PDA

View Full Version : Since when is George Karl a great coach?

iamgine
02-22-2015, 05:46 AM
I remember just a few years ago in Denver he was almost universally said to be one of the worst coach in the NBA. He was getting the Vinny Del Negro treatment.

What happened?

JohnFreeman
02-22-2015, 05:47 AM
Didn't he win COY?

Milbuck
02-22-2015, 05:48 AM
lol what

Eric Cartman
02-22-2015, 05:53 AM
He was fired after winning COTY, 57 wins.

How tf is that being a bad coach?

stephanieg
02-22-2015, 05:57 AM
I miss the old Fire George Karl site, was hilarious.

There was about a decade or so where every COY was terrible and got fired after winning it.

Akrazotile
02-22-2015, 06:20 AM
Coaching is overrated in the pros

CP343
02-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Karl is pretty consistent at getting teams to the playoffs. That is at least something, and could get some playoff experience for Cousins in the future. If he continues to fail in the playoffs, then fire him, but 1 step at a time.

DukeDelonte13
02-22-2015, 08:32 AM
he got out of the 1st round like once in a stretch of 10 trips. I think he's very overrated.

Also he's old and has health issues. He's not going to be putting in the time as a younger, and hungrier coach.

with that being said he's not a bad coach and I do think he's a good pick up for a team like the Kings.

Nowitness
02-22-2015, 08:35 AM
I've always said this.

Top 3 WOAT coaching decision in sports history by not letting GP shut down Jordan in 96, costing Seattle a title and a team.

chocolatethunder
02-22-2015, 10:08 AM
I've always said this.

Top 3 WOAT coaching decision in sports history by not letting GP shut down Jordan in 96, costing Seattle a title and a team.
I was a Seattle fan and there was no chance that Payton was going to shut down Jordan. No one shut down Jordan. Chicago was just better and that's pretty much it.

el gringos
02-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Karl is great at getting jobs, and making them last. He will coach a few seasons while setting up his excuse why the team isn't right. Then he will get them to change the team around and he will coach another few seasons. All that matters is adding to his career win totals

Signing g Karl was step 1 in running cousins off. Just don't know why they are choosing that right now.

Akhenaten
02-22-2015, 04:16 PM
I was a Seattle fan and there was no chance that Payton was going to shut down Jordan. No one shut down Jordan.

After Payton switched over to guarding MJ (game 4-6), Jordan avg:

24 points, 5 rebs, 3ast 4TO's on 37% FG

If that doesnt qualify as being shut down, then no one in the history of the league has ever been shut down.

longtime lurker
02-22-2015, 04:21 PM
I remember just a few years ago in Denver he was almost universally said to be one of the worst coach in the NBA. He was getting the Vinny Del Negro treatment.

What happened?

:biggums: What the hell are you talking about? George Karl is known for getting his team into the playoffs regardless of how much or how little talent is on them. Unfortunately he'll also alienate your star player within a couple years

kamil
02-22-2015, 04:34 PM
I was a Seattle fan and there was no chance that Payton was going to shut down Jordan. No one shut down Jordan. Chicago was just better and that's pretty much it.

For the record, Payton did the best job of defending mj that anyone did against him in the finals.

ILLsmak
02-22-2015, 04:37 PM

lol well it doesn't matter. the way I see it you gotta give him the chance. ****ing "Hershey" Hawkins out there trying to stick Jordan was sad shit.

I think Karl is a good coach, but I don't think he's a great coach. Of course, it's like saying someone is an all-star but not a superstar. Not many great coaches, period.

Still there are a lot of guys I'd take over him.

-Smak

KNOW1EDGE
02-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Since the 90s

So before i poked OPs mom without a condum and he was born with a birth-defect that caused him to create horrible threads. Sorry yall

Heavincent
02-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Since forever.

chocolatethunder
02-22-2015, 05:10 PM
After Payton switched over to guarding MJ (game 4-6), Jordan avg:

24 points, 5 rebs, 3ast 4TO's on 37% FG

If that doesnt qualify as being shut down, then no one in the history of the league has ever been shut down.
And the Bulls still won. That's my point. It didn't matter who guarded Jordan, the Bulls were going to win and they did. The Sonics won two of those games, you don't think that Chicago was incapable of making any adjustments? It looks like they did and that they won game six. Great teams find a way to win I don't care who was guarding Jordan the Sonics weren't winning that series.

chocolatethunder
02-22-2015, 05:12 PM
For the record, Payton did the best job of defending mj that anyone did against him in the finals.
I'm not saying that he didn't. I'm saying that the Chicago team and their coaching staff were just fine at making adjustments and finding ways to win which is exactly what they did.

Akhenaten
02-22-2015, 08:58 PM
And the Bulls still won. That's my point. It didn't matter who guarded Jordan, the Bulls were going to win and they did. The Sonics won two of those games, you don't think that Chicago was incapable of making any adjustments? It looks like they did and that they won game six. Great teams find a way to win I don't care who was guarding Jordan the Sonics weren't winning that series.

maybe, maybe not, whos to say?
But GP should have been on him from jump, maybe they win 2 out of every 3 games and beat CHI in 6:confusedshrug:

Payton on Jordan was their best shot though, no doubt, how it took til game 4 for Karl to recognize this is beyond me.

Mr.Kite
02-22-2015, 09:00 PM

The only way for Jordan to get shut down was if someone invented the time machine and sent lebron back to 1996 to play against him

bigkingsfan
02-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Check his stats.

chocolatethunder
02-22-2015, 09:25 PM
maybe, maybe not, whos to say?
But GP should have been on him from jump, maybe they win 2 out of every 3 games and beat CHI in 6:confusedshrug:

Payton on Jordan was their best shot though, no doubt, how it took til game 4 for Karl to recognize this is beyond me.
It doesn't matter because they won and that's what they did. I hated the Bulls but there was no real chance of Seattle winning that series. It took Kemp and Payton playing out of their minds to get there but they weren't good enough. Maybe it was their best shot but they still won when it counted. No one was beating them.

OnFire
02-23-2015, 12:46 AM
:biggums: What the hell are you talking about? George Karl is known for getting his team into the playoffs regardless of how much or how little talent is on them. Unfortunately he'll also alienate your star player within a couple years

Bonus, he already got that out of the Way.

DeuceWallaces
02-23-2015, 01:13 AM
Nothing says being a bad coach like winning COY and taking multiple teams to the Finals and Conference Finals.

Plus he won a series with Melo. That's like winning the championship.

KevinNYC
02-23-2015, 01:41 AM
Plus he's got style.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll3bd7lXpw1qbxp0io1_500.jpg