was for you. What were you like three in 2006?
there were like 5 people who averaged 30 ppg in 06. Inflated stats year. nobody is over 28 this year but Pistol Pete would be? :oldlol: GTFO.

atljonesbro
02-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Jesus Christ. Shit like this is actual proof that people on this forum are INSANELY nostalgic. Holy f*ck. Where do you even come up with absurd numbers like this?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 12:14 AM
Jesus Christ. Shit like this is actual proof that people on this forum are INSANELY nostalgic. Holy f*ck. Where do you even come up with absurd numbers like this?
this...****ing 35/5/7

and note how none of the supposed "unbiased" old era fans (LAZERUSS, L. Kizzle) even corrected him when that is one of the most ridiculous non-trolling comments i have ever seen on this forum...good god

LAZERUSS
02-19-2015, 12:21 AM
this...****ing 35/5/7

and note how none of the supposed "unbiased" old era fans (LAZERUSS, L. Kizzle) even corrected him when that is one of the most ridiculous non-trolling comments i have ever seen on this forum...good god

Wrong thread...

andremiller07
02-19-2015, 12:31 AM
Who cares?

Why are people so obsessed with how someone would do in this era that era....the fact is no one know's it's all guessing. It's just a bunch irrelevant stats and mythical tales about players since you always remember people were better than they actually were when you watched them.

How would Pere Maravich do today?

Answer:
No one knows dude is dead.

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 12:33 AM
there were like 5 people who averaged 30 ppg in 06. Inflated stats year. nobody is over 28 this year but Pistol Pete would be? :oldlol: GTFO.
KD was getting 32 just last season.

I could see him getting 30 today, it's very possible. He was gettin 31 with no three point shots. A few seasons later, Adrian Dantley avg 30 points four times in a row and he did it with 4 three pointers made total.

LAZERUSS
02-19-2015, 12:33 AM
Who cares?

Why are people so obsessed with how someone would do in this era that era....the fact is no one know's it's all guessing. It's just a bunch irrelevant stats and mythical tales about players since you always remember people were better than they actually were when you watched them.

How would Pere Maravich do today?

Answer:
No one knows dude is dead.

If Rubio can start in the current NBA, Pistol Pete would be a star in the league.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 12:36 AM
KD was getting 32 just last season.

I could see him getting 30 today, it's very possible. He was gettin 31 with no three point shots. A few seasons later, Adrian Dantley avg 30 points four times in a row and he did it with 4 three pointers made total.

Kevin Durant as a scorer >> Pistol Pete....and yes KD put up 32/6/6 but who was #2? Melo with like 27, iirc? Scoring 30 points in the modern NBA is extremely tough and Pistol Pete is just not in that tier of player who would do it...He's really gonna average 8 more ppg than LeBron, Harden, Westbrook etc....:oldlol:

35/5/7 is ****ing absurd...the list of people who've done that in the 3 point era is extremely small...in fact it's non existant

Link (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&birth_state=&college_id=&is_active=&debut_yr_nba_start=&debut_yr_nba_end=&debut_yr_aba_start=&debut_yr_aba_end=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&award=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=pts_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=35&c2stat=trb_per_g&c2comp=gt&c2val=5&c3stat=ast_per_g&c3comp=gt&c3val=7&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws)

LAZERUSS
02-19-2015, 12:36 AM
Again he's dead.......it's over we don't know...

You tell me that THIS guy wouldn't be a star in TODAY's NBA...

andremiller07
02-19-2015, 12:38 AM
You tell me that THIS guy wouldn't be a star in TODAY's NBA...

I don't know I have never seen him play in todays NBA nor do I think I will get a chance to.

LAZERUSS
02-19-2015, 12:40 AM
I don't know I have never seen him play in todays NBA nor do I think I will get a chance to.

How do you think Hakeem would do in today's NBA?

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 12:40 AM
Kevin Durant as a scorer >> Pistol Pete....and yes KD put up 32/6/6 but who was #2? Melo with like 27, iirc? Scoring 30 points in the modern NBA is extremely tough and Pistol Pete is just not in that tier of player who would do it...He's really gonna average 8 more ppg than LeBron, Harden, Westbrook etc....:oldlol:
What do you mean 8 more points, isn't Harden getting like 27-28 this season, that's only a bucket more to 30 for Pistol Pete.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 12:41 AM
I was referring to the 35 total given...Even still you think Pistol Pete would outscore LeBron, Harden, Curry, Westbrook by a fairly considerable margin. I'm sorry that is a joke.

dubeta
02-19-2015, 12:41 AM

Would be the 5th best Center in the league, possibly 4th depending on which version of Hakeem you are referring to

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 12:42 AM
Best center by a clear margin.

LAZERUSS
02-19-2015, 12:44 AM
Would be the 5th best Center in the league, possibly 4th depending on which version of Hakeem you are referring to

First of all...REALLY?

Secondly...

A 39 year old Kareem ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coHMKlx7Was&playnext=1&videos=YqP06ya0k4w

Then think about this...Kareem was in his prime in the '76-77 season, and averaged 26.2 ppg...which was well behind Pistol Pete's 31.1 ppg.

navy
02-19-2015, 12:45 AM
He would be fine. 35/7/5 though? Come on now. Kobe "only" averaged 35 in his biggest green light season.

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 12:49 AM
I was referring to the 35 total given...Even still you think Pistol Pete would outscore LeBron, Harden, Curry, Westbrook by a fairly considerable margin. I'm sorry that is a joke.
Where is this magical number 35 coming from?

If Pete could put up the shots he needs to get to 30, he'd get 30. 25+ shots a game. Iverson put up 28 as did Pistol to get 30+ points.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 12:51 AM

If Pete could put up the shots he needs to get to 30, he'd get 30. 25+ shots a game. Iverson put up 28 as did Pistol to get 30+ points.

Iverson did that like 15 years ago...in an extremely tough defensive era...if he is truly the type to chuck 28 shots per game in today's league he wouldn't be playing that much..he's not gonna be allowed to do that. no way.

35 comes from the OP.

atljonesbro
02-19-2015, 12:51 AM

s.
Why are you inputing your opinion in a thread where you don't even read the OP?

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 12:53 AM
Thread title was good enough for me. His opinion is 35 pts. Mine is right around 30.

navy
02-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Thread title was good enough for me. His opinion is 35 pts. Mine is right around 30.
Highest scorer in the nba?

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Iverson did that like 15 years ago...in an extremely tough defensive era...if he is truly the type to chuck 28 shots per game in today's league he wouldn't be playing that much..he's not gonna be allowed to do that. no way.

35 comes from the OP.
When AI put up 33 pts, he only needed 25 shots to do it.

Ariza4three
That's why I will be negging him tomorrow.

atljonesbro
He'd average 25 max lol. He's not a better scorer than guys like Durant, LeBron, harden, ect.

L.Kizzle
Highest scorer in the nba?
Yeah, why not?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 12:56 AM
05-06 is an inflated stats year that was 9 years ago....means nothing.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 12:57 AM
So pistol pete is a better scorer than Durant/LeBron now...Serious question, you guys suffering from alzheimers?

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 12:57 AM
He'd average 25 max lol. He's not a better scorer than guys like Durant, LeBron, harden, ect.
Who's a better scorer, Gilbert Arenas or Carmelo Anthony?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 12:59 AM

Prime for prime? It's close. Melo is overrated.

Ariza4three
So pistol pete is a better scorer than Durant/LeBron now...Serious question, you guys suffering from alzheimers?
this is why people don't take these old morons seriously. they act like lbj, kobe or w/e stans are bad but they are worse with straight up delusion. no one even regards pistol pete as a player on the tier of someone like lbj but he'd put up better numbers than him lol.

atljonesbro
:facepalm

You're just delusional. He played in a weak ass era and put up numbers. 25 ppg in today's game is a very generous number. He'd probably a average 20-22 ppg

Ariza4three
02-19-2015, 01:00 AM
pete would be closer to jimmer fredette than lebron james in this era. not even trolling.

navy
02-19-2015, 01:01 AM
He would probably be a 25 point scorer in his peak years on a good team. 30-35? Nah. Nobody is taking enough shots today to make that even be reasonable. Not that it would be impossible, just highly unlikely.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 01:01 AM
pete would be closer to jimmer fredette than lebron james in this era. not even trolling.
I'm not even saying that he would suck...but 30+points? GTFO :oldlol: If he's idiotic to chuck enough to get close to that he'll get benched thus not achieving it...lmfao...

