PDA

View Full Version : Least Homer NBA play-by-play announcers?

Burgz V2
02-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Was watching highlights from Rockets vs Wolves and heard the commentators complaining about Wiggins travelling on his step back (literally the same step back move Harden does). Reinforces the fact that even though his dad played for them back in the day, they never stop short of being critical of other teams' players.

Got me thinking, which commentary crew is least homer-ish in their assessment of players/games?

I would say Raptors, but Jack doesnt do every game, more than he used to, but Leo just oozes Toronto bias. Maybe Miami or the Lakers. Thoughts?

lilteapot
02-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Heat and Lakers come to mind right away

Also Knicks

24-Inch_Chrome
02-24-2015, 05:05 PM
I'd throw a vote in for Jack. I watch the Raptors as often as I can and although he'll call out garbage calls against the Raps I've also heard him acknowledge the ones they get away with. I also love the guy because he's entertaining as hell, "get that garbage outta here" never gets old.

Uncle Drew
02-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Ian Eagle, Nets announcer.

sammichoffate
02-24-2015, 05:13 PM
Nets, Knicks, Dallas are all pretty cool

Rake2204
02-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Ian Eagle, Nets announcer.That might be a good one. Perhaps Dallas as well. I'm trying to think of the ones that could most readily be eliminated off the top:

Chicago
Boston
Los Angeles Clippers

Dominique Wilkins in Atlanta flummoxed me because on one hand he seemed so extreme in his praise of the Hawks and derision of the Pistons (in the game I watched) but then he also handed out some great compliments to the opposing team too. It's like he calls 'em how he sees them, but he sees them on a somewhat extreme scale.

Wade's Rings
02-24-2015, 05:15 PM
Heat & Knicks off the top of my Head.

lilteapot
02-24-2015, 05:19 PM
That might be a good one. Perhaps Dallas as well. I'm trying to think of the ones that could most readily be eliminated off the top:

Chicago
Boston
Los Angeles Clippers

Dominique Wilkins in Atlanta flummoxed me because on one hand he seemed so extreme in his praise of the Hawks and derision of the Pistons (in the game I watched) but then he also handed out some great compliments to the opposing team too. It's like he calls 'em how he sees them, but he sees them on a somewhat extreme scale.

I love Nique on commentary

Rose'sACL
02-24-2015, 05:19 PM
heat, knicks and nets.

christian1923
02-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Clippers

Velocirap31
02-24-2015, 05:31 PM
Not the Celtics announcers, that's for sure.

Legends66NBA7
02-24-2015, 05:34 PM
None of the Raptors announcers.

Burgz V2
02-24-2015, 05:41 PM
None of the Raptors announcers.

Not even Jack??

MP.Trey
02-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Knicks broadcast team wins imo, almost feels like a nationally televised game with Breen and Frazier, two guys who have been (Well, Breen at least) and could be good on national broadcasts.

screeningnick
02-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Heat & Lakers.

Worst announces: CLIPPERS

Genaro
02-24-2015, 05:48 PM
Lakers, Knicks, Heat and Wolves come to mind . I only watched 2 games with Wolves broadcasters so I may be wrong but they were giving props to the other team.

Clippers, Bulls, Rockets, Nuggets, Jazz, Grizzlies and Celtics make me sick.

CP343
02-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Probably the Lakers, which is why it is confusing how delusional their fans sometimes get. I think the commentators are more realistic because they don't need to overreact to draw interest in the team, because the interest is already there.

Levity
02-24-2015, 05:57 PM
Joel Meyers

Kblaze8855
02-24-2015, 06:01 PM
The Knicks broadcasters often dont even like the Knicks. Remember them firing Marv albert for telling the truth? He had been calling Knick games since like...1965. And Dolan fired him for pretty much saying what all Knicks fans wre saying in 2004. He got fired for being too real:

Albert felt he could report only what he saw; his superiors, going up as high as James L. Dolan, chairman of Madison Square Garden and president of Cablevision, saw an announcer who harped on negatives and did not seem to like the team.

Dolan embraced the belief that MSG announcers should call games with a more positive, upbeat approach than those who have national assignments. In this case, two industry executives said, Albert angered Dolan by providing the same type of objective, somewhat critical call on MSG that he did for his National Basketball Association assignments on TNT and used to do on NBC.

''Jim felt all broadcasters had to be cheerleaders and sell tickets,'' said one of the executives, who also said that Dolan was also unhappy with Walt Frazier, Albert's former MSG partner, and John Davidson, the Rangers' longtime MSG analyst.

Last season, according to a confidant of Albert's, his superiors conveyed their belief that he was too negative and sought to have him minimize remarks about the Knicks' losses, turnovers and subpar shooting. He was told not to build up opponents and to refrain from speaking extensively about the firings of Don Chaney as coach and Scott Layden as general manager. There was even joking by the Knicks' production crew about not giving the final score if the team lost, the confidant said.

The confidant also said that Dolan reprimanded Albert for saying that management had ''tortured and embarrassed'' Chaney by dragging out his dismissal.

Albert was also reprimanded for suggesting during a game that a bad call ended up giving Stephon Marbury an extra free throw, the confidant said.

Albert, who declined to discuss the specifics yesterday from Los Angeles, said: ''I felt at times like I was in the theater of the absurd, not the MSG Network. I felt like, what's going on here? This is a chapter in journalism about how a broadcast should not be handled.''

Garden officials declined to comment.

He called Reed vs Wilt/Russell right up to Marbury vs Tony Parker.

And the truth gets him fired.

SHAQisGOAT
02-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Probably Knicks, Lakers and Heat. I also like Nique. Stu Lantz is my ***** though, always liked his commentating, and he's been doing it since back in the day too.

Levity
02-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Probably Knicks, Lakers and Heat. I also like Nique. Stu Lantz is my ***** though, always liked his commentating, and he's been doing it since back in the day too.

love me some lance, but hate me some mcdonald.

Genaro
02-24-2015, 06:08 PM
Oh I forgot about the terrible Cavs guys.

Legends66NBA7
02-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Not even Jack??

Jack can be biased too, but he's mostly funny.

Maybe I'm just used to listening to them for so long.

Velocirap31
02-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Oh I forgot about the terrible Cavs guys.

You can play the drinking game where you take a shot when "Deep in the Q" is said.

VengefulAngel
02-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Ian Eagle is hilarious, plus the Heat announcers are great also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGh3ffg12CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_t4v5_9odU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yyAKuj4pNE

MP.Trey
02-24-2015, 06:26 PM
You can play the drinking game where you take a shot when "Deep in the Q" is said.
He got him a bird deep in the Q! *inaudible mumbling* GET THAT WEAK STUFF OUTTA HERE!

Dro
02-24-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm nominating the Pacers announcers, well really Quinn Buckner. He calls it like he sees it. Mark Boyle can be a homer though....