PDA

View Full Version : Kobe " I tried teaching Dwight" how to win a Championship, but he Beta

imnew09
02-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Source (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/26/8116095/kobe-bryant-dwight-howard-lakers)

"I tried teaching Dwight. I tried showing him. But the reality is that when you have a perception of what it is to win a championship - and most perceptions of what it's like to win are a very outgoing, very gregarious locker room where you pick each other up and you're friends all the time. That's the perception. And I think that's what his perception was of what the idea is. But when he saw the reality of it, it made him uncomfortable. And it's very tough to be able to fight through that, to deal with that challenge. And I don't think he was willing to deal with that uncomfortable and combative nature"

Too soft

christian1923
02-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Damn, the truth is out.:lol

Foster5k
02-26-2015, 06:00 PM
Dwight: "Kobe, can we be friends?"

Kobe: "Where are your post moves? Why hasn't your free throw percentage improved? I need more on defense. You learning how to shoot threes at a high percentage yet?

Dwight: "But, Kobe..."

Kobe: "You soft like charmin!"

Dwight: "That's it! I'm going to Houston!"

Kobe: "YOU SOFT BRO! YOU SOFT!"

Bigsmoke
02-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Dwight is declining anyway

lilteapot
02-26-2015, 06:03 PM
Dwight: "Kobe, can we be friends?"

Kobe: "Where are your post moves? Why hasn't your free throw percentage improved? I need more on defense. You learning how to shoot threes at a high percentage yet?

Dwight: "But, Kobe..."

Kobe: "You soft like charmin!"

Dwight: "That's it! I'm going to Houston!"

Kobe: "YOU SOFT BRO! YOU SOFT!"

Dude, you make one of these posts in every thread and they're never funny. Should consider stopping

Fire Colangelo
02-26-2015, 06:05 PM
Kobe's right to some extend. You've got to be competitive, you need people in the locker room that are gonna get you fired up, that are gonna push you to be better.

Doesn't mean you can't be friends though, LeBron and Wade are good friends and you can bet that they're screaming at each other to work on their game and get better every day. Dwight, just doesn't have that demeanour. He wants everybody to be supportive of each other, he wants to have fun on and off the court, and that's just not how reality works.

Every championship had that guy that's gonna be in your ears if you ****ed up. Kobe, KG, LeBron/Wade, etc. Even guys like Dirk are extremely verbal on the court.

Dwight is fine as a 2nd/3rd option, but no way in hell can he be the leader of a team.

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 06:07 PM
I don't think Kobe could teach D12 anything. Kobe's never been a DPOY. He's never had to protect the paint for his team. He's never had to generate all of the shots for his team. He hasn't had to be his team's everything. All he had to do was score for his teams.

I think if the Magic had been able to put better talent around D12, he'd have a ring by now. Shit he lead them to the Finals. That means something. He just lost to a better team.

IncarceratedBob
02-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Dwights just a softy who will be forgotten two years after he retires. He hasn't accomplished anything real and nobody in the media or even other NBA players like him. He's a joke

Smoke117
02-26-2015, 06:09 PM
I don't think Kobe could teach D12 anything. Kobe's never been a DPOY. He's never had to protect the paint for his team. He's never had to generate all of the shots for his team. He hasn't had to be his team's everything. All he had to do was score for his teams.

I think if the Magic had been able to put better talent around D12, he'd have a ring by now. Shit he lead them to the Finals. That means something. He just lost to a better team.

http://img.pandawhale.com/42609-Grumpy-Cat-clapping-gif--Panda-aCZN.gif

Thunderfan86
02-26-2015, 06:12 PM
I still don't like Kobe Bryant

imnew09
02-26-2015, 06:15 PM

Kobe's post game is miles ahead of Dwight's post game. You already made yourself a dumb a$$ with the opening sentence, I have no further arguments for you...

