PDA

View Full Version : How did parents take care of their kids before tablets and smartphones?

christian1923
02-24-2015, 08:41 PM
Everywhere I go I see a kid watching a show or playing a game on a phone or tablet.

Even at this restaurant I work at, the kids just watch their tablets the whole dinner while the parents eat their food.

I grew up on Gameboys but I was never allowed to play that shit at the dinner table :lol

Yall new parents are lazy as shit, smack your kid in the back of his kid to make them behave. Watching a tablet 10 hours a day just seems wrong. Its taking the easy way out in raising your kid instead of actually talking to them and spending time with them.:coleman:

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Its Called Civil Conversation And Large Families.

And Don't Hit Your Kids.

christian1923
02-24-2015, 08:49 PM
Its Called Civil Conversation And Large Families.

And Don't Hit Your Kids.
There's nothing wrong with a little smack in the head. It doesn't hurt

~primetime~
02-24-2015, 09:04 PM
I limit my son's tablet/TV time to 1 hour a day...excessive TV/screen time is linked to ADD

I will say this though, at restaurants, tablets are fcking PERFECT...dealing with a crying/screaming toddler at a restaurant is a fckin nightmare, not just for the parents but for everyone around the table you're at. If you can save everyone the agony of a screaming child by throwing a tablet at him then go for it.

joe
02-24-2015, 09:25 PM
This..... appeal to tradition is annoying to me.

Kids can do a lot of educational things on a tablet, too. Learn about animals, colors, numbers, words, letters. Not to mention just listen to music, which my nephew loves to do and I find pretty amazing how much even babies enjoy music.

The part about hitting your kids is so out of place in this post. It just strikes me as a person who is trying to sound a certain way, or maybe is a certain way, of being old fashioned. Do you have any more disjointed old man cliches for us? Shine your shoes or something?

Any parent who gives their kid a tablet is not automatically a lazy parent. It might be one small part of their awesome parenting, that you are unaware of but nonetheless have a strong opinion on.

christian1923
02-24-2015, 09:58 PM

Kids can do a lot of educational things on a tablet, too. Learn about animals, colors, numbers, words, letters. Not to mention just listen to music, which my nephew loves to do and I find pretty amazing how much even babies enjoy music.

The part about hitting your kids is so out of place in this post. It just strikes me as a person who is trying to sound a certain way, or maybe is a certain way, of being old fashioned. Do you have any more disjointed old man cliches for us? Shine your shoes or something?

Any parent who gives their kid a tablet is not automatically a lazy parent. It might be one small part of their awesome parenting, that you are unaware of but nonetheless have a strong opinion on.
Yeah its nice when they learn something, but most times kids are just watching Youtube videos of people opening presents.

Akrazotile
02-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Yeah its nice when they learn something, but most times kids are just watching Youtube videos of people opening presents.

So are adults

:ohwell:

joe
02-24-2015, 11:06 PM

I criticized your strong opinion, but strong opinions are what makes the internet fun. So I soften my previous tone and stance and overall am entertained by your post, though I still stand by my rebuttal.

That is true. But there will be lazy parents in every generation. At least now, the kid is occupied and less likely to be crying, as mentioned in a previous post. Also, for a small benefit, they are working on their motor skills while handling an IPad. If it wasnt an IPad, they would be given a coloring book and ignored. If it wasnt a coloring book, it would be whatever they gave kids to keep them quiet in the 1910s. A colorful decorative sock?

Good parenting can also include IPads. My nephew does color matching and animal matching games on it, and a lot of other weird education games that creep you out when you watch them. Honestly, they are weird and ominous to an adult. But either way, things can be done either way. If you know what I mean..

Cactus-Sack
02-24-2015, 11:08 PM
Hit kids.

Your kids, other peoples kids, hit em

Little fvcking fgts.

gts
02-25-2015, 12:00 AM
Everywhere I go I see a kid watching a show or playing a game on a phone or tablet.

Even at this restaurant I work at, the kids just watch their tablets the whole dinner while the parents eat their food.

I grew up on Gameboys but I was never allowed to play that shit at the dinner table :lol

Yall new parents are lazy as shit, smack your kid in the back of his kid to make them behave. Watching a tablet 10 hours a day just seems wrong. Its taking the easy way out in raising your kid instead of actually talking to them and spending time with them.:coleman:

depends on the parents... with my kids the games, phones, ipods or whatever they are stay at home when we go out...

when we go to a doctors appointment or the dentist, long trip in the car, basically someplace that they'll be sitting around and waiting then they can bring them out otherwise trips to the store, mall, eating or whatever leave them at home... oddly enough the times they can bring one along my 10 year old tends to leave the ipod at home and bring a book instead, she's cool that way

hikes, they bring them when we go on hikes or camping because of the location/mapping aspects, plus one of the girls has some bird ap that she uses to identify birds but mostly they stay in the backpacks in ziplock bags

i just don't want the kids to go through life with their noses buried in in a device... there'll be plenty of that later in life

bigkingsfan
02-25-2015, 12:04 AM
They let them outside.

Akrazotile
02-25-2015, 01:56 AM
depends on the parents... with my kids the games, phones, ipods or whatever they are stay at home when we go out...

when we go to a doctors appointment or the dentist, long trip in the car, basically someplace that they'll be sitting around and waiting then they can bring them out otherwise trips to the store, mall, eating or whatever leave them at home... oddly enough the times they can bring one along my 10 year old tends to leave the ipod at home and bring a book instead, she's cool that way

hikes, they bring them when we go on hikes or camping because of the location/mapping aspects, plus one of the girls has some bird ap that she uses to identify birds but mostly they stay in the backpacks in ziplock bags

i just don't want the kids to go through life with their noses buried in in a device... there'll be plenty of that later in life

:pimp:

my niglet

imdaman99
02-25-2015, 02:03 AM
Minecraft is a drug for these kids :facepalm

Had my cousin's kid wanting to download that on my phone. He was like, should I get it for you? It's only $7 :roll:

Swaggin916
02-25-2015, 02:11 AM
Thank god for technology saves the sanity of many a parent.

Megabox!
02-25-2015, 01:20 PM
They let them outside.
This. Let them little f*ckers go outside and play, make friends in the real world. When I was kid I was outside playing football, basketball, hide-n-seek all day with my amigos until DBZ came on then everyone raced home to watch that shit :oldlol:

Tarik One
02-25-2015, 01:27 PM
:facepalm @ people who constantly use technology as a cop-out for kids' having problems.

"We I was growing up we didn't have all these shoot 'em up games and iPhones......." Yeah, but I bet you did wish you had them.

~primetime~
02-25-2015, 01:35 PM

I feel like TV is damaging one, and not so much tablets...reading from a book or a tablet, same thing. One has a lit screen, the other doesn't. And majority of games require critical thinking, use of logic - decision making. The user is forced to use their brain. There has been research that shows video games can be healthy for the brain.

It's the TV that is the bad guy...you just sit there are drool like a zombie...no reading to do, no choices to be made, etc. Studies have also shown that lots of TV can be damaging to development of children.

CP343
02-25-2015, 01:43 PM
smack your kid in the back of his kid to make them behave.

:lol

JEFFERSON MONEY
02-25-2015, 01:47 PM
I feel like TV is damaging one, and not so much tablets...reading from a book or a tablet, same thing. One has a lit screen, the other doesn't. And majority of games require critical thinking, use of logic - decision making. The user is forced to use their brain. There has been research that shows video games can be healthy for the brain.

It's the TV that is the bad guy...you just sit there are drool like a zombie...no reading to do, no choices to be made, etc. Studies have also shown that lots of TV can be damaging to development of children.

Agreed.

Especially if it's stupid ass TV programs.

If the dude or chick is playing a trading card game or an RTS or a card game or a flight simulator or even an FPS there are calculations being made, neurons growing, senses activated.

El Kabong
02-25-2015, 01:47 PM

Yea, my 6 year old nephew does/did quite a lot of stuff on an iPad to help him along since he was having some speaking difficulties to begin with.

The problem became he discovered you could play games on the thing and started wanting to play shit like Angry Birds when he was supposed to be learning, or you'd be doing stuff with him and take your phone out of your pocket and he'd start bugging you to play games. I'd refuse every time so he got out of the habit of asking me since he knows I won't let him do it.

gts
02-25-2015, 02:10 PM

Well that's why my kids aren't allowed to bring the TV out to dinner :lol

TV is easy to regulate... "shut it off or I'll break your legs"

Dresta
02-25-2015, 02:16 PM

Spot on.

Planting kids in front of the television significantly harms their imagination and creativity. Not to mention that it is through our imaginations that we deal with moral dilemmas, and work our way through them. Television just packs children full of preconceived opinions in this regard, preventing them from independent reflection, substituting their individual conscience for a collective one, an increasingly uniform 'social conscience.'

It also encourages the need for instant gratification, and discourages patience, hence why so few of the young read a serious book longer than 'Of Mice and Men'