PDA

View Full Version : Oscars 2015

alenleomessi
02-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Starts in 2 and a half hours. Host is Neil Patrick Harris..

Best Picture: American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, The Imitation Game, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Selma, Whiplash, The Theory of everything
Best Actor: Steve Carell, Bradley Cooper, Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Keaton, Eddie Redmayne
Best Actress: Marion Cotillard, Julianne Moore, Felicity Jones, Rosamund Pike, Reese Whiterspoon
Best Supporting Actor: Robert Duvall, Edward Norton, Ethan Hawke, Mark Ruffalo, JK Simmons
Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Keira Knightley, Meryl Streep, Emma Stone, Laura Dern.

Your picks?
I watched like half of the movies and none of them blew me out. Weak year. Best actor i think Bradley Cooper was the best but still pretty mediocre group of actors. Sup. Actor blows out best actor this year. Stacked group. Probably JK Simmons will win it although it would be nice for Norton to finally get one

ArbitraryWater
02-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Oh shit didnt even know.. but the most interesting category, doesnt look that interesting this year..

Cumberbatch or Keaton should get it.

DonDadda59
02-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Best Picture: Boyhood
Best Director: Alejandror Innaritu (Birdman)
Best Cinematography: Emmanuel Lubezki (Birdman)
Best Actor: Michael Keaton
Best Actress: Julianne Moore
Best Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons
Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette
Best Editing: Boyhood
Original Screenplay: Birdman
Adapted Screenplay: Whiplash (Even though technically it's original, adapted from the short film)

Didn't see any of the foreign or animated films. They really need to do a better job getting screeners out.

KingBeasley08
02-22-2015, 08:09 PM
^ Dadda got it right. Those are our winners

Joyner82reload
02-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Best Picture: American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, The Imitation Game, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Selma, Whiplash, The Theory of everything
Best Actor: Steve Carell, Bradley Cooper, Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Keaton, Eddie Redmayne
Best Actress: Marion Cotillard, Julianne Moore, Felicity Jones, Rosamund Pike, Reese Whiterspoon
Best Supporting Actor: Robert Duvall, Edward Norton, Ethan Hawke, Mark Ruffalo, JK Simmons
Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Keira Knightley, Meryl Streep, Emma Stone, Laura Dern.

Bold=who will win, Italic=who should win

Boyhood is overrated trash, if that wins best picture I will be legitimately upset. Also fvck Julianne Moore, although she deserved best supporting actress for Boogie Nights

alenleomessi
02-22-2015, 09:48 PM
jk simmons wins the first one

jamal99
02-22-2015, 09:52 PM
I didn't watch much of these movies, but I'm sure of Alejandro Innaritu and Emmanuel Lubezki winning best director and best cinematography respectively.

L.Kizzle
02-22-2015, 09:52 PM
How many nomination Kevin Hart got?

Qwyjibo
02-22-2015, 09:54 PM
The best picture noms from best to worst:

1. Whiplash
- Simply amazing.

2. Birdman
3. Boyhood
- One of these two will win and that's perfectly fine.

4. Selma
5. The Imitation Game
6. The Grand Budapest Hotel
- All very good

7. American Sniper
8. The Theory of Everything
- Decent but nether deserved the nomination.

CP343
02-22-2015, 10:15 PM
jk simmons wins the first one

I imagine it is deserved, but haven't seen it.

alenleomessi
02-22-2015, 10:23 PM
NPH has been a big letdown.. the show is pretty boring

BoogieWoogieMan
02-22-2015, 10:25 PM
I imagine it is deserved, but haven't seen it.

Do yourself a favor and watch it tonight.

ROCSteady
02-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Shit. Forgot to post my picks with pics.

http://roccocaz.squarespace.com

bladefd
02-22-2015, 10:39 PM
It is a popularity contest. These people should win on name alone.
Red: who will win
Blue: who should win IMO
Single color: who will win & deserves to

Best Supporting Actress: Patricia Arquette, Keira Knightley, Meryl Streep, Emma Stone, Laura Dern

Keep in mind I haven't seen many of these movies yet so a lot is based on gut feeling.

CP343
02-22-2015, 10:47 PM
Do yourself a favor and watch it tonight.

That won't be happening. Maybe later in the week.

I<3NBA
02-22-2015, 10:49 PM
isn't Birdman an adapated screenplay?

bladefd
02-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Does Interstellar have any nominations? Truly an awesome movie that got completely snubbed :confusedshrug:

jamal99
02-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Kind of surprised Patricia Arquette won...

I<3NBA
02-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Does Interstellar have any nominations? Truly an awesome movie that got completely snubbed :confusedshrug:
what nomination would you have given it?

aside from music score, i can't think of anything else.

Kind of surprised Patricia Arquette won...
quite expected tbh. voters would take into account that she spent an on and off 10 years to be cast in that, so they'd be swayed at the obvious investment in time given to act in that movie.

alenleomessi
02-22-2015, 11:04 PM
just won one for visual effects

arkain
02-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Zoe Saldana, best part of the Oscars so far.

alenleomessi
02-22-2015, 11:27 PM
jessica chastain god damn

CP343
02-22-2015, 11:32 PM

And visual effects, which it won.

bladefd
02-22-2015, 11:47 PM

The following 7 nominations:
-Best actor: Matthew McConaughey over Steve Carell (or Benedict Cumberbatch? I didn't see imitation game)
-Directing: Christopher Nolan -- not sure who I would drop for him though
-Music --- already nominated
-Production design --- already nominated
-Sound editing --- already nominated
-Writing
-Cinematography

Should win music, sound editing, cinematography, and production design

Joyner82reload
02-22-2015, 11:56 PM
-Best actor: Matthew McConaughey over Steve Carell (or Benedict Cumberbatch? I didn't see imitation game)
-Writing
-Cinematography

HELL NO. If Nolan was going to win best director, it should have been for his best film which is Memento

As for MM, he's been the best actor in Hollywood over the past 2 years but Inception isn't top 3 in his roles over that timespan

bladefd
02-23-2015, 12:03 AM
HELL NO. If Nolan was going to win best director, it should have been for his best film which is Memento

As for MM, he's been the best actor in Hollywood over the past 2 years but Inception isn't top 3 in his roles over that timespan

I assume you meant Interstellar? Name me 3 movies of his better since 2012. Dallas Buyers Club. That's it.

Wolf of Wallstreet I don't count since he was in the movie for 10 minutes max. True Detective he was BRILLIANT but it's not a movie.

arkain
02-23-2015, 12:10 AM
John Legend, what an idiot. Should have left it at Common's speech. Ruined a great acceptance speech.

Andrei89
02-23-2015, 12:12 AM
What the hell John Legend?

There is a struggle for justice even today he says. Then he mentions that there are more black men being incarcerated today than there were slaves back in 1850.

And? What does he mean? That they are in jail because of discrimination? That they are in jail because they are slaves?

Some people truly say some ridiculous things. Almost nobody applauded because they were all like "wtf"..

Cowboy Thunder
02-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Interstellar will be the only blueray I buy this year

Take that best picture! :mad:

Andrei89
02-23-2015, 12:13 AM
John Legend, what an idiot. Should have left it at Common's speech. Ruined a great acceptance speech.

Indeed. Way to ruin Common's speech. Idiots everywhere.

Andrei89
02-23-2015, 12:14 AM
-Writing
-Cinematography

If you have not seen The Imitation Game, then why would you even suggest ( with a question mark) , Matthew McConaughey over Benedict Cumberbatch?

Are we gonna act like Cumberbatch aint the better actor?

raiderfan19
02-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Who won best director

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 12:15 AM
I assume you meant Interstellar? Name me 3 movies of his better since 2012. Dallas Buyers Club. That's it.

