View Full Version : Denver has traded Arron Afflalo to Portland

navy
02-19-2015, 12:27 PM
WOJ Bomb

Fudge
Fudge 12s12 seconds ago
Denver has traded Arron Afflalo to Portland, league source tells Yahoo

Blazers will send Will Barton, Victor Claver, a future lottery protected 1st and a second-round pick to Denver for Afflalo and Alonzo Gee.

I am the ISH Woj.

Heavincent
Shit...Portland is stacked.

navy
02-19-2015, 12:28 PM
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/052/e/2/you_re_too_slow_by_blaze_baitong-d5vptxf.png

ImKobe
no excuses.

Fudge
I posted mine like 15 seconds after it was posted on Twitter. How the hell did you beat me to it?

WTF. :biggums: **** you, man.

Cold soul
02-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Good pickup for Portland.

boozehound
02-19-2015, 12:30 PM
for what?

Nets fan 93
what was involved

boozehound
also, love afflalo. He was a great young piston. Shame we traded him for caproom to sign chris wilcox or some shit.

Fudge
02-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Deal is:

Portland gets: Arron Afflalo, Alonzo Gee
Denver gets: Thomas Robinson, Will Barton, Victor Claver, Future protected pick

Sources tell Fudge from Insidehoops
:pimp:

navy
02-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Blazers will send Will Barton, Victor Claver, a future lottery protected 1st and a second-round pick to Denver for Afflalo and Alonzo Gee.

Thomas Robinson goes to the Nuggets too, source tells Yahoo

hawkfan
02-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Hawks get

Wilson Chandler

Nuggets get

John Jenkins (former first round pick)
2nd round pick

boozehound
damn, thats a decent haul. 2 young prospects and a first and second?

gts
Good pick up for the Blazers.. Should fit in nicely

brownmamba00
Alonzo Gee heading out to Portland aswell

the west is too stacked

boozehound
02-19-2015, 12:33 PM
Hawks get

Wilson Chandler

Nuggets get

2nd round pick
wtf? that seems doubtful. Plus its hawkfan

hawkfan
02-19-2015, 12:34 PM
wtf? that seems doubtful. Plus its hawkfan

The Nuggets save 5 million in salary this year and however much against the luxury tax. So it makes financial sense for the Nuggets.

navy
02-19-2015, 12:34 PM
Hawks get

Wilson Chandler

Nuggets get

2nd round pick
Hawks are making no moves. Sources.

christian1923
02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Nobody ever wants to keep this guy. Something wrong with him

Bobcats2013
02-19-2015, 12:36 PM
I think I speak for all Warriors fans

http://33.media.tumblr.com/fd60283b88e8ced47b17e4579efc4e24/tumblr_mn2rlgs7w71rcy99do1_500.gif

navy
02-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Not really. he's a decent role player on bad teams. Thus, great trade bait.

hawkfan
02-19-2015, 12:42 PM

Why does he keep bouncing around?

Wavves
02-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Holy shit I love it. Absolutely stoked that we get Gee as well. He is a very solid role player.

bagelred
02-19-2015, 12:45 PM
WOJ Bomb

Bagelred cans confirms. Multiple twitter sauces. Afflalo to Portland. navy first to report.

christian1923
02-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Why does he keep bouncing around?
Maybe he's toxic in the locker room

boozehound
02-19-2015, 12:48 PM
The Nuggets save 5 million in salary this year and however much against the luxury tax. So it makes financial sense for the Nuggets.
again, salsa? I understand why they want to move him, just not sure why they would move him for a guy who cant play in the nba (probably) and a 2nd rounder. Surely Chandler can bring back at least a rotation player or protected first rounder.

NugzFan
02-19-2015, 12:49 PM

I hate trading afflalo but our team has to start over and I'm glad we could trade him to a contender. I wish Arron the best - good luck in Portland. True professional.

Velocirap31
02-19-2015, 12:51 PM
WOJ has the greatest connections. He seems to know everything NBA related first.

RoseCity07
02-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Even if Afflalo is bad we gave up nothing. We can resign Barton or Robinson as neither of them are going to get big contracts. Portland didn't lose anything.

Plus we get to hear Mike Rice talk about how much he loves sying Alonzo Gee's name.

CP343
02-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Dang, good trade for Portland.

CP343
02-19-2015, 01:10 PM

Thomas Robinson goes to the Nuggets too, source tells Yahoo

Ah, that isn't as great if the Blazers lose Thomas Robinson as well.

NugzFan
02-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Even if Afflalo is bad we gave up nothing. We can resign Barton or Robinson as neither of them are going to get big contracts. Portland didn't lose anything.

