PDA

View Full Version : Losing Respect For the Spurs

Noyze
02-26-2015, 02:29 AM
This team is always inspired to win a championship after they lose. Look, the Spurs are an all time great no doubt, but I'm not gonna put Pop up there with Pat Riley, Phil Jackson or Red Auerbach. The season isn't over yet but I fail to understand why Gregg Popovich isn't as inspired to defend their championship. In 05 and last year we heard all the stories about how inspired they were to "get back."

So let's see what happened and maybe you guys can shine some light on what happened each season.

99 - Spurs win
2000 - After getting swept by the Spurs the year before we all (including Shaq) awaited the rematch. But Duncan goes down and misses most of the playoffs.

2003 - Spurs Win
2004 - Duncan had what would have been one of the great shots in NBA history. But it was completely erased by Fishers 0.4 miracle.

2005 - Spurs Win
2006 - They face Dallas in the Western Conference finals which becomes one of the all time great 7 game series. Jason Terry corner shot? Don't foul Ginobili? Dallas Wins

2007 - Spurs win
2008 - ??????

2013 - Ray Allen corner shot
2014 - Inspired all year, dominate the playoffs especially the finals. Spurs Win
20015 - ???

So many excuses, some better then others. But I see a trend, the Spurs don't look hungry again and there always seems to be a reason why. IMO it starts with the coach.

T_L_P
02-26-2015, 02:32 AM
The only Spurs who have played like defending champions all season long are Duncan and Joseph.

Almost everyone else has regressed; half of them don't care and the other half are out of shape.

Embarrassing that a man pushing 40 is giving the most effort...being the team's best player.

There is no excuse. We're not a good team right now.

archkiller
02-26-2015, 02:50 AM
Spurs are not made for repeat.

Budadiiii
02-26-2015, 03:24 AM
Playoffs.

Pop understands his team, he knows their limits. It's about building the right habits, staying the course, and making it to the playoffs healthy.

Not saying they'll win it all, but don't be surprised if they give Golden State all they can handle. Why would you lose respect for an old ass team like the Spurs? Duncan is 40 years old, Manu and Parker look like grandpas, and they have a bunch of over-achieving role players. They're not supposed to repeat.

imnew09
02-26-2015, 03:34 AM
Spurs never won back to back. Weak

keep-itreal
02-26-2015, 03:36 AM
this season is a disaster.

Danny Green is unhappy on the team

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25081505/spurs-danny-green-were-not-the-happy-fun-team-we-were-last-year

it's over bruh

sportjames23
02-26-2015, 03:44 AM
this season is a disaster.

Danny Green is unhappy on the team

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25081505/spurs-danny-green-were-not-the-happy-fun-team-we-were-last-year

it's over bruh

Green back to Cleveland!

https://donttrysohard.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/lebrondance.gif

Spurs m8
02-26-2015, 04:06 AM
This team is always inspired to win a championship after they lose. Look, the Spurs are an all time great no doubt, but I'm not gonna put Pop up there with Pat Riley, Phil Jackson or Red Auerbach. The season isn't over yet but I fail to understand why Gregg Popovich isn't as inspired to defend their championship. In 05 and last year we heard all the stories about how inspired they were to "get back."

So let's see what happened and maybe you guys can shine some light on what happened each season.

99 - Spurs win
2000 - After getting swept by the Spurs the year before we all (including Shaq) awaited the rematch. But Duncan goes down and misses most of the playoffs.

2003 - Spurs Win
2004 - Duncan had what would have been one of the great shots in NBA history. But it was completely erased by Fishers 0.4 miracle.

2005 - Spurs Win
2006 - They face Dallas in the Western Conference finals which becomes one of the all time great 7 game series. Jason Terry corner shot? Don't foul Ginobili? Dallas Wins

2007 - Spurs win
2008 - ??????

2013 - Ray Allen corner shot
2014 - Inspired all year, dominate the playoffs especially the finals. Spurs Win
20015 - ???

So many excuses, some better then others. But I see a trend, the Spurs don't look hungry again and there always seems to be a reason why. IMO it starts with the coach.

You sound like the kinda guy that would break up with a girl if she didn't send you a goodnight text

livingby3's
02-26-2015, 06:42 AM
I hope so. Maybe my Suns can catch them

no pun intended
02-26-2015, 06:43 AM
It's k. By your logic, they will win next year then :rockon:

Magic731
02-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Playoffs.

Pop understands his team, he knows their limits. It's about building the right habits, staying the course, and making it to the playoffs healthy.

Not saying they'll win it all, but don't be surprised if they give Golden State all they can handle. Why would you lose respect for an old ass team like the Spurs? Duncan is 40 years old, Manu and Parker look like grandpas, and they have a bunch of over-achieving role players. They're not supposed to repeat.
This is a cop out. I find it quite funny that people think when the playoffs roll around the Spurs will be able to just turn it on and steamroll anyone in front of them.

Odinn
02-26-2015, 10:37 AM
2000; Duncan goes down
2004; Fisher's miraculous shot.
2006; Ginobili's idiotic foul
2008; It was lile 1987 Celtics. Only the trio, no bench utilization any more.

2015; Parker's decline is certainly disgusting, even more annoying since Duncan shows not much of a decline while he's just a couple of months shy from his 39.

Viriilink
02-26-2015, 11:01 AM
The only Spurs who have played like defending champions all season long are Duncan and Joseph.

Almost everyone else has regressed; half of them don't care and the other half are out of shape.

Embarrassing that a man pushing 40 is giving the most effort...being the team's best player.

There is no excuse. We're not a good team right now.

Why are you so soft on Joseph? Is this post based off your players' expectations? If so, Duncan, Green, and Joseph are the only players playing like defending champions. Based on productions, I would say Ginobili, Leonard, and maybe Splitter been better than Joseph as well. Expectations on Corey Joseph is incredibly low because you don't expect any offensive production and hope he plays solid D. Nonetheless, his defense still get wrecked by any player with a decent offensive game.

The biggest letdowns are Diaw and Parker.

Diaw have been absolutely horrible. His defense is horrible, not shooting three well, not aggressive enough, and mentally shook. In my opinion, Bonner should get some of his playing time. Bonner fundamentally plays better defense, shoots the three better, about as aggressive, and doesn't look mentally shook. He's like the Corey Joseph of our PF spot.

Tony Parker looks out of it. If he played like last year, then everything would be fine. There would be games he could carry the team. I don't know who looks worse, Lin at beginning of season, or Parker now.

Manu's own offensive game been bad this year, but he's still providing play-making. Without his play-making, I think we would be under .500 right now.

Danny Green been playing ok this year. His 3P% is down, but I expect that has to do with team's offensive problems because he can't create anything for himself. Still plays pretty good defense.

Marco Bellinelli is who I expected him to be. Just another Gary Neal, streaky offensive player and bad defense. I shake my head whenever I see him trying to create his own shot.

Kawhi Leonard was pretty good in beginning of season. He's playing a lot worse now. Struggling offensively and defense is down a little compare to earlier in season. I swear the offense was much better when he was out.

Patty Mills not providing any spark like last year and Splitter is hurt.

GreggPopazit
02-26-2015, 11:04 AM
5 championships isn't good enough for you huh? Ok bub.

T_L_P
02-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Why are you so soft on Joseph? Is this post based off your players' expectations? If so, Duncan, Green, and Joseph are the only players playing like defending champions. Based on productions, I would say Ginobili, Leonard, and maybe Splitter been better than Joseph as well. Expectations on Corey Joseph is incredibly low because you don't expect any offensive production and hope he plays solid D. Nonetheless, his defense still get wrecked by any player with a decent offensive game.

The biggest letdowns are Diaw and Parker.

Diaw have been absolutely horrible. His defense is horrible, not shooting three well, not aggressive enough, and mentally shook. In my opinion, Bonner should get some of his playing time. Bonner fundamentally plays better defense, shoots the three better, about as aggressive, and doesn't look mentally shook. He's like the Corey Joseph of our PF spot.

Tony Parker looks out of it. If he played like last year, then everything would be fine. There would be games he could carry the team. I don't know who looks worse, Lin at beginning of season, or Parker now.

Manu's own offensive game been bad this year, but he's still providing play-making. Without his play-making, I think we would be under .500 right now.

Danny Green been playing ok this year. His 3P% is down, but I expect that has to do with team's offensive problems because he can't create anything for himself. Still plays pretty good defense.

Marco Bellinelli is who I expected him to be. Just another Gary Neal, streaky offensive player and bad defense. I shake my head whenever I see him trying to create his own shot.

Kawhi Leonard was pretty good in beginning of season. He's playing a lot worse now. Struggling offensively and defense is down a little compare to earlier in season. I swear the offense was much better when he was out.

Patty Mills not providing any spark like last year and Splitter is hurt.

Joseph has minimal talent. And he's using every bit of it well. Playing with hustle, trying to run the system and play defense...Pop said back in December that he's saving this team...and he was right. Of course Manu, Kawhi, Danny, Duncan all impact the game more...but I can't get on a guy who simply doesn't have the skills, as long as he's laying it all out there (which is why I actually like Jeff Ayres...he's a terrible basketball player but he works hard and focuses on what he can do). So yes, it's based on expectations...not production.

Danny is a close call. He does get a little too lazy on defense at times and he makes some low IQ mistakes...but I really should have put him there with Tim and Joseph...Pop chews him out for the smallest things yet he still plays to win, almost every night. :cheers:

I'm most impressed with Duncan, Cory and Green. Then it's Baynes and Manu. I'm still a little on the fence with Tiago (he's gone soft again), Kawhi (not playing smart on offense at times), Patty and Marco. The disappointments have been Diaw and Parker (absolutely horrible play from both of them, and they are both out of shape).

Optimus Prime
02-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Many of their key players are old and have a lot of miles on their legs. They make deep playoff runs almost every year. They're still the 7th seed in a brutal Western Conference. "Losing respect?" :wtf:

Plus the Spurs don't repeat. Everyone knows this.

:kobe:

greatest-ever
02-26-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm very much enjoying the downfall of the Spurs. I hope Gsw or Memphis beats them in 4 or 5 in the playoffs, and going off the way they're playing now it's very possible. And i don't want to hear that they will turn it on in the playoffs, if you're playing crappy ball in late feburary/early March then you're in trouble.

Spurs have no shot against Gsw, they have a better shot against Grizz.

huskerdu
02-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Worth it for the fifth title even if the Spurs crash and burn this year.

At least it finally ended the Duncan >>>> Kobe debate.

As for Spurs never repeating, neither did Bird's Celtics and they're still considered an all time great team.

2014 Spurs were one of the most impressive teams in playoff history.

Budadiiii
04-01-2015, 01:50 PM
This is a cop out. I find it quite funny that people think when the playoffs roll around the Spurs will be able to just turn it on and steamroll anyone in front of them.
We'll see.

gts
04-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Spurs went 13-3 for the month of March...

you'd think after all these years folks would learn not to count the Spurs out of it at least until the end of the season :lol

Akrazotile
04-01-2015, 02:20 PM
You sound like the kinda guy that would break up with a girl if she didn't send you a goodnight text

:roll:

TimmyDuncan
04-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Plus the Spurs don't repeat. Everyone knows this.

:kobe:

Spurs only win on odd-numbered years. Everyone knows this.

Oh wait...

rmt
04-01-2015, 04:59 PM
Don't think the Spurs are losing any sleep over you losing respect for them. Doesn't it occur to you that it's difficult to win even one championship much less 5 and to maintain consistent excellence over an 18 year period?