PDA

View Full Version : Why is the New York Knicks a "Storied" Franchise?

Koresh
02-18-2015, 07:04 PM
I could never understand this. The Lakers are storied. The Celtics are storied, hell, even the Bulls are storied, but the Knicks? Why? Is it because of where they play (New York)? They haven't won a championship since Richard Nixon was in office. The last time they run a championship was the same year "Soylent Green" was in theaters. "Soylent Green is people!!!!!!!!!!" Every time someone plays for the Knicks or someone talks about the Knicks, they say it's storied. One championship? :biggums: :facepalm

Yes, I loved the Knicks as a kid. I loved the Ewing era. I loved how Riley coached them but I don't get this at all. Hell, the Blazers should be storied if the Knicks are. By the way, how is Madison Square Garden the world's most famous arena? It's America's most famous. America isn't the world, good lord.

Can someone give me some insight here on the OP, please? :banghead: :hammerhead:

Done_And_Done
02-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Location, Location, Location!

The fact that that they play in New York and their fans are basketball crazy.

The franchise itself isn't rich in history though when you compare them to the likes of LA, Chicago, Boston etc. Their story is marred by countless failure but the fact still remains.... They play in New York (the proverbial mecca)

outbreak
02-18-2015, 07:12 PM
Storied doesn't necessarily mean good stories does it?

PsychoBe
02-18-2015, 07:29 PM
because jesus died on the cross the same year they won a championship

305Baller
02-18-2015, 07:30 PM
They have stories.

senelcoolidge
02-19-2015, 12:29 AM
I don't get it either. For a "storied" franchise they only have a 49.6% winning percentage. They have sucked a lot. Not just now, but throughout their history. They had fantastic teams in the early 70's and even won 2 championships..but that's really it. That was more than 40 years ago. They had some good teams in the 90's that came up short. So how are they "storied"?

24-Inch_Chrome
02-19-2015, 12:33 AM
The Toronto Maple Leafs are still technically a storied hockey team despite their last championship coming in 1967. They're being kept afloat by the market they exist in and their delusional fanbase, exact same situation as in New York (though the Leafs have a respectable 14 total championships).

imdaman99
02-19-2015, 01:39 AM
Lacking championships but they provided the 3 best rivalries in the NBA in the 90s.

Knicks-Bulls
Knicks-Pacers
Knicks-Heat

It's a shame how far they have fallen... but it's basically because of location why everyone will still talk about them even if they are terrible. There is a dumbass poster on here who calls them irrelevant yet posts about them all the time. How irrelevant are they if you talk about them all the time?

dubeta
02-19-2015, 01:43 AM
Lacking championships but they provided the 3 best rivalries in the NBA in the 90s.

Knicks-Bulls
Knicks-Pacers
Knicks-Heat

It's a shame how far they have fallen... but it's basically because of location why everyone will still talk about them even if they are terrible. There is a dumbass poster on here who calls them irrelevant yet posts about them all the time. How irrelevant are they if you talk about them all the time?

And they've failed miserably in all those rivalries

Bobcats2013
02-19-2015, 01:44 AM
Linsanity wouldn't be Linsanity if it happened in Minnesota.

gts
02-19-2015, 01:45 AM
Nobody said it was a good story... :lol

SamuraiSWISH
02-19-2015, 01:48 AM

Knicks-Bulls
Knicks-Pacers
Knicks-Heat
True. Throw

Lakers-Celtics
Bulls-Pistons
Lakers-Spurs

and maybe Heat-Bulls

Into that mix ... and you're right. What makes the Knicks a storied franchise, and deservingly so is the following:

70's: Frazier, Monroe, Reed
90's: Ewing, Starks, Oakley, Mason
Best Talent Breeding Ground w/ Chicago

L.Kizzle
02-19-2015, 01:50 AM
Because they are one of only three original teams from 1946 including Philadelphia Warriors and Boston Celtics.

Bobcats2013
02-19-2015, 01:51 AM
And they've failed miserably in all those rivalries

nikka pls u were sitting on ur porta potty taking stinky little shets watching ren and stimpy when the knicks-pacers were going at each others throats

Droid101
02-19-2015, 01:52 AM

Knicks-Bulls
Knicks-Pacers
Knicks-Heat

No. Those "rivalries" were shit and nobody but New Yorkers wanted to see them win any of them.

New York Knicks are shit.

gilalizard
02-19-2015, 01:57 AM
Stories is all they got left. Don't be cruel. Don't take that away from them too.

Dr.J4ever
02-19-2015, 01:59 AM
It's the media, plain and simple.

The have the biggest and loudest media in the country. Whatever the NY media says reverberates around the country, not just in basketball, but for politics, sports, and culture too.

In the NBA, the 76ers are a more storied franchise without a doubt. We produced 2 of the greatest teams in NBA history in 1967 and 1983, and our Mt. Rushmore of players can match or exceed any Mt. Rushmore group of players from any franchise, without exception.

Beastmode88
02-19-2015, 02:01 AM
-One of two franschises who stayed in their original location.
-Located in new york (mecca of basketball).
-First ever nba game was knicks vs toronto.
-1990s new york (defense)

305Baller
02-19-2015, 02:02 AM
Stories is all they got left. Don't be cruel. Don't take that away from them too.

:D

deja vu
02-19-2015, 02:07 AM
They have stories of failures. :lol

bluechox2
02-19-2015, 02:26 AM
for one who is sitting in the middle of a corn field, you wouldn't hear much of a story

305Baller
02-19-2015, 02:29 AM
It's a multiple storied franchise.

1st floor= failure
2nd floor= disappointment
3rd floor= the name "Knickerbockers"

The Iron Sheik
02-19-2015, 02:33 AM
there are many stories of the knicks losing and generally being a worthless franchise. what are you talking about op?

