PDA

View Full Version : Could Westbrook play in the NFL? Pro Soccer?

JerrySeinfeld
02-19-2015, 10:23 PM
I could see him as a free safety in the NFL, he'd probably get drafted if he declared.

I could also see him playing defense in a pro soccer league if he started practicing it.

Best athlete in all of sports right now?

navy
02-19-2015, 10:25 PM
You're looking at combine numbers and not football skills. Would be a terrible GM.

That doesnt mean Westbrook would suck, we just dont know.

StephHamann
02-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Never saw a Ninja Turtle play soccer, doubt it would work

LeJohn Janes
02-19-2015, 10:27 PM
Soccer?

We could never know without seeing him with a ball at his feet.

JerrySeinfeld
02-19-2015, 10:28 PM
You're looking at combine numbers and not football skills. Would be a terrible GM.

That doesnt mean Westbrook would suck, we just dont know.

looking at his makeup, and build.... long arms, elite athleticism,6'4, strong like a bulll, the tenacity.... shi he'd be a lockdown CB.

Budadiiii
02-19-2015, 10:29 PM
His measurables aren't off the chart. There are better raw athletes but I don't think there's anyone with his mixture of high motor and athleticism.

And he doesn't fatigue. For someone as explosive as him, and for someone who hustles as much as he does, I have never seen him visibly fatigued. His endurance is the most underlooked thing about his athleticism. He's simply a mental and physical freak. He could excel in MANY other sports. He wasn't born to play basketball but he willed himself to do it. He could easily have been a better football or rugby or soccer player. Anything he chose he could have been elite at.

JT123
02-19-2015, 10:30 PM
I could see him as a free safety in the NFL, he'd probably get drafted if he declared.

I could also see him playing defense in a pro soccer league if he started practicing it.

Best athlete in all of sports right now?
Did your russwest0 account really get perma banned? Watching you post from this account just isn't the same.

JerrySeinfeld
His measurables aren't off the chart. There are better raw athletes but I don't think there's anyone with his mixture of high motor and athleticism.

And he doesn't fatigue. For someone as explosive as him, and for someone who hustles as much as he does, I have never seen him visibly fatigued. His endurance is the most underlooked thing about his athleticism. He's simply a mental and physical freak. He could excel in MANY other sports. He wasn't born to play basketball but he willed himself to do it. He could easily have been a better football or rugby or soccer player. Anything he chose he could have been elite at.

isn't he actually left handed too?

that work ethic, to develop a right handed jumper...

christian1923
looking at his makeup, and build.... long arms, elite athleticism,6'4, strong like a bulll, the tenacity.... shi he'd be a lockdown CB.
Being a shutdown corner is mostly about footwork and good hips. Nothing you mentioned lol

blablabla
02-19-2015, 10:32 PM
Soccer? to even attempt playing pro soccer you need exceptional skill on the ball

navy
02-19-2015, 10:33 PM
Being a shutdown corner is mostly about footwork and good hips. Nothing you mentioned lol
Dont forget good timing and iq.

When you get to the nfl level you are looking at the elite. It's not enough to be a great athlete. He could play high school or college and i wouldnt question it. NFL? I need to see it

Joyner82reload
02-19-2015, 10:33 PM
He would get destroyed in soccer, get real. Football? He could play RB at the collegiate level for sure, idk about NFL. Then again NFL RB is the least skilled position in all of professional sports, it's primarily nothing but raw athleticism.

Genaro
02-19-2015, 10:34 PM
American football yes since that game is all about athleticism but English football is about skills, skills that you can only develop playing since you're a kid. We would have to see what level his foot ability is and he should practice since little.

navy
Soccer? to even attempt playing pro soccer you need exceptional skill on the ball
That statement was so ridiculous, I didnt even question it.

Nowitness
What the hell is a pro soccer player.

You simply mean a football player?

Budadiiii
isn't he actually left handed too?

that work ethic, to develop a right handed jumper...
I know. He amazes me every day. 4.0 GPA.

Just a mental and physical freak of nature. I admire him from a distance but I keep my girl from getting too attached.

