PDA

View Full Version : Did I have a chance to get in the NBA?

Richesly
02-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Here is my story http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350310.

I didn't get go in depth as I would loved to, but as the title states.

I mentioned a D3 school offering me an athletic scholarship, and it was Birmingham-Southern College. Anyone who knows anything about college sports knows that getting an athletic scholarship from a D3 school is close to impossible. The reason why I didn't accept it was because of two things....

I had kind of lost interest in playing basketball in my senior year since I hadn't gotten any better after my most improved junior year. I had gotten more athletic and that was it.

Another thing was my anxiety. I have performance anxiety and it was first noted by my coach in ninth or tenth grade, can't remember that well. And whenever I had the ball in my hands during game I would panic a lot, especially while taking a jumpshot. Thus, the only times I scored were in backdoor cuts. I went to go see a psychologist who gave me some tests and confirmed that I did have general anxiety disorder and gave me a prescription of Welbutrin which did nothing so I stopped taking it.

I was the hardest working kid on my team, and probably all of Georgia. I attended another school's workout for about two weeks due to being suspended and waiting a disciplinary hearing for being caught with marijuana. I quickly became the coach's favorite there due to me working harder than anyone there. He even wanted me to stay, and I probably would've transferred there if I was suspended for the rest of the year at my school.

My average for my junior year was 7 points and 11 boards in about 22 minutes average.(We played 8 minute quarters), and my averages were about the same my senior year.

Should I have went to college and try to grow out of my anxiety or did I make the right choice going to work at at salvage factory for $14 an hour right out of high school?

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my senior year I was 6'1 at the end of my senior year and stopped growing since.

Rob123
02-21-2015, 06:30 PM
I think you made the right choice.

Budadiiii
02-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Still not activated on RealGM?

Richesly
02-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Still not activated on RealGM?

I got activated, but that thread was a joke. Did you see the white text?

Done_And_Done
02-21-2015, 06:35 PM
You don't wanna live in regret so whatever happened, happened for a reason. Anxiety disorders are no joke and affect millions across the globe so I can sympathize with you for that.

Did you ever end up attending college?

Btw - Making the NBA would have a been a pipe dream but that free education could have set your future up.

Are you still employed at the factory?

Budadiiii
02-21-2015, 06:37 PM
I got activated, but that thread was a joke. Did you see the white text?
I guess not. :cheers:

Richesly
02-21-2015, 06:39 PM
You don't wanna live in regret so whatever happened, happened for a reason. Anxiety disorders are no joke and affect millions across the globe so I can sympathize with you for that.

Btw - Making the NBA would have a been a pipe dream but that free education could have set your future up.

Yes, I still work there. I currently am a crane operator and make $18 an hour and I am getting a 50 cent raise in a month.

Nope, never went to college.

Richesly
02-21-2015, 06:43 PM

I should have stayed in basketball shape now that I think about it. Do they still have tryouts for people wanting to join the league? I know that's how people like Ivan Johnson and Donald Sloan got in the league.

Done_And_Done
02-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Yes, I still work there. I currently am a crane operator and make $18 an hour and I am getting a 50 cent raise in a month.

Nope, never went to college.

That's a respectable trade. If you're happy and it pays the bills then stick with it.

Just know that it's never too late to take the education route. I've got people in my program who are well over 40, still trying to figure their lives out.

But yeah... In regards to the thread theme. Don't dwell, because being one of 60 players each year to catch a draft selection is equivalent to winning the lottery. Extreme slim chances...

Good luck...

Richesly
02-21-2015, 06:49 PM
That's a respectable trade. If you're happy and it pays the bills then stick with it.

Just know that it's never too late to take the education route. I've got people in my program who are well over 40, still trying to figure their lives out.

But yeah... In regards to the thread theme. Don't dwell, because being one of 60 players each year to catch a draft selection is equivalent to winning the lottery. Extreme slim chances...

Good luck...

I might take the education route when I have enough money and hit a brick wall. The highest position that I can achieve at the company I work for is a manager position which makes a salary of $75,000 a year. If I do get there, I might go to school to get my degree so I can move up.