DonDadda59
02-19-2015, 01:02 AM
Pistol = a more athletic Steph Curry. He'd have a State Farm twin brother and everything. They'd call him Shotgun Steve Maravich and he'd save you a shit load on your insurance premiums.

dubeta
02-19-2015, 01:02 AM
Yup this dude,

https://prohoopshistory.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/pistol-between-the-legs.jpg

Would score more than this guy

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-svZRWgDVIVM/U59iAtBgVLI/AAAAAAAAHpM/i6KIeZ6pdjk/s1600/leb3.gif

#weakeralogic

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 01:05 AM
:facepalm

You're just delusional. He played in a weak ass era and put up numbers. 25 ppg in today's game is a very generous number. He'd probably a average 20-22 ppg
Thing is no one was close to him in scoring that season, he ran away with the scoring title.

Pete was usually 25-26 a game besides that year, because he took the shots. Like I said, if he got enough shots he'd get to 30.

dubeta
02-19-2015, 01:06 AM
Thing is no one was close to him in scoring that season, he ran away with the scoring title.

Pete was usually 25-26 a game besides that year, because he took the shots. Like I said, if he got enough shots he'd get to 30.

You could say that about any player

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 01:07 AM
You could say that about any player
Okay, so what's the problem then? Are you saying he wouldn't be aloud to get that many shots off, or he's not good enough to get that many off?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 01:07 AM

Except the entire point is that he would have to change the way he played to be successful today...ie play a more team oriented game...which he certainly could be capable of...but it won't result in goddy point totals.

heck the OP says he think he would play a more team oriented game yet still has him averaging 35 ppg...:oldlol:

dubeta
02-19-2015, 01:09 AM
Okay, so what's the problem then? Are you saying he wouldn't be aloud to get that many shots off, or he's not good enough to get that many off?

no way he gets 30 on more than 35% shooting and he will hurting his team in the process

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 01:12 AM
Except the entire point is that he would have to change the way he played to be successful today...ie play a more team oriented game...which he certainly could be capable of...but it won't result in goddy point totals.

heck the OP says he think he would play a more team oriented game yet still has him averaging 35 ppg...:oldlol:
What is prime Iverson doing in todays league? How is Russell Westbrook playing if he's the main guy on a team?

DonDadda59
02-19-2015, 01:15 AM

Who says he'd have to do that? He could be like modern day chubby, pasty, unathletic White guy Kevin Love (and let's be real, if K-Love had played in the 60-70s, you clowns would be spouting the same bullshit about him that you're doing Pistol now) and put up monster stats on shitty teams, then maybe play a 'team oriented game' after being traded and his stats taper off.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 01:16 AM
What is prime Iverson doing in todays league? How is Russell Westbrook playing if he's the main guy on a team?
Prime Iverson is a better scorer than Pistol Pete.

He would put up like 28-30 on mediocre percentages.

As for Westbrook, that depends on the team...on a slower grinding team like the Bulls in 2011 i think he would mimic Rose's production..slightly more points slightly worse team management.

Ariza4three
02-19-2015, 01:16 AM
Old heads looking like fools as usual. The new generation stays winning and they keep losing. If you're nearing 30 in this thread, come hold this L.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 01:20 AM
Who says he'd have to do that? He could be like modern day chubby, pasty, unathletic White guy Kevin Love (and let's be real, if K-Love had played in the 60-70s, you clowns would be spouting the same bullshit about him that you're doing Pistol now) and put up monster stats on shitty teams, then maybe play a 'team oriented game' after being traded and his stats taper off.

No. I wouldn't say Kevin Love would suck and nowhere did I say Pistol Pete would suck either. He just isn't scoring 10% more points than anybody in the league.

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 01:23 AM

He would put up like 28-30 on mediocre percentages.

As for Westbrook, that depends on the team...on a slower grinding team like the Bulls in 2011 i think he would mimic Rose's production..slightly more points slightly worse team management.
Damn Iverson can't get 30 today? Is Jordan even sniffing
the 30 point mark?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 01:24 AM
Damn Iverson can't get 30 today? Is Jordan even sniffing
the 30 point mark?
Jordan is a better scorer than Iverson...

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 01:27 AM
Jordan is a better scorer than Iverson...
Ao Jordan is the only guy scoring 30 in the league today and everyone else is around 25.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 01:29 AM
Ao Jordan is the only guy scoring 30 in the league today and everyone else is around 25.
No. i just said Iverson would average roughly around 30..pretty much what he averaged in his prime..there are others who would be around that mark as well...

Durant for one...

DonDadda59
02-19-2015, 01:31 AM
No. I wouldn't say Kevin Love would suck and nowhere did I say Pistol Pete would suck either. He just isn't scoring 10% more points than anybody in the league.

Why is that so hard to believe? If Kevin Durant (another dude who would be considered a weak era scrub had he played in the 60s-70s) was healthy, good chance he'd do what he did last year. He had 32 PPG, next closest guy was at 27 PPG. And he did that on a title contender, not on a shitty squad where he had an Iversonian/Kobe green light. When Pistol won the scoring title in '77, he averaged 31 PPG, next closest guy was at 26.6

So there's several precedents for it in NBA history, including recent history, and Pete accomplished the feat in his own time (beating out guy like Kareem, Dave Thompson, and Bob McAdoo AKA Durant if Durant could do a single rep of 185 lbs on the bench press :oldlol: ).

But yeah, impossible.

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 01:34 AM
If pretty much any all star were given a neon green light they would put up 30 ppg...so it isn't impossible...he just doesn't have the talent to justify that many shot attempts, unlike Kobe in his prime...his team would be terrible because of it

navy
02-19-2015, 01:36 AM
Kevin Durant got to 32 (not even 35 lol) because he was hitting at ridiculous percentages. You really think Pistol Pete is gonna compare to him?

DatAsh
02-19-2015, 01:36 AM

Pete did what he wanted, and he never really played a team oriented game or was too concerned with winning. Why would he do that today?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-19-2015, 01:38 AM
Pete did what he wanted, and he never really played a team oriented game or was too concerned with winning. Why would he do that today?
So you're saying he wouldn't be a good player?

DonDadda59
02-19-2015, 01:39 AM
If pretty much any all star were given a neon green light they would put up 30 ppg...so it isn't impossible...he just doesn't have the talent to justify that many shot attempts, unlike Kobe in his prime...his team would be terrible because of it

Yeah, which is the point. So looks like we're done here? :confusedshrug:

And Kobe's teams weren't shit when he was out there jacking shots like it was the Apocalypse. It would be no different with the Pistol. If 5'11" Iverson could put up 33 PPG at 30 years old in this 'advanced D era' (:oldlol: ), don't see why a scorer as gifted and prolific as Pistol Pete couldn't.

Kevin Durant got to 32 (not even 35 lol) because he was hitting at ridiculous percentages. You really think Pistol Pete is gonna compare to him?

Iverson and Kobe were at 33-35 PPG on shit %s after the rule changes... why wouldn't the guy who beat out Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Dave Thompson, and Bob McAdoo for the scoring title in a landslide be able to do the same under similar circumstances?

And he did that without the benefit of 3s for the vast majority of his career. Do yourself a favor and look at how Pete shot from 3 when he was a shadow of his prime self near the end of his career.

DatAsh
02-19-2015, 01:41 AM
So you're saying he wouldn't be a good player?

Depends what you mean. He'd put up great stats.

If my goal is to win, then no, I wouldn't want him on my team. His stats would attract too high a price.

atljonesbro

And Kobe's teams weren't shit when he was out there jacking shots like it was the Apocalypse. It would be no different with the Pistol. If 5'11" Iverson could put up 33 PPG at 30 years old in this 'advanced D era' (:oldlol: ), don't see why a scorer as gifted and prolific as Pistol Pete couldn't.
That's a terrible point and argument considering any nba player in nba history COULD put up 30 ppg. Problem is for most guys such as Pistol Pete it would be at a detriment to their team.

RoundMoundOfReb

Iverson's 33 PPG came in an inflated stats year.

And Kobe was actually efficient. around 55-58% TS those years.

SHAQisGOAT
02-19-2015, 01:44 AM
For instance, Pistol Pete ran away with the scoring title in a league with Kareem, McAdoo, Iceman Gervin, David Thompson, Rick Barry, Dr J, Elvin Hayes...

^I'm not even comparing them as scorers or saying he was a better scorer than some of those guys, but that actually happened, those are the facts.

Oh, and that's WITHOUT a 3pt line while Pistol had that 4pt range, that's WITH (the "real") handchecking and much more physicality making it harder for perimter players while Pete was a SG.
And his team didn't have another go-to scorer, another at least good scorer... Everybody was ganging up on Pete.

That's debatable.

Harden? Imo, yes he is.

Let's not confuse being a better scorer with scoring more PPG though...

Pistol = a more athletic Steph Curry. He'd have a State Farm twin brother and everything. They'd call him Shotgun Steve Maravich and he'd save you a shit load on your insurance premiums.

:lol :applause:

On the real, Curry's game has many similarities to Maravich's, mostly their flair and style, the way they handle the ball, their finishing "ways" and some inside moves, shooting off the dribble, Steph emulates many of Pete's passes...