HurricaneKid
02-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Source (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/26/8116095/kobe-bryant-dwight-howard-lakers)

"I tried teaching Dwight. I tried showing him. But the reality is that when you have a perception of what it is to win a championship - and most perceptions of what it's like to win are a very outgoing, very gregarious locker room where you pick each other up and you're friends all the time. That's the perception. And I think that's what his perception was of what the idea is. But when he saw the reality of it, it made him uncomfortable. And it's very tough to be able to fight through that, to deal with that challenge. And I don't think he was willing to deal with that uncomfortable and combative nature"

Too soft

You have to call Mitch and make him surround you with the best front court in basketball year in and year out?

outbreak
02-26-2015, 06:16 PM

If the magic fired Otis earlier maybe Howard would have his ring. The ownership never had a problem spending money and making moves it's just that Otis kept going after players he had a history with who were past their primes and then tried to follow Dwight's list later on which was terrible. He made some of the worst moves and a lot of knee jerk ones too that just made no sense.

Cold soul
02-26-2015, 06:17 PM
Dwight Howard is soft as tissue paper you'll never win a ring with him as the man. He just doesn't have "it" not a franchise player.

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Kobe's post game is miles ahead of Dwight's post game. You already made yourself a dumb a$$ with the opening sentence, I have no further arguments for you...

D12 worked more with Hakeem than Kobe did. 2011 D12 showed a lot of promise. His post game has never been thorough, but after working with Hakeem it got better. He had a few go to moves. Not the best looking, but they were effective. I'm sure you didn't see that though. Again I'll say, Kobe wouldn't be able to teach him anything other than take jumpers and wait for 1 of your 2 seven footers to get the rebound.

YouGotServed
02-26-2015, 06:19 PM

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-26056-Antonio-Banderas-reaction-gif-RNWc.gif

Straight_Ballin
02-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Dude, you make one of these posts in every thread and they're never funny. Should consider stopping

It's not meant to be funny. it's probably not that far off from the actual conversation.

GreggPopazit
02-26-2015, 06:46 PM
I don't think we needed Kobe to say this for everybody to know it was true.

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 07:19 PM
To the poster that said 5x champs are by accident, I didn't say they were an accident. I said that I didn't think a perimeter player that had the luxury of playing alongside the most dominant player in the history of the nba for 3 of his team's championships and the 2 quality 7 footers that got all the rebounds and protected the paint and could score on their own, could teach Dwight anything. Their roles on their teams were completely different.

L8krH8tr
02-26-2015, 07:20 PM
nobody wants to play with Kobes selfish ass anymore, it took paying Phil Jackson 10Million a year to control his selfish ass.

Smoke117
02-26-2015, 07:22 PM

Because shooting guards and Centers play really similar...

Kobe was going to teach dwight how to shoot mid range turn arounds with two hands in his face? Stupid ****ing child.

ILLsmak
02-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Kobe's right to some extend. You've got to be competitive, you need people in the locker room that are gonna get you fired up, that are gonna push you to be better.

Doesn't mean you can't be friends though, LeBron and Wade are good friends and you can bet that they're screaming at each other to work on their game and get better every day. Dwight, just doesn't have that demeanour. He wants everybody to be supportive of each other, he wants to have fun on and off the court, and that's just not how reality works.

Every championship had that guy that's gonna be in your ears if you ****ed up. Kobe, KG, LeBron/Wade, etc. Even guys like Dirk are extremely verbal on the court.

Dwight is fine as a 2nd/3rd option, but no way in hell can he be the leader of a team.

Yeah or duncan... the idea that you have to be a dickwad to be successful is not true. lol. In fact someone could argue another person (like Fisher or Phil) smoothed shit over during Kobe's wins.

Kobe isn't really that kind of leader, either. For a different reason, tho...

-Smak

Hey Yo
02-26-2015, 07:25 PM
http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/50eb37d6eab8ea9a0900000f-620-/kobe-bryant-tweet.jpg

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2015, 09:21 PM
To the poster that said 5x champs are by accident, I didn't say they were an accident. I said that I didn't think a perimeter player that had the luxury of playing alongside the most dominant player in the history of the nba for 3 of his team's championships and the 2 quality 7 footers that got all the rebounds and protected the paint and could score on their own, could teach Dwight anything. Their roles on their teams were completely different.