Done_And_Done
02-21-2015, 06:53 PM
I might take the education route when I have enough money and hit a brick wall. The highest position that I can achieve at the company I work for is a manager position which makes a salary of $75,000 a year. If I do get there, I might go to school to get my degree so I can move up.

Good to know there's opportunity for growth where you're at. 75k ain't too shabby at all my friend. If they like you enough and see you as an asset, you might even be able to convince your company to pay for some of your tuition.

nathanjizzle
02-21-2015, 08:01 PM
no dude, you are not good enough to even think about making the nba.

blablabla
02-21-2015, 08:06 PM
Another thing was my anxiety. I have performance anxiety and it was first noted by my coach in ninth or tenth grade, can't remember that well. And whenever I had the ball in my hands during game I would panic a lot, especially while taking a jumpshot. Thus, the only times I scored were in backdoor cuts. I went to go see a psychologist who gave me some tests and confirmed that I did have general anxiety disorder and gave me a prescription of Welbutrin which did nothing so I stopped taking it.

sounds more like the 11' Lebron disease

Richesly
02-21-2015, 08:15 PM
no dude, you are not good enough to even think about making the nba.

Bet I could beat you 1 on 1 even at my current state bro. I still had a jumpshot, just wasn't consistent with the form. And I was only anxious during games that mattered, did good in pick up games at my local rec.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I was offered an athletic scholarship. To a D3 school. Do you know how impossible that is?

GOBB
02-21-2015, 08:18 PM
You have no chance not even on the Sixers.

blablabla
02-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Bet I could beat you 1 on 1 even at my current state bro. I still had a jumpshot, just wasn't consistent with the form. And I was only anxious during games that mattered, did good in pick up games at my local rec.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but I was offered an athletic scholarship. To a D3 school. Do you know how impossible that is?
Do you know how impossible it is for 6'1 dude who can't shoot and has a anxiety disorder to even play professional basketball, i won't even comment on being able to make the NBA.

Mostly because I had trouble focusing when I had the ball in my hands and didn't focus on my shooting form.this is from your other thread

what kind of player would you be ? the 6'1 reggie evans

you are an idiot for not taking the free education tho, at least then i would't have to read threads like this

Taller than CP3
02-21-2015, 08:40 PM
You wouldn't even be the 12th man of the worst team in the D League, let alone make itt in the NBA. Quit dreaming and stick to being the best player at the YMCA.

rhowen4
02-21-2015, 09:06 PM
6'1 and 11 rebounds a game, nice

the chances are slim like everyone is saying. nba players dominate in high school. do you think you could have dominated HS if you didn't have anxiety?

UK2K
02-21-2015, 09:25 PM
Here is my story http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=350310.

I didn't get go in depth as I would loved to, but as the title states.

I mentioned a D3 school offering me an athletic scholarship, and it was Birmingham-Southern College. Anyone who knows anything about college sports knows that getting an athletic scholarship from a D3 school is close to impossible. The reason why I didn't accept it was because of two things....

I had kind of lost interest in playing basketball in my senior year since I hadn't gotten any better after my most improved junior year. I had gotten more athletic and that was it.

I was the hardest working kid on my team, and probably all of Georgia. I attended another school's workout for about two weeks due to being suspended and waiting a disciplinary hearing for being caught with marijuana. I quickly became the coach's favorite there due to me working harder than anyone there. He even wanted me to stay, and I probably would've transferred there if I was suspended for the rest of the year at my school.

My average for my junior year was 7 points and 11 boards in about 22 minutes average.(We played 8 minute quarters), and my averages were about the same my senior year.

Should I have went to college and try to grow out of my anxiety or did I make the right choice going to work at at salvage factory for $14 an hour right out of high school?

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my senior year I was 6'1 at the end of my senior year and stopped growing since.

Ever watch American Idol?

Everyone thinks they are good enough to win it. 99.9% of them are mistaken.