Like I've said before, to paint a picture, imagine something like Curry with Klay's body, while being a bit worse shooter but a better overall scorer, with more of a gunner's mentality, worse at finding the balance between scoring and passing, playing more for the show, with better passing skills but even more flashier and not using it as well...

Again, as far as stats I'd say something like, at his peak, 28/4/6 on 45/39 give or take a few depending on the "situations"...
He'd be getting scoring title(s) too, all-nba 1st at some point with some MVP votes, top10 plays would be always filled with his highlights, you can bet on many all-star game votes...

Don't know if his team would be winning much though, but that depends on many variables. He wasn't big on it but still did stuff like carry a sub-par team on his back to the vast majority of their wins in 1977

One of the most talented/skilled ever fo sure, at best average overall intangibles for the most part though...
If he played today - at his best - it would've been between him and Harden for best SG in the league, still.

DonDadda59
02-19-2015, 01:46 AM
That's a terrible point and argument considering any nba player in nba history COULD put up 30 ppg.

Tell that to any Knicks player not named Carmelo :oldlol:

Problem is for most guys such as Pistol Pete it would be at a detriment to their team.

Your point being? Were we discussing team success or individual production? :confusedshrug:

I've already acknowledged that in order for Pistol to get to 30 PPG like he did in his prime, he'd most likely be on shitty teams with green lights ala Kobe or Iverson when they were 33-35 PPG scorers post perimeter rule changes.

deja vu
02-19-2015, 02:05 AM
35ppg is absurd as only Jordan and Kobe were able to do that in the post NBA-ABA merger. And Pete was nowhere near Jordan and Kobe as a scorer.

I can see Pete averaging 28 ppg at his peak and 22 ppg for his career.

Straight_Ballin
02-19-2015, 02:20 AM
The pistol would be good for about 27ppg in today's flopper infested league. lol at 35, but anyone who thinks otherwise that he wouldn't get 27ppg on very flashy plays is some lil 15 year old who's balls haven't even dropped and who's mother should have swallowed.

Pointguard
02-19-2015, 03:02 AM
Why is that so hard to believe? If Kevin Durant (another dude who would be considered a weak era scrub had he played in the 60s-70s) was healthy, good chance he'd do what he did last year. He had 32 PPG, next closest guy was at 27 PPG. And he did that on a title contender, not on a shitty squad where he had an Iversonian/Kobe green light. When Pistol won the scoring title in '77, he averaged 31 PPG, next closest guy was at 26.6

So there's several precedents for it in NBA history, including recent history, and Pete accomplished the feat in his own time (beating out guy like Kareem, Dave Thompson, and Bob McAdoo AKA Durant if Durant could do a single rep of 185 lbs on the bench press :oldlol: ).

But yeah, impossible.
In all fairness all of those guys had a bad fall off year that year. Billy Knight, in his first year in the league outscored all of them as well, and he never scored more than 23ppg the rest of his career.

Ariza4three
02-19-2015, 07:23 AM
The pistol would be good for about 27ppg in today's flopper infested league. lol at 35, but anyone who thinks otherwise that he wouldn't get 27ppg on very flashy plays is some lil 15 year old who's balls haven't even dropped and who's mother should have swallowed.
Our opinion matters more. You'll be gone in 3 years.

SugarHill
02-19-2015, 09:49 AM
The most impressive aspect of his game was his passing. He was doing Larry Bird passes but with Kevin love outlet range :biggums:

D-FENS
02-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Jimmer

SHAQisGOAT
02-19-2015, 11:39 AM
The most impressive aspect of his game was his passing. He was doing Larry Bird passes but with Kevin love outlet range :biggums:

Dude's passing skills were crazy, unreal creativity but you can also see terrific fundamental-sound passes... If he was looking more for the pass, if he found a better balance between scoring/playmaking, if he toned down on the flashy stuff (and even played in a later era), also if he didn't try too much and too hard with his dribbling, he could've been one of the most effective players in terms of playmaking/passing.
I've seen footage of him throwing perfect bounce passes with the proper spin, from half-court, right on target...

Bird, imho, is the GOAT outlet passer though.

Straight_Ballin
02-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Our opinion matters more. You'll be gone in 3 years.

Lol kids these days....learn what an NES is before you speak

oarabbus
02-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Put Pete on the Spurs under Popovich and he could average

23/12 on 45%

Dude put up 33/5 as a chucking ballhog with god given talent passing ability. Put him under Popovich, he easily averages 20/10

Dave_520
06-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Love how little kids run their ignorant mouth, without knowing what they're talking about :facepalm

Anyways...
Are we assuming he's still coached by his father in college? That he still masters the game at a very young age, then getting "bored" with simple stuff? That he still reaches star-status as a teen? That he's also never coached, in the pros, by a great coach who really lays into him and teaches him valuable things?