Wolf of Wallstreet I don't count since he was in the movie for 10 minutes max. True Detective he was BRILLIANT but it's not a movie.

Yes, sorry I meant Interstellar

Mud was actually his best role(excluding True Detective) not DBC

He was also better in Killer Joe and Bernie

DeuceWallaces
02-23-2015, 12:24 AM
Gaga tore up that Andrews tribute. I don't care much for her singles, but every time I catch her singing and playing piano I'm always impressed.

Cowboy Thunder
02-23-2015, 12:28 AM
Budapest blew ass.

Hans getting no love due to "sci-fi"

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 12:31 AM
Budapest blew ass.

Budapest didn't blow, but it was nowhere near Anderson's best work. Rushmore, Tenenbaums, Fox, and Moonrise Kingdom were all better. It's a joke that Interstellar didn't win best score though, that was EASILY the best

Patrick Chewing
02-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Someone tell Chris Pine to man the **** up.

bladefd
02-23-2015, 12:35 AM
If you have not seen The Imitation Game, then why would you even suggest ( with a question mark) , Matthew McConaughey over Benedict Cumberbatch?

Are we gonna act like Cumberbatch aint the better actor?

McCon is better actor easily. As a pure actor, I would take his acting over Cumberbatch.

I just don't know in specific case if we compare McCon in Interstellar versus Cumberbatch in Imitation Game since I didn't watch the latter

Budapest blew ass.

Yes.. What the hell was that?

Cowboy Thunder
02-23-2015, 12:43 AM
I haven't seen Birdman, but I feel like I already loathe it.

Reminds me of Argo. Hollywood loving Hollywood.

1987_Lakers
02-23-2015, 12:45 AM

Saw it last night. I honestly expected better, still a good film.

Cowboy Thunder
02-23-2015, 12:45 AM
http://www.kinnemaniac.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/1-Frank.jpg

Nowitness
02-23-2015, 12:46 AM

You can't compare the two. Argo is a redundant action-packed, neatly tied up piece of trash from one of the worst people in Hollywood.

Birdman is a satire of the commercial trend Hollywood has started using again, mocking superhero films. The acting is fantastic, six minute takes of raw intensity and focus. The cinematography is a lock, outside of smart transitioning their is virtually no editing. Great score, funny lines....

Silly boy. Silly animal.

1987_Lakers
02-23-2015, 12:46 AM
Had no Idea the director of Birdman was Mexican. I take my previous post back, I loved Birdman.:oldlol:

jamal99
02-23-2015, 12:48 AM
Saw it last night. I honestly expected better, still a good film.
I expected more too. Heard many good things about it, plus one of my friends totally hyped it as best movie ever. Director did a great job tho...

Nowitness
02-23-2015, 12:48 AM
Had no Idea the director of Birdman was Mexican. I take my previous post back, I loved Birdman.:oldlol:

What does his nationality have to do with it?

Also who goes to watch a film like Birdman without knowing/looking up those kind of things. It isn't the Avengers.

Cowboy Thunder
02-23-2015, 12:49 AM
I want to see Foxcatcher.

dazzer87
02-23-2015, 12:51 AM
Come on Mr. Mom suppose to win.....:facepalm

bigkingsfan
02-23-2015, 12:53 AM
Always give it to the retarded/disease role dude.

1987_Lakers
What does his nationality have to do with it?

Also who goes to watch a film like Birdman without knowing/looking up those kind of things. It isn't the Avengers.
I'm also Mexican which would explain my previous comment.

I've heard people talk about Birdman for months now just never got the chance to see it. Knew the storyline and actors just not the director.

after looking at the directors imdb page, Birdman doesn't touch his 2000 film Amores Perros which is the best Mexican film I have ever seen.

Joyner82reload
I want to see Foxcatcher.

http://putlocker.is/watch-foxcatcher-online-free-putlocker.html

There you go

It's a good movie, but overrated IMO. Channing Tatum is pretty bad in the movie, but Ruffalo steals the show for me over Carell. I think Steve got way too much love for his performance, which was largely just makeup and a voice. I guess his acclaim is to be expected however as it's a guy known for comedy jumping into a dramatic role.

