PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular NBA opinion thread

Ariza4three
02-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Been a while since we had one. Lets go.
Giannis will never be a high scoring guy. He'll peak at 15-18ppg. Will be an allstar at one point definitely.

Im Still Ballin
02-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Jimmy Butler is a prime Corey Maggette with a spoiler on the back.

MMM
02-23-2015, 11:33 AM
didn't know it was a popular opinion that Antetokounmpo was thought of as more than a 15-18 ppg guy in the league potentially. Always thought people said his peak was a around 18 ppg. Not that scoring is what makes him a potentially special player.

dannywpt
02-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Chris Paul is overrated as shit. A player like Westbrook gives your team a bigger positive impact overall. AND this doesn't just go for Westbrooks play this season, but he has been a better player since the '10-'11 season.

People can GTFO with their "Westbrook is the better player, but Paul is the better point guard". Westbrook has more positive impact for his team and plays the same position, that's why he is the better player and point guard. Chris Paul is not a better PG, you just prefer his style of play and/or dislike Westbrook

YaoArizaClutch
02-23-2015, 11:42 AM
Kobe raped that bitch

Wally450
02-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Zack Lavine's dunks were better than Carter and Richardson's.

It's very close, but I think Lavine's first dunk is the best.

$LakerGold
02-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Giannis = Odom 2.0

$LakerGold
02-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Zach Lavine stopped trying after he knew he got it locked.

Cold soul
02-23-2015, 12:19 PM
Peak T-Mac was the better player than peak Durant.

BuffaloBill
02-23-2015, 12:21 PM
Austin Rivers is coming

ImKobe
02-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Randle will be a top 3 player out of his draft class.

livingby3's
02-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Westbrook is a bigger game changer than Durant.

Ariza4three
02-23-2015, 12:39 PM
Randle will be a top 3 player out of his draft class.
what makes u say that?

Akrazotile
02-23-2015, 01:28 PM
Kobe raped that bitch

It's supposed to be unpopular opinions not well known facts.

turret
02-23-2015, 01:42 PM
warriors & hawks will disappoint in the post season
rinse ringless repeat

A twilight Lebron is better than 99% of nba; Cleveland finds its way into finals

NBA should be retracting, not expanding. AD, Boogie deserve to be on possible contenders. Casual fans should be marveling at their play on wkend national games

Jack is right. You cant handle the truth. Lakers are irrelevant and have been for some time. He's got starlets to bang.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Chris Paul is overrated as shit. A player like Westbrook gives your team a bigger positive impact overall. AND this doesn't just go for Westbrooks play this season, but he has been a better player since the '10-'11 season.

People can GTFO with their "Westbrook is the better player, but Paul is the better point guard". Westbrook has more positive impact for his team and plays the same position, that's why he is the better player and point guard. Chris Paul is not a better PG, you just prefer his style of play and/or dislike Westbrook

What is there to not understand about Chris Paul being a better traditional PG than Westbrook? It's not even an argument. Chris Paul is quite clearly a better PG. He does what a PG is supposed to do much better than Westbrook.

IMObjective
02-23-2015, 02:03 PM
Giannis = Odom 2.0
That wouldn't be a bad thing imo. Odom had the potential to be great, maybe without his myriad of personal problems and tragedies and with a more Kobe like work ethic

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 02:03 PM
What is there to not understand about Chris Paul being a better traditional PG than Westbrook? It's not even an argument. Chris Paul is quite clearly a better PG. He does what a PG is supposed to do much better than Westbrook.
So would you rather have the better player or the better 'traditional' PG?

And have you seen that new-look Westbrook? 17 assists yesterday because he's finally playing with a good center. Can you imagine Westbrook with Griffin/Jordan?

And Rondo is a better traditional PG than Paul. Does that make him a better PG than Paul?

DukeDelonte13
02-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Phil Jackson will do nothing to better the NY knicks. He will make millions off of them and then leave.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 02:05 PM

And have you seen that new-look Westbrook? 17 assists yesterday because he's finally playing with a good center. Can you imagine Westbrook with Griffin/Jordan?

And Rondo is a better traditional PG than Paul. Does that make him a better PG than Paul?

Westbrook is a better player right now. I would not suggest otherwise.

Rondo is in no way a better tradtional PG than Chris Paul. Hell are you talking about? :biggums:

IMObjective
02-23-2015, 02:06 PM

And Rondo is a better traditional PG than Paul. Does that make him a better PG than Paul?oh yeah, put Russell on the clippers and that team would likely be a top 1 or 2 seed. Man, that team would be awesome to watch.

SwayDizzle
02-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Russel Westbrook is better than Durant

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Westbrook is a better player right now. I would not suggest otherwise.

Rondo is in no way a better tradtional PG than Chris Paul. Hell are you talking about? :biggums:
Isn't a traditional PG supposed to get everyone else involved before himself? Rondo has been doing that the best for years.

What separates Paul is his ability to score. But apparently scoring as a PG is a detriment and isn't what a 'traditional' PG is supposed to do.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Isn't a traditional PG supposed to get everyone else involved before himself? Rondo has been doing that the best for years.

What separates Paul is his ability to score. But apparently scoring as a PG is a detriment and isn't what a 'traditional' PG is supposed to do.
PGs should be able to hit freethrows at a rate better than the average bigman

Paul's a/t ratio is the best of his generation.

Rondo also fell right the fvck off. It's not 2013.

IMObjective
02-23-2015, 02:15 PM
It's supposed to be unpopular opinions not well known facts.
Anyone who examines the evidence should know that Kobe did not rape that girl, but rather it was a case of your run of the mill tramp looking for a big, easy paycheck.

Now if you start talking nice about Kobe, I'll ask him to help you find a gig out here. Deal?

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 02:18 PM

Would you rather have Westbrook playing PG for your team or Paul?

Who gives a shit about tradition is basically what people are trying to say. If a guy can score at an elite level AND get his teammates involved than he's probably the better PG.

The two best PG's in the game are Westbrook and Curry. Both don't play the position how it was historically played. But it doesn't mean they're not better PG's because of it, because they obviously are

Cold soul
02-23-2015, 02:20 PM
Russel Westbrook is better than Durant

Everyone knows that now no surprise here.

dannywpt
02-23-2015, 02:21 PM

You cannot call Paul a better <insert whatever> point guard. You say that he is better at traditional point guard skills, more skilled at the point guard position, better at things you value or whatever.

But as I said in my first post, GTFO with any "Paul is a better point guard" or any variation of this claim.

Westbrook is a better point guard than Paul.

senelcoolidge
02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Lebron is really a beta behind the act he puts up.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 02:24 PM
You cannot call Paul a better <insert whatever> point guard. You say that he is better at traditional point guard skills, more skilled at the point guard position, better at things you value or whatever.

But as I said in my first post, GTFO with any "Paul is a better point guard" or any variation of this claim.

Westbrook is a better point guard than Paul.

What is the difference between saying a better "traditional PG" and "better at traditional PG skills"? They effectively mean the exact same thing. Are you tired of the semantics? :oldlol:

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Everyone knows that now no surprise here.
Durant's the best and most impactful player when healthy. Westbrook is in no way, shape, or form a better player.

There's a reason Westbrook has been deferring to Durant in the 4th for YEARS..

Durant is the much better shooter and scorer, and closer. They are co-leaders but Durant on his own would win a lot more games than Westbrook on his own.

Durant was 23-11 without Westbrook and put up historical numbers, and that's without the new additions they've made to the team this year. That's with Perkins and Thabo Sefolosha in the starting lineup.

People who think Westbrook is the better player don't know basketball, or just don't pay attention to it.

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 02:30 PM
What is the difference between saying a better "traditional PG" and "better at traditional PG skills"? They effectively mean the exact same thing. Are you tired of the semantics? :oldlol:
Read his post again. He was calling out people for saying Paul is the better PG.

He was saying that Westbrook is the better PG regardless of how the position was historically played. Paul being better at traditional PG skills doesn't make him the better PG which is what I thought you were arguing to begin with.

Yes, Chris is better at traditional PG skills like ball handling and passing. But Westbrook is the better PG.

People get it confused and say Paul is the better point guard. I'd much rather have a guy who can score at an elite level and push the pace like Westbrook does, as long as he's capable of getting the teammates involved, which Westbrook also does a great job at.

ShawkFactory
02-23-2015, 03:18 PM
Durant's the best and most impactful player when healthy. Westbrook is in no way, shape, or form a better player.

There's a reason Westbrook has been deferring to Durant in the 4th for YEARS..

Durant is the much better shooter and scorer, and closer. They are co-leaders but Durant on his own would win a lot more games than Westbrook on his own.

Durant was 23-11 without Westbrook and put up historical numbers, and that's without the new additions they've made to the team this year. That's with Perkins and Thabo Sefolosha in the starting lineup.

People who think Westbrook is the better player don't know basketball, or just don't pay attention to it.
Only the first of those two things is true. Westbrook was the most impactful players against the best of the best in the playoffs last year. Westbrook plays better against great teams Durant doesn't at all.

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 03:24 PM
Only the first of those two things is true. Westbrook was the most impactful players against the best of the best in the playoffs last year. Westbrook plays better against great teams Durant doesn't at all.
Actually, it was pretty close between the two last year. Obviously Durant was the main focus of defenses last year. Durant showed up huge to close out the Memphis and LAC series'

But every year previous Durant was clearly the best player in every series they've played. Against Dallas in 2012, Lakers in 2012, Spurs in 2012, and Heat in 2012, he was clearly the best player.

Those aren't the best of the best? What about in 2011 when he was clearly the best in every series? Murdered the Nuggets and was responsible for a historic comeback in game 5 to close them out. Scored 41, and had a monster 4th Q. Against Memphis he had a closeout game of 40 points in game 7. And the next series he averaged 30 against the Mavs but his team lost in 5.

You just started watching the NBA last year so I give you a break. But Durant is easily the better player and always has been.

Badazzwriter
02-23-2015, 03:26 PM
lebron is a top 10 player of all time

ShawkFactory
02-23-2015, 03:31 PM
Actually, it was pretty close between the two last year. Obviously Durant was the main focus of defenses last year. Durant showed up huge to close out the Memphis and LAC series'

But every year previous Durant was clearly the best player in every series they've played. Against Dallas in 2012, Lakers in 2012, Spurs in 2012, and Heat in 2012, he was clearly the best player.

Those aren't the best of the best? What about in 2011 when he was clearly the best in every series? Murdered the Nuggets and was responsible for a historic comeback in game 5 to close them out. Scored 41, and had a monster 4th Q. Against Memphis he had a closeout game of 40 points in game 7. And the next series he averaged 30 against the Mavs but his team lost in 5.

You just started watching the NBA last year so I give you a break. But Durant is easily the better player and always has been.
It isn't possible for another player to, you know, improve....?

Nobody talked about Westbrook as a top 3 player in the game in 2011 and 2012, so you bringing that up is a waste of both of our time.

And, by saying only the first one of your claims is true (when you stated Durant is the best), I almost blatantly agreed that Durant was the better player. Impact is what I was arguing.

Try to read more carefully next time before you attack me and spew a bunch of BS that isn't relevant.

Young X
02-23-2015, 03:33 PM
CP3 is one of the best PG's to ever play, if he ever wins a ring, he's top 5 all time for PG's easily.

el gringos
02-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Okafor will not go #1. Because he won't be a top 5 player from this draft class down the road. High floor, but not a super high ceiling. Wcs will be a better pro. Russell is the best player in the draft class.

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 03:36 PM
It isn't possible for another player to, you know, improve....?

Nobody talked about Westbrook as a top 3 player in the game in 2011 and 2012, so you bringing that up is a waste of both of our time.

And, by saying only the first one of your claims is true (when you stated Durant is the best), I almost blatantly agreed that Durant was the better player. Impact is what I was arguing.

Try to read more carefully next time before you attack me and spew a bunch of BS that isn't relevant.
No, I can tell you just don't pay attention to basketball and have a clear agenda.

You said Westbrook plays better against the best teams and Durant doesn't at all. Completely false.

Best player and most impactful are the same thing. Durant has a bigger impact than Westbrook, he always has. It hasn't changed. Durant's been hurt all year long, so what are you even basing it off of? Westbrook has improved since 2012 and so has Durant. Durant last year when healthy put up one of the greatest regular seasons ever without Westbrook. And no, Westbrook was not clearly better than Durant in any series last year in the playoffs. That's a myth.

ShawkFactory
02-23-2015, 03:43 PM
No, I can tell you just don't pay attention to basketball and have a clear agenda.

You said Westbrook plays better against the best teams and Durant doesn't at all. Completely false.

Best player and most impactful are the same thing. Durant has a bigger impact than Westbrook, he always has. It hasn't changed. Durant's been hurt all year long, so what are you even basing it off of? Westbrook has improved since 2012 and so has Durant. Durant last year when healthy put up one of the greatest regular seasons ever without Westbrook. And no, Westbrook was not clearly better than Durant in any series last year in the playoffs. That's a myth.
Lol what agenda?

Since Westbrook came back last year he has been a completely different player.

Since impact and "best" are the same thing, why would you mention both? Seems like a waste of words to me, yea? Durant is the more talented and "better" player. Westbrook's energy and overall play was more impactful for OKC than Durant was in the playoffs last year. Not to say Durant was bad at all, but it is what it is. Sorry if that offends you and you need to resort to assuming I have an agenda. Whatever makes you comfortable I guess.

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Lol what agenda?

Since Westbrook came back last year he has been a completely different player.

Since impact and "best" are the same thing, why would you mention both? Seems like a waste of words to me, yea? Durant is the more talented and "better" player. Westbrook's energy and overall play was more impactful for OKC than Durant was in the playoffs last year. Not to say Durant was bad at all, but it is what it is. Sorry if that offends you and you need to resort to assuming I have an agenda. Whatever makes you comfortable I guess.
Westbrook and Durant had almost identical advanced stats.

And don't you think the guy who is getting the most defensive attention has a great impact on the game? You think Westbrook would have been able to do what he did if Durant wasn't on the court?

Like I said, it was close between the two. The eye test and the advanced stats tell me that.

But that doesn't mean it was normal or to be expected again. Durant was clearly fatigued from carrying his team in the regular season. Hell, the fracture in his foot was caused because of too much exertion for too long.

And I'm a huge Westbrook stan... so I'm not offended at all when someone says he's better. It's just not even remotely true.

Genaro
02-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Harden isn't a top 5 player and his game is the worst to watch among superstars.

navy
02-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Harden isn't a top 5 player and his game is the worst to watch among superstars.
Name five players better than Harden.

Most of these post are regular popular opinions by the way. I swear every time I see this thread people just take shots (the same ones that they have always taken at players) they dont like pretending like it hasnt already been said a million times.

sammichoffate
02-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Malice in the Palace needs to happen again

ShawkFactory
02-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Westbrook and Durant had almost identical advanced stats.

And don't you think the guy who is getting the most defensive attention has a great impact on the game? You think Westbrook would have been able to do what he did if Durant wasn't on the court?

Like I said, it was close between the two. The eye test and the advanced stats tell me that.

But that doesn't mean it was normal or to be expected again. Durant was clearly fatigued from carrying his team in the regular season. Hell, the fracture in his foot was caused because of too much exertion for too long.

And I'm a huge Westbrook stan... so I'm not offended at all when someone says he's better. It's just not even remotely true.
Again, I never called Westbrook better. Just that his leadership, energy, and decimation of the other top PGs in the west was immeasurably impactful.

To me that seems like the new flow with them, especially how Westbrook has played this year. He has too many off games to be considered the better player than Durant but when he's clicking, OKC is unstoppable.

ShawkFactory
02-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Name five players better than Harden.

Most of these post are regular popular opinions by the way. I swear every time I see this thread people just take shots (the same ones that they have always taken at players) they dont like pretending like it hasnt already been said a million times.
Bron, KD, Westbrook, AD, Steph.

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Again, I never called Westbrook better. Just that his leadership, energy, and decimation of the other top PGs in the west was immeasurably impactful.

To me that seems like the new flow with them, especially how Westbrook has played this year. He has too many off games to be considered the better player than Durant but when he's clicking, OKC is unstoppable.

Westbrook is probably the best leader in all of basketball, which is kinda crazy to his haters to even comprehend.

I look at him as the vocal leader, and the guy who holds everyone else accountable. Durant is the leader by example and by far the most talented player. He'll always be the closer for this team. To be, being able to score in a close game and close it out is the most important ability a star can have. Westbrook lacks that because he's not a good shooter nor a very good finisher, which is why he fails so much late in the game. He's awesome when he's rebounding, facilitating, leading, and his shot is falling. Completely agree, OKC is pretty much unstoppable when he's clicking like that. But sometimes he gets too much confidence late in games and freezes out Durant, which is a coaching issue more than anything.

KyrieTheFuture
02-23-2015, 04:05 PM
Malice in the Palace needs to happen again
Sweet jesus yes.

navy
02-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Bron, KD, Westbrook, AD, Steph.
Fair enough. Although, it would be disingenuous to say Harden hasnt played at or even above the level of those players this season.

Marchesk
02-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Sweet jesus yes.

Maybe it should happen in the Garden this time. Lord knows Knicks fans have nothing else to look forward to until the draft.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Maybe it should happen in the Garden this time. Lord knows Knicks fans have nothing else to look forward to until the draft.
someone should mercilessly beat Spike
l

YouGotServed
Contrary to popular belief I believe Houston is not a lock to win it all. In fact I see teams like the Warriors or Grizzlies beating them in a 7 game series.

However with that said I still think they're conference finals bound if they play the right team(s).

ShawkFactory
Fair enough. Although, it would be disingenuous to say Harden hasnt played at or even above the level of those players this season.
If he won MVP right now he would have deserved it. But he's still not a top 5 player.

Marchesk
02-23-2015, 04:19 PM
The league should contract to 20 teams with Seattle being one of them. The season should be shortened to 60 games with no back to backs. The court should be widened and the 3 pt line moved back. There should be no divisions. If a 9th seeded team in one conference has a better record than the 8th seed in the other, then they get sent to that conference's playoffs instead.

One other thing. Some needs to clone Wilt and have him implanted stat to be ready for the 2034 draft.

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Contrary to popular belief I believe Houston is not a lock to win it all. In fact I see teams like the Warriors or Grizzlies beating them in a 7 game series.

However with that said I still think they're conference finals bound if they play the right team(s).
Popular belief is that Houston will be a first round exit for the third straight year.

sammichoffate
02-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Maybe it should happen in the Garden this time. Lord knows Knicks fans have nothing else to look forward to until the draft.They have enough things to worry about, I wouldn't want that to happen to them :lol

sammichoffate
02-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Popular belief is that Houston will be a first round exit for the third straight year.:lebronamazed:

YouGotServed
02-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Popular belief is that Houston will be a first round exit for the third straight year.

Didn't read.

Rent free.

Keep the replies coming.

I'm the greatest of all time.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Didn't read.

Rent free.

Keep the replies coming.

:roll:

Eat Like A Bosh
02-23-2015, 04:56 PM

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nba/stats/player-assists-to-turnover-ratio/2014/

A/T ratios are good indicators of how well they're running the point.

I firmly believe that if Westbrook and CP3 swapped teams even today, OKC gets better, the Clippers get worst. Providing that Durant is healthy. Chris Paul is a better complement alongside Durant.

ThickassGlasses
02-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Joel Embiid will be the best "rookie" next year

Dirk is the second best PF of all time

Kyrie Irving is extremely overrated

TheMarkMadsen
02-23-2015, 05:16 PM
Dirk has become incredibly overrated ever since Lebron's choke

KG is incredibly underrated

Embers
02-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Rudy Gay is the 3rd best SF in the game.

Ahead of Melo

iTare
02-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Didn't read.

Rent free.

Keep the replies coming.

Lmao big homie ygs at it again

CP343
02-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Rudy Gay is the 3rd best SF in the game.

Ahead of Melo

That is a pretty unpopular opinion.

no pun intended
02-23-2015, 08:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbjFBMKcNY4

remember this? lmao

no pun intended
02-23-2015, 08:10 PM
OKC will be the 2015 NBA Champions.

Bay Area Baller
02-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Parker is a prick for cheating on his wife, Eva he deserves the separation. And that is why he is playing like crap.

W's will beat the spurs like a red headed step child in the playoffs for the abuse they have caused us, making our teams look scrubalicious. :(

RoundMoundOfReb
02-23-2015, 08:17 PM
60s = weak era

TaLvsCuaL
02-23-2015, 08:27 PM
The star system ruins the NBA. The hype is fine and is needed, but seeing those retards trying to be alpha, playing hero ball, the phantoms calls, etc. Make me sick.

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 08:30 PM
The star system ruins the NBA. The hype is fine and is needed, but seeing those retards trying to be alpha, playing hero ball, the phantoms calls, etc. Make me sick.
Especially when they beat your team in the playoffs. :lol

KirbyPls
02-23-2015, 08:30 PM

:applause: Completely agree. Can't stand me-first stars like Marc and Z-Bo. It would be kinda cool to see what the Grizz would be like if they weren't led by selfish chuckers.

KirbyPls
02-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Especially when they beat your team in the playoffs. :lol

Finally! The credit Reggie deserved all along! Props Buda! :applause:

King Jane
02-23-2015, 08:31 PM
kobe is guilty

mj murdered his dad cause gambling

BuffaloBill
02-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Half of the Celtics championships don't count

Marchesk
02-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Old film makes the 60s look like a weak era.

Sportal
02-23-2015, 09:36 PM
I don't know if it's "unpopular" per se...

But for the NBA to become a bigger global brand in the future, it will have to resort back to hero ball and Superstar players scoring 50s and 60s.

Kids aren't going to say [3point specialist name] FOR THE WIN!!

navy
02-23-2015, 09:41 PM
Old film makes the 60s look like a weak era.
Might just be the era.

Popular opinion.