PDA

View Full Version : Hinkie press conference now on 94.1

chocolatethunder
02-20-2015, 11:07 AM
If youre in Philly Hinkie is giving a press conference now 94.1

chocolatethunder
02-20-2015, 11:27 AM
For any philly fans he will be on 97.5 at 2:30 with Missanelli.

imdaman99
02-20-2015, 11:31 AM
What's he saying about stockpiling so many picks even by trading away young talent?

As a Knicks fan I used to be jealous of how young and talented their players are especially with picks coming but now they keep shuffling players in and out. Does he realize 2 years after they draft someone or not even a year later, that he made the wrong pick? This is getting out of hand.

Dr.J4ever
02-20-2015, 11:41 AM
If youre in Philly Hinkie is giving a press conference now 94.1

I'm listening to wip now, and I just missed it.

Man, I don't know how to feel right now. I have to admit I'm a bit depressed having to reset to zero again at the PG position. Our contention status has been pushed back again.

AI09
02-20-2015, 11:50 AM
What's he saying about stockpiling so many picks even by trading away young talent?

As a Knicks fan I used to be jealous of how young and talented their players are especially with picks coming but now they keep shuffling players in and out. Does he realize 2 years after they draft someone or not even a year later, that he made the wrong pick? This is getting out of hand.

I don't think MCW was ever part of his plan we drafted him minutes after trading Jru holiday and had a huge hole at PG so although Hinkie did draft him I'm not sure he was Hinkies guy. He tried trading him multiple times dating back to last year's trade deadline. The team was basically the same with or without him on the floor. KJ McDaniels made it clear when he signed the 1 year deal he had no intentions of playing in philly. That LA pick (this year or next) is more valuable than MCW. Had MCW been drafted anywhere else last year he wouldn't of been ROY and wouldn't be worth any where near that lakers pick, Hinkie knows this and that's why he traded him while his value was high.

AI09
02-20-2015, 11:55 AM

Man, I don't know how to feel right now. I have to admit I'm a bit depressed having to reset to zero again at the PG position. Our contention status has been pushed back again.

I'm not to concerned about our contention status if any thing this trade could potentially speed up the process we wernt going to contend with MCW trust me.

Dr.J4ever
02-20-2015, 11:59 AM
I don't think MCW was ever part of his plan we drafted him minutes after trading Jru holiday and had a huge hole at PG so although Hinkie did draft him I'm not sure he was Hinkies guy. He tried trading him multiple times dating back to last year's trade deadline. The team was basically the same with or without him on the floor. KJ McDaniels made it clear when he signed the 1 year deal he had no intentions of playing in philly. That LA pick (this year or next) is more valuable than MCW. Had MCW been drafted anywhere else last year he wouldn't of been ROY and wouldn't be worth any where near that lakers pick, Hinkie knows this and that's why he traded him while his value was high.

I'm not sure Hinkie knew from the start that MCW wasn't part of his plan. When MCW couldn't shoot or score efficiently, that sealed his fate, as far as Hinkie was concerned.

I get why he might be doing all these moves, but I am concerned that he made a swing and miss on MCW. So Hinkie's analytics and scouting can be wrong and requiring of course correction. That is the conclusion we get from this reset.

The Mcdaniel move was more understandable, but FYI KJ did say the other day that he likes Philly, and could have stayed with a modest contract, I think.

magic chiongson
02-20-2015, 12:20 PM

:D

AI09
02-20-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm not sure Hinkie knew from the start that MCW wasn't part of his plan. When MCW couldn't shoot or score efficiently, that sealed his fate, as far as Hinkie was concerned.

I get why he might be doing all these moves, but I am concerned that he made a swing and miss on MCW. So Hinkie's analytics and scouting can be wrong and requiring of course correction. That is the conclusion we get from this reset.

The Mcdaniel move was more understandable, but FYI KJ did say the other day that he likes Philly, and could have stayed with a modest contract, I think.

With all these picks I doubt Hinkie can mess up in the draft he will always have the assets to get his guy. Hinkie is the type of GM to make a trade that will help him execute a even bigger trade. For example he traded Jru for the 6th pick (Noel) and the 10th pick last draft. He used the 10th pick to move down 2 spots and to get back our first rounder from Orlando that the previous GM traded. Hinkie came into a bad situation fixed all he can fix from before his tenure there and to the typical fan his strategy seems crazy but philly is going to be benefiting from the work he's down there for years to come and perhaps years after he moves on with all these picks and cap space.

chocolatethunder
02-20-2015, 12:28 PM

I think that you're overreacting and missing the point. If you listened to the press conference you would be able to get a better idea of what he's saying. I'll try and sum it up for you.