DaSeba5
He would get destroyed in soccer, get real. Football? He could play RB at the collegiate level for sure, idk about NFL. Then again NFL RB is the least skilled position in all of professional sports, it's primarily nothing but raw athleticism.

This, unless he has some amazing soccer skills that nobody knows about.

navy
02-19-2015, 10:35 PM
That's not true. Otherwise players like Trent Richardson would be good.

JerrySeinfeld
What the hell is a pro soccer player.

You simply mean a football player?

im speaking american dumbass

qrich
He could make it in the NFL with a bit more HGH.

Soccer though, he'd have to work for a few years to get the foot-eye coordination

Joyner82reload
That's not true. Otherwise players like Trent Richardson would be good.

Trent Richardson is in the NFL....:facepalm

Also Richardson problem seems to be that he's a pu$$y that refuses to run as hard as possible. I don't think that would be an issue with Westbrook's style of reckless abandon. However Westbrook would need to weight train for about a year to get in condition for playing NFL RB, he's too lean as is. Also he would probably get injured every few games.

Budadiiii
02-19-2015, 10:36 PM
American football yes since that game is all about athleticism but English football is about skills, skills that you can only develop playing since you're a kid. We would have to see what level his foot ability is and he should practice since little.
If he dedicated himself to soccer like he did basketball... he'd be elite.

Go back and watch his high school footage. He had no "skill".... he has willed himself to being a skilled basketball player like he could do with any other sport. Stop underestimating him, he'll just prove you wrong.

JerrySeinfeld
02-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Wait, Westbrook at RB?

6'4, 200 pd RB holy **** the guy should try to do both, I'd take him in denver

navy
02-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Barely.

He's not good, which is my point.

LeJohn Janes
02-19-2015, 10:38 PM

Go back and watch his high school footage. He had no "skill".... he has willed himself to being a skilled basketball player like he could do with any other sport. Stop underestimating him, he'll just prove you wrong.
How is he going to prove him wrong about being a soccer player?

:biggums:

Budadiiii
02-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Barely.

He's not good, which is my point.
Westbrook is on a completely different level mentally. Guys like Westbrook don't fail. He would be elite at anything he set his mind to, period.

christian1923
02-19-2015, 10:40 PM

Also Richardson problem seems to be that he's a pu$$y that refuses to run as hard as possible. I don't think that would be an issue with Westbrook's style of reckless abandon. However Westbrook would need to weight train for about a year to get in condition for playing NFL RB, he's too lean as is. Also he would probably get injured every few games.
He won't be on the field if he can't block

DaSeba5
02-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Westbrook has a high motor and terrific athleticism. He would be a good football player IMO.

Budadiiii
02-19-2015, 10:42 PM
How is he going to prove him wrong about being a soccer player?

:biggums:
I'm just saying in general he will prove you wrong.

We'll never know how good of a soccer player he would be. That sport isn't the best example, because there does need to be a natural foot-eye coordination, or whatever.

You don't think he could be a valuable athlete on a soccer team though? As a defender at the least? Don't know much about the sport.

christian1923
02-19-2015, 10:42 PM
Westbrook is on a completely different level mentally. Guys like Westbrook don't fail. He would be elite at anything he set his mind to, period.
With years and years of training

Genaro
02-19-2015, 10:44 PM

First of all I'm not underestimating WB, he's one of my fav players ok?
I was purely talking about soccer. It's way harder to have skills using your feet than using your hands.

Ok, he wasn't very skillful in the HS and practiced hard but he was practicing BB since he was a kid, it's different. What I said is: If he was to become a soccer player he should've practiced since he was a kid.

Joyner82reload
02-19-2015, 10:44 PM
He won't be on the field if he can't block

Blocking out of the backfield is about knowing schemes and putting in effort. I'm assuming Westbrook should have no problem with either seeing as he's the PG of an NBA team(responsible for running plays) and the hardest worker in the NBA.

Injuries would be his biggest problem. Idk how his frame would hold an additional 30 pounds, which he would need for the NFL, and his balls to the wall style would probably get him hurt often at RB.

Budadiiii
02-19-2015, 10:47 PM
First of all I'm not underestimating WB, he's one of my fav players ok?
I was purely talking about soccer. It's way harder to have skills using your feet than using your hands.

Ok, he wasn't very skillful in the HS and practiced hard but he was practicing BB since he was a kid, it's different. What I said is: If he was to become a soccer player he should've practiced since he was a kid.
I said if he dedicated himself to soccer like he did basketball, he'd be elite. I meant if soccer was the sport he grew up loving and playing, then I think he'd be a pro, because he's an elite athlete with an elite mindset and work ethic.

christian1923
02-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Blocking out of the backfield is about knowing schemes and putting in effort. I'm assuming Westbrook should have no problem with either seeing as he's the PG of an NBA team(responsible for running plays) and the hardest worker in the NBA.

Injuries would be his biggest problem. Idk how his frame would hold an additional 30 pounds, which he would need for the NFL, and his balls to the wall style would probably get him hurt often at RB.
Dude he couldn't be a running back at this point in his life, He would get wrecked

LeJohn Janes
02-19-2015, 10:48 PM
I'm just saying in general he will prove you wrong.

We'll never know how good of a soccer player he would be. That sport isn't the best example, because there does need to be a natural foot-eye coordination, or whatever.

You don't think he could be a valuable athlete on a soccer team though? As a defender at the least? Don't know much about the sport.
As a defender, almost certainly not.

It's probably the position least reliant on sheer athleticism, and is more about positional play.

Maybe, for a terrible team if he trained for a long time he could get a game on the wing, just sprinting and crossing the ball but I doubt it. The whole game is nearly all about skill and game IQ.

Just look at Messi, arguably the greatest player ever. Not exactly a freak athlete.

Budadiiii
02-19-2015, 10:56 PM
As a defender, almost certainly not.

It's probably the position least reliant on sheer athleticism, and is more about positional play.

Maybe, for a terrible team if he trained for a long time he could get a game on the wing, just sprinting and crossing the ball but I doubt it. The whole game is nearly all about skill and game IQ.

Just look at Messi, arguably the greatest player ever. Not exactly a freak athlete.
Thanks. I'll do some more research and maybe watch some more soccer. I only watch during the World Cup. I do know it's a skill driven sport, which is why you need a natural gift and passion for it to be great

Is Cristiano Ronaldo the best mixture of skill/athleticism the sport has seen?

FKAri
02-19-2015, 11:01 PM

lmao.

Who was that Lebrontard who said Lebron could be elite at chess if he put his mind to it because that's how strong willed and intelligent he is :lol

LeJohn Janes
02-19-2015, 11:02 PM
I would say so, yes.

In fact, I can't think off the top of my head of another player that's ever been like him athletically.

There is an interesting documentary on youtube about him called Cristiano Ronaldo - Tested To The Limit, where the do loads of tests on his athleticism and deduce that he can jump higher than the average NBA player and all that kind of stuff.

Guy is incredible athletically, but it would mean absolutely nothing without his skill.

buddha
02-19-2015, 11:03 PM
westbrook could play WR or DB. don't know how he would be in soccer, foot coordination is different than hand.

christian1923
02-19-2015, 11:05 PM
westbrook could play WR or DB. don't know how he would be in soccer, foot coordination is different than hand.
WR and DB at the NFL level, Are mostly about foot coordination too

Andrei89
02-19-2015, 11:10 PM
"Soccer" , lol no.

However give somebody like Thiago Silva ( who is already athletic centre back) the body and athleticism of Westbrook and you have the GOAT defender in the making.

ThunderKat
02-19-2015, 11:22 PM
WR/DB I would imagine. He is tenacious and athletic enough to do it. He made the right choice, though.

NBA players get paid more without the contact of football, which almost certainly leads to more years playing. I think there are a lot of athletes that could have played another sport and he is one of them.

deja vu
02-20-2015, 02:06 AM
Well if he started training for soccer at a very young age, he might be good. Or he could be bad. Basketball is the perfect sport for him.

Soccer defending is a skill too and it's not enough to be tall and athletic. Timing and anticipation are more important, and of course, mental concentration.

KNOW1EDGE
02-20-2015, 02:10 AM
Football, yes.

Soccer, absolutely not.

oarabbus
02-20-2015, 03:58 AM
Football, yes.

Soccer, absolutely not.

This. Westbrook could be a beast at a couple positions: WR, DB, Safety... maybe QB.

You're straight ****ing retarded if you think he could be a pro soccer player

andremiller07
02-20-2015, 04:01 AM
In Soccer maybe as Goalie he would be fairly insane imo if he practiced.

swagga
02-20-2015, 04:19 AM
lol soccer :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
he won't amount to shit there, lacking composure in a 0-0 1 goal wins it all sport is a huge detriment.

oarabbus
02-20-2015, 04:22 AM
lol soccer :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
he won't amount to shit there, lacking composure in a 0-0 1 goal wins it all sport is a huge detriment.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/zidane-big.gif

But yeah, no chance in hell Westbrook can play pro soccer. You have to have a really embarrassingly poor understanding of the sport to feel that way. Could Westbrook come off the bench for a D1 team? That's a much better question.

swagga
02-20-2015, 04:25 AM
In Soccer maybe as Goalie he would be fairly insane imo if he practiced.

no. goalies don't have to super athletes.
critical goalie qualities:
positioning, great fundamentals -> lol
quick reflexes -> westbrook has it
amazing knowledge of the offensive player's choices, anticipation -> lol
discipline to NEVER gamble and play it safe -> lol
extreme composure -> lol
desire to watch alot of tape -> lol

not the best fit imo.

swagga
02-20-2015, 04:30 AM
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/zidane-big.gif

But yeah, no chance in hell Westbrook can play pro soccer. You have to have a really embarrassingly poor understanding of the sport to feel that way. Could Westbrook come off the bench for a D1 team? That's a much better question.

:rolleyes:
because zidane ALWAYS lacked composure when he basically dragged that france squad to the finals, or when he won the world cup in 98 or in his other 783485443 trophies. Everybody flips out sometimes (he had a bit of history), but his career is defined by an amazing clarity&quality of play and beautiful understanding of the game, a true team-first artist tbh. His impact goes wayyy beyond stats, only xavi came close as a deep playmaker. Ronaldo can't hold his jock tbh, just a me-first media boy.

Badazzwriter
02-20-2015, 04:33 AM
hes a great athlete why not? but "Soccer" takes a lot more skill than some people think, and endurance .

Badazzwriter
02-20-2015, 04:35 AM
. Ronaldo can't hold his jock tbh, just a me-first media boy.
What Ronaldo??

swagga
02-20-2015, 04:36 AM
What Ronaldo??

this one can't hold zidane's jock.
the other one was much better, but still inferior from an impact pov.

Badazzwriter
02-20-2015, 04:39 AM
Im guessing cristiano? Ronaldo from brazil was once one of the most unstoppable players ever, fast, strong, ridiculous dribbling skills, but until he developed hypothyroidism

oarabbus
02-20-2015, 04:39 AM
because zidane ALWAYS lacked composure when he basically dragged that france squad to the finals, or when he won the world cup in 98 or in his other 783485443 trophies. Everybody flips out sometimes (he had a bit of history), but his career is defined by an amazing clarity&quality of play and beautiful understanding of the game, a true team-first artist tbh. His impact goes wayyy beyond stats, only xavi came close as a deep playmaker. Ronaldo can't hold his jock tbh, just a me-first media boy.

He's one of the greatest, I'm just saying passionate/hot headed players who can lose composure exist in every sport.

Seriously though, Westbrook couldn't play in MLS if he devoted the rest of his life to it, much less an actual good Pro soccer league. He has basically as much chance as making it to the US Open or Wimbledon.

Could Westbrook start for a D1 soccer team (say UCLA or Stanford) if he trained? Much better question.

SugarHill
02-20-2015, 04:43 AM
He's one of the greatest, I'm just saying passionate/hot headed players who can lose composure exist in every sport.

Seriously though, Westbrook couldn't play in MLS if he devoted the rest of his life to it, much less an actual good Pro soccer league. He has basically as much chance as making it to the US Open or Wimbledon.

Could Westbrook start for a D1 soccer team (say UCLA or Stanford) if he trained? Much better question.
no :biggums:

oarabbus
02-20-2015, 04:47 AM
no :biggums:

I guess it was barely a better question :cheers:

Exactly, that illustrates how dumb it is that some posters think he could be a pro.

If Westbrook could be a pro soccer player, Roger Federer could be an MLB pitcher and Michael Phelps could be in the NBA :hammerhead:

deja vu
02-20-2015, 05:19 AM
Why would Westbrook want to die early though? American football is an extremely dangerous sport.

SugarHill
02-20-2015, 05:26 AM
I guess it was barely a better question :cheers:

Exactly, that illustrates how dumb it is that some posters think he could be a pro.

If Westbrook could be a pro soccer player, Roger Federer could be an MLB pitcher and Michael Phelps could be in the NBA :hammerhead:
Didn't Usain Bolt want to be a pro? He had tryouts with Man U, which is obviously for publicity and good fun but he loved the sport growing up and has passion for it and actually has some experience with it. Even he got laughed out.

buddha
02-20-2015, 06:05 AM
WR and DB at the NFL level, Are mostly about foot coordination too

what

are you really trying to compare running and cutting to playing soccer?

football is more about athleticism where as soccer is more skill. you don't have to have special foot coordination to play WR or DB you just need to be big, fast and flexible, all of which Westbrook is.

dannywpt
02-20-2015, 06:54 AM

Let's be real, the brazilian Ronaldo was one of the greatest players ever, maybe the greatest pure striker of all time.

But C. Ronaldo is absolutely shattering every record there ever was right now. He is averaging over a goal per game since he came to Spain in '09. Messi and C. Ronaldo are already right up there with the greatest to ever play the game, long before their careers are over.

The only thing Brazilian Ronaldo beats C. Ronaldo in is his national team/World Cup success.

Don't let nostalgia get the better of you

SpanishACB
02-20-2015, 07:31 AM

No.

He's extremly lacking in the skills department, regardless of how much he show boats.

He's an incredible athlete with great work ethic, and a great football player. He's very Kobesque. He scores alot, but takes twice the amount of shots any other big name takes.

But there's been and there are players with much more skill on and off the ball.

SpanishACB
02-20-2015, 07:36 AM
Didn't Usain Bolt want to be a pro? He had tryouts with Man U, which is obviously for publicity and good fun but he loved the sport growing up and has passion for it and actually has some experience with it. Even he got laughed out.

he's got a point though

some super elite sportsmen could have made a career in different sports.

Nadal and Schumacher could have easily played soccer for money per example, but then again, they grew up playing it.

dannywpt
02-20-2015, 11:54 AM
he's got a point though

Nadal and Schumacher could have easily played soccer for money per example, but then again, they grew up playing it.

Peak 30-yr old Schumacher used to play local 4th division team in Norway when he was on vacation. Pretty cool for a F1 driver but he could hardly go pro, even if he focused on soccer his entire life.

swagga
02-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Let's be real, the brazilian Ronaldo was one of the greatest players ever, maybe the greatest pure striker of all time.

But C. Ronaldo is absolutely shattering every record there ever was right now. He is averaging over a goal per game since he came to Spain in '09. Messi and C. Ronaldo are already right up there with the greatest to ever play the game, long before their careers are over.

The only thing Brazilian Ronaldo beats C. Ronaldo in is his national team/World Cup success.

Don't let nostalgia get the better of you

football records are some of the most deceiving things you'll see. Penaldo scores in tons against sub par competition. When it matters most (champions league big stages, world cups) he sucked alot and is a major crybaby. He doesn't create too much for his team and he chucks likes MAD inflating his stats alot. He plays for himself first and the team second and he is also a huge crybaby with the mental strength of a drunk teenage girl.He was helped alot by playing on stack teams all his life.