Richesly
02-21-2015, 09:26 PM
6'1 and 11 rebounds a game, nice

the chances are slim like everyone is saying. nba players dominate in high school. do you think you could have dominated HS if you didn't have anxiety?

I had the most potential out of all the team said my coach. He had a private 1 on 1 convo with me that lasted for an hour after practice because he was frustrated with my offense. He understood I had anxiety issues but he tried his best to get me to forget about them.

He said I had potential to make it to a D1 school, even. Shit, he wanted me to play for Alabama State, his favorite college at the time if I were to make it.

Sometimes I feel depressed because I could never overcome it. It really bothers me, especially when I'm killing it in a pick up game. Sometimes I go to my old high school's game just to see my coach. He was like a father to me. As I type this I am tearing up a little bit. I did have a dream to play in a D1 school, and thats why I worked my ass off even when I wasn't gifted. I missed my chance just because of my anxiety. It ruined everything. I better stop typing because now I'm starting to really get ****ed up. I need some weed.

Lebronxrings
02-21-2015, 10:40 PM
no. Just get an education and a real job

T_L_P
02-21-2015, 10:44 PM
Thought you were leaving, little priest? :roll:

Jasper
02-21-2015, 10:55 PM
ppg and rebounds PER per minutes, I was thinking power forward.

:facepalm

I'd say get your shoes back on , and join us in the D-league.

Cocaine80s
02-21-2015, 11:05 PM
6'1 and can only score on back door cuts

You definitely would've made the NBA

RoundMoundOfReb
02-21-2015, 11:05 PM
In the 60s you could play center.

Richesly
02-22-2015, 01:45 AM
6'1 and can only score on back door cuts

You definitely would've made the NBA

I could drive too. I had nice handles and amazing footwork so I could drive pretty well but didn't really do it. My tendency was just to cut when my defender was sleeping. Lot of people in HS don't play defense, thats why I was so well liked.

UK2K
02-22-2015, 01:58 AM
I had the most potential out of all the team said my coach. He had a private 1 on 1 convo with me that lasted for an hour after practice because he was frustrated with my offense. He understood I had anxiety issues but he tried his best to get me to forget about them.

He said I had potential to make it to a D1 school, even. Shit, he wanted me to play for Alabama State, his favorite college at the time if I were to make it.

Sometimes I feel depressed because I could never overcome it. It really bothers me, especially when I'm killing it in a pick up game. Sometimes I go to my old high school's game just to see my coach. He was like a father to me. As I type this I am tearing up a little bit. I did have a dream to play in a D1 school, and thats why I worked my ass off even when I wasn't gifted. I missed my chance just because of my anxiety. It ruined everything. I better stop typing because now I'm starting to really get ****ed up. I need some weed.

Go to the Blue Courts on UK's campus.

If you want to see guys who kill it in pick up games. Guys 6'5" who have unlimited range run out and ball out of control. Its like you dont think they should physically be able to do the things they do.

Richesly
02-22-2015, 02:13 AM
Hey, how does one get in the D-league? I plan on getting back into basketball shape. I'm not really out of shape, but definitely not in professional shape.

Do you have to tryout for a team?

I<3NBA
02-22-2015, 02:36 AM
if you had a chance, you would be in it. so if you're not in it, NO, you never had the chance. take into consideration that scouts from all over the NBA try to look for ANYBODY that even has a decent chance of breaking into the NBA. and since you're not a 7 footer, whatever chance you've got evaporated the moment you mentioned you don't even have good fundamentals (shooting or passing).

you couldn't even start for your HS team until after a long time. remember that there are kids who don't practice who are better than you right at the get go who don't even break into the NBA. think about that.

think about the number of physically gifted kids who still fail to make the NBA. there are SO MANY OF THEM. you're not one of them. so what chance have you got? if you're not a 7-footer, you're never gonna get in the NBA if you're not the best of the best.

simply being offered a D3 scholarship won't cut it. remember that there are dudes who are starters in premium colleges who struggle to even be in the D-League.

stop second guessing yourself. you never had a chance.