^If so, he would've been what he was... One of the most talented/skilled all-time players but with intangibles on the other end of the spectrum.

For comparisons sake, picture something like Curry with Klay's body, not QUITE that good of a shooter but a better overall scorer, with more of a gunner's mentality and even flashier, playing less for the team/win.
Rubio has a lot of Pete in him, let's say, in his dribbling and passing, but Pistol was on another planet as a shooter/scorer and was bigger too.

That's playing for a weaker team that forces him to do more. A bit less points and a bit more assists with a bit higher efficiency playing for a better team.

One thing though is that he would've been better suited for today's game, and MUCH more hyped too.
Back in the day all the upmost (unnecessary) flashy basketball and showboating was mostly frowned upon by most coaches, players and hardcore fans... Nowdays it's much different.
You also have a 3pt line now, perimeter oriented game and "rules", no handchecking, teammates expect more of that flashy stuff/passes.

He also did many moves on the regular that later on became "signature" moves for plenty of great players, even did shit that was never duplicated since.
Also, one way or another, he's one of the biggest influences the game has ever seen, just look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfWkiO2Iz08

Regardless of anything else, one of the most exciting and one of the most talented/skilled players ever:

Some "variables" are hard to predict but he'd wreck shit up yesterday or today, despite of everything else (winning, intangibles...). And he'd easily be better suited and more recognized in this era.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

THANK you. I sat down reading the thread, and the rattle from my jaw hitting the ground knocked a picture frame off of my wall.

Some eras are def weaker than others, but you could deposit Pete into any team in any era and he would instantly make that team twice as good...

catch24
06-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Love how little kids run their ignorant mouth, without knowing what they're talking about

Anyways...

I have no idea who you are, but wow, GREAT posts. :applause: At least there are still people who discuss basketball on here.

OT- We need more footage of Maravich. I've seen the same highlights on YT, but would like more game-edits, and maybe even full games (unlisted).

warriorfan
06-27-2015, 10:50 PM
ShaQ said some true things in this thread but Pete didn't have the body of Klay Thompson. Klay is a lot bigger than Pistol Pete.

SHAQisGOAT
06-28-2015, 12:10 AM
ShaQ said some true things in this thread but Pete didn't have the body of Klay Thompson. Klay is a lot bigger than Pistol Pete.

That's not a matter of opinion, really... Klay's 6'5.75" without shoes on, weighs around 205 lbs, Pete stood at a bit higher than 6'5'' w/o shoes on, entered the league at 197 lbs.

I even remember reading an article, recently, about Pete shedding down from over 215 to 205, then putting on 5 pounds of muscle, just before the Celtics pre-season in '81... Because he had to 'change' his game due to severe knee injury. He quickly retired due to beef with coach Fitch though.

So yea, Thompson's a bit taller and about the same weight as a peak/prime Maravich.
Certainly what you'd call "a lot bigger" :rolleyes:

Also, for example, this dude...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/history/legends/julius-erving/julius-erving-300b.jpg

http://gamasutra.com/features/20070216/ervingandbird.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/87/81/77/878177765feb0d80a869da2f7e23528f.jpg

... had this to say about Pistol Pete:

What nobody ever talks about with Pete Maravich is that he's a big guy. Not only is he tall, at over 6'5", but he is well-built, muscular, strong.

SHAQisGOAT
06-28-2015, 12:20 AM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

THANK you. I sat down reading the thread, and the rattle from my jaw hitting the ground knocked a picture frame off of my wall.

Some eras are def weaker than others, but you could deposit Pete into any team in any era and he would instantly make that team twice as good...

I have no idea who you are, but wow, GREAT posts. :applause: At least there are still people who discuss basketball on here.

OT- We need more footage of Maravich. I've seen the same highlights on YT, but would like more game-edits, and maybe even full games (unlisted).

:cheers:

True, NBA needs to release stuff like that if they have it, pretty sure they have more than what's out there now.
And the only single-game edits I've seen are these ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiQgmj3bCW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqnpxhFWhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut3R7SViJlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emcsF4R7O4I

warriorfan
06-28-2015, 12:58 AM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Klay_Thompson_in_2015.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172/Clemonskid/PistolPete.jpg