Pau and Bynum COMBINED 2009 PLAYOFFS = 24ppg 14rpg 2.5 apg, 3bpg, 1spg

Kobe Bryant 2009 playoffs = 30ppg 6rpg 5apg 1bpg 2 spg

:roll: :roll:

longtime lurker
02-26-2015, 09:37 PM

So you don't think a 5 time champion and MVP can teach Dwight not even one thing about what it takes to win a championship? :facepalm Have you ever played sports or even done anything that didn't involve sitting on your ass posting from the internet? You want to dislike Kobe and defend Dwight so much that you post the most ridiculous comments.

Smoke117
02-26-2015, 09:43 PM

Combining Pau's and Bynums stats...really? Stay losing, kobe stans.

sportjames23
02-26-2015, 10:00 PM

http://smashboards.com/attachments/salt-gif.37142/

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Combining Pau's and Bynums stats...really? Stay losing, kobe stans.

these two 7 footers who supposedely carried Kobe couldn't COMBINE to have better numbers than Kobe during the playoffs

hold this L hater

Smoke117
02-26-2015, 10:04 PM
these two 7 footers who supposedely carried Kobe couldn't COMBINE to have better numbers than Kobe during the playoffs

hold this L hater

Yeah, because I'm the one combining Gasol's great run with Bynums nothing contribution. You are such a tiresome bitch.

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Yeah, because I'm the one combining Gasol's great run with Bynums nothing contribution. You are such a tiresome bitch.

do you ever get tired of being so salty :roll: :roll:

the guy i was responding to was acting like Kobe was carried by these "2 great 7 footers"

and putting up 18 & 10 is pretty basic for good power forwards, nothing extraordinary about that. K Love is putting up 17 & 10 as the 3rd option on the Cavs and still gets hated on

stay mad homo

Smoke117
02-26-2015, 10:39 PM

the guy i was responding to was acting like Kobe was carried by these "2 great 7 footers"

and putting up 18 & 10 is pretty basic for good power forwards, nothing extraordinary about that. K Love is putting up 17 & 10 as the 3rd option on the Cavs and still gets hated on

stay mad homo

Stay responding with the intelligence of an orangutan.

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2015, 10:42 PM
Stay responding with the intelligence of an orangutan.

stay an orangutan

Cold soul
02-26-2015, 10:47 PM
So you don't think a 5 time champion and MVP can teach Dwight not even one thing about what it takes to win a championship? :facepalm Have you ever played sports or even done anything that didn't involve sitting on your ass posting from the internet? You want to dislike Kobe and defend Dwight so much that you post the most ridiculous comments.

Haha just ignore the keyboard warrior loser. As saying goes the more successful you are in any aspect of life the more people dislike you this is a fact of life jealously and envy can be bitch sometimes.

Showtime2001
02-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Kobe = Career winner

Dwight = Career loser

its really that simple you can't teach losers.

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 11:07 PM

None of that disputes anything I said. It was more than just the playoffs fyi. There's an entire season or 2 or 3.

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 11:12 PM

I don't think Kobe could teach him anything. They have nothing in common. Other than being the leaders of their respective teams at the time. A SG can't teach a center anything. You say it's hate, for whatever reason, but it's facts. I'm not saying anything negative about kobe. Not diminishing anything he's done. Show me if I ever have.
Your bitch ass posts on here waaaaaaaay more than I do I'm sure. I hoop you loser. You live through ISH while I'm on somebody's court balling. Stay in your lane peasant.

outbreak
02-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Kobe = Career winner

Dwight = Career loser

its really that simple you can't teach losers.

Not really though. Dwight's Orlando teams didn't lose because of him, they lost because he was the only real star. One more big-medium piece and history could be different for him. After his injuries though he has never been the same. I hate Dwight and think he's one of the biggest dickheads in the league as a person but people seem to forget how great he used to be. The people saying he is soft and lacked any aggressive must have never watched him in Orlando either, he used to chew people out and he used to be aggressive at times. Just because someone smiles a lot doesn't mean they don't have the drive.

IGOTGAME
02-26-2015, 11:17 PM
Not really though. Dwight's Orlando teams didn't lose because of him, they lost because he was the only real star. One more big-medium piece and history could be different for him. After his injuries though he has never been the same. I hate Dwight and think he's one of the biggest dickