PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Garnett wants to use his $327 million to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves

Lebron23
02-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Sports More: NBA Kevin Garnett Minnesota Timberwolves NBA Offseason
Kevin Garnett wants to use his $327 million to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves

Kevin Garnett is the highest-paid player in NBA history, making $327 million in salary since he was drafted by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 1995.

Garnett was recently traded back to Minnesota, and it sounds like he has plans to stay with the team long-term.

According to Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press, Garnett wants to play for two more seasons and then form a group with coach and president Flip Saunders to buy the team in 2017.

From Walters:

The Wolves, for whom [owner Glen Taylor] paid $88 million in 1994, were valued at $625 million last January by Forbes. Taylor, who turns 74 in April, is amenable to taking in more limited partners. But he's not interested in selling his team until he finds out what the Atlanta Hawks, who are for sale and currently are taking bids, end up going for.

Garnett told Yahoo Sports back in November, "I want to buy the Timberwolves. Put a group together and perhaps some day try to buy the team. That's what I want."

He'll be 41 years old at the end of the 2016-17 season.

Michael Jordan, the only former player who's now a majority owner of an NBA franchise, told ESPN last fall that he'd like to see more players follow his path to the front office.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-garnett-wants-to-buy-the-timberwolves-2015-2#ixzz3SbGnQz9N

navy
02-23-2015, 04:02 PM
Steve Balmer fvcked him over with that Clippers overpay.

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 04:06 PM
lol @ the idea of Kevin Garnett having $327 million. He might, MIGHT, be able to liquidate all of his assets and have $100 million.

KyrieTheFuture
02-23-2015, 04:07 PM
I don't think he could be a majority owner

04mzwach
02-23-2015, 04:58 PM
lol @ the idea of Kevin Garnett having $327 million. He might, MIGHT, be able to liquidate all of his assets and have $100 million.
Imagine the money he made per year in endorsements and times that by 19. You don't think he could afford mansions, boats, jewelery, gourmet meals, personal trainer, maid, etc off of endorsement money? He's making 4 million just this year on endorsements and you can only imagine the money was much better earlier in his career.

The_Yearning
02-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Imagine the money he made per year in endorsements and times that by 19. You don't think he could afford mansions, boats, jewelery, gourmet meals, personal trainer, maid, etc off of endorsement money? He's making 4 million just this year on endorsements and you can only imagine the money was much better earlier in his career.

I think KG got mad dough... I hardly ever see dude splash cash or be in media splashing cash.

Eat Like A Bosh
02-23-2015, 05:02 PM
I don't think he can get the Wolves for $300Mil, and KG in no way is a billionaire.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 05:04 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-garnett-highest-paid-player-nba-history-2014-4?op=1
I was reading this and this stopped me dead in my tracks..closed that link

While Garnett has always been a very good player, he has never been considered one of the best players of all time.

http://img.pandawhale.com/76116-Eddie-Murphy-WHAT-gif-Imgur-q5DT.gif

b1imtf
02-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Seems legit. Dude will spend his whole carreer earnings? :roll:

ProfessorMurder
02-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Seems legit. Dude will spend his whole carreer earnings? :roll:
That's obviously not true, but don't act like he didn't make a f*ckload from endorsements and things.

He said 'get a group together', so he'd own a large chunk of the team instead of the whole team. Jordan only owns 2/3rds of the Hornets.

Getting like 15% of it and being the face of the franchise isn't absurd.

04mzwach
02-23-2015, 05:09 PM
His net worth is 190 million according to Forbes. I guess he could be part owner but not majority unless Glenn Taylor gives it away.

Foster5k
02-23-2015, 05:19 PM
The image of Kevin Garnett owning the Minnesota Timberwolves, sitting in the owner's seat, and yelling, "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!" is priceless.

Pointguard
02-23-2015, 05:20 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-garnett-highest-paid-player-nba-history-2014-4?op=1
I was reading this and this stopped me dead in my tracks..closed that link

http://img.pandawhale.com/76116-Eddie-Murphy-WHAT-gif-Imgur-q5DT.gif
Yeah right, that author is like a super hater.

chocolatethunder
02-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Exactly. That $327 after taxes/agents/manager whatever is only worth $163 million. I would be really surprised if he came up with $100 million.

Akrazotile
02-23-2015, 05:46 PM

Dont forget that between taxes and agent fees you can basically cut in half all of a players gross earnings from salary and endorsements.

Hes obviously still netted a shitload for the average person, but exactly how much of a stake he could buy in an NBA team is a different story. Its not like he can just put every dollar he has into the team either, you cant commit all your funds into one investment.

I'm sure if he wants to be involved in ownership itll happen some day, though I'm skeptical hed be able to pull off majority ownership, but who knows.

Hittin_Shots
02-23-2015, 05:49 PM
We don't know what he's done with his money.. If he's invested it well he could have a fair amount, taxes and agents take money but money makes money.

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 06:33 PM
You kids are incredibly naive. After Taxes, Lawyer fees, and their typical living expenses, the majority of NBA players are probably close to living paycheck to paycheck. Guys like JR Smith and Nick Young, if he doesn't marry Iggy Azalea, will be TOTALLY broke within 5 years of being out of the league. You are seriously underestimating the amount of money these guys burn rather than make sound investments to solidify their future. They buy things like $1,000,000 worth of jewelry, $300,000 cars, and $5,000,000 houses. Then they go and do stupid shit like spend $20k in a nightclub/stripclub. Can they afford it? Sure, when they're in the league. But how are they going to afford property taxes, insurance for sports cars(which is 1k+ per month), etc when they have no paycheck coming in? They don't, which is why you end up with people like Antoine Walker and Iverson that go broke. THe only reason you hear about those guys is because they were very well known as NBA players, role players are swept under the run but almost 70% of them are broke 5 years out of the league.

IGOTGAME
02-23-2015, 06:36 PM

Are you his accountant?

chocolatethunder
02-23-2015, 06:43 PM
You kids are incredibly naive. After Taxes, Lawyer fees, and their typical living expenses, the majority of NBA players are probably close to living paycheck to paycheck. Guys like JR Smith and Nick Young, if he doesn't marry Iggy Azalea, will be TOTALLY broke within 5 years of being out of the league. You are seriously underestimating the amount of money these guys burn rather than make sound investments to solidify their future. They buy things like $1,000,000 worth of jewelry, $300,000 cars, and $5,000,000 houses. Then they go and do stupid shit like spend $20k in a nightclub/stripclub. Can they afford it? Sure, when they're in the league. But how are they going to afford property taxes, insurance for sports cars(which is 1k+ per month), etc when they have no paycheck coming in? They don't, which is why you end up with people like Antoine Walker and Iverson that go broke. THe only reason you hear about those guys is because they were very well known as NBA players, role players are swept under the run but almost 70% of them are broke 5 years out of the league.
I assure you that making money as a musician is harder and the time that you actually make money is even more fleeting than that as an athlete. Iggy will be more irrelevant than DMX in five years and will have made a fraction of the money he did. They will both have no money.

chocolatethunder
02-23-2015, 06:46 PM
Are you his accountant?
I'm sure that he isn't but money is hard to make and regardless of where you invest it doubling your money is difficult. It's not speculation, it's fact that half of his earnings go/have gone to the government/agents/managers etc. So it would be impressive for him to have $100million liquid. Far from impossible but it's hard. Even if he had $327 million cash that is probably not going to make him a majority owner of any team given the current market. That being said, I applaud him for wanting to get a group and buy the team.

GOBB
02-23-2015, 06:54 PM

Dunno about Iverson being broke.

[QUOTE]A person with a firm grip on the situation informs me Iverson has an account worth $32 million, a principal he is prohibited from touching until 55. In the meantime, it feeds him $1 million annually.

At 45, Iverson is eligible to start drawing on an NBA pension that maxes out at 10 years of active duty, or take whatever

Pointguard
02-23-2015, 06:54 PM
Dont forget that between taxes and agent fees you can basically cut in half all of a players gross earnings from salary and endorsements.

Hes obviously still netted a shitload for the average person, but exactly how much of a stake he could buy in an NBA team is a different story. Its not like he can just put every dollar he has into the team either, you cant commit all your funds into one investment.

I'm sure if he wants to be involved in ownership itll happen some day, though I'm skeptical hed be able to pull off majority ownership, but who knows.

Taxes, Agents, Managers and Trainers are paid basically through your interest once you make over 100 million and Im' sure there's a couple of million to spare. You guys didn't calculate interest or endorsements at all. He brought a house and condo early on off of his salary along with his siblings and three friends education who lived with him in Minny - one of his friends was doing investment banking. Like Shaq, several players don't touch their salary money. KG has never given a hint that he was crazy with his money at all. Being that he is intense in general its likely he's either very good or horrible with his money. This conversation obviously suggest the former. On the low end I think he's liquid right now at 200 million.

Kblaze8855
02-23-2015, 06:57 PM
But how are they going to afford property taxes, insurance for sports cars(which is 1k+ per month), etc when they have no paycheck coming in? They don't, which is why you end up with people like Antoine Walker and Iverson that go broke.

AI has 30+ million of Reebok money in an account he cant fully access till hes like 60. Hes paid about a million a year from that so hes never going fully broke. And even if he didnt once hes at a certian age(I wanna say its 50) he can draw 100+ thousand a year from his NBA pension.

They get a set monthly rate which corresponds to their seasons put in....

For modern guys its 10-15 thousand a month for guys who played 12+ years.

Anyway....I suspect KG is hanging around 400 million in earnings minus the huge chunk that comes out.

Nowhere near enough to just buy 51% of a team....but it doesnt work that way. Its called an ownership group for a reason. Some of them have a lot of people we dont even know about.

The Spurs "owner" had a net worth usually listed around 80 million before the Clippers sale bumped up values.

Michael Jordan didnt exactly...buy...the Bobcats/Hornets. Most of the purchase price was in assumed longterm debt to the city and others.

KG having 100+ million in cash and rich friends would likely be enough.

Christian Laettner and a scrub teammate whos name I cant remember damn near bought the Grizzlies in 06 and he didnt earn a third of what KG did.

You just get a face...a guy who might have a lot of the cash but probably not all...and bring in friends.

Nelly, Usher, and Will Smith all own parts of NBA teams.

I bet if we could get a full top to bottom list of some teams it would be 10-15 guys splitting it up...

Kblaze8855
02-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Dunno about Iverson being broke.

Thats what I was thinking of...didnt feel like looking up the exact numbers.

That pension is nice...but they still **** over the old guys.

George Mikan got like 300 dollars a month at one point...I think they bumped it up eventually but not much.

The deal Oscar Robertson got for the players when he was union president only counted years played after some point in the 50s...so all of Mikans didnt count. Which is bullshit.

Players should work in a pioneers clause into the next CBA...get some of these guys a living.

But they wont...because it wont benefit them.

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Iverson is basically broke until his trust fund hits, his 1 mm per year income is barely enough to cover his debts IIRC. He is luck his financial advisor talked him into that trust.

And I never insinuated that KG was crazy with money like Iverson. But I think it's reasonable to assume he has probably spent at least 25-50% of his career earnings.

Pointguard
02-23-2015, 07:06 PM
Either you are good with it or bad with it. I've seen JR Smith spend perhaps $20,000 in a night from a distance. Biggest splurge I heard from KG was that he brought all the players on the Celtics suits when they went to Italy. Wise investment as they won it all that year and he got endorsements out of it.

IGOTGAME
02-23-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm sure that he isn't but money is hard to make and regardless of where you invest it doubling your money is difficult. It's not speculation, it's fact that half of his earnings go/have gone to the government/agents/managers etc. So it would be impressive for him to have $100million liquid. Far from impossible but it's hard. Even if he had $327 million cash that is probably not going to make him a majority owner of any team given the current market. That being said, I applaud him for wanting to get a group and buy the team.

Personally, I don't go around looking into other people's pockets. I have no idea how much he has made or what has come from where. I just find it silly to speculate when it all comes down to: Why don't know for sure. Obviously, its unlikely. But I can't say it 100%. And again obviously 327 mill isnt doing shit, but he can put together an investment group.

chocolatethunder
02-23-2015, 07:11 PM
AI has 30+ million of Reebok money in an account he cant fully access till hes like 60. Hes paid about a million a year from that so hes never going fully broke. And even if he didnt once hes at a certian age(I wanna say its 50) he can draw 100+ thousand a year from his NBA pension.

They get a set monthly rate which corresponds to their seasons put in....

For modern guys its 10-15 thousand a month for guys who played 12+ years.

Anyway....I suspect KG is hanging around 400 million in earnings minus the huge chunk that comes out.

Nowhere near enough to just buy 51% of a team....but it doesnt work that way. Its called an ownership group for a reason. Some of them have a lot of people we dont even know about.

The Spurs "owner" had a net worth usually listed around 80 million before the Clippers sale bumped up values.

Michael Jordan didnt exactly...buy...the Bobcats/Hornets. Most of the purchase price was in assumed longterm debt to the city and others.

KG having 100+ million in cash and rich friends would likely be enough.

Christian Laettner and a scrub teammate whos name I cant remember damn near bought the Grizzlies in 06 and he didnt earn a third of what KG did.

You just get a face...a guy who might have a lot of the cash but probably not all...and bring in friends.

Nelly, Usher, and Will Smith all own parts of NBA teams.

I bet if we could get a full top to bottom list of some teams it would be 10-15 guys splitting it up...
The Grizz weren't worth 3/4 of a billion back then and from what I remember Laettener and his boy whose name I can't remember either, couldn't really get the money together. He of course, was broke at the time or later went broke w bad investments and got in trouble and sued I believe. I can't rememeber that well because it wasn't important. KG could def get some im just not sure if he could swing a majority. But like insaid, either way, I think it's good that he wants to buy his old team and it's good for the team and the league and I hope he pulls it off in any way.

IGOTGAME
02-23-2015, 07:11 PM
Either you are good with it or bad with it. I've seen JR Smith spend perhaps $20,000 in a night from a distance. Biggest splurge I heard from KG was that he brought all the players on the Celtics suits when they went to Italy. Wise investment as they won it all that year and he got endorsements out of it.
JR is dumb and will be broke. I've known him since we were kids and I've always understood that he would outearn me from 18-35 but then after that I'd have a more stable life with more in the bank. Still rather have the money during the 20s but that is life.

I hope most players arent that ignorant.

Kblaze8855
02-23-2015, 07:14 PM
I just dont think "broke" is the right word for someone with 30 million dollars in a trust fund, a million dollars a year, and a pension about to kick in that will pay him more than 90% of Americans by itself.

I agree hes blown most of his money...just...I dont consider that broke. Hes debts arent nearly as much as he has put back.

And im sure youre right that KG has spent a lot of his money. Hes been rich for 20 years.....sure hes spent some. But he has enough to be the center of an ownership group. Just not enough to be a sole owner.

Kblaze8855
02-23-2015, 07:16 PM
The Grizz weren't worth 3/4 of a billion back then and from what I remember Laettener and his boy whose name I can't remember either, couldn't really get the money together. He of course, was broke at the time or later went broke w bad investments and got in trouble and sued I believe. I can't rememeber that well because it wasn't important. KG could def get some im just not sure if he could swing a majority. But like insaid, either way, I think it's good that he wants to buy his old team and it's good for the team and the league and I hope he pulls it off in any way.

Having looked into it...they put in the winning bid but the NBA was concerned they didnt have the money for day to day operations so they brought in more investors to the group. But you never get to know the whole list.

I heard before that Grant Hill was involved but I have no proof. Im sure NBA players know a lot of rich people.

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 07:17 PM
JR is dumb and will be broke. I've known him since we were kids and I've always understood that he would outearn me from 18-35 but then after that I'd have a more stable life with more in the bank. Still rather have the money during the 20s but that is life.

I hope most players arent that ignorant.

You're probably wrong on the majority, unfortunately. But what do you expect, they grew up within the hip hop culture which preaches you must live a lavish lifestyle to really make it. A high percentage of these kids come from low income households and are suddenly handed millions upon millions at the age of 18-20. What do you expect them to do? They don't think about the future, only the present. Unfortunately it's a product of the culture/society.

Obviously there are exception to this and some players are very frugal with their spending. There are also those that have lifeterm earning potential due to mass popularity(jordan) or just simply earn too much in their career to go broke(an example of this will probably be Durant, who will not have much of a brand once he retires but will make 600-700 million off of salary+endorsements)

CP343
02-23-2015, 07:19 PM
When he is owner, will he still snarl at opposing players from the crowd?

HomieWeMajor
02-23-2015, 07:28 PM
How does 327 million dollars fit in Adidas shoe boxes ? :confusedshrug:

Phenith
02-23-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm assuming if his goal is to become an owner, he has probably been pretty smart with his money. It takes money to make money and he could have a sizeable nest egg saved up with how long he has been a millionaire. Like others have said, the more realistic take home pay is probably less than half his gross pay, but that is still a hell of a lot of money and even living a luxurious lifestyle, he could have invested and made the remaining money work for him and be quite well off right now.

I say if he has that goal in mind, he is probably going to be a big piece of a group that makes a bid for a team.

Jailblazers7
02-23-2015, 07:52 PM
That's obviously not true, but don't act like he didn't make a f*ckload from endorsements and things.

He said 'get a group together', so he'd own a large chunk of the team instead of the whole team. Jordan only owns 2/3rds of the Hornets.

Getting like 15% of it and being the face of the franchise isn't absurd.

I thought Jordan owned like 90% of the Hornets now?

Akrazotile
02-23-2015, 09:04 PM
I just dont think "broke" is the right word for someone with 30 million dollars in a trust fund, a million dollars a year, and a pension about to kick in that will pay him more than 90% of Americans by itself.

I agree hes blown most of his money...just...I dont consider that broke. Hes debts arent nearly as much as he has put back.

And im sure youre right that KG has spent a lot of his money. Hes been rich for 20 years.....sure hes spent some. But he has enough to be the center of an ownership group. Just not enough to be a sole owner.

If by 'center' you mean the face of it, sure. If by 'center' you mean controlling owner, unlikely.

Yes there are ownership gropus, and current long-time owners like Peter Holt might have been able to buy low without having gigantic net worths, but if you look at the people who are buying controlling interest in teams lately, it's all hedge fund managers, microsoft ceo's, owners of private equity firms. MJ is obviously the exception but he's still worth way more than KG, plus the NBA really wanted to make MJ an owner for symbolic reasons.

The way teams are currently valued, even giving KG a generous benefit of the doubt in terms of his assets and investment income, I don't see any way he could be a majority owner.

I mean look at Jay Z. He's worth way more than KG, and he was well publicized as a part owner of the Nets. Then it came out he was actually like a .05% owner.

When you got people like Geffen and Oprah losing out on bids, it's pretty hard to see KG ever being the majority owner of an NBA franchise.

eliteballer
02-23-2015, 11:37 PM
Calm down ISHiots, he'd obviously get together a group of investors.

TheMarkMadsen
02-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Iverson gets 50 million when he turns 50, he's not broke

eliteballer
02-23-2015, 11:43 PM
Doesn't AI have a lifetime deal with reebok?

TheMarkMadsen
02-23-2015, 11:45 PM
Doesn't AI have a lifetime deal with reebok?

i was sort of off, he has a trust fund with reebok that will give him 30 million when he turns 55

was supposed to be 60 million but his ex wife got half.. :mad: :mad:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity/bankrupt-allen-iverson-has-a-15-million-reebok-trust-fund-that-he-cant-touch-till-2030/

SugarHill
02-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Iverson gets 50 million when he turns 50, he's not broke
What if he never hits 50? Can't a dude just get the money now? lol

guy
02-24-2015, 12:54 AM
KG is kinda weird, in an admirable and refreshing way. In addition to Minnesota, he's spent a lot of time in South Carolina, Chicago, Boston, and LA. But it seems like there's nowhere he'd rather be but freaking Minnesota. :oldlol:

oarabbus
02-24-2015, 02:26 AM
If by 'center' you mean the face of it, sure. If by 'center' you mean controlling owner, unlikely.

Yes there are ownership gropus, and current long-time owners like Peter Holt might have been able to buy low without having gigantic net worths, but if you look at the people who are buying controlling interest in teams lately, it's all hedge fund managers, microsoft ceo's, owners of private equity firms. MJ is obviously the exception but he's still worth way more than KG, plus the NBA really wanted to make MJ an owner for symbolic reasons.

The way teams are currently valued, even giving KG a generous benefit of the doubt in terms of his assets and investment income, I don't see any way he could be a majority owner.

I mean look at Jay Z. He's worth way more than KG, and he was well publicized as a part owner of the Nets. Then it came out he was actually like a .05% owner.

When you got people like Geffen and Oprah losing out on bids, it's pretty hard to see KG ever being the majority owner of an NBA franchise.

Exactly. There are guys like Larry Ellison (worth $50 billion) who failed to acquire sports teams in the past. KG will be the media face of the franchise, not a shareholding majority owner by any means.

El Kabong
02-24-2015, 03:32 AM
I don't think he can get the Wolves for $300Mil, and KG in no way is a billionaire.
He's not talking about buying the team outright, but getting a piece of the team as a group of investors.

Harison
02-24-2015, 03:39 AM
I'm pretty sure KG made way over 500 million from salaries + endorsements + shoe lines (he is even huge in China), etc. How much of it remains - we obviously cant know, but if his investments paid off, he might still have 300+ mln. at the best, 100+ mln. at the least.

Due to bloated team prices, I doubt KG can become a majority owner straight up, hence he would be "the face" of the group which buys the team.

However, some saying KG could never become a majority owner.. Nothing is impossible, as one guy said :D In due course of time KG migh buy out smaller investors, especially if NBA teams crashes in value for some reason.

Whats more surprising to me, is that KG picks Minny to spend the most of the rest of his life there, not exactly great place to live for a rich guy. I pictured him staying in LA :confusedshrug:

Pointguard
02-24-2015, 01:08 PM

Owning teams in NY and LA is vastly a different story than Minny. JZ could do Atlanta as he knows two previous majority owners quite well, Oprah wouldn't have that problem in Georgia either. In the smaller markets - and ATL is a much bigger market than Minny. In NY you have to years as a well connected person with other movers and shakers here. JZ didn't have the money or connections to compete. The old owner of the Nets is a major developer - most NY sports teams are owned by real estate developers, that got this Russian guy aboard because he just had the capitol. He's having problems because he isn't connected with the Mayor and local institutions. He will sell in a short time.

But a lot things in smaller markets are about being in the right place at the right time if you got the right connections. They aren't held to the same standards and connections are more important than the other standards.

Pointguard
02-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Whats more surprising to me, is that KG picks Minny to spend the most of the rest of his life there, not exactly great place to live for a rich guy. I pictured him staying in LA :confusedshrug:
A Russian guy owns the Nets and he's rarely in the States. KG isn't going to live there. He might, but I doubt it.

Harison
02-24-2015, 04:41 PM
A Russian guy owns the Nets and he's rarely in the States. KG isn't going to live there. He might, but I doubt it.

Completely different cases. Proki same as Balmer and some others are just rich guys for whom NBA team is just one of many investments.

KG would definitely be more hands on, something like MJ or Cuban.

Pointguard
02-24-2015, 05:44 PM
Completely different cases. Proki same as Balmer and some others are just rich guys for whom NBA team is just one of many investments.

KG would definitely be more hands on, something like MJ or Cuban.
But there is no mandate to live there. You have a place there sure. You go there perhaps for the longer homestands. You care about your product but you still have family, as in KGs situation, and where they want their lively hood. I hear what you are saying as he is intense but he's all family from what I hear.

Does Cuban have a family??? I don't know but I doubt it. MJ isn't at a lot of his home games but he grew up in NC and was living there without the team. Its a warm climate. It would be truly weird if KG went there and had the kids enrolled in schools up there.

This is only my speculation.

FireDavidKahn
02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Kg has had a house in Minnesota his entire nba career, even after he got traded. Kg loves it here. Kg is a different kind of person.he is loyal. Since he saw that Glen Taylor, flip saunders and the entire state of Minnesota took a chance in him and believed in him, he showed that same love back. Kg is amazing.