Nowitness
02-23-2015, 12:55 AM
I'm also Mexican which would explain my previous comment.

I've heard people talk about Birdman for months now just never got the chance to see it. Knew the storyline and actors just not the director.

after looking at the directors imdb page, Birdman doesn't touch his 2000 film Amores Perros which is the best Mexican film I have ever seen.

You're now a friend. Had to study it for Film Studies at college. The film was amazing, admittedly jumping on a Pulp Fiction trend, but it was an incredible feat.

jamal99
02-23-2015, 12:55 AM

Wow, I didn't know it's the guy who did Amores Perros, great film really.

bigkingsfan
02-23-2015, 12:57 AM
Don't plan to watch either movie by the best actor and actress.

Cowboy Thunder
02-23-2015, 12:58 AM
Gone Girl was ftw

Nowitness
02-23-2015, 12:58 AM
An embarrassment that Eddie Redmayne won.

Cowboy Thunder
02-23-2015, 12:59 AM
ALS won Best Actor
Alzheimer's won Best Actress

is that right?

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 01:04 AM
ALS won Best Actor
Alzheimer's won Best Actress

is that right?

What were the alternatives?

Suicidal Schizophrenic washed up actor
Homicidal Sociopathic housewife

Cowboy Thunder
02-23-2015, 01:05 AM
Ugh...I bet Birdman blows dick.

I'll give it a chance, but I bet it's terrible.

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 01:06 AM

Boyhood is overrated trash, if that wins best picture I will be legitimately upset. Also fvck Julianne Moore, although she deserved best supporting actress for Boogie Nights

Could have saved you guys 4 hours to read my post on page 1

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 01:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0Y8JnQmWk

bigkingsfan
02-23-2015, 01:10 AM
No one watches the entire, they catch the 15 minutes opening monologue and then the final 30 minutes.

bladefd
02-23-2015, 01:11 AM

Damn, you were right on the money. :cheers: :cheers:

I<3NBA
02-23-2015, 01:15 AM
You can't compare the two. Argo is a redundant action-packed, neatly tied up piece of trash from one of the worst people in Hollywood.

Birdman is a satire of the commercial trend Hollywood has started using again, mocking superhero films. The acting is fantastic, six minute takes of raw intensity and focus. The cinematography is a lock, outside of smart transitioning their is virtually no editing. Great score, funny lines....

Silly boy. Silly animal.
what? that's why it was so good. because the cuts could hardly be seen. it was edited to look like a continuous shot. to say "there was virtually no editing" is to show yourself ignorant of shooting a film.

and Birdman deserved the win. although IMO, i thought Budapest was also good. still isn't a knock that Birdman won it. better performances, better screenplay, and better directing. Budapest just won all the technical awards.

DonDadda59
02-23-2015, 01:20 AM
An embarrassment that Eddie Redmayne won.

This. Easily the worst choice of the nominees. I wanna be mad, but Redmayne is so damn adorable :facepalm

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 01:22 AM
what? that's why it was so good. because the cuts could hardly be seen. it was edited to look like a continuous shot. to say "there was virtually no editing" is to show yourself ignorant of shooting a film.

and Birdman deserved the win. although IMO, i thought Budapest was also good. still isn't a knock that Birdman won it. better performances, better screenplay, and better directing. Budapest just won all the technical awards.

There were probably 20 cuts throughout the movie, although the first 30 or so minutes seemed like 1 continuous shoot. I liked the "uncut" filming style, although if you pay attention you can easily tell where the cuts appear. It's whenever something else covers up the entire screen, such as the cameraman moving behind props on the stage.

Nowitness
02-23-2015, 01:26 AM

I mean in the sense of shot reverse shot, jump cuts...

