PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Hawks going for Gary Neal.

Richesly
02-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Another player to be awesome in the Mike Bud system.

Neal already has 3 years of experience under Mike Bud, so it's obvious why he wants him here.

Neal was traded by the Charlotte Hornets to the Timberwolves in exchange for Mo Williams and Troy Daniels earlier this month. Neal spent three seasons in San Antonio with Mike Budenholzer before signing with the Milwaukee Bucks in 2013. He was dealt to Charlotte last season.

Neal appeared in 43 games with the Hornets this season and is averaging 9.6 points on 36 percent shooting. He's connected on just 29 percent of his three-point attempts but is a career 38 percent shooter from beyond-the-arc. His familiarity with Budenholzer's system makes him an interesting target but its hard to see a lot of value here unless Atlanta thinks that Neal can bounce back from what has been a tough season shooting the basketball.

Atlanta is rumored to be shopping John Jenkins as well and Neal could be a potential replacement for Jenkins as an emergency guard option.

http://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/2/18/8065109/nba-trade-rumors-gary-neal-atlanta-hawks

Haymaker
02-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Good pickup. Hopefully the Hawks can lure in some good free agents in the coming seasons.

Richesly
02-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Good pickup. Hopefully the Hawks can lure in some good free agents in the coming seasons.

I am willing to bet Neal becomes a 40%+ shooter from the 3, rather than stay at 29%.

Look at what players like DeMarre Carroll and Bazemore have done since comin to ATL.

Bazemore is a career 33% from 3, with the hawks he is shooting 43%.

Carroll never even shot 3s before coming to ATL, now he is a 40% shooter.

Eric Cartman
02-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Great pickup if he goes to the Hawks, when he gets hot it's game over, but will not have an impact if he's on a shitty team.

hawkfan
02-19-2015, 11:06 AM
I'd rather have Bargnani and Tayshaun Prince (when he gets bought out).

3peated
02-19-2015, 11:12 AM
would u blow jeff teague if given the opportunity

Alamо
02-19-2015, 11:12 AM
would u blow jeff teague if given the opportunity

You wouldn't?

T_L_P
02-19-2015, 11:31 AM
I thought Gary got a bit of a bad rap towards the end (he was a well-liked teammate who Tim personally vouched for), but people only seem to remember what he did in games 2-4 of the Finals.

He's not a valuable asset. He doesn't change things, and he won't be playing on a team that has an all time great to show him how things are done. Not to mention he's an inefficient scorer and terrible defender.

I hope things go well for him though. Like I said, I have a soft spot for the guy.

CP343
02-19-2015, 11:41 AM
Neal would be a good reserve for the Hawks.

hawkfan
02-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Depending on the health of Shelvin Mack, we may need a third point guard.

We have one roster spot open, and Jenkins can be traded, so that would gives us two roster spots.

hawksdogsbraves
02-19-2015, 12:59 PM
I mean if we bring in Neal he basically won't ever play. Just provide some veteran playoff experience for the guards.

If somebody on the wing goes down he'd fill in nicely though I guess.

Haymaker
02-19-2015, 01:04 PM
I'd rather have Bargnani and Tayshaun Prince (when he gets bought out).

Thanks goodness you're not their GM.

Proctor
02-19-2015, 01:08 PM
I love Gary Neal as a scoring punch off the bench. I don't know how he isn't seen as a valuable asset by many. Dude falls under the "lethal weapon" category. Explosive scorer who can make a shot when the offense is at a standstill.

This would be a great pickup for ATL.

SsKSpurs21
02-19-2015, 03:41 PM
I thought Gary got a bit of a bad rap towards the end (he was a well-liked teammate who Tim personally vouched for), but people only seem to remember what he did in games 2-4 of the Finals.

He's not a valuable asset. He doesn't change things, and he won't be playing on a team that has an all time great to show him how things are done. Not to mention he's an inefficient scorer and terrible defender.

I hope things go well for him though. Like I said, I have a soft spot for the guy.

me too. I always liked neal. he gave us alot of great playoff memories. I am also a big fan of Coach Bud so I am rooting for the hawks aka Spurs East.

Hotlantadude81
02-19-2015, 04:55 PM
Gary Neal is a mediocre player.

-Undersized
-Does not defend
-Does not rebound
-Does not pass

He is a Pero Antic at the SG position... His best year was his first year with the Spurs and his shooting has basically been going down every since that first year.