PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Teague vs John Wall

Richesly
02-18-2015, 10:32 PM
Before we start, let's look at their season averages:

Jeff Teague 17/2.5/7.5 a game, as well as 2.7 TOPG, 1.7 SPG, and 0.5 BPG.
John Wall 17.4/4.5/10 a game, as well as 3.9 TOPG, 1.9 SPG, and 0.5 BPG.

From seeing these numbers, Wall is clearly the better player.. or is he?

Two similar point guards, with identical playstyles. The only difference is, John Wall is considered a top 5 PG, while Teague isn't.

Let us begin, shall we?

In the first game of the season, Teague went head to head with Wall in what was a great game.

Jeff teague scored 28 points, grabbed 3 assists, 3 boards, 3 steals, and only 2 turnovers. Jeff teague shot 8-19 from the field, and was 0-2 from 3.

John Wall scored 21 points, grabbed 13 assists, 7 rebounds, 0 steals, and 7 turnovers. John Wall shot 6-15 from the field, and was 2-5 from 3.

John Wall shot 40% and Jeff Teague shot 42%. Wall had much more assists than Teague, but you also have to consider Atlanta's system where no one dominates the ball during any play, and everyone gets assists, not just the PG. I am not making an excuse for Teague, as Wall still beats Teague in turnover per assist ratio.

Who won this match up? I'd say Teague.

Atlanta went on to win this game because of the awesome night Teague had, and Wall had no answer to stop him. In the 4th quarter, the Wizards finally put Garrett Temple on him, where Teague started struggling.

Also, Teague only played 32 minutes, compared to Wall's 40.

Second game.

Jeff Teague scored 11 points, 10 assists, 4 steals, 1 block, and 2 rebounds. He had 0 turnovers. He played 28 minutes, and shot 4-12 from the field. He struggled with his shooting, but made up for it with ferocious defense.

John Wall scored 15 points, 8 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, and 3 rebounds. He had 8 turnovers. He played 37 minutes, and shot 6-11 from the field. Wall had a pretty good shooting night, however, struggled taking care of the ball.

I'd say Teague takes game 2 also.

Wall and Teague both were not the best players on the team in this game. However, I would say Teague contributed more than Wall, due to his 10 assists to 0 turnover score, while Wall had the same amount of assists as he had turnovers. If I were speculating, had Teague played the same minutes as Wall, Teague would have also had a better scoring night. In Wall's defense, he played much BETTER defense on Teague than the game before. As I watched this game, Temple only guarded Teague 2-3 times the whole night(excluding switches). Wall definitely put 100% into defending Teague, which is most likely why both players did not have great games.

But who won game 3?

Jeff Teague scored 26 points, 8 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals, and 0 blocks. He had 4 turnovers. Teague shot 9-13 from the field and played 31 minutes.

John Wall scored 24 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds, 1 steal, and 0 blocks. He had 2 turnovers. Wall shot 9-15 from the field and played 40 minutes.

This is a close one. I am going to say it's Teague's win for the following reasons.

Wall was close to a very impressive triple double(unlike in the second game where his triple double almost included turnovers), and a better individual night than Teague. However, Teague scored 2 more points in 9 less minutes and on 2 less shot attempts. Speculating if Teague had played as much as Wall, Teague possibly could have been in double digits in assists and most likely a 30 point game. Hawks also went to win this game led by Teague.

These two seem like rivals to me. The way they play each other, go hard at each other, and actually are pretty damn physical in their games.

What is the true difference that seperates Teague from Wall? What makes Wall a top 5 point guard, rather than Teague?

This is just one match up, and the fourth game as yet to be played. Who knows? Maybe Wall will demolish Teague in the last match up of the season, but it sure is fun to watch these 2 similar PGs battle it out to the end.

dubeta
02-18-2015, 10:34 PM
They are both the 2 best point guards in the east, with Kyle Lowry being a close 3rd

Graviton
02-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Difference is Teague is leading the best team in the East, he is a tough competitor and the engine that keeps the Hawks going. He also doesn't airball wide open jumpers.

Clyde
02-18-2015, 10:41 PM
There`s little to no argument that Teague is better than Wall.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/atlanta-hawks/players/jeff-teague/comparison/14/1/14/438

JohnMax
02-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Teague has sick handles

Richesly
02-18-2015, 10:47 PM
There`s little to no argument that Teague is better than Wall.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fantasy/nba/atlanta-hawks/players/jeff-teague/comparison/14/1/14/438

Obviously, Wall was better than Teague in previous seasons.

But Teague has improved this season in every way.

It's not fair to count previous seasons, as this is the first season in Teague's career that he is a top 10 PG.

Teague's biggest improvements this season are his defense and decision making.

J Shuttlesworth
02-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Not to discredit either, but I think they're in the same tier. I think the Hawks would still be dominating if they had Wall instead of Teague

Richesly
02-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Not to discredit either, but I think they're in the same tier. I think the Hawks would still be dominating if they had Wall instead of Teague

If they are in the same tier, then why is Wall considered a Top 5 PG by pretty much everyone, and Teague isn't?

Richesly
02-18-2015, 10:54 PM
It's nice to see I got 2 negs already for making a legit debate thread that is 100% objective.

Seriously don't understand why I'm cursed to get neg after neg for no reason.

Clyde
02-18-2015, 10:55 PM
If they are in the same tier, then why is Wall considered a Top 5 PG by pretty much everyone, and Teague isn't?

Because Wall is obviously the leader, the franchise and their MVP.

Teague plays on a team with 3 other all-stars.

Clyde
02-18-2015, 10:56 PM
It's nice to see I got 2 negs already for making a legit debate thread that is 100% objective.

Seriously don't understand why I'm cursed to get neg after neg for no reason.

not sure what the negs are for, they arent coming from me.

Richesly
02-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Because Wall is obviously the leader, the franchise and their MVP.

Teague plays on a team with 3 other all-stars.

I see your point.

rhowen4
02-18-2015, 10:59 PM
How about the fourth game?

Jeff Teague had 2 points, 1 assist, 1 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 4 turnovers in 33 minutes. 1-9 from the field.

John Wall had a decent game with 33 points, 12 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block, and 5 turnovers in 34 minutes, 10-20 from the field.

I'd say Teague takes this game too. Not only did Teague miss fewer shots and have fewer turnovers than Wall, the Hawks also won the game. He did it in less minutes too, which helps his impact/win stat.

J Shuttlesworth
02-18-2015, 11:00 PM
Hmm....

Curry
Westbrook
CP3

That's the top tier

I'd put Teague/Wall/Kyrie/Lillard in the next tier. I couldn't give a shit if people call Wall a top 5 PG or not... you could make the same argument for Teague.

Graviton
02-18-2015, 11:00 PM

Jeff Teague had 2 points, 1 assist, 1 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 4 turnovers in 33 minutes. 1-9 from the field.

John Wall had a decent game with 33 points, 12 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block, and 5 turnovers in 34 minutes, 10-20 from the field.

I'd say Teague takes this game too. Not only did Teague miss fewer shots and have fewer turnovers than Wall, the Hawks also won the game. He did it in less minutes too, which helps his impact/win stat.
Finally an objective poster. :applause:

Richesly
02-18-2015, 11:02 PM

Clearly, if that were to actually happen, Wall takes the cake EASILY, regardless what team wins or not.

I don't get your point?

If you disagree with one of my picks, give me some insight as to why you do.

Not make up random stats and proceeding to mock me.

Nuff Said
02-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Even tho I like Teague, your post does show bias. Wall gets damn near a triple dub and you still give it to Teague? Based off opinionated hypotheticals and not facts? "If Teague played more minutes he'd do this and that." How the **** do you know? People get cold at times after being hot. Happens all the time. How can you credit someone for something they didn't do? That is obvious bias. Teague doesn't get looked at as much because quite simply Hawks were winning before Teague came back from injury. Wall is his team's best player no doubt but it isn't as clear cut with Teague.

Suguru101
02-18-2015, 11:07 PM
Difference is Teague is leading the best team in the East, he is a tough competitor and the engine that keeps the Hawks going. He also doesn't airball wide open jumpers.

He isn't leading shit. Horford and Millsap are both better than him.

Wall is the Wizard's best player. There is a difference.

Richesly
02-18-2015, 11:10 PM
Even tho I like Teague, your post does show bias. Wall gets damn near a triple dub and you still give it to Teague? Based off opinionated hypotheticals and not facts? "If Teague played more minutes he'd do this and that." How the **** do you know? People get cold at times after being hot. Happens all the time. How can you credit someone for something they didn't do? That is obvious bias. Teague doesn't get looked at as much because quite simply Hawks were winning before Teague came back from injury. Wall is his team's best player no doubt but it isn't as clear cut with Teague.

I am a passionate Hawk's fan and it can be difficult to not show minimum bias.

After reading your post and giving it some thought, I agree with you. I shouldn't give Teague the edge just because of hypothetical situations. Thing is, Wizards lost this game by 21 points, so it's just tough for me to give the edge to Wall. I watched the game, and I was in a Hawk's chat room and we did see Wall stat padding his assists numbers a little bit and we would yell STATPAD whenever he would do a lead pass to Gortat.

rhowen4
02-18-2015, 11:11 PM
Clearly, if that were to actually happen, Wall takes the cake EASILY, regardless what team wins or not.

I don't get your point?

If you disagree with one of my picks, give me some insight as to why you do.

Not make up random stats and proceeding to mock me.
pretty much every game is a statistical wash, which helps your overall point, but Teague outplaying Wall in every game in your eyes? 3-0 in favor of Teague? with you reasoning away each game, it seems biased to me.

i never liked H2H as a measure of players either, there are natural counters in matchups.

i don't want to detract from teague, but i think as of right now he's still fairly clearly behind wall

Dro
02-18-2015, 11:12 PM
He isn't leading shit. Horford and Millsap are both better than him.

Wall is the Wizard's best player. There is a difference.
This. Teague is not the focal point of the other team's defense...At TIMES he is but not all the time. Wall is the best player on the team. The defense is focused on stopping him at all times. Its not a knock on Teague, he's just in a better situation right now with a better team and coach.

Its the Harden/Thompson argument. Until Thompson is the #1 option on his team and doing what Harden is doing, I'm not putting him over Harden. Harden is doing his thing with or without Dwight on the court.......And he doesn't have great coaching either....

ralph_i_el
02-18-2015, 11:37 PM
Wall IS the Wizards offense. If he isn't making plays...chances are plays aren't getting made.

Teague is a really good player, but he's a cog, Wall is an engine.

LiLharvard
02-19-2015, 12:19 AM

John "Optimus Dime" Wall Vs Jeff "no nickname" Teague
What an intriguing discussion by none other than richesly.

Let's start off with how much easier Jeff Teague has it. He's playing on the best team in the league with 4 all stars; the system they play is more of a share system, not much pressure on old Jeff, just go out there and take over when necessary. Secondly, Dennis Shroeder is Jeff's back up. Perhaps the best back up in the league. John Wall's back up may aswell be a corpse his name is Andre Miller and he's 3000 years old. John Wall is leading the league in assists and probably the fastest point guard in the league. Jeff Teague is having a nice year, no EYE popping stating he's just playing nicely and his team happens to be the best in the East thanks to one of the most unexpected win streaks in nba history and it just so happened that Jeff Teague got an all star nod or else we wouldnt even be on here discussing this.

OP, its a tough one but i'm going with John Wall. I think Teague would struggle if he was put in John's position in Washington.

ralph_i_el
02-19-2015, 12:24 AM
John "Optimus Dime" Wall Vs Jeff "no nickname" Teague
What an intriguing discussion by none other than richesly.

Let's start off with how much easier Jeff Teague has it. He's playing on the best team in the league with 4 all stars; the system they play is more of a share system, not much pressure on old Jeff, just go out there and take over when necessary. Secondly, Dennis Shroeder is Jeff's back up. Perhaps the best back up in the league. John Wall's back up may aswell be a corpse his name is Andre Miller and he's 3000 years old. John Wall is leading the league in assists and probably the fastest point guard in the league. Jeff Teague is having a nice year, no EYE popping stating he's just playing nicely and his team happens to be the best in the East thanks to one of the most unexpected win streaks in nba history and it just so happened that Jeff Teague got an all star nod or else we wouldnt even be on here discussing this.

OP, its a tough one but i'm going with John Wall. I think Teague would struggle if he was put in John's position in Washington.
good post
If you swap Wall and Teague this season the Wizards don't make the playoffs.

LiLharvard
02-19-2015, 12:37 AM
good post

Ta, Ralph. No doubt, John is a machine i'm surprised he hasn't gone down with an injury!! Whitman defies logic every night. How many DNP's has Miller had and Temple is Running the point on occasion?? It's a disaster. And new's just in wiz are looking at Bobby Brown as a replacement back up PG (that wasn't a whitney houston joke). Who?

atljonesbro
02-19-2015, 12:50 AM
good post
What the hell? I know you're salty as he'll at this thread but you just sound flat out stupid.

Richesly
02-19-2015, 01:12 AM
good post

Thing is, do the Hawks do nearly as good?

Would Wall actually fit Bud's system?

Teague is a much better off ball player than Wall, I hope no one tries to argue this lol.

Sure, Hawks make the playoffs regardless, as there are other all stars on the team, unlike the Wizards(Beal is borderline all-star, as is Gortat).

And why wouldn't the wizards make the playoffs..? Teague is a top 10 PG still. It's not like you are replacing Wall with Darren Collison or Sessions

But would Wall contribute to bud's system more? No way Wall would average 10 apg with the Hawks, I don't think any PG, even Rondo could with the way the system is.

Also, can Wall resist playing hero ball, trying to take over games, run pick n rolls/pick n pops almost non-stop?

Teague has shown time and time again he can take over games but he actually doesn't do it, which is why the myth Hawks don't have a go to guy angers me.

Also, Wizards would still make the playoffs. Teague is a top 10 PG still. It's not like you are swapping Wall for Steve Blake or Ramon Sessions.

LiLharvard
02-19-2015, 01:14 AM
No one is taking anything away from what Jeff Teague has done this year he's been one of the best players on the Hawks. And is climbing the top 10 pg ladder :applause:
Step back and lettuce be reality just for one quick second and realise Jeff Teague can't do the things that John Wall can do.. Maybe Teague is a better shooter, but, he damn well ain't a great shooter and there's a bunch of things John Wall is better than Teague at so lets just put things in perspective. ATLJONESBRO even op has agreed that JOHN WALL > TEAGUE its great that you came in and threw your 2 cents in but the discussion/debate is over.

It's close if that makes you feel better? At least Atlanta has a good team this year! Washington started off nicely but they are slowly decaying because WALL HAS TO DO EVERYTHING. Just be thankful, that the hawks didn't become the supersonics this year and God reached out and blessed the franchise with that win streak its great for the nba and all the new fans that think the hawks are "cool" i'm loving it lettuce enjoy and pray that the hawks don't embarrass themselves with a first round exit i'm sure they won't they're looking really good atm.

atljonesbro
02-19-2015, 01:19 AM
No one is taking anything away from what Jeff Teague has done this year he's been one of the best players on the Hawks. And is climbing the top 10 pg ladder :applause:
Step back and lettuce be reality just for one quick second and realise Jeff Teague can't do the things that John Wall can do.. Maybe Teague is a better shooter, but, he damn well ain't a great shooter and there's a bunch of things John Wall is better than Teague at so lets just put things in perspective. ATLJONESBRO even op has agreed that JOHN WALL > TEAGUE its great that you came in and threw your 2 cents in but the discussion/debate is over. Basically stating the have no future or championship aspirations unless the make MAJOR moves

It's close if that makes you feel better? At least Atlanta has a good team this year! Washington started off nicely but they are slowly decaying because WALL HAS TO DO EVERYTHING. Just be thankful, that the hawks didn't become the supersonics this year and God reached out and blessed the franchise with that win streak its great for the nba and all the new fans that think the hawks are "cool" i'm loving it lettuce enjoy and pray that the hawks don't embarrass themselves with a first round exit i'm sure they won't they're looking really good atm.
What the hell are you talking about? I'm speaking facts that the guy is an idiot for saying the Wizards would MISS the playoffs replacing Wall with Teague. We can all agree he's an idiot. The wizards wouldn't be 21-31 right now. Unless he's admiting the Wizards basically have no depth and are a terrible team outside of Wall. Basically stating they have no future or championship aspirations unless they make MAJOR MOVES

RoseCity07
02-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Jeff Teague is not a star and is never going to be one. He is consistent but not great. John Wall is a player every team is scared of and tries to stop. I'm taking Wall. It's not even close.

masonanddixon
02-19-2015, 01:33 AM
Both overrated but I would rather have Teague because Wall has a shitty basketball IQ.

LiLharvard
02-19-2015, 01:35 AM
What the hell are you talking about? I'm speaking facts that the guy is an idiot for saying the Wizards would MISS the playoffs replacing Wall with Teague. We can all agree he's an idiot. The wizards wouldn't be 21-31 right now. Unless he's admiring the Wizards basically have no depth and are a terrible team outside of Wall.

Hi, there
look i don't want to insult your intelligence or anything but the wizards are playing guys like Drew Gooden, Rasual Butler, Garrett Temple and Andre Miller. This isn't exactly Paul Milsap, Dennis Shroeder, Mick Scott, Ken Bazemore and bunch of other hawks who seem to be playing out their minds and hats off to them i hope guys like Shroeder get big contracts and make it in this league.
Also, Bradley Beal was injured for at least half of those 31 games the wiz won... Garrett Temple was the starting shooting guard my memory serves me right.

So yea, Its completely possible the wiz are 21-31 ... are you aware the wiz have won the most game's by 3pts or less??? no probs not you're dumb and annoying as fk wish you knew what you were talking about for once

So in a nutshell wiz got off to a hot start and have gradually declined and are playing terrible basketball right now its no coincidence at all. John Wall is puffed and Bradley Beal isn't really contributing at the level we all thought...soooo i guess Ralph (previous poster) was pointing this out and i'm inclined to agree i think wizards record is extremely decieving and i wouldn't be surprised if things get a whole lot worse ok??? stop being an offended lil bitch no one is attacking you personally we are just talking about hypothetical situations deaarr gawwwd

atljonesbro
02-19-2015, 01:37 AM
Hi, there
look i don't want to insult your intelligence or anything but the wizards are playing guys like Drew Gooden, Rasual Butler, Garrett Temple and Andre Miller. This isn't exactly Paul Milsap, Dennis Shroeder, Mick Scott, Ken Bazemore and bunch of other hawks who seem to be playing out their minds and hats off to them i hope guys like Shroeder get big contracts and make it in this league.
Also, Bradley Beal was injured for at least half of those 31 games the wiz won... Garrett Temple was the starting shooting guard my memory serves me right.

So yea, Its completely possible the wiz are 21-31 ... are you aware the wiz have won the most game's by 3pts or less (DUMBASS)

So in a nutshell wiz got off to a hot start and have gradually declined and are playing terrible basketball right now its no coincidence either John Wall is puffed and bradley beal ain't doing shiit soooo i guess Ralph (previous poster) was pointing this out and i'm inclined to agree i think wizards record is extremely decieving and i wouldn't be surprised if things get a whole lot worse ok??? stop being an offended lil bitch no one is attacking you personally we are just talking about hypothetical situations deaarr gawwwd
Ok fine. If the Wizards are really in that much disarray I'll just write them off for winning a championship ever by default until they make MAJOR moves.

LiLharvard
02-19-2015, 01:41 AM
yea, you may aswell do that .. because thats what all previous posts were saying so maybe if you took time to read the thread before responding things would go your way a bit more.

Listen Jones, its been frustrating following the wizards and their lack of moves this year, and i can only wish my team was in the position that your team is so please don't add insult to injury.

atljonesbro
02-19-2015, 01:44 AM
yea, you may aswell do that .. because thats what all previous posts were saying so maybe if you took time to read the thread before responding things would go your way a bit more. DUMBASS

Listen Jones, its been frustrating following the wizards and their lack of moves this year, and i can only wish my team was in the position that your team is so please don't add insult to injury.
I have issue with the blatant disrespect toward Teague. Wall really isn't that much better than Teague at the end of the day, and they aren't shifting 12 wins by losing 3 assists a game and gaining a more efficient scorer.

Richesly
02-19-2015, 01:48 AM
Honestly, Wall is a better overall player, but what really seperates them? I mean one guy said that Teague is only a better shooter and Wall is better at everything else. I strongly disagree with that.

Teague is has a better bballiq than wall. Teague is arguably faster than Wall.(I personally think it's pretty even)

Teague, more importantly, and this is something that isn't on the box score or any stat, but he is more of a patient player than wall. Teague doesn't ever try to force things just to get his like wall does.

Teague is also, most importantly, a better defender than wall.

When it comes to isolation, wall is superior.

When Teague isolates, he shoots 40% from the field on his isos.
When Wall isolates, he shoots 44%. Wall also has 11 more points than Teague while isolating, and Teague isolates more frequent than wall.

This means that Wall is probably a better finisher than Teague, which I agree.

Wall is a better rebounder due to his size as well, and seems to be more "in control".

LiLharvard
02-19-2015, 01:53 AM
I really like Jeff Teague / i've expressed that in nearly every post.

I just think the wizards record, its deceiving. The wiz are treading a really fine line at the moment with all those really close wins and the lack of depth we have. I seriously thought the wiz would have someone like affallo or kevin martin by now but they dont and all they have is a bunch off nba journeyman/d league scrubbers.
It was pretty clear wasn't it when the hawks thrashed us by 30??? Do you really think that was all Jeff Teague or more the fact that the wizards just ain't that good and John Wall didn't play well that day... or the hawks have a lot of really good players and just were to much........The story goes a little something like that if you get my drift.

Richesly
02-19-2015, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the rep, rhowen. It's a shame 4 negs saying "Hawks suck", "annoying hawkfan" "gtfo" overshadow it.

I personally think negs should be removed perma.

To think I use to have 4 green bars...

JohnMax
02-19-2015, 02:39 AM
Teague vs Pacers (http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2014_EC1.html): 19.3 ppg 39.3%

Wall vs Pacers (http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2014_ECS.html): 14.2 ppg 36.8%

Jeff Teague gave the Pacers work and John Wall didn't

Richesly
02-19-2015, 02:40 AM
Teague vs Pacers (http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2014_EC1.html): 19.3 ppg 39.3%

Wall vs Pacers (http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2014_ECS.html): 14.2 ppg 36.8%

Jeff Teague gave the Pacers work and John Wall didn't

Hmm... can you find out the stats for each east team for both players? No reason to include western teams since wiz and hawks only face them twice.

swagga
02-19-2015, 07:16 AM
let me put it this way:

the key to stopping the wizards is john wall and teams are game planning for him
the key to stopping the hawks is stopping a system, and it is game planned accordingly.

teague fits in perfectly in the hawks system but he is replaceable.
wall is not replaceable.

Eric Cartman
02-19-2015, 08:07 AM
The difference between 2 all star point guards is minimal to none.

Quick, call the press.

ralph_i_el
02-19-2015, 10:45 AM
What the hell are you talking about? I'm speaking facts that the guy is an idiot for saying the Wizards would MISS the playoffs replacing Wall with Teague. We can all agree he's an idiot. The wizards wouldn't be 21-31 right now. Unless he's admiting the Wizards basically have no depth and are a terrible team outside of Wall. Basically stating they have no future or championship aspirations unless they make MAJOR MOVES
This is what I'm saying. Beal has been a disappointment, and I love him but he's injury prone. Gortat hasn't been great this year, Nene is limited by his planar faciitis. We have no backup point guard, no athletic scoring wing really.

We have enough talent to make the ECF and maybe get an upset due to size...if we're healthy and DESPITE the horribly lulzy offense that Wittman runs.

When John came back from injury 2 seasons ago the team went from like a 30 win pace to a 50 win pace the rest of the season. He holds the ball more than almost any player in the league if you look up possession stats. All this while wrecking havok on D. He's not the best PG in the league, but he's up there with Westbrook in terms of activity. The dude takes on a massive responsibility.

You put Teague on the Wiz and he puts up good stats on a bad team, and everybody else on the team is missing the easy looks Wall forcefeeds them.

The Wiz are multiple moves away from being legit contenders. The front office (while notoriously short sighted) has actually been trying to keep flexibility for 2016 (but the cap might expload in two years and make all our flexibility not matter). :(

I have a group message between me and all my wizards fan buddies, and it's been nothing but doom and gloom (and "wow, Otto was OK!") for weeks.

Papaya Petee
02-19-2015, 01:11 PM
Jeff Teague is not a star and is never going to be one. He is consistent but not great. John Wall is a player every team is scared of and tries to stop. I'm taking Wall. It's not even close.
Pretty much this. Wall by a landslide.

Jlamb47
02-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Wall > Teague

Westbrook/Curry/CP3/Wall/Irving/Lillard/Lowry > Teague

3peated
02-19-2015, 01:26 PM
system player

Clyde
02-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Honestly, Wall is a better overall player, but what really seperates them? I mean one guy said that Teague is only a better shooter and Wall is better at everything else. I strongly disagree with that.

Teague is has a better bballiq than wall. Teague is arguably faster than Wall.(I personally think it's pretty even)

Teague, more importantly, and this is something that isn't on the box score or any stat, but he is more of a patient player than wall. Teague doesn't ever try to force things just to get his like wall does.

When it comes to isolation, wall is superior.

When Teague isolates, he shoots 40% from the field on his isos.
When Wall isolates, he shoots 44%. Wall also has 11 more points than Teague while isolating, and Teague isolates more frequent than wall.

This means that Wall is probably a better finisher than Teague, which I agree.

Wall is a better rebounder due to his size as well, and seems to be more "in control".

Teague is has a better bballiq than wall

Opinion?

I don't understand how we as fans can judge a players basketball IQ without knowing whats being asked of a player.

Unless it's blatantly obvious like Javale.

Wrong, totally wrong.

hawksdogsbraves
02-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Wall is better than Teague but I think he's a little overrated on here. You're never going to win anything, (or even come close) with Wall as your best player.

The notion that the Hawks are much more talented than the Wiz is pretty laughable. Coaching is by far the biggest difference between the teams.

Vman23
02-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Wall is better than Teague but I think he's a little overrated on here. You're never going to win anything, (or even come close) with Wall as your best player.

The notion that the Hawks are much more talented than the Wiz is pretty laughable. Coaching is by far the biggest difference between the teams.

Hawks have 4 All-Stars....Wizards have one. Wizards don't even have other borderline All-Stars this year, just one. There is a clear difference in talent there.

hawksdogsbraves
02-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Hawks have 4 All-Stars....Wizards have one. Wizards don't even have other borderline All-Stars this year, just one. There is a clear difference in talent there.

Nobody would have thought/said that before the season. Not you and hell probably not me.

It's not like Millsap or Horford or Teague have taken some monumental step forward, they are all known quantities at this point. The difference is in how our guys have performed due to our coaching and system.

Richesly
02-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Teague is has a better bballiq than wall

Opinion?

I don't understand how we as fans can judge a players basketball IQ without knowing whats being asked of a player.

Unless it's blatantly obvious like Javale.

Wrong, totally wrong.

Let's see.

Field Goal Percentage of Opponent When Specified Player is Defending (through All-Star break):

Jeff Teague: 38.4%
John Wall: 42.4%

This means players shoot at a less percentage when Teague is guarding them rather than Wall.

John Wall has allowed 275 points scored against him in total against whoever he guards. Jeff Teague has only allowed 155.

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/ball-handler/?dir=-1&sort=TO&OD=defensive

Skim through these stats. Teague is better than Wall at basically each one.

Clyde
02-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Let's see.

Field Goal Percentage of Opponent When Specified Player is Defending (through All-Star break):

This means players shoot at a less percentage when Teague is guarding them rather than Wall.

John Wall has allowed 275 points scored against him in total against whoever he guards. Jeff Teague has only allowed 155.

this is a situation where I would argue that stats don't tell the entire story.

Richesly
02-20-2015, 01:34 PM
this is a situation where I would argue that stats don't tell the entire story.

Alright, then it's an opinion. Stats are fact, and using stats, Teague is a better defender than Wall.

However, I do agree sometimes stats don't tell the whole story, but the margin is actually quite big between the two defensively that I think in this case it does.

Clyde
02-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Alright, then it's an opinion. Stats are fact, and using stats, Teague is a better defender than Wall.

However, I do agree sometimes stats don't tell the whole story, but the margin is actually quite big between the two defensively that I think in this case it does.

You're using part of the defensive stats provided by NBA tracking, not the entire thing.

You aren't taking into account the % at the rim, defensive rebounding, steals or blocks

Clyde
02-20-2015, 02:25 PM
Let's see.

I believe john wall plays more minutes than teague . 4.5ish, which over the span of 54 games is a lot more minutes. Subsequently, that a lot more possessions, and a lot more time on the defensive end.

Eric Cartman
05-02-2015, 12:10 AM
Now they face each other in the second round :cheers:

zizozain
05-02-2015, 05:51 AM
Jeff 0 points in closeout game Teague

GimmeThat
05-02-2015, 06:06 AM
I am really really bored.

But Exum versus Smart is still an unknown no matter how 'objective' you are.

Again, really really bored.

CeltsGarlic
05-02-2015, 06:56 AM
Great analysis, no bias whatsoever.

tontoz
05-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Wall was 3rd in the league in defensive RPM among pgs. Teague was 13th.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1

WallIn
05-02-2015, 11:51 AM
There is no question that Wall is a better basketball player regardless of how this series turns out.

JohnMax
05-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Wall is the better all around player, Teague is the better scorer.

If you don't believe me, compare their stats against Indiana in last years playoffs.

Vman23
05-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Wall is the better all around player, Teague is the better scorer.

If you don't believe me, compare their stats against Indiana in last years playoffs.

Wall plays more like Jason Kidd, his game is just not really built around scoring. I expect him to always be a 16-18ppg guy, but his playmaking and defense are very elite for his position.

ralph_i_el
05-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Two very different ball players. Wall is an all around force and a pass first player. League is a quick, skilled socrer operating in a well oiled machine of a team.

Eric Cartman
05-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Wall and it's not even close.

hawksdogsbraves
05-03-2015, 03:29 PM
There is not a single thing on the court that Teague is better than Wall at. Probably not off the court either.

Captvic
05-03-2015, 04:42 PM
There is not a single thing on the court that Teague is better than Wall at. Probably not off the court either.

This.

Teague can't even make layups consistently. Wall is overall better than Teague.

LiLharvard
05-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Wall and it's not even close.

This

and this... 104 -98 ... Washington Leads 1-0

veilside23
05-03-2015, 11:01 PM

on the bolded one... HMMMM:rolleyes:

LiLharvard
05-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Pierce makes up for Whitman's percieved incompetence. Player Coach PP

ClipperRevival
05-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Wall has elevated his game to near "the man" status. The guy can not only get his but he makes his teammates better. The guy is one of the most explosive players in the league. There really is no comparison between him and Teague. Teague is very solid but he isn't on Wall's level.

tontoz
05-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Wall averaging 12.6 assists in the playoffs. :rockon:

Next best is Paul at 7.9.