PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Drexler - 38 points & 12 rebounds vs Bulls (1992 season)

mehyaM24
02-23-2015, 03:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HcdwBCOSG8

what a great performance. drexler closed the matchup with several daggers down the stretch, finishing the head to head with jordan shooting an overall 56% (jordan finished with 40 points but shot just 41%) - unfortunately the bulls win by 2.

^^ kind of makes you think about the subsequent finals, and how clyde would have performed had he not played with an injury. the bulls probably still win, but that just shows you how awesome they were. drexler outperforms jordan, holding him to 41% shooting and the blazers still lose (scottie finished with 28/11/8, btw - typical numbers from an all-around superstar).

Da_Realist
02-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Love this game. It was the TNT late game on a Friday night. I had an away game that night (high school) and recorded it while I was gone. Winning in Portland was BIG back then. Double overtime classic. Check out that shot MJ hits to send it to double overtime :applause:

This was supposed to be one of my permanent games (I tore off the tab on the video tape so no one could record over it) but Dad put tape over the hole and recorded some mumbo jumbo right on top of it. I didn't see this game again until I bought it a couple of years ago.

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 04:18 PM
:applause:

Drexler is an underrated superstar from that era. It is a shame his superstar days ended abruptly due to that 92' injury--but he remained a legitimate all-star for several more years. The 92' Blazers are a cautionary tale. On paper their window should have been open for several more years. Drexler was 29, Porter 28, Robinson 25, Williams 31, Duckworth 27 and Kersey 29. Yet they were nothing more than first round fodder after 92'. Drexler's decline was a major reason for that.

mehyaM24
02-23-2015, 04:32 PM
@darealist - back in college, i had tapes from the nba on nbc that my mom recorded over. feel your pain man. :oldlol:

:applause:

Drexler is an underrated superstar from that era. It is a shame his superstar days ended abruptly due to that 92' injury--but he remained a legitimate all-star for several more years. The 92' Blazers are a cautionary tale. On paper their window should have been open for several more years. Drexler was 29, Porter 28, Robinson 25, Williams 31, Duckworth 27 and Kersey 29. Yet they were nothing more than first round fodder after 92'. Drexler's decline was a major reason for that.

no doubt - and for all the talk the drexler/jordan matchup got (despite clyde not being 100%), pippen actually had a great series, including a sick closeout game 6 which propelled the bulls to their second straight tittle (bulls down by double digits in the 4th, pippen leads the bench on a huge comeback).

juju151111
02-23-2015, 04:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HcdwBCOSG8

what a great performance. drexler closed the matchup with several daggers down the stretch, finishing the head to head with jordan shooting an overall 56% (jordan finished with 40 points but shot just 41%) - unfortunately the bulls win by 2.

^^ kind of makes you think about the subsequent finals, and how clyde would have performed had he not played with an injury. the bulls probably still win, but that just shows you how awesome they were. drexler outperforms jordan, holding him to 41% shooting and the blazers still lose (scottie finished with 28/11/8, btw - typical numbers from an all-around superstar).
Great game and this is why going into the 92 finals the media was on the drexler train. MJ destroyed drexler in that series and and had a memorable game one for the ages. 35 ppg and 7 asts. Held Drexler to a poor 41%.

Da_Realist
02-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Drexler didn't get seriously injured until March 1993.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-03-01/sports/sp-77_1_trail-blazers

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/01/sports/pro-basketball-drexler-is-injured-in-loss.html

NBA ROUNDUP : Drexler Injured in Trail Blazers' Defeat
March 01, 1993|From Associated Press

The Portland Trail Blazers' 122-110 defeat by the Boston Celtics Sunday at Boston might not have been their biggest loss of the night.

Clyde Drexler, a seven-time All-Star, was carried off the court in the fourth quarter with a sprained left hamstring and did not return.

Drexler, who scored 22 points, was fouled by Boston's Reggie Lewis as he attempted to drive to the basket on the first possession of the fourth quarter. Drexler hopped to half court in pain, finally stopping to lean against the press table.

"I pulled a hamstring," Drexler said. "I don't know what happened."

Portland Coach Rick Adelman said the injury appeared to happen when Drexler tried to plant his foot.

"I saw him grimace when he tried to stop and then he seemed to be in a lot of pain as he walked away," Adelman said. "So right now it appears to be pretty serious, but we'll need 24 hours to see exactly what happened."

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 05:14 PM
no doubt - and for all the talk the drexler/jordan matchup got (despite clyde not being 100%), pippen actually had a great series, including a sick closeout game 6 which propelled the bulls to their second straight tittle (bulls down by double digits in the 4th, pippen leads the bench on a huge comeback).

Yeah, he averaged 21/8/8 for the series. :bowdown:

Great game and this is why going into the 92 finals the media was on the drexler train. MJ destroyed drexler in that series and and had a memorable game one for the ages. 35 ppg and 7 asts.

I think he had 35 points in the first half of the first game alone. :bowdown:

He was a reduced figure by the start of 93', though. He averaged 20/7/6 on 42% prior to the all-star break. This was a sharp decline from 25/7/7 on 47% as the runner-up MVP.

mehyaM24
02-23-2015, 05:15 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/01/sports/pro-basketball-drexler-is-injured-in-loss.html
not quite. drexler hurt his knee ~ march of the 1992 season (it "bothered" him the rest of the year), and acquired surgery in the offseason.

Portland Trail Blazer guard Clyde Drexler underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Thursday with an early prognosis saying he should be playing basketball in three to six weeks.

Drexler injured the knee in a game against New York on March 29. He was bothered by soreness throughout the remainder of the season, the playoffs and his play with the U.S. Olympic team in Barcelona.
http://articles.latimes.com/1992-09-18/sports/sp-722_1_basketball

^^ i'm a firm believer that if you play, all is fair.. but it still was an injury that obviously hindered his play.

L.Kizzle
02-23-2015, 05:19 PM

I read in a book he got hurt right before the 92 playoffs

juju151111
02-23-2015, 05:21 PM
Yeah, he averaged 21/8/8 for the series. :bowdown:

I think he had 35 points in the first half of the first game alone. :bowdown:

He was a reduced figure by the start of 93', though. He averaged 20/7/6 on 42% prior to the all-star break. This was a sharp decline from 25/7/7 on 47% as the runner-up MVP.
Wrecker was not seriously injured in 92. In fact Wrecker went on to play on the dream team, which he probably should of use that time to relax. Wrecker looked fine that summer. His injuries popped up after that in that season. He got injured in January of 93 and March.

mehyaM24
02-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Wrecker was not seriously injured in 92. In fact Wrecker went on to play on the dream team, which he probably should of use that time to relax. Wrecker looked fine that summer. His injuries popped up after that in that season. He got injured in January of 93 and March.
:facepalm

he had knee surgery in the off season of 92, and was hurt in march of THAT season. read above.

Da_Realist
02-23-2015, 05:26 PM
^^ i'm a firm believer that if you play, all is fair.. but it still was an injury that obviously hindered his play.

That is fair. So how do you rank MJ's 98 season playing with a cracked knuckle carrying the team without Pippen for most of the season?

Or coming back from a broken leg just before the 86 playoffs and almost getting a win at Boston Garden?

Or injuring his ankle in Game 5 of the 92 Finals and still dropping 46 in a pivotal Game 5 in Portland? Hurt toe in Game 3 of the 91 Finals yet still hit the game tying shot to send it to overtime. Do his "injuries" elevate these moments?

Hurt his wrist just before the 93 ECF vs NYK. Does he get a pass for his horrible efficiency for most of that series?

I just know the "Flu Game" is one of your most heroic games.

juju151111
02-23-2015, 05:28 PM
not quite. drexler hurt his knee ~ march of the 1992 season (it "bothered" him the rest of the year), and acquired surgery in the offseason.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-09-18/sports/sp-722_1_basketball

It wasn't that serious or he would never of played in the Olympics. He avg 25 ppg on 49% and then dipped has soon has he faced Mj and the bulls. Mj was playing with a bum ankle in 91. ****ed up wrist in 93 and a crack knuckle and knee problems in 98. Clyde got that work in the finals.

juju151111
02-23-2015, 05:30 PM
:facepalm

he had knee surgery in the off season of 92, and was hurt in march of THAT season. read above.
He wasn't seriously hurt or he wouldn't of played on the Olympics. He was doing fine before that and soon has he faced Mj he got shut down.

juju151111
02-23-2015, 05:32 PM
That is fair. So how do you rank MJ's 98 season playing with a cracked knuckle carrying the team without Pippen for most of the season?

Or coming back from a broken leg just before the 86 playoffs and almost getting a win at Boston Garden?

Or injuring his ankle in Game 5 of the 92 Finals and still dropping 46 in a pivotal Game 5 in Portland? Hurt toe in Game 3 of the 91 Finals yet still hit the game tying shot to send it to overtime. Do his "injuries" elevate these moments?

Hurt his wrist just before the 93 ECF vs NYK. Does he get a pass for his horrible efficiency for most of that series?

I just know the "Flu Game" is one of your most heroic games.
Exactly Clyde was playing great before the finals, but somehow in the finals lets bring up the knee issue:lol

Smoke117
02-23-2015, 05:36 PM
Exactly Clyde was playing great before the finals, but somehow in the finals lets bring up the knee issue:lol

This. Stop making excuses for Drexler. He was never as good as he was heralded to be.

Da_Realist
02-23-2015, 05:40 PM
The other issue...

Both MJ and Pippen defended Drexler that series. Basketball is rarely played where one perimeter player defends another perimeter player the whole time they are on the court. Especially someone as good as Drexer and even more-so someone like MJ. This is one of the reasons they were so effective as a duo, especially defensively.

All this mano-a-mano stuff is streetball, not a winning NBA defensive strategy.

mehyaM24
02-23-2015, 05:43 PM
He wasn't seriously hurt or he wouldn't of played on the Olympics. He was doing fine before that and soon has he faced Mj he got shut down.
according to drexler, it bothered his play. i think i'll take the word of his over some jordan fans that apparently think for him. :oldlol:

juju151111
02-23-2015, 05:47 PM
according to drexler, it bothered his play. i think i'll take the word of his over some jordan fans that apparently think for him. :oldlol:
When did he say it bothered his play during the finals.

mehyaM24
02-23-2015, 05:49 PM
When did he say it bothered his play during the finals.
when he said it bothered him the rest of the season, playoffs and olympics. maybe you should actually read the article? :confusedshrug:

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 05:49 PM
The other issue...

Both MJ and Pippen defended Drexler that series. Basketball is rarely played where one perimeter player defends another perimeter player the whole time they are on the court. Especially someone as good as Drexer and even more-so someone like MJ. This is one of the reasons they were so effective as a duo, especially defensively.

All this mano-a-mano stuff is streetball, not a winning NBA defensive strategy.

Good points.

This. Stop making excuses for Drexler. He was never as good as he was heralded to be.

True--and I think it does Drexler an injustice. Similar to Robinson, both are defined to a great degree by their battle with their chief counterpart at their position on a major stage. Robinson was not on Hakeem's level and Drexler was not on Jordan's. MJ and Hakeem amply demonstrated that. It is a shame, though, those players are diminished so much by that. They were veritable superstars and the second or third best players at their positions of their eras (I put Shaq over Robinson--Robinson began playing only a couple years before Shaq).

Drexler, like Robinson, is hurt by the media narrative that set up those series as duels. They are not the only players to get outplayed by a superstar counterpart, though. Ewing vs. Hakeem played far worse than Robinson or Drexler did in their superstar duels but it is not held against him to nearly the same degree as it is against Robinson and Drexler. Durant was outplayed by LeBron in the Finals in a similar scenario to Jordan vs. Drexler.

Had Drexler been healthy he would have played better and the damage to his legacy would have been mitigated--but clearly he would have been outplayed under any scenario.

Drexler also is hurt by the obsession with the fictional labels of "the man" and "sidekick." He is more defined by losing the Finals as "the man" in 92' than by playing a crucial role in Houston winning in 95' as a "sidekick"--when he put up "first option" numbers.

mehyaM24
02-23-2015, 05:55 PM

i think jordan's 98 season was pretty unreal given his age. whether a cracked knuckle is of the same pain/hindrance as a knee that requires surgery, that i cant say.

i just finished saying that all is fair when you play, but i think a ligament or injury that requires any sort of surgery (arthroscopic in drexer's case) is seriously debilitating.

juju151111
02-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Good points.

True--and I think it does Drexler an injustice. Similar to Robinson, both are defined to a great degree by their battle with their chief counterpart at their position on a major stage. Robinson was not on Hakeem's level and Drexler was not on Jordan's. MJ and Hakeem amply demonstrated that. It is a shame, though, those players are diminished so much by that. They were veritable superstars and the second or third best players at their positions of their eras (I put Shaq over Robinson--Robinson began playing only a couple years before Shaq).

Drexler, like Robinson, is hurt by the media narrative that set up those series as duels. They are not the only players to get outplayed by a superstar counterpart, though. Ewing vs. Hakeem played far worse than Robinson or Drexler did in their superstar duels but it is not held against him to nearly the same degree as it is against Robinson and Drexler. Durant was outplayed by LeBron in the Finals in a similar scenario to Jordan vs. Drexler.

Had Drexler been healthy he would have played better and the damage to his legacy would have been mitigated--but clearly he would have been outplayed under any scenario.

Drexler also is hurt by the obsession with the fictional labels of "the man" and "sidekick." He is more defined by losing the Finals as "the man" in 92' than by playing a crucial role in Houston winning in 95' as a "sidekick"--when he put up "first option" numbers.
Durant did not get outplayed in a similar way to Drexler. Durant was putting in work even though they ept him off the court in important games because of foul trouble. Durant avgerged like 30 on 55% I think.

Da_Realist
02-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Good points.

I don't think Drexler was hurt at all by getting outplayed by MJ. If you had a brain, you expected it. Drexler is remembered for being what he was. I don't think he was under- or over-rated. Drexler is not in the MJ/Bird/Magic class because he didn't capitalize on his opportunities to lead the Blazers to a championship.

In 90, they went home with a chance to close out the Pistons with 3 straight home games and couldn't win even one of them. (The Pistons franchise hadn't won there since Dec 1974, which means the Bad Boys had never won in Portland).

In 91, their best season and considered their best team, they cough up a lung to Magic's Lakers in 6 games. Never winning a game in LA. Had Drexler led them past the mighty Lakers, his status would have skyrocketed.

In 92, after all the talk that Portland would have beaten Chicago the year before, they lost both games in the regular season (one was a double OT classic posted in the OP) and then lose in six in the Finals.

Had he won one of those series, his status would have been elevated. His Blazers never even led any of those series. He played the Pistons but Isiah wins the MVP. He played the Lakers but Magic was the better leader. He played the Bulls but MJ was considered the best. He had his chances.

He then goes to Houston, plays great and wins a title but it's clear that Hakeem was the man and deservedly so. Drexler was a very good player and that's how he is remembered. He's not getting shafted.

mehyaM24
02-23-2015, 06:27 PM

i think jordan's 98 season was pretty unreal given his age. whether a cracked knuckle is of the same pain/hindrance as a knee that requires surgery, that i cant say.

i'll repeat it again though.. all is fair when you can lace'em up. i just think a ligament or injury that requires some sort of surgery (arthroscopic in his case) could be debilitating - and according to drexler, playing through it was.

Da_Realist
02-23-2015, 06:40 PM

i'll repeat it again though.. all is fair when you can lace'em up. i just think a ligament or injury that requires some sort of surgery (arthroscopic in his case) could be debilitating - and according to drexler, playing through it was.

According to NBA standards, it was minor. Everyone plays with bumps and bruises. He played in the Olympics that summer and wanted desperately to do so. He was pissed to be selected as the last NBA player so his "injury" wasn't something to cry about. If we talked about everybody's bumps and bruises we wouldn't need to talk about basketball at all because it would be too boring. Everyone plays through injury at some point. He played 40 minutes a game during the 92 Finals so there's no need to whine about it more than 20 years later.

sportjames23
02-23-2015, 07:42 PM
So OP is going with the "Clyde was injured" excuse? :coleman:

L.Kizzle
02-23-2015, 07:43 PM
Clyde wasn't %100, he said he was about %80. I wish I could find the book it was in.

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 07:45 PM
Clyde wasn't %100, he said he was about %80. I wish I could find the book it was in.

It might have been in the Dream Team book.

SamuraiSWISH
02-23-2015, 07:47 PM

You do realize the Roundball_Rock, mehyaM24 agenda right?

Asukal
02-23-2015, 08:23 PM

These guys just plain hate MJ. Every thread they make is agenda driven while trying to pass it off as some kind of intelligent basketball discussion.

MJ is the GOAT, deal with it. :oldlol:

Da_Realist
02-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Of course, I do. They got a serious hard-on for MJ. It's ironic that they call everyone else MJ stans. But if they get their rocks off trying to change some media narrative they seem to be obsessed with, let them. One is a Lebron fan and the other is a Pippen fan that has grown to hate MJ. Both pissed as hell about something. Let them try to get it off their chest. :pimp:

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 08:29 PM
Of course, I do. They got a serious hard-on for MJ. It's ironic that they call everyone else MJ stans. But if they get their rocks off trying to change some media narrative they seem to be obsessed with, let them. One is a Lebron fan and the other is a Pippen fan that has grown to hate MJ. Both pissed as hell about something. Let them try to get it off their chest. :pimp:

:cheers:

mehyaM24
02-23-2015, 08:49 PM
i have no agenda other than posting a clyde drexler highlight against the "best team" of that decade. his health was also brought up in another thread so i figured i would post a game of his when he was a 100% - it shouldn't surprise anyone that he was capable of having monstrous individual performances like in the OP.

i've also educated/corrected a number of posters in here who previously thought drexler's injury occured in 1993, when in fact, it was during the 1992 season (which affected his playoff and olympic play).

Asukal
02-23-2015, 08:58 PM
i have no agenda other than posting a clyde drexler highlight against the "best team" of that decade. his health was also brought up in another thread so i figured i would post a game of his when he was a 100% - it shouldn't surprise anyone that he was capable of having monstrous individual performances like in the OP.

i've also educated/corrected a number of posters in here who previously thought drexler's injury occured in 1993, when in fact, it was during the 1992 season (which affected his playoff and olympic play).

:rolleyes:

Of course drexler can have a monster game, he was one of the best players in that era duhhhhhh. Your agenda is had he been 100% he would have schooled MJ in the finals. Yeah right, like that would ever happen in the biggest stage against MJ. Remember the shrug game? That ended all talks of clyde vs mike. :oldlol:

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 09:00 PM
:oldlol: MJ averaged something like 36/5/7 in the Finals. There was no way Drexler was approaching that level of production let alone exceeding it.

It never ceases to amaze me how paranoid MJ fans are. The MJ empire will not start to totter because of what is posted on a website comprise of a few thousand hardcore basketball fans.

Besides, the people who have done the most damage to MJ on ISH are Jordan fans themselves. :D

juju151111
02-23-2015, 09:05 PM
:oldlol: MJ averaged something like 36/5/7 in the Finals. There was no way Drexler was approaching that level of production let alone exceeding it.

It never ceases to amaze me how paranoid MJ fans are. The MJ empire will not start to totter because of what is posted on a website comprise of a few thousand hardcore basketball fans.

Besides, the people who have done the most damage to MJ on ISH are Jordan fans themselves. :D
Mj doesn't need any help really. Whatever you say won't change 6 Fmvp and 5mvp. You guys can scream till your lungs out, those things still won't change.

Asukal
02-23-2015, 09:11 PM

Keep on hating. :applause:

Smoke117
02-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Good points.

David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon are absolutely on the same level. This is a stupid analogy since Drexler is not close to Jordan.

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 09:20 PM
David Robinson and Hakeem Olajuwon are absolutely on the same level. This is a stupid analogy since Drexler is not close to Jordan.

The analogy is perfectly valid: contemporaries who were the best and second best players at their position--but one was a cut above the other and the superior player dominated the other in a key playoff series. Robinson was closer to Hakeem than Drexler was to Jordan but Robinson ultimately was not, despite what many thought at the time, equal to Hakeem.

Smoke117
02-23-2015, 09:21 PM
The analogy is perfectly valid: contemporaries who were the best and second best players at their position--but one was a cut above the other and the superior player dominated the other in a key playoff series. Robinson was closer to Hakeem than Drexler was to Jordan but Robinson ultimately was not, despite what many thought at the time, equal to Hakeem.

Hakeem Olajuwon is not a cut above shit prime vs prime, peak vs peak. One playoff series doesn't make that so. Nobody shouldered a bigger load in the 90s than David Robinson. He was so dominate that a lot of those Spurs teams over achieved during the regular season and made people think they actually had legit chances at contending.

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 09:23 PM
One guy is arguably top 10 all-time; the other guy is top 25-30. Is that a cut above? That is a subjective question. Is Kobe a cut above Wade? Robinson's problem was he was not a great playoffs performer. For RS only he is on par with Hakeem.

juju151111
02-23-2015, 09:31 PM
Hakeem Olajuwon is not a cut above shit prime vs prime, peak vs peak. One playoff series doesn't make that so. Nobody shouldered a bigger load in the 90s than David Robinson. He was so dominate that a lot of those Spurs teams over achieved during the regular season and made people think they actually had legit chances at contending.
Foh Hansen destroyed him at his freaking peak. He couldn't guard him and he admitted that. Hakeem is a playoff performer like most of the greats.

Da_Realist
02-23-2015, 09:44 PM

What damage? You mean the increased hate? That hurts you more than it hurts MJ. Nothing you say will make much of a difference outside of four or five people that want to argue with you 24/7. I doubt you'll ever reveal anything 20 years later that most people somehow missed watching at the time. MJ's the most scrutinized basketball player ever. Idolized yes, but scrutinized, too.

You're blowing off steam. That's pretty much it.

f0und
02-23-2015, 09:51 PM
beast in reg season

get beasted in the finals

it sounds like lebron

how do you like my haiku, OP?

juju151111
02-23-2015, 09:54 PM
What damage? You mean the increased hate? That hurts you more than it hurts MJ. Nothing you say will make much of a difference outside of four or five people that want to argue with you 24/7. I doubt you'll ever reveal anything 20 years later that most people somehow missed watching at the time. MJ's the most scrutinized basketball player ever. Idolized yes, but scrutinized, too.

:roll: pretty much

guy
02-24-2015, 12:40 AM

:oldlol: you haven't educated anyone. There's no evidence that Drexler's injury had a notable effect on him in the 92 playoffs. It was the type of injury superstars are able to play through without a slip, which is why his production only got better in the playoffs before the finals.

What's your evidence? Because Drexler said so? Did you ever think maybe he was just making excuses? Do you know that Drexler is NOTORIOUS for making excuses?

guy
02-24-2015, 12:42 AM

:cheers: These clowns would give up their life savings for Jordan not to be considered the consensus GOAT and for someone to surpass him. Incredibly pathetic.