Spurs5Rings2014
02-19-2015, 02:54 AM
It's the media, plain and simple.

The have the biggest and loudest media in the country. Whatever the NY media says reverberates around the country, not just in basketball, but for politics, sports, and culture too.

In the NBA, the 76ers are a more storied franchise without a doubt. We produced 2 of the greatest teams in NBA history in 1967 and 1983, and our Mt. Rushmore of players can match or exceed any Mt. Rushmore group of players from any franchise, without exception.

I agree with this, but could you post up the 76ers' Mt. Rushmore as well? Just curious and I respect your opinion on this forum more than most.

:cheers:

kshutts1
02-19-2015, 03:08 AM
I agree with this, but could you post up the 76ers' Mt. Rushmore as well? Just curious and I respect your opinion on this forum more than most.

Not even looking, but you have players like..

Wilt
Moses
Doc
Greer
Bobby Jones
Toney
AI
Dikembe
Chet Walker (for some reason, I thought he was on the Sixers)
Luke Jackson
... some really good players have been on Philly. Really good.

SouBeachTalents
02-19-2015, 03:10 AM

Gotta be something like Wilt, Moses, Dr. J, and AI

La Frescobaldi
02-19-2015, 09:45 AM
I could never understand this. The Lakers are storied. The Celtics are storied, hell, even the Bulls are storied, but the Knicks? Why? Is it because of where they play (New York)? They haven't won a championship since Richard Nixon was in office. The last time they run a championship was the same year "Soylent Green" was in theaters. "Soylent Green is people!!!!!!!!!!" Every time someone plays for the Knicks or someone talks about the Knicks, they say it's storied. One championship? :biggums: :facepalm

Yes, I loved the Knicks as a kid. I loved the Ewing era. I loved how Riley coached them but I don't get this at all. Hell, the Blazers should be storied if the Knicks are. By the way, how is Madison Square Garden the world's most famous arena? It's America's most famous. America isn't the world, good lord.

Can someone give me some insight here on the OP, please? :banghead: :hammerhead:
2 championships not one and they went to the Finals every year from 70 to 73

A 4 season complete beat down of the NBA that was only stopped from a 4 peat by the '71 Bucks, in the argument for greatest team ever, and the '72 Lakers, in the argument for greatest team ever. THEY WON TWICE DURING THE HARDEST NBA ERA EVER SEEN.

Their starting 5 had 4 Top Fifty NBA players and a Hall of Famer, their coach was one of the greatest in history and is in the Hall of Fame, and their 6th man became one of the 2 or 3 greatest coaches in history named P Jax.

They also suffered the most storied and humiliating defeat in NBA history by having Chamberlain go for a hundred in their face.

But the real story is what they did to Walt Frazier by sending him to Siberia and that is why they sucked for 40 years and that is why they will suck for 40 more. Because that is what they deserve for doing what they did to my all-time favorite player and the Greatest Knick Ever. To suck.

Marchesk
02-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Gotta be something like Wilt, Moses, Dr. J, and AI

You're missing a PF:

http://www.totpi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/020212155.jpg

Are 76ers fans salty Chuck went to Phoenix?

Marchesk
02-19-2015, 10:31 AM
As to the OP, the Cubs are storied. You don't have to win recent titles to be considered storied.

MMM
02-19-2015, 11:15 AM
They were probably a top 5 franchise prior to 2000. That IT era really set them back

Here are the teams with a higher win % than the Knicks. Seems like they are still a top 10 franchise of all time

Los Angeles Lakers
San Antonio Spurs
Boston Celtics
Phoenix Suns
Oklahoma City Thunder
Portland Trail Blazers
Utah Jazz
Philadelphia 76ers
Chicago Bulls
Miami Heat
Houston Rockets
Milwaukee Bucks
Indiana Pacers
Dallas Mavericks
Denver Nuggets
Atlanta Hawks

kentatm
02-19-2015, 11:45 AM
The Chicago Cubs are a storied franchise yet they haven't won a World Series since 1908 and haven't even been to one since 1945.

stephanieg
02-19-2015, 01:30 PM
The Knicks are one of the oldest teams (http://www.nba.com/celtics/history/NBATeamsChronology.html) going back to the '40s and they never switched cities. Only other team that can say that is the Celtics.

JellyBean
02-19-2015, 01:39 PM

:coleman:

GreggPopazit
02-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Because comedies are stories too.

FireDavidKahn
02-19-2015, 02:05 PM
The Knicks have a historical record that is less than .500:lol You can't be a "storied" franchise with that:roll:

FireDavidKahn
02-19-2015, 02:08 PM
:oldlol: Relevancy can happen anywhere. Look at KG...He was a living icon during his MN years and has made over $300 million in contracts alone, without even including endorsements.

R.I.P.
02-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Storied doesn't necessarily mean good stories does it?

Mostly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy

avonbarksdale
02-19-2015, 02:24 PM
The Toronto Maple Leafs are still technically a storied hockey team despite their last championship coming in 1967. They're being kept afloat by the market they exist in and their delusional fanbase, exact same situation as in New York (though the Leafs have a respectable 14 total championships).

original 6 team with the 2nd most cups ever

most valued hockey franchise, and so many HOFers

dgaras
02-19-2015, 02:49 PM
best city in the world what u expect?

all i see is laker fans crying :applause:

Optimus Prime
02-19-2015, 02:51 PM
Because they're in New York.

Because over 40 (!) years ago, they were actually good and won championships.

That's just about it.

:kobe:

RoseCity07
02-19-2015, 03:01 PM
They are a storied franchise. Unfortunately the story is a comedy.

Marchesk
02-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Carmelo is a storied player.

Wally450
02-19-2015, 03:44 PM
because jesus died on the cross the same year they won a championship

:lol :applause: