PDA

View Full Version : Biggest robberies in Oscar history

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 09:28 PM
What do you say? It will always be Kramer vs Kramer somehow beating Apocalypse Now for me. Apocalypse Now has an argument for the GOAT cinematic masterpiece, particularly given how well its cinematography holds up over time considering when it was shot.

Taxi Driver losing to Rocky is also pretty damn bad

dazzer87
02-23-2015, 09:41 PM
1999 Best Picture.........Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan......

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 09:43 PM
1999 Best Picture.........Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan......

Saving Private Ryan is an extremely overrated movie outside of the first 30 minutes. However you are right, Shakespeare in Love shouldn't have won. The Thin Red Line should have won.

DeuceWallaces
02-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Goodfellas
Shawshank or Pulp
Citizen Kane
Wizard of Oz
Fargo
Foreign Correspondent
Double Indemnity or Gaslight
Spellbound
Wonderful Life

pastis
02-23-2015, 09:53 PM
talking about actors
blood diamonds and shutter island..... dicaprio earned his oscar for one of those for sure.
or at least for his brilliance in departed as supporting actor.

NBAplayoffs2001
02-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Saving Private Ryan is an extremely overrated movie outside of the first 30 minutes. However you are right, Shakespeare in Love shouldn't have won. The Thin Red Line should have won.

Shoot that was also a really good movie

NBAplayoffs2001
02-23-2015, 10:19 PM
talking about actors
blood diamonds and shutter island..... dicaprio earned his oscar for one of those for sure.

Blood Diamonds was amazing but I don't think DiCaprio did enough for an Oscar. His accent though was spot on.

Joyner82reload
02-23-2015, 10:23 PM
talking about actors

https://taylory.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/blood-diamond-2.jpg

Had the better performance in BD IMO

NBAplayoffs2001
02-23-2015, 10:24 PM

Had to think for a few moments... I actually agree:applause:

Patrick Chewing
02-23-2015, 10:28 PM

To me, this is the perfect movie. Nick Nolte and Jim Caviezel were magnificent.

NBAplayoffs2001
02-23-2015, 10:34 PM
To me, this is the perfect movie. Nick Nolte and Jim Caviezel were magnificent.

It was beautifully made. Some very iconic scenes.

Sarcastic
02-23-2015, 10:53 PM
Alfred Hitchcock never winning an Oscar.

Nowitness
02-23-2015, 10:58 PM

Or Kubrick.

NBAplayoffs2001
02-23-2015, 10:59 PM
Or Kubrick.

Both are massively overrated so I think it's a given.

LJJ
02-23-2015, 11:03 PM
This movie won best picture:

http://i.imgur.com/g9B0lRr.jpg

The same year 2001 won Best Special Effects. :oldlol:

Academy people clueless as always. Oscars hold no significance whatsoever.

Cactus-Sack
02-23-2015, 11:21 PM
Rocky shits all over Taxi Driver

http://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2JaiEMoxIhQhY4/giphy.gif

Velocirap31
02-24-2015, 12:13 AM
The Oscars are crap. Too many feel good picks and 'it's hot right now' picks. The best picks aren't usually the winning ones.

bigkingsfan
02-24-2015, 12:24 AM
Anyone can win an Oscar if they play a homosexual with ALS.

Nowitness
02-24-2015, 12:42 AM
Both are massively overrated so I think it's a given.

:facepalm

irondarts
02-24-2015, 12:48 AM
Art Carney won best actor over Pacino (Godfather), Nicholson (Chinatown), Dustin Hoffman (Lenny) in 1974.

What.

Joyner82reload
02-24-2015, 12:56 AM
Art Carney won best actor over Pacino (Godfather), Nicholson (Chinatown), Dustin Hoffman (Lenny) in 1974.

What.

GOAT year for best actor

Cactus-Sack
02-24-2015, 01:04 AM
Paul Newman for Hud.

Andrei89
02-24-2015, 05:16 AM
Eddie Redmayne over Michael Keaton who had one of the GOAT performances.

T_L_P
02-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Recent ones:

DLL winning Best Actor for Lincoln over Phoenix for The Master.

Christoph Waltz winning for Inglourious Basterds (in a film called Django Unchained) over Phillip Seymour Hoffman for The Master.

Jared Leto winning for Dallas Buyers Club over Fassbender for 12 Years A Slave.

The academy doesn't appreciate performance art.

SugarHill
02-24-2015, 05:33 AM
Recent ones:

Christoph Waltz winning for Inglorious Basters (in a film called Django Unchained) over Phillip Seymour Hoffman for The Master.

:biggums:

Leto >>>>

surprised you didn't mention Schindler's List :oldlol:

StephHamann
02-24-2015, 07:31 AM

Or Kubrick.

/thread

Nastradamus
02-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Recent ones:

Christoph Waltz winning for Inglourious Basterds (in a film called Django Unchained) over Phillip Seymour Hoffman for The Master.

Leto was a better performance than Fassbender and all 6 performances listed here are elite and award worthy. No need for the comment at the end, even if sometimes true

T_L_P
02-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Leto was a better performance than Fassbender and all 6 performances listed here are elite and award worthy. No need for the comment at the end, even if sometimes true

I agree that DDL's performance was Oscar worthy so it isn't exactly a robbery (though the character he plays couldn't be farther from reality).

Waltz played the same quirky, un-nuanced character he played in Basterds (though he was actually somewhat frightening in the latter so it deserves more credit). We get no real sense of why the character does what he does. There were multiple more deserving candidates. I don't know, maybe my distaste for the performance stems from the fact that Tarantino has become a movie-making caricature, repeating the same old tosh every movie (I count five revenge fantasies in a row now, all saying the exact same thing; that violence is the motor of life).

Leto was not better than Fassbender. Again, part of this is to do with the script (the character serves to amuse us half the time and the other half it's Leto condensing every known stereotype we have of transgender women into one role). The only scene that took any guts, or was performed with the same level of talent that Fassbender displayed throughout 12 Years A Slave, was when Rayon went to visit her father (that was Oscar-worthy acting).

I have no problem if you disagree (I actually really liked Dallas Buyers Club aside from the self-serving revisionism, and DDL is one of the acting greats). That's just how I feel. :confusedshrug:

SunsN07BookIt
02-24-2015, 12:33 PM
What do you say? It will always be Kramer vs Kramer somehow beating Apocalypse Now for me. Apocalypse Now has an argument for the GOAT cinematic masterpiece, particularly given how well its cinematography holds up over time considering when it was shot.

Taxi Driver losing to Rocky is also pretty damn bad

Kramer vs Kramer was a juggernaut not to be denied that year. Best actor for Dustin Hoffman, Best Director, Best Supporting Actress for Meryl Streep, Best Screenplay, Best Picture. It seems a robbery now because Apocalypse Now has aged so well, while the cultural impact of Kramer vs Kramer is insignificant now. No one blinks an eye at families separating, brutal divorce, father's rights, etc anymore.

CP343
02-24-2015, 12:40 PM

I didn't think his South African accent was good.

CP343
02-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Rocky shits all over Taxi Driver

http://media.giphy.com/media/yoJC2JaiEMoxIhQhY4/giphy.gif

I agree with this.

Top Gun
02-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Tom Cruise losing in 1990 and 2000. Travesty.

KirbyPls
02-24-2015, 05:06 PM

I like your perspective on movies. :applause:

ThePhantomCreep
02-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Vertigo, a GOAT-caliber film, failed to secure a nomination for best picture.