PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Chicago Bulls with Pau Gasol vs. 1986 Boston Celtics

Lebron23
02-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Do you think the greatest Bulls team are now capable of beating the greatest team in NBA History??

http://www.thenolookpass.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/espndb_1993nbachamp_576.jpg

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/nwitimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/73/273cbf59-bdfb-5358-87e3-5c4d0bdf7866/5452a6bb44b6e.preview-620.jpg

C: Pau Gasol
F: Horace Grant
F- Scottie Pippen
G- Michael Jordan
G- John Paxson

http://thesocietyofthespectacle.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/BOSTON-CELTICS-1986.jpg

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/91/09441ef1254bae12e3759e73a743951d/l.jpg

navy
02-21-2015, 06:39 PM
Who did he replace?

sportjames23
02-21-2015, 06:40 PM
1) The 1993 Bulls weren't the greatest Bulls team.
2) MJ alone almost stole a game from Bird's best Celtics team, in only his second year, with NO help. The 1993 Bulls would have taken that Celtics team out in 6.
3) Adding Gasol to that Bulls team is overkill. Unless Cartwright is being replaced by him (Cartwright ensured the Bulls didn't get murdered in the post), but I'd still take a prime MJ, Pip and Grant along with Gasol to take that Celts team.

NBAplayoffs2001
02-21-2015, 06:41 PM
'93 MJ was a freak of nature in those NBA finals. No way he lets them loose. This is a 6 game series though. Pau Gasol will hold his own but he will average less points and he will slow down Kevin McHale.

Lebron23
02-21-2015, 06:41 PM
Who did he replace?

http://www.lopezdoriga.com/images/img_noticias/bill-cartwright-1.jpg

NBAplayoffs2001
02-21-2015, 06:42 PM
http://www.lopezdoriga.com/images/img_noticias/bill-cartwright-1.jpg

To this day, I do not get why they gave up Oakley for this dude but I'm grateful because we had Oakley for those glorious 1990s NYK teams.

Smoke117
02-21-2015, 06:48 PM
'93 MJ was a freak of nature in those NBA finals. No way he lets them loose. This is a 6 game series though. Pau Gasol will hold his own but he will average less points and he will slow down Kevin McHale.

http://replygif.net/i/154.gif

SamuraiSWISH
02-21-2015, 06:50 PM
1) The 1993 Bulls weren't the greatest Bulls team.
I actually would argue they were ... last year we'd see prime MJ. Beyond brief fleeting glimpses in the playoffs of 1995 when he was beyond rusty, and out of basketball shape.

The '93 Bulls coasted the regular season coming off 4x seasons of deep playoff basketball, 2x of which went all the way to June winning rings.

Then our two best players played the '92 summer for the American Olympic Team. We were kind of gassed. No team since Russell's Celtics had 3-Peated. 1993 Bulls faced a monumental challenge in doing so. Hadn't been done in the modern era of basketball since it's primative infancy stages when only 8 teams shared the league.

Pippen, and Grant underperformed all year. But moving BJ Armstrong to the starting lineup made them better defensively, while losing no off the ball shooting from the perimeter to stretch defenses. Paxson was great off the bench as an intelligent, tough, veteran leader.

The 1993 Bulls faced the greatest tests of their championship will. Faced a very tough 1st round opponent, with a surging Dominique Wilkins leading them. In the 2nd round dispatched a Cleveland team that was better than it was the season prior bringing in athletic Gerald Wilkins to try and defend Jordan.

Then in the Conference Finals, without home court advantage we came back from an 0-2 hole against one of the toughest, most physical, grittiest teams ever, featuring a top ten all-time defense. A club that was near undefeated @ home in MSG and won just over 60 games.

In the Finals we beat a stacked offensive talented team, that featured the MVP and the highest octane offense in the league. Who also won over 60 games.

It may not show in W-L record in the reg season, but I've always maintained the '93 Bulls were the best of them all. They faced the greatest tests, and most adversity ... yet still defended their throne 3 times over.

Smoke117
02-21-2015, 06:54 PM
I actually would argue they were ... last year we'd see prime MJ. Beyond brief fleeting glimpses in the playoffs of 1995 when he was beyond rusty, and out of basketball shape.

The '93 Bulls coasted the regular season coming off 4x seasons of deep playoff basketball, 2x of which went all the way to June winning rings.

Then our two best players played the '92 summer for the American Olympic Team. We were kind of gassed. No team since Russell's Celtics had 3-Peated. 1993 Bulls faced a monumental challenge in doing so. Hadn't been done in the modern era of basketball since it's primative infancy stages when only 8 teams shared the league.

Pippen, and Grant underperformed all year. But moving BJ Armstrong to the starting lineup made them better defensively, while losing no off the ball shooting from the perimeter to stretch defenses. Paxson was great off the bench as an intelligent, tough, veteran leader.

The 1993 Bulls faced the greatest tests of their championship will. Faced a very tough 1st round opponent, with a surging Dominique Wilkins leading them. In the 2nd round dispatched a Cleveland team that was better than it was the season prior bringing in athletic Gerald Wilkins to try and defend Jordan.

Then in the Conference Finals, without home court advantage we came back from an 0-2 hole against one of the toughest, most physical, grittiest teams ever, featuring a top ten all-time defense. A club that was near undefeated @ home in MSG and won just over 60 games.

In the Finals we beat a stacked offensive talented team, that featured the MVP and the highest octane offense in the league. Who also won over 60 games.

It may not show in W-L record in the reg season, but I've always maintained the '93 Bulls were the best of them all. They faced the greatest tests, and most adversity ... yet still defended their throne 3 times over.

I doubt that has ever been said before about BJ Armstrong...making a defense better...

SamuraiSWISH
02-21-2015, 06:56 PM
I doubt that has ever been said before about BJ Armstrong...making a defense better...
He was a significant improvement over Paxson. You probably weren't watching then ... Paxson was liability defensively.

Smoke117
02-21-2015, 07:01 PM
He was a significant improvement over Paxson. You probably weren't watching then ... Paxson was liability defensively.

They were both awful defensive players and liabilities. Bulls never had anything defensively at pg during the first threepeat. I suppose you don't need someone that good though when you have Jordan and Pippen on the perimeter with them though. The only thing BJ could be a significant improvement over defensively is a corpse.

SamuraiSWISH
02-21-2015, 07:04 PM
They were both awful defensive players and liabilities. Bulls never had anything defensively at pg during the first threepeat. I suppose you don't need someone that good though when you have Jordan and Pippen on the perimeter with them though. The only thing BJ could be a significant improvement over defensively is a corpse.
I didn't say he was Lindsey Hunter, Mookie Blaylock, GP, Stockton, or J. Kidd. But he was better than Paxson.

Angel Face
02-21-2015, 08:01 PM
2010 Gasol or today's Gasol? Nevertheless, he isn't going to be the defender Grant was. Grant's defense > Gasol's defense. Gasol is a better scorer than Grant but that Bulls team already had other reliable scoring options other than MJ. I don't think Gasol would improve this team more.

navy
02-21-2015, 08:06 PM
2010 Gasol or today's Gasol? Nevertheless, he isn't going to be the defender Grant was. Grant's defense > Gasol's defense. Gasol is a better scorer than Grant but that Bulls team already had other reliable scoring options other than MJ. I don't think Gasol would improve this team more.
Grant is still on the team

colts19
02-21-2015, 08:13 PM
That 93 team never came close to playing a team like the 86 Celtics. Celtics in 4, Jordan's losing streak to Celtics goes to 10 in a row.Record against bird goes to 16 and 28.

Angel Face
02-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Oh, I only read the thread title, since Gasol was a PF I was thinking he will replace Grant. Gasol replacing Cartwright? Definitely an improvement on the offense.

sportjames23
02-21-2015, 09:41 PM
That 93 team never came close to playing a team like the 86 Celtics. Celtics in 4, Jordan's losing streak to Celtics goes to 10 in a row.Record against bird goes to 16 and 28.

LOL this ****in' guy.

The 86 Celts had trouble with second year MJ, coming off missing most of the season with a broken foot no less.

What do you think prime MJ would do to them? Add in prime Pippen and Grant on defense and offense. Add in three point snipers in Paxson and Armstrong. Add in big bodies in Perdue, Williams and King.

Man, GTFO.

1987_Lakers
02-21-2015, 09:46 PM
LOL this ****in' guy.

The 86 Celts had trouble with second year MJ, coming off missing most of the season with a broken foot no less.

Boston still swept Chicago in that series 3-0. And 2 of the 3 games were blowouts.:oldlol:

deja vu
02-21-2015, 10:42 PM
Bulls would beat the Celtics in 6.

97 bulls
02-21-2015, 11:55 PM
Boston still swept Chicago in that series 3-0. And 2 of the 3 games were blowouts.:oldlol:
Game 1 was closer than the score indicated. The Celtics began to pull away late in the third.

1987_Lakers
02-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Game 1 was closer than the score indicated. The Celtics began to pull away late in the third.

It was still a blow out.

Boston also swept them the next year.

97 bulls
02-22-2015, 12:02 AM
It was still a blow out.

Boston also swept them the next year.
Those games were close too.

juju151111
02-22-2015, 12:08 AM
Those games were close too.
Exactly, imagine that Mj with actual people helping him. They couldn't stop him in the first place. With a more playoff Davy team and Waugh better teammates I don't see why Mj couldn't win.

colts19
02-22-2015, 04:35 PM
Exactly, imagine that Mj with actual people helping him. They couldn't stop him in the first place. With a more playoff Davy team and Waugh better teammates I don't see why Mj couldn't win.
Couldn't stop him. In 1987 playoffs.

MJ 35 for 84 41% 21 rbs 18 assist
Bird 24 for 45 53% 30 rbs 27 assist

1986 playoffs
Mj 48 of 95 50% 19 rbs 17 assist
Bird 28 of 53 53% 24 rbs 24 assist

Seems to me Larry Legend was the one who they couldn't stop.

SamuraiSWISH
02-22-2015, 04:41 PM
Couldn't stop him. In 1987 playoffs.

MJ 35 for 84 41% 21 rbs 18 assist
Bird 24 for 45 53% 30 rbs 27 assist

Seems to me Larry Legend was the one who they couldn't stop.
2nd year MJ going 1 on 5 v.s. prime Bird who had an all-time great team around him.

ILLsmak
02-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Threads like this blow my mind because they are in no way rooted in reality. It's not even a situation that could have happened. I mean, we're taking three eras and mixing them together. That's too much for me. I can do the hypothetical era vs era comparisons, but throwing Gasol in there really shut down my brain.

-Smak

colts19
02-22-2015, 04:55 PM
2nd year MJ going 1 on 5 v.s. prime Bird who had an all-time great team around him.
I understand what your saying. I just get tired of people acting like MJ out played Bird. Just because you shoot more doesn't mean your better.

colts19
02-22-2015, 04:57 PM
3rd year

JellyBean
02-22-2015, 06:11 PM
I got the Celtics. That team was just on an unbelievable mission. Plus you throw in the physical nature of that 86 team, the frontcourt of the Celtics, the 6th Man of the Year in Bill Walton, overall better team chemistry, and team depth, I got the Celtics over the Bulls in 6 games.

Roundball_Rock
02-22-2015, 06:24 PM
To this day, I do not get why they gave up Oakley for this dude but I'm grateful because we had Oakley for those glorious 1990s NYK teams.

Ewing, basically. The idea was Cartwright could contain Ewing. Keep in mind the East not only had Ewing at center but also Daughtery on Chicago's division rival Cleveland.

It may not show in W-L record in the reg season, but I've always maintained the '93 Bulls were the best of them all.

:kobe:

The 93' Bulls were the weakest edition of the champion Bulls other than the 98' team.

As to the hypothetical presented in the OP, tough call but I would take Chicago in 7.

Regarding 86' and 87', it was not "1 on 5" in 86', although the Bulls clearly were outgunned. No need to exaggerate that, though. MJ had a 20+ ppg SF as his second option in 86' but it is not just about getting 20-22 points from a random second player. :pimp:

1987_Lakers
02-22-2015, 07:46 PM
I got the Celtics. That team was just on an unbelievable mission. Plus you throw in the physical nature of that 86 team, the frontcourt of the Celtics, the 6th Man of the Year in Bill Walton, overall better team chemistry, and team depth, I got the Celtics over the Bulls in 6 games.

There has never been a frontcourt close to the level of the '86 Celtics. 2 superstars (Bird & McHale), 1 All-Star (Parish), & a 6MOY (Walton). Just insane.

Even with an added Gasol the Celtics still would have a better frontcourt, but to answer the OP's question I would go with Chicago, a peak Gasol brings so much to a team, not quite a superstar, but a borderline top 10 player in the league, that is a huge upgrade over a past prime Bill Cartwright who was one of the worst starting centers by '93.

Just the fact that a question was asked whether a team who won a title with Jordan in his prime with another added all-star player would beat the '86 Celtics should tell you how highly regarded that Celtics team is.

1987_Lakers
02-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Regarding 86' and 87', it was not "1 on 5" in 86', although the Bulls clearly were outgunned. No need to exaggerate that, though. MJ had a 20+ ppg SF as his second option in 86' but it is not just about getting 20-22 points from a random second player. :pimp:

100% agree.

Jordan in '86 had Woolridge who was a 20 ppg scorer and rookie Oakley who was instantly a factor on the boards, averaged a double-double vs Boston.