I'm not sure what "young talent" you're referring to but if it's Holilday and MCW I think I can explain that.

They didn't draft Holiday and he wasn't the type of player they were after. They like tall, long athletic players. Holiday isn't that. Holiday hasn't done much since being moved and they turned Holiday who was the 17th pick in the draft into Noel and Saric. That is an upgrade for certain.

If you're talking about McDaniels then this is def an overreaction. The only reason people on this board even know who he is is because of that alley he threw to himself. Yes he can block shots and is athletic but he is pathetic offensively. He is an awful ball handler and shooter. The guy shot 40% from three for a month and is now shooting 28% for the year I believe. They turned a guy who was picked (these are estimates don't feel like looking it up) 32nd in the draft into a guy who was picked 35th in the draft and for another pick somewhere around 36. He was on a one year deal and wasn't going to resign because Grant is just as good and they have him for three more years. It makes perfect sense to me. Why pay Mcdaniels 7million a year when you have Grant who is younger doing the same thing for $800,000?

As far as MCW is concerned, Hinkie said that people have been calling them about him since his first game as a rookie. He was the 10th or 11th pick (sorry I cannot remember) and they flipped him for a potential high lottery pick ( the lakers suck too bad this year so the pick will be conveyed next year when the lakers will still suck). His though process is this. He's not looking to make a good team, he's looking to make a great team and has to make very tough decisions. It's not about him making the "wrong pick", it's about can trading this player get them in a position to get an even better player. He talked about having to have the stomach for moves like this. It is obvious that he is intent on getting Mudiay or Russell. He said that picks like the one they got for MCW are very rarely traded (potentially high lottery picks) and they think that this was worth the risk. He said that he and Brett Brown aren't afraid of the unknown and are willing to take risks to make this a team that once it's good, can be good for a very long time. It find it interesting that MCW has been totally slagged on this board and then now that he's traded people are acting like he's some amazing player. He shoots too much and is an awful shooter. If you don't think that Mudiay and Russell are going to be better players then we can just disagree on that.

He also said that their progression won't be linear. What he means is that its not a case of winning 20 games one year and 30 the next and so on. He said that they are in a position so that if they want to make a big jump quickly then they will be able to do so. I would expect them to be very active in this years draft and the next and after that year to be much better.

Another thing that he said was that he doesn't think of building a team as "oh I have a PG now now I can go get a center." He thinks that if he can improve any position then he's going to do it.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
02-20-2015, 12:54 PM
I think that you're overreacting and missing the point. If you listened to the press conference you would be able to get a better idea of what he's saying. I'll try and sum it up for you.

I'm not sure what "young talent" you're referring to but if it's Holilday and MCW I think I can explain that.

They didn't draft Holiday and he wasn't the type of player they were after. They like tall, long athletic players. Holiday isn't that. Holiday hasn't done much since being moved and they turned Holiday who was the 17th pick in the draft into Noel and Saric. That is an upgrade for certain.

If you're talking about McDaniels then this is def an overreaction. The only reason people on this board even know who he is is because of that alley he threw to himself. Yes he can block shots and is athletic but he is pathetic offensively. He is an awful ball handler and shooter. The guy shot 40% from three for a month and is now shooting 28% for the year I believe. They turned a guy who was picked (these are estimates don't feel like looking it up) 32nd in the draft into a guy who was picked 35th in the draft and for another pick somewhere around 36. He was on a one year deal and wasn't going to resign because Grant is just as good and they have him for three more years. It makes perfect sense to me. Why pay Mcdaniels 7million a year when you have Grant who is younger doing the same thing for $800,000?

As far as MCW is concerned, Hinkie said that people have been calling them about him since his first game as a rookie. He was the 10th or 11th pick (sorry I cannot remember) and they flipped him for a potential high lottery pick ( the lakers suck too bad this year so the pick will be conveyed next year when the lakers will still suck). His though process is this. He's not looking to make a good team, he's looking to make a great team and has to make very tough decisions. It's not about him making the "wrong pick", it's about can trading this player get them in a position to get an even better player. He talked about having to have the stomach for moves like this. It is obvious that he is intent on getting Mudiay or Russell. He said that picks like the one they got for MCW are very rarely traded (potentially high lottery picks) and they think that this was worth the risk. He said that he and Brett Brown aren't afraid of the unknown and are willing to take risks to make this a team that once it's good, can be good for a very long time. It find it interesting that MCW has been totally slagged on this board and then now that he's traded people are acting like he's some amazing player. He shoots too much and is an awful shooter. If you don't think that Mudiay and Russell are going to be better players then we can just disagree on that.

He also said that their progression won't be linear. What he means is that its not a case of winning 20 games one year and 30 the next and so on. He said that they are in a position so that if they want to make a big jump quickly then they will be able to do so. I would expect them to be very active in this years draft and the next and after that year to be much better.

Another thing that he said was that he doesn't think of building a team as "oh I have a PG now now I can go get a center." He thinks that if he can improve any position then he's going to do it.

what a load of crap. its good that philly fans support this blatant tanking. Sam Hinkie wants his rookie/sophomore to avg 50/50/90%?

its a progression he has to be avg to good to great. he is delusional if he thinks all his young players will just turn on the switch and start winning.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
02-20-2015, 12:56 PM
i dont think Hinkie will have a job by the time his draft picks start producing.

in 2 yrs of blatant tanking he has only 1 guy in noel now who has played any kind of significant mins.

christian1923
02-20-2015, 12:57 PM
what a load of crap. its good that philly fans support this blatant tanking. Sam Hinkie wants his rookie/sophomore to avg 50/50/90%?

its a progression he has to be avg to good to great. he is delusional if he thinks all his young players will just turn on the switch and start winning.
Philly fans are all delusional right now. They're not thinking clearly

midatlantic09
02-20-2015, 02:01 PM
i dont think Hinkie will have a job by the time his draft picks start producing.

in 2 yrs of blatant tanking he has only 1 guy in noel now who has played any kind of significant mins.

I disagree. He just bought a $3 million house in the Philly suburbs late last year (he's not originally from Philly) which tells me that he's on a long term deal and/or isn't worried about getting fired anytime soon...

I have a feeling the owner has a lot of confidence in Hinkie and plans on keeping him around for a very long time.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
02-20-2015, 02:15 PM
I disagree. He just bought a $3 million house in the Philly suburbs late last year (he's not originally from Philly) which tells me that he's on a long term deal and/or isn't worried about getting fired anytime soon...

I have a feeling the owner has a lot of confidence in Hinkie and plans on keeping him around for a very long time.

its Philadelphia, honestly who the F cares if they win or lose right? Mutha Fcukas will make their money from profit sharing and by fielding pathetic team?

just because he got a house there doesnt mean he will be there for next 10yrs

so next yr this time he is going to trading Noel? cause he is not a superstar material for another lottery pick?

he is not a talent evaluator with eye. he needs his all freaking analytic's data to tell if a guy will be good or bad.

midatlantic09
02-20-2015, 02:28 PM
its Philadelphia, honestly who the F cares if they win or lose right? Mutha Fcukas will make their money from profit sharing and by fielding pathetic team?

just because he got a house there doesnt mean he will be there for next 10yrs

It indicates that he's more certain than not that his job is very secure. If he didn't believe that, and had a feeling he'd only be around for a few years, I doubt he'd buy a home in Philly (he'd likely just rent a condo somewhere instead like many players do).

T_L_P
02-20-2015, 02:44 PM
MCW is a bag of shit, tbh.

I don't care how many triple doubles you have, a player who is shooting a 38/26/64 (:facepalm) cannot have a positive effect on the game.

Still don't really get what the 6ers are doing though. :lol

LeJohn Janes
02-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Still don't really get what the 6ers are doing though. :lol
This is basically the crux of the matter.

I had assumed the plan was to develop MCW, Embiid, and Noel for the next 2-3 years while adding another high draft pick this summer and in 3-4 years be in a position to really compete.

Now what? Just keep drafting? Forever?

He obviously wants Mudiay/Russell in the draft, he better hope he gets him or he's a contender for the unemployment line if they are no further on in 2 years time.

Perhaps they'll draft Okafor and trade him for a pick. :lol