Plus we get to hear Mike Rice talk about how much he loves sying Alonzo Gee's name.

I wouldn't say nothing. Denver did get a first. That's all I wanted. I don't expect those guys to be here long term but if one sticks around it's a bonus.

Good deal

But the philly one though...ugh.

MUGEN
02-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Ah, that isn't as great if the Blazers lose Thomas Robinson as well.

We weren't going to resign him. He knew that too

and Clavar was leaving

basically we gave up very little

CP343
02-19-2015, 01:21 PM
We weren't going to resign him. He knew that too

and Clavar was leaving

basically we gave up very little

True. Just saying the original reported trade was better, especially if you could have kept Robinson simply to make another trade.

ArbitraryWater
02-19-2015, 01:35 PM
This is getting ridiculous...

The Grizzlies got Jeff Green, now the Blazers got Arron Afflalo, to their already loaded teams.

The stacked get stackeder

RoseCity07
02-19-2015, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't say nothing. Denver did get a first. That's all I wanted. I don't expect those guys to be here long term but if one sticks around it's a bonus.

Good deal

But the philly one though...ugh.

For Portland fans that is nothing. A first that will be late first round in 2016 because Portland is a playoff team every year with Lillard/Aldridge. Paul Allen is one of the few owners that will buy a pick if he really wants a player.

NugzFan
02-19-2015, 01:39 PM
For Portland fans that is nothing. A first that will be late first round in 2016 because Portland is a playoff team every year with Lillard/Aldridge. Paul Allen is one of the few owners that will buy a pick if he really wants a player.

And Denver gave up 3 months of a guy who was leaving. So also nothing.

So both teams gave up nothing?

Did a trade even really happen?

CP343
02-19-2015, 01:45 PM
And Denver gave up 3 months of a guy who was leaving. So also nothing.

So both teams gave up nothing?

Did a trade even really happen?

lol

CP343
02-19-2015, 01:46 PM
This is getting ridiculous...

The Grizzlies got Jeff Green, now the Blazers got Arron Afflalo, to their already loaded teams.

The stacked get stackeder

Aren't you a LeBron fan? Your guy has constantly had stacked teams for 5 years now.

Smook A.
02-19-2015, 01:48 PM
****! Portland's team is dangerous

Fudge
02-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Aren't you a LeBron fan? Your guy has constantly had stacked teams for 5 years now.
:oldlol:

KNOW1EDGE
02-19-2015, 01:52 PM
I would have preferred Wilson Chandler.

But Afflalo is a good pick-up.
Hopefully he plays well for the rest of the season and resigns with us in the off-season.

Can't wait for the next Blazers game now!

I'll miss T-Rob doe

ArbitraryWater
02-19-2015, 01:53 PM

Irrelevant of what you may think of LeBron's help, I think its unfair to all Western teams, wouldn't you agree that this is a major advantage for the East (you couldn't figure that this helps LeBron?!), and it's one of the reasons why I'm not for this conference shit. Just one league, top 16.

Budadiiii
02-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Irrelevant of what you may think of LeBron's help, I think its unfair to all Western teams, wouldn't you agree that this is a major advantage for the East (you couldn't figure that this helps LeBron?!), and it's one of the reasons why I'm not for this conference shit. Just one league, top 16.
"Irrelevant of what you may think"

:facepalm

Go to school. Cooped up in your moms house all day with no education, on this site 24/7 with nothing to offer but poor grammar and idiotic opinions.

I browse this site for good information and you pollute every single thread with your idiocy. Log off and go outside for once. Give your mom a break.

Fudge
02-19-2015, 02:03 PM
:roll:

RoseCity07
02-19-2015, 02:07 PM
I don't get Blazer fans anymore and their obsession with scrubs. So many overrate our players. I trashed Hickson and Felton from the start. Same with Jamal Crawford. It wasn't until they were gone that most realized how terrible they are.

Now it's this thing about Thomas Robinson. A mediocre hustle guy that can't make a jump shot to save his life. Constantly getting beat to rebounds even when he has solid rebounding position. I fail to see this "beast" in the making. Plus he does this retarded spin move thing that leads to him being strip almost ever single time. Then there is the fact he can't make free throws. Teams do hacka T-Rob he's so bad.

There is a reason Blazers didn't pick up the option on his rookie deal. He's not worth it. He is never going to be a beast. He is never going to be Kenneth Faried. This is so obvious it is scary how some fans think he is good.

Wavves
02-19-2015, 02:13 PM
I don't get Blazer fans anymore and their obsession with scrubs. So many overrate our players. I trashed Hickson and Felton from the start. Same with Jamal Crawford. It wasn't until they were gone that most realized how terrible they are.

Now it's this thing about Thomas Robinson. A mediocre hustle guy that can't make a jump shot to save his life. Constantly getting beat to rebounds even when he has solid rebounding position. I fail to see this "beast" in the making. Plus he does this retarded spin move thing that leads to him being strip almost ever single time. Then there is the fact he can't make free throws. Teams do hacka T-Rob he's so bad.

There is a reason Blazers didn't pick up the option on his rookie deal. He's not worth it. He is never going to be a beast. He is never going to be Kenneth Faried. This is so obvious it is scary how some fans think he is good.

I loved T-Rob more than most and I see a lot of potential with him but including him in this deal is nothing. Both players we got are better than him and I am glad that the deal was done.

I think a lot of Blazer fans just really respected how hard he worked while he was with us. I know I do.

Hey Yo
02-19-2015, 03:08 PM
Alonzo Gee moved "again" :lol

This is his 5th team in 6 seasons, yet people said James should have stayed in Cleveland cause Gee was a great, up-and-coming player. Just had to patient with Gee.:oldlol:

Hey Yo
02-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Insider Grades:

Denver Nuggets: B

When the Nuggets reacquired Afflalo on the morning of last June's draft, they anticipated him being part of a team that could compete for a playoff spot in the Western Conference. For a variety of reasons too complicated to delve into here, that vision has failed to materialize and Denver is now in semi-rebuilding mode. (We'll know how seriously the Nuggets are rebuilding by the end of the day.)

Given Afflalo can opt out of his contract this summer, Denver needed to move him now to ensure getting value in return, and did well to hold out for a first-round pick -- the same kind of value the Nuggets gave up for Afflalo (in the form of wing Evan Fournier) eight months ago. Denver, which made two first-round picks last year, already has one coming from Memphis (most likely in 2017) and now fills in a gap with a second first-round pick for 2016. Although the Nuggets gave up a first-round pick to move JaVale McGee's contract, they've got plenty coming.

In the meantime, Denver can take a look at impending free agents Barton and Robinson to see if they could provide any value. There have been stretches where it appeared Barton might be Portland's long-term answer as a wing reserve, but he could never score efficiently enough to justify regular minutes (his true shooting percentage is .448 for his career, and a miserable .422 this season).

And Robinson is stuck between positions. He doesn't protect the basket well enough to play center full time, while failing to space the floor as a power forward. Still, Barton and Robinson helped the Blazers at times with their energy, particularly at home, and are ideal fits for the Nuggets' up-tempo system at altitude. If they can't contribute in Denver, it's probably never going to happen.

Hey Yo
02-19-2015, 03:18 PM
Portland Trail Blazers: B

In the midst of an arms race in the West, until this morning the Blazers were the only team between 2-6 in the conference whose roster was unchanged from the start of the season. Upgrades elsewhere forced Portland to make a move to keep up, and a wing reserve was the obvious target. The Blazers hoped C.J. McCollum would step into that role, but he's been too inconsistent offensively to lock it down.

Barton, Allen Crabbe and Dorell Wright all got turns, never providing Terry Stotts with a satisfying solution. Portland's wing problem was exacerbated by Nicolas Batum slumping as he plays through a sprained wrist. Because the other alternatives were so weak, the Blazers never had the luxury of giving Batum an extended break to rest. The addition of Afflalo makes that a possibility.

More likely, Portland will be able to cut Batum's minutes slightly, which might be necessary to find enough time for Afflalo. (He'll also play some of the minutes Steve Blake had been playing alongside Damian Lillard in a small backcourt.) Because he's primarily a shooting guard rather than a player who splits time at the wing spots, Afflalo isn't an ideal fit. But he and starting shooting guard Wesley Matthews are both physical enough to defend most small forwards, and I'd expect the Blazers to play them together for extended stretches when Batum is on the bench.

That's an interesting pairing because Matthews and Afflalo are probably each other's best comp in the league. They both love posting up (per Synergy Sports, they rank fourth and fifth in points scored off post-ups among guards this season) and are dangerous 3-point threats (Matthews 39.5 percent career, Afflalo 38.4 percent career, though just 33.7 percent his season).

The biggest statistical difference between Afflalo and Matthews is that Afflalo has tended to shoot more long 2s, and it will be interesting to see if that changes in Portland. That could boost Afflalo's true shooting percentage, which has been up and down over the course of his career. Beyond that, Afflalo has acquired a 3-and-D reputation without ever rating well defensively by most advanced stats. He ranks 53rd on defense among shooting guards in ESPN's real plus-minus this season (Matthews is 13th, and surprisingly McCollum ranks 12th). Despite his poor RPM, Afflalo is unquestionably an upgrade at a point where even a small one could be the difference between having home-court advantage in the first round or not.

If Afflalo's presence ultimately swings a playoff series, it's worth giving up a future first-round pick. That's the gamble the Blazers are taking, because they could lose Afflalo to free agency this summer. If Matthews, LaMarcus Aldridge and Robin Lopez re-sign, Portland will be butting up against the luxury tax, which could make paying Afflalo unjustifiable. For that matter, Afflalo might simply want to go somewhere else he could start. On the plus side, having Afflalo's Bird rights does give the Blazers some flexibility should Matthews leave via free agency.

I'd be curious to know which side insisted on a 2016 first-round pick (lottery protected in both 2016 and 2017, at which point it converts to second-round picks). The lottery protection limits Portland's downside risk, but their 2016 pick will probably be better than this year's, and trading a future pick means the Blazers won't be able to trade their 2017 first-rounder until after the 2016 draft. So their options will be somewhat limited in terms of trading picks going forward.

poido123
02-19-2015, 04:55 PM
I am the ISH Woj.

F.ck

Bulls could of got that deal for table scraps. :facepalm

Alonzo gee and afflalo would of been nice. Good job portland

bigt
02-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Wow Portland made a great deal here. Afflalo is legit, going to make them far tougher come playoffs

RoseCity07
02-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Now all we need is for Lillard to snap out of his shooting funk. Batum's 3 point shooting needs to come back to what is was before he wrist got hurt. Then we're good. Batum playing up to the level he played at 3 years ago would make this team a serious title contender.

BlazerRed
02-19-2015, 07:52 PM
WOOOOT :bowdown:

Always loved Afflalo's game.

KNOW1EDGE
02-19-2015, 08:26 PM
I just hope Afflalo agrees to resign with Portland after this season.
He will be an unrestricted free-agent and I'm nervous if he will want to resign as a bench player.

He'll prob be playing 25-30 mpg tho, and I'm guessing he will enjoy winning and participating in the playoffs.

I love his game and I can't wait to see him in a Blazer uni tomorrow against the Jazz

Myth
02-19-2015, 08:37 PM

I'm with you on this one. I didn't dislike T-Rob, but he got nearly $6M a year or something and he is far from worth that. Trading him was the easiest part to swallow. Claver was worthless, and pretty much non-existent. Barton was fun, but not special like many acted like. The worst part was giving up a 1st, but Afflalo is easily worth a lottery protected 1st. Overall a good trade. It will only slightly sting if Afflalo is a bad fit or opts out and leaves immediately.

Sportal
02-20-2015, 12:12 AM
Wow, nice. Got a guy that can catch fire and score big points for nothing. Now we wait for Lillards slump to end.

GimmeThat
02-21-2015, 02:16 AM
they should go see if there's another Alvin Gentry out there as an assistant coach.

they become a good enough 3 point shooting team at the guard position from a spreading the opposing team defense perspective

Kawhi Leonard/Tim Duncan gets mitigated with that front court.

supernova5912
02-21-2015, 08:02 PM

Afflalo isn't a bad player, despite not being elite overall. He's a good shooter, a solid 6th man, and can be spectacular, off the bench, for the Blazers.

http://i.imgur.com/7O7080x.gif

TexasBloodMoney
02-21-2015, 08:11 PM
Glad they picked up Afflalo instead of Chandler. Now Batum just needs to get the hell out of his slump.

GimmeThat
02-22-2015, 02:23 AM
Glad they picked up Afflalo instead of Chandler. Now Batum just needs to get the hell out of his slump.

had they did, what type of Center is out there for Chandler + Lopez, you think?

KNOW1EDGE
02-22-2015, 06:53 PM
had they did, what type of Center is out there for Chandler + Lopez, you think?

That's an interesting thought...

Idk, maybe Brooke Lopez. The irony.lol

But honestly I think the Blazers want to keep Rolo, he is great in our system, exactly what we need.

I would have loved to see the Blazers snag Enes Kanter, he is a beast. DeAndre Jordan would fit in great in Portland too.

Not too many great centers out there that are available

RoseCity07
02-22-2015, 07:07 PM
The more I think about this trade I see it's a great move but probably not enough to make Portland super elite. We need better interior defense. Aldridge can't play as aggressive with that thumb. When Lopez leaves Kaman is an absolute joke. Freeland is okay but not strong enough to guard most skilled bigs.

I hope to see a bench unit of McCollum, Afflalo, Wright, Freehand, and Leonard.

That line up would be my bench line up. Maybe put Blake in for McCollum.