Clearly you don't understand film. It looks like there was no editing.

yobore
02-23-2015, 01:27 AM
There were probably 20 cuts throughout the movie, although the first 30 or so minutes seemed like 1 continuous shoot.
I just watched it and its not 30 minutes or so. The whole movie until the last scene looked continuous

Qwyjibo
02-23-2015, 01:31 AM
I just watched it and its not 30 minutes or so. The whole movie until the last scene looked continuous
That's because him shooting himself on stage was real and that was his death. The hospital scene is what would've been his ideal aftermath.

Oops. Spoiler (hah, eat shit whoever hasn't seen it).

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 01:44 AM
That's because him shooting himself on stage was real and that was his death. The hospital scene is what would've been his ideal aftermath.

Oops. Spoiler (hah, eat shit whoever hasn't seen it).

I assumed it was the hallucinations experienced when the brain stops receiving oxygen/right before death, no? Not the ideal scenario, but what was produced by his brain experiencing trauma/failure

CP343
02-23-2015, 02:11 AM
Birdman :applause:

CP343
02-23-2015, 02:12 AM

Nice predictions.

BRabbiT
02-23-2015, 02:50 AM
What the hell John Legend?

There is a struggle for justice even today he says. Then he mentions that there are more black men being incarcerated today than there were slaves back in 1850.

And? What does he mean? That they are in jail because of discrimination? That they are in jail because they are slaves?

Some people truly say some ridiculous things. Almost nobody applauded because they were all like "wtf"..

he spoke eloquently imo.

the common thread is Injustice.

I<3NBA
02-23-2015, 06:36 AM

lol at this nincompoop talking about camera shots.

clearly, you don't understand EDITING, least of all FILM. "looks like no editing" is different from "virtually no editing."

and editing isn't the type of camera shots. it's the splicing of each scene takes plus whatever vfx added.

and jump cut for ffs is bad editing.

KevinNYC
02-23-2015, 11:05 AM
lol at this nincompoop talking about camera shots.

clearly, you don't understand EDITING, least of all FILM. "looks like no editing" is different from "virtually no editing."

and editing isn't the type of camera shots. it's the splicing of each scene takes plus whatever vfx added.

and jump cut for ffs is bad editing.

I don't know what you're on about. The filming and editing of Birdman is clearly intended to look as if it's one take. So camera shots is pretty crucial to the discussion.

Also on a typical production the scene is shot from multiple angles with multiple different camera positions, so it's only in the editing where the decision if the scene plays out in a long, medium or close up gets made.

Those sorts of camera shot decision wouldn't have applied for Birdman, but they do for almost every movie.

Visual effects are part of overall post-production, but they are not editing.

More importantly, you completely misread his sentence
The cinematography is a lock, outside of smart transitioning their is virtually no editing. Completely missed the part in red. You also didn't understand when he said "virtually" no editing.

T_L_P
02-23-2015, 11:19 AM

A film without any editing ceases to be a film, tbh.

Unless a movie to you is just filmed theatre?

KevinNYC
02-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Have you seen Birdman? This concern really doesn't apply.

Also, I would say that Rope (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCU6eNU6cck), Russian Ark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE2jRxToAjQ), and Arrival of Train (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLEDdFddk) are all films. It might change the quality of film, but they are still films.

imdaman99
02-23-2015, 06:22 PM
I would happily motorboat Oprah for a milli :pimp:

CP343
02-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Just found out the Oscars didn't include Joan Rivers in the "in memoriam" segment. They did her dirty.

BoogieWoogieMan
02-23-2015, 07:57 PM
The guy who played the Bond villain Jaws was also excluded.

DeuceWallaces
02-23-2015, 08:59 PM

You should watch Rope.

I<3NBA
02-23-2015, 09:23 PM

there have been films that have been filmed entirely on one continous shot. no edits.

alenleomessi
02-23-2015, 09:24 PM
just watched whiplash, im not really into jazz or generally movies based on music but this movie was absolutely amazing