PDA

View Full Version : there comes a point where you are getting too many draft picks...

JerrySeinfeld
02-19-2015, 07:06 PM
No they didn't, they traded Elfrid Payton because they knew Orlando wanted him and they got a pick back for him.

Saw this quote in another thread, responding to someone who said that the 76ers traded Payton away to show their loyalty for MCW.

There comes a point where you are getting to many draft picks and instead really need to be finding guys each year that you can start competing with asap.

the celtics, 76ers, whoever, loading up on draft picks is cool but give me a team like the bucks/pacers over that shit all day, drafting stephenson/george/hibbert, or knight/giannis/parker/henson, etc.

shi... I prefer drafting guys to help the team get the W, not more draft picks

buddha
02-19-2015, 07:08 PM
I agree. it's sickening to see all the bad teams give away their good players to good teams for such little value.

BlackWhiteGreen
02-19-2015, 07:15 PM
Don't lump the Celts in with the Sixers - they used a pick today to pick up IT2 and it's not their fault Billy King was making 1sts rain in 2013. That deal was akin to getting 3 1sts and a pick swap for Dirk and Chandler, or Kobe and Gasol - once in a lifetime type deal. They're in year 2 of the rebuild, might yet make the playoffs this year and have tons of cap room and picks for the next few years.

And today's feal is exactly why picks are worth having - huge upgrade at backup or even starting guard for essentially the price of paying Marcus Thorrton for half a season.

chocolatethunder
02-19-2015, 07:18 PM
Saw this quote in another thread, responding to someone who said that the 76ers traded Payton away to show their loyalty for MCW.

There comes a point where you are getting to many draft picks and instead really need to be finding guys each year that you can start competing with asap.

the celtics, 76ers, whoever, loading up on draft picks is cool but give me a team like the bucks/pacers over that shit all day, drafting stephenson/george/hibbert, or knight/giannis/parker/henson, etc.

They've been shitty for two years correcting the mistakes from the previous two front offices. This is the last year. What exactly is Stephenson doing for anyone? Or Hibbert for that matter.

gts
02-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Saw on twitter the 76ers now have something like 22 draft picks for the next three years? :lol

edit.. looks like the guy had a typo.. I see they have 13 not counting what they may have accumulated in the last 3 weeks

el gringos
02-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Yeah, you only have so many spots to be able to develop players. Otherwise you're just building losers. Unless they start targeting guys and trading 2,3 draft picks for 1 specific pick or guy.

Crazy thing is that if they get the #1 pick this year there would prob be a great chance they trade it.

I'm guessing they come out of this draft with Porzingis and Mario, have neither of them come next year, trade wroten and be the favorite for worst record again next year.

UK2K
02-19-2015, 07:22 PM

Houston
2009-10
42-40
14th pick

2010-11
43-39
14th pick

2011-12
34-32
14th pick

2012-13
45-37

2013-14
54-28

2014-15
36-17

:applause:

#TeamNoTank

coin24
02-19-2015, 10:53 PM
The 76ers are an embarrassment, all this tanking is just leading to further losing.. Too many draft picks and no leadership.
Hope they land flat on there faces

LeJohn Janes
02-19-2015, 10:56 PM
Hinkie thinks he is playing 2K. Trying to trade his way up to the top 2-3 draft picks and then send them to 'potential camp' in the offseason.

It's ridiculous.

beastee
02-19-2015, 10:56 PM
I agree that too many draft picks is not setting up success...but this may be the only time it ever pays off. With the looming cap increase, mid range players are going to be so overpaid it is going to be disgusting. Teams are going to have some really bad contracts and because of it picks are at a premium right now. With a very deep draft this year, you could build a great team foundation with 3-4 picks. Also, the Sixers have a few nice young pieces already. The celtics also can load up. I think it is bad for the NBA to do this, but the cap issue makes it an interesting plan.

SwishSquared
02-19-2015, 11:09 PM
The benefit is that they have a great war chest to acquire the next disgruntled star (I honestly wonder if Boogie has 2 full years left in SAC). The amount of second rounders they have is crazy, but people need to remember that BOS has more firsts coming their way than Philly lol.

I think it would have behooved them to absorb Perkins' deal today though in order to get that protection dropped to like top 15 from OKC. Would have nearly guaranteed 3 firsts in top 20 and there are some nice pieces in this draft.

Also, regarding the MCW trade, it's been said that he may not be their guy for quite some time. Lakers may drastically improve over the next season, but that pick should still be a at worst late lotto next year.