PDA

View Full Version : Current Wall or peak Arenas

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 04:11 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1013/pg2_g_arenaswall_576.jpg

Who is more valuable to a team? Who is the better player? Are both answers the same?

KyrieTheFuture
02-23-2015, 04:12 PM
Wall and it's not close

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Wall and it's not close
:biggums:

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 04:16 PM
Arenas. Wall is a better defender and passer but Arenas was a way better shooter/scorer.

KyrieTheFuture
02-23-2015, 04:19 PM
Arenas. Wall is a better defender and passer but Arenas was a way better shooter/scorer.
That's what got him into trouble, too quick to shoot.

VengefulAngel
02-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Peak Arenas averaged 29/6/3 on 45/37/82
John Wall is averaging 17/10/4 on 46/30/76

Wall is the better defender and passer but i'm taking Arenas all day.

AirBourne92
02-23-2015, 04:25 PM
arenas

by far

superior scorer

Ramza
02-23-2015, 04:27 PM
:roll:

Genaro
02-23-2015, 04:31 PM
Arenas was a great scorer and good passer. Wall is a better defender, passer and involves every one on offense but I would take Arenas for his ability to take over late in the game. If you have Wall you need a player who will close games for you.

rapker
02-23-2015, 04:32 PM

are we talking about guns or basketball :rockon:

Lebron23
02-23-2015, 04:33 PM
arenas

by far

superior scorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogrLrD6_8-o

Kobe agrees.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 04:34 PM
:coleman:

ImKobe
02-23-2015, 04:39 PM
Arenas easily. Wall is not a franchise player.

CeltsGarlic
02-23-2015, 04:44 PM
Peak arenas for sure.
dno in tha future

Foster5k
02-23-2015, 04:45 PM
Peak Arenas was like a loose cannon, powerful, but also dangerous to the one yielding it. Meaning, he could score efficiently and help the team, however he's lack of effort/ability on defense and careless play could become detrimental over time. He was the true gunslinger. No pun intended.

Would I take him over current Wall? Sure. However, how far do the Wizards actually get, in the playoffs, in the long run with Peak Arenas instead of Wall? I'm guessing they still don't get out of the East.

Yes, Peak Arenas would put on a show. He would charm the hell out of the girl. He would get her number. Buy the best tuxedo. Promise her the best night she ever had in her life. However, when the time came to pick her up for the Prom, he would be a no show. The girl or, in this case, the Wizards would not make it to the final dance. That's Agent Zero aka Gilbert Arenas.

imdaman99
02-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Peak Arenas could be fun to watch but I would take Wall easily. He just translates more to making his teammates better and in the long run more success as Wall's Wizards have already gotten past the 1st round and I don't remember Arenas's ever.

Smoke117
02-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Arenas was just a gunner...I'll take Wall for sure.

ThickassGlasses
02-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Depends on your team, as cliche as it sounds.

Optimus Dime is a better a player, but I don't think a team can legitimately contend if he's their go to scorer.

Hibachi is a better scorer/shooter, but he could never be the best player on the team/leader because well... he was Nick Young before Nick Young.

L.Kizzle
02-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Peak Arenas could be fun to watch but I would take Wall easily. He just translates more to making his teammates better and in the long run more success as Wall's Wizards have already gotten past the 1st round and I don't remember Arenas's ever.
Beat Chicago in 2005 ... wow doesn't seem that long ago.

IncarceratedBob
02-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Arenas dropped 60 on Kobe, who coincidentally has the most All NBA defensive team selections in history. That's freaking crazy.

T_L_P
02-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Arenas dropped 60 on Kobe, who coincidentally has the most All NBA defensive team selections in history. That's freaking crazy.

Except, he doesn't.

I'm taking Arenas though, for sure.

The_Yearning
02-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Peak Arenas was like a loose cannon, powerful, but also dangerous to the one yielding it. Meaning, he could score efficiently and help the team, however he's lack of effort/ability on defense and careless play could become detrimental over time. He was the true gunslinger. No pun intended.

Would I take him over current Wall? Sure. However, how far do the Wizards actually get, in the playoffs, in the long run with Peak Arenas instead of Wall? I'm guessing they still don't get out of the East.

Yes, Peak Arenas would put on a show. He would charm the hell out of the girl. He would get her number. Buy the best tuxedo. Promise her the best night she ever had in her life. However, when the time came to pick her up for the Prom, he would be a no show. The girl or, in this case, the Wizards would not make it to the final dance. That's Agent Zero aka Gilbert Arenas.

Actually, Gilbert would probably jizz on her dress so they'd both be no show for the final dance.

That, is Agent Zero.

KungFuJoe
02-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Arenas was also arguably the most clutch player in the league at his peak too.

I like Wall but you can't rely on him for a bucket when you really need one.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 05:07 PM
Actually, Gilbert would probably jizz on her dress so they'd both be no show for the final dance.

That, is Agent Zero.
:bowdown:

Done_And_Done
02-23-2015, 05:28 PM
If his peak lasts as long as it did IRL than give me Wall.

chocolatethunder
02-23-2015, 05:36 PM
:biggums:
One plays defense one never played defense.

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 05:39 PM
One plays defense one never played defense.
Yeah, since PG defense is THAT important... Wall's limited defensive impact really doesn't justify taking him over Arenas

Give me the elite scorer any day. We're talking about peak Arenas vs. current Wall. Arenas was a better player than current Wall and almost any team could use his elite scoring.

bizil
02-23-2015, 05:46 PM
Two different PG's. In terms of who was the better player, it's peak Arenas. In terms of who's the better PG, give me Wall. Arenas was a precursor to many of the score first PG's we see today. AI was as well, but AI actually moved to SG for his primary position. Arenas stayed at PG and was awesome while he was healthy. But typically for my PG, I prefer Wall's style of play over Arenas. Arenas, like many PG's of today, are undersized SG's or combo guards who happen to play the PG spot.

Flower_
02-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Give me better player, so it's easly Arenas.
Wizards are 4-10 in the last 14 games (or something like that) , probably Wall just forgot how to make his teammates better, because they are awful.

scott0326
02-23-2015, 06:20 PM
Give me better player, so it's easly Arenas.
Wizards are 4-10 in the last 14 games (or something like that) , probably Wall just forgot how to make his teammates better, because they are awful.
Wall forget to make his teammates better? He can't put the ball in the hoop for Butler, Temple and all the scrubs missing wide open threes all game.

The_Yearning
02-23-2015, 06:44 PM
Wall forget to make his teammates better? He can't put the ball in the hoop for Butler, Temple and all the scrubs missing wide open threes all game.

He can't put the ball in the hoop himself either.

chocolatethunder
02-23-2015, 06:49 PM
Yeah, since PG defense is THAT important... Wall's limited defensive impact really doesn't justify taking him over Arenas

Give me the elite scorer any day. We're talking about peak Arenas vs. current Wall. Arenas was a better player than current Wall and almost any team could use his elite scoring.
Cool. Do you have any idea how bad Gilbert was defensively or how bad those teams were? He was a great scorer when hot but stopped no one and was a turnover machine. He was just a scorer, hardly a passer. He was a great scorer for sure but don't get it confised and think he was a PG. He worked as a PG in that offense but he was less of a PG than Westbrook that's for sure. You were a child when he played so why bother talking about it.

Only ISH where defense isn't importand for Gilbert but Nash is a terrible player because his D was bad. Love it.

scott0326
02-23-2015, 07:02 PM
He can't put the ball in the hoop himself either.
Yup, his 46% from the field is terrible for a PG. :rolleyes:

DeuceWallaces
02-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Peak Arenas is chucking your way to 5 wins in the playoffs and lose to a shitty Cavs team. Let's see how Wall does this year before you pull the trigger on either.

Legends66NBA7
02-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Beat Chicago in 2005 ... wow doesn't seem that long ago.

Arenas hit the game winner in game 5 too.

Pretty much shifted all the momentum to Washington.

inclinerator
02-23-2015, 07:46 PM
gilbert for now , wall can become better tho

Vman23
02-24-2015, 12:35 AM
Hardcore Wizards fan here, it's Arenas and it's not close.

Prime Arenas was 29ppg on 58% TS with 6 assists/5 rebounds/2 steals per game. His peak, although short, was amazing. Wall is a fantastic passer, but he isn't on the level yet where he can actually go into a playoff series and keep up with Lebron, and Arenas did just that.

Vman23
02-24-2015, 12:37 AM
Peak Arenas is chucking your way to 5 wins in the playoffs and lose to a shitty Cavs team. Let's see how Wall does this year before you pull the trigger on either.

Arenas won against the Bulls with a buzzer beater in game 5, and against the Cavs averaged 34/5/5 on 46% FG.

IGOTGAME
02-24-2015, 12:40 AM
you werent gonna win anything with peak Arenas(skill set issues). Not a championship piece in my opinion. That is yet to be determined with WAll.

Jacks3
02-24-2015, 12:44 AM
Peak Arenas would be a top 10 player in the league. Wall isn't really close that all.

IGOTGAME
02-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Peak Arenas would be a top 10 player in the league. Wall isn't really close that all.

don't think he would be top 10. He was one of the most overrated players in recent memory. He was fool's gold

Jacks3
02-24-2015, 12:52 AM
How was he fools gold? Dude put 28/6/5/2 on excellent efficiency. Very good shooter. Good play-maker. Excellent at drawing fouls. Anchored top 10 offenses and put up strong +/- numbers. Dude was like a middle-class Kobe at his peak. I think people just dislike him because of his "style'' which is stupid because the only thing that matters is your impact on the game and all objective measurements have Gil clearly over Wall in that regard.

IGOTGAME
02-24-2015, 12:58 AM
How was he fools gold? Dude put 28/6/5/2 on excellent efficiency. Very good shooter. Good play-maker. Excellent at drawing fouls. Anchored top 10 offenses and put up strong +/- numbers. Dude was like a middle-class Kobe at his peak. I think people just dislike him because of his "style'' which is stupid because the only thing that matters is your impact on the game and all objective measurements have Gil clearly over Wall in that regard.

I watched the NBA a lot this year. Any team giving Gilbert Arenas a max contract is not winning a title. Just doesn't play a winning brand of basketball. Wasn't a good passer or playmaker and was a bad defender. Also, couldnt get easy shots.

He was fool's gold. I'd take Wall over him because Wall could be part of something great. Arenas' skill set won't allow him to.

chosen_one6
02-24-2015, 01:15 AM
Peak Arenas...if only because I don't think we've seen peak Wall yet.

NuggetsFan
02-24-2015, 01:25 AM
Any team giving Gilbert Arenas a max contract is not winning a title.

So? How many players win titles as the best player on the team? Not many. I love Wall's game but doubt he ever wins a championship as the best player. Odds are certainly in my favor. Wall would be easier to build around but both would need one of the top teams in the league to accomplish a title.

I'd take Arenas. He was a beast at his peak but it never lasted long. He had what 2 playoff appearances before he got hurt? Made the second round, and had a crazy series his other one averaging 34 points.

Had a 3 year stretch of 28/6/4. Wizards were 40+ wins during those seasons as well. Not MVP worthy or top 5 player in the league but if I got to choose between 10 years of that or 10 years of current Wall I take Arenas.

IGOTGAME
02-24-2015, 01:30 AM
So? How many players win titles as the best player on the team? Not many. I love Wall's game but doubt he ever wins a championship as the best player. Odds are certainly in my favor. Wall would be easier to build around but both would need one of the top teams in the league to accomplish a title.

I'd take Arenas. He was a beast at his peak but it never lasted long. He had what 2 playoff appearances before he got hurt? Made the second round, and had a crazy series his other one averaging 34 points.

Had a 3 year stretch of 28/6/4. Wizards were 40+ wins during those seasons as well. Not MVP worthy or top 5 player in the league but if I got to choose between 10 years of that or 10 years of current Wall I take Arenas.
Didn't say best player. I said a max contract.

Not many win, but many could be put in a position to make it happen. I don't think there is a realistic mix of players that wins with Arenas getting paid a max contract. I don't think he is a championship piece. I also don't think he was a beast, was never in my top 10.

Give me 10 years of a good point guard who is also a good leader and can develop talent. Arenas was a horrible defender and a chucker, he took too many bad shots to build around and couldnt get easier shots. Wall gets into the lane easy and gets others involved.

navy
02-24-2015, 01:31 AM
You arent winning a title with Wall as your best player

IGOTGAME
02-24-2015, 01:32 AM
You arent winning a title with Wall as your best player

didn't say best player. I said a max contract.

You can give Wall and Anthony Davis max contracts and have a shot a building a team capable of winnings it all. I don't see a scenario where that works with Gilbert Areanas.

Budadiiii
02-24-2015, 01:39 AM
didn't say best player. I said a max contract.

You can give Wall and Anthony Davis max contracts and have a shot a building a team capable of winnings it all. I don't see a scenario where that works with Gilbert Areanas.
whos Gilbert Areanas?

Vman23
02-24-2015, 01:54 AM
You have to remember, we never got to see peak Arenas either. His knee was destroyed at 25 years old. His game probably would have significantly matured by 27-29.

Vman23
02-24-2015, 01:58 AM
Didn't say best player. I said a max contract.

Not many win, but many could be put in a position to make it happen. I don't think there is a realistic mix of players that wins with Arenas getting paid a max contract. I don't think he is a championship piece. I also don't think he was a beast, was never in my top 10.

Regardless, Arenas finished top 10 in MVP voting in 07 and made All-NBA 2nd team. These days if you make the All-Star team as a young player, you are getting a max contract.

L.Kizzle
02-26-2015, 01:43 AM
Has prime Gil ever lost 9 of 11 games?

RoundMoundOfReb
02-26-2015, 01:52 AM
Gilbert. but his peak didn't last long