Done_And_Done
02-22-2015, 02:57 AM
When one door closes, another opens. Don't dwell on the past Rich. Throwing yourself a pitty party based on missed opportunities is counter productive. Live for the current day and make positive, forward strides to benefit your life.

Making the NBA is like hitting the number. Don't harbour regrets based on something that was likely never going to happen anyway.

pastis
02-22-2015, 07:37 AM
is this serious? really?

i mean just writing, that your coach said you had potential, and wanted 1n1. LOL.

i mean my tennis coach said i was very talented. i played in Germany up to the Oberliga (4th Division) as i was 17. And man 4th Division didnt hear high, but its fvcking hard to get there. I also though at age 12 that i could make a breakthough in tennis. lol. but sometime you just realize that you are not talented enough. you just realize that there so many teenager/young adults who are just better than you, finding time to even train more, whatever. on the national level you realize how good these you adults and teenagers are and how few of them make it to a professional level.

if you didnt dominate you highschool like 26ppg on 50% and made the NCAA averaging like 14ppg at least. nah, no shot.
even NBA busts like Morrison or eve fredette dominated like hell the NCAA, were busts in the NBA, werent able to shoot over 40% on a consistent level

thats life bro.

Combat Wombat
02-22-2015, 07:59 AM
About as much chance as Lebron23 moving out of his parents house in the near future

D-FENS
02-22-2015, 08:19 AM
You have no chance not even on the Sixers.

That's a little harsh. David Stockton just logged minutes last night... anyone can make it

meat
02-22-2015, 09:29 AM
What kind of lonely narcissist posts this crap on the internet?
No you had no chance and you never will.
We can go on at length about how I could have been a baseball player.
Hey my coach said I had a lot of hustle! Get back on your crane.

Funnyfuka
02-22-2015, 12:27 PM
When one door closes, another opens. Don't dwell on the past Rich. Throwing yourself a pitty party based on missed opportunities is counter productive. Live for the current day and make positive, forward strides to benefit your life.

Making the NBA is like hitting the number. Don't harbour regrets based on something that was likely never going to happen anyway.

As you get older, there are less and less opened doors available tho... Life is brutally cruel, we re animals, and only the strong survive, at the expense of the weak.

kenuffff
02-22-2015, 01:42 PM
you averaged 7 points 11 rebounds in high school dude.

3peated
02-22-2015, 01:44 PM
going to college would be the only way you could have beaten it. most anti depressants and anxiety medications take 3-6 months to start working. the best way to fight through anxiety is to just force yourself to be uncomfortable. it's hard.

Nuff Said
02-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Iono how credible this story is but I am currently studying psychology and GAD is a chronic disorder that is usually diagnosed after many failed attempts to treat anxiety, not something that is thrown in right away and is typically treated with cognitive behavioral therapy and not medication. So at least that part of your story is questionable.

ImKobe
02-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Would have made the D-league

ILLsmak
02-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Go to the Blue Courts on UK's campus.

If you want to see guys who kill it in pick up games. Guys 6'5" who have unlimited range run out and ball out of control. Its like you dont think they should physically be able to do the things they do.

It's crazy how there are talents that should be in the nba but aren't, dudes that probably never even played d1. That's just how it is.

It just makes you realize while there are amazing dudes in the nba or any other "elite" profession, there are others who aren't and just didn't make it because of some circumstance or just bad luck. I mean imagine you get one chance and blow it. No real reason it just happens that way.

That kinda stuff is interesting to me, but I'm not buying ops story. Sounds like mostly bullshat. But its w/e.

-Smak

Funnyfuka
02-22-2015, 06:59 PM
going to college would be the only way you could have beaten it. most anti depressants and anxiety medications take 3-6 months to start working. the best way to fight through anxiety is to just force yourself to be uncomfortable. it's hard.
no drugs cure mental weakness... if you re weak, you re weak, and the strong is gonna rape you to death and collect everything you leave behind. Drugs completely **** up with your brain and body tho, leaving you even more weaker.