Old ronaldo has 2 world cups and another wc finals, plus champs league, and the rest of the silverware. Much more of a team player, much more intelligent and creative. If we'd have a fg% or ts% in football the difference would be staggering in brazil ronaldo's favor. His combination of top speed/explosiveness/skill probably makes him the most unguardable 1v1 player in history (seen peak maradona/messi/baggio/penaldo/ronaldinho etc live).... even peak ronaldinho wasn't as efficient 1v1.

No nostalgia.

swagga
02-20-2015, 01:10 PM
he's got a point though

though nowhere close to big of money.

swagga
02-20-2015, 01:12 PM
No.

He's extremly lacking in the skills department, regardless of how much he show boats.

He's an incredible athlete with great work ethic, and a great football player. He's very Kobesque. He scores alot, but takes twice the amount of shots any other big name takes.

But there's been and there are players with much more skill on and off the ball.

+1 for truth.
bold made me rolf, I always thinked the same thing about him :roll: chuker :lol

Richesly
02-20-2015, 01:16 PM

As someone who played both football and high school, I can tell you that football is way more tiring than basketball.

I was nowhere as good at football as I was basketball, though. And wasn't really interested in playing it. I really only did it to stay in shape because I can't get myself to workout alone or go to some local gym.

However, I had to work really hard to be good at basketball. I worked as hard as anyone on the team, and because of that I started. I was really an offensive liability though, I averaged about 5-7 ppg and all of them were backdoor cuts.

Where as Westbrook is a natural athlete and probably could be a good football player.

LeJohn Janes
02-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Old ronaldo has 2 world cups and another wc finals, plus champs league, and the rest of the silverware.
I love Real Ronaldo, but he never won the Champions League and apart from the 2 world cups, he didn't really win THAT much for a player of his calibre.

For what it is worth, I don't really like CRon at all, his on and off field tantrums are absolutely embarrassing at times. However, comparing him to a basketball equivalent of a 'chucker' is way over the top. Yes, he shoots a lot but that's because he has a proven record of being absolutely brilliant at doing so. It's also because he can create space for a shot with absolute ease. It's also not as if he is costing his team by being selfish, he is doing this while winning major trophies year in, year out.

For me, he will never be as good as Messi, partly for the reasons you outline and partly because he just doesn't have the same skill and never will have. However, it's silly to diminish his achievements and comparing his stats to basketball is just silly.

Mass Debator
02-20-2015, 01:56 PM
He'd be a blitzing linebacker or defensive end.

Jud
02-20-2015, 01:58 PM
He could definitely play in the NFL. Not sure about soccer

hawksdogsbraves
02-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Westbrook would be a beast of a TE. Probably the best in the league. His athleticism makes receiving TE's like Jimmy Graham or Julius Thomas look like absolute jokes.

I'm sure he could also be a monster of a DE or OLB in a 3-4 if he bulked up a little.

FKAri
02-20-2015, 02:39 PM
lol @ the Kobe to CRonaldo comparisons. Spot on :lol

christian1923
02-20-2015, 02:41 PM
Westbrook would be a beast of a TE. Probably the best in the league. His athleticism makes receiving TE's like Jimmy Graham or Julius Thomas look like absolute jokes.

I'm sure he could also be a monster of a DE or OLB in a 3-4 if he bulked up a little.
line backer :roll: Defensive end :roll:

hawksdogsbraves
02-20-2015, 02:49 PM
line backer :roll: Defensive end :roll:

Yeah he'd probably have to put on 50 pounds to do that, better stick to TE

christian1923
02-20-2015, 02:53 PM
He'd need to gain 50 pounds to play TE. QB or WR make the most sense for his body type.

oarabbus
02-20-2015, 03:08 PM
He'd need to gain 50 pounds to play TE. QB or WR make the most sense for his body type.

He could also be a safety, like a smaller Chancellor.

Joyner82reload
02-20-2015, 04:14 PM

LMFAO @ DE OR OLB. He has a better chance at pro soccer than he does at becoming an OLB

ThickassGlasses
02-20-2015, 04:18 PM

He'd be a baby TE too.... :biggums: