PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather play third fiddle or be empty?

Marchesk
02-23-2015, 05:26 PM
Would ISHers prefer to play a role (third best deferring) on a team that could win the title, or be the man on an organization going nowhere soon?

lilteapot
02-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Easily third fiddle because I'm not a ****ing retard OKC "fan"

MP.Trey
02-23-2015, 05:28 PM
I'd much rather win than lose.

SuperCereal
02-23-2015, 05:29 PM
What about da money?

Crown&Coke
02-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Is the money equal? Listen, I detest losing, but I'm trying to get paid. NBA shelf life is short, I'm trying to set up my entire family tree for life and then some

Like Paulie from Goodfellas, "F you, pay me"

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 05:34 PM
Easily third fiddle because I'm not a ****ing retard OKC "fan"
You're unemployed and have never played a sport in your life.

To answer the OP, I'd like to be the guy. I would relish having my own team and building them into a championship franchise instead of quitting on them to make it easier on myself while making less money.

SuperCereal
02-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Is the money equal? Listen, I detest losing, but I'm trying to get paid. NBA shelf life is short, I'm trying to set up my entire family tree for life and then some

Mah nikka :applause:

Genaro
02-23-2015, 05:35 PM

This.
If the money is the same I'd be ok being the 3rd wheel but if I'm getting less I'd rather be the FP and keep getting them checks.

Marchesk
02-23-2015, 05:37 PM
To answer the OP, I'd like to be the guy. I would relish having my own team and building them into a championship franchise instead of quitting on them to make it easier on myself while making less money.

I get that when you're younger, but if you get stuck on an organization where you don't think they can put the right pieces around you, it might be different.

Would you rather be Melo or full of Love at this point?

iggy>
02-23-2015, 05:38 PM
I'd rather tank while accumulating 2nd round picks

Jailblazers7
02-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Career context matters a lot for a hypothetical like this. Am 21 or am I like 29? If I'm 21 I'd rather be on the bad team. There is probably a chance of building a good contender around me and I'll be paid the max for like 6-7 years. Basically I'd be AD or Boogie.

But if I'm older like 29 or something I'd rather be 3rd fiddle. Basically I'd be Wes Matthews. Solid all-around player who does what is needed to win and gets paid fairly well for it. Nobody wants to be Sharif Adhul-Rahim their whole career (unless I get to be Joe Johnson laughing straight to the bank).

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 05:47 PM
I get that when you're younger, but if you get stuck on an organization where you don't think they can put the right pieces around you, it might be different.

Would you rather be Melo or full of Love at this point?
Melo is making 22-27 million a year and sitting on his couch eating pringles and ice cream bars.

Love is making 15 mil playing his ass off every game and won't get any credit if they do win, and will be blamed if they don't.

I'm all about winning games but Melo is winning at life. Give me the money and my own team.

305Baller
02-23-2015, 05:47 PM
3rd fiddle. As long as I still develop alpha traits.

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 05:52 PM
Win. Would you rather have Robert Parish's career or Mitch Richmond's?

Marchesk
02-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Melo is making 22-27 million a year and sitting on his couch eating pringles and ice cream bars.

Love is making 15 mil playing his ass off every game and won't get any credit if they do win, and will be blamed if they don't.

I'm all about winning games but Melo is winning at life. Give me the money and my own team.

Point taken, but Melo is in danger of going ringless for his career. We don't even know if Phil will stick it out long enough to turn the Knicks around. I don't know if that's worth it.

Love is in an interesting situation at his age. He's young enough to bolt for another team as the man. But he's also been in a losing situation for years, so he might decide it's worth it in Cleveland for the rings.

Budadiiii
02-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Point taken, but Melo is in danger of going ringless for his career. We don't even know if Phil will stick it out long enough to turn the Knicks around. I don't know if that's worth it.

Love is in an interesting situation at his age. He's young enough to bolt for another team as the man. But he's also been in a losing situation for years, so he might decide it's worth it in Cleveland for the rings.
There's no clear answer. Too many different situations.

I'd play third fiddle to Durant/Westbrook and take less money because I like them as people and know they're the most loyal guys ever.

Playing third fiddle to LeBron/Kyrie? **** no.

lilteapot
02-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Love will get credit if they win from the smart fans who aren't restricted to looking at stats like blind sheep. Just like Bosh gets credit from the smart fans for the 2 titles and the roles he played in their finals runs.

Plus, he'll be happier having won a championship. It's not easy to win any of them whether you're the 1st or the 3rd option or a 6th man and the feeling of accomplishment will overshadow any ego's.

Marchesk
02-23-2015, 05:57 PM

Parish and I'd rather have Worthy's career over Dominique's.

Roundball_Rock
02-23-2015, 06:43 PM

Love's age could solve the "problem" for him. His peak years will coincide with LeBron declining. The same cycle would repeat with Love/Irving so over time they all may get a chance to be "the man," at least in terms of being the #1 scoring option. I can see Love as the team's #1 scoring option but LeBron still being the team's best player 3 years from now.

Parish and I'd rather have Worthy's career over Dominique's.

Yup--and Parish and Worthy are remembered more than Richmond for sure and even Dominique.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Love's age could solve the "problem" for him. His peak years will coincide with LeBron declining. The same cycle would repeat with Love/Irving so over time they all may get a chance to be "the man," at least in terms of being the #1 scoring option. I can see Love as the team's #1 scoring option but LeBron still being the team's best player 3 years from now.

Yup--and Parish and Worthy are remembered more than Richmond for sure and even Dominique.

Hell no. Nique is more remembered than either.

JerrySeinfeld
02-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Well I already feel empty, so I guess to play the fiddle.

LONGTIME
02-23-2015, 07:12 PM

Who made more bank?

Marchesk
02-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Who made more bank?

Does it really matter? You can be millionaire either way, unless you spend it all.

What money can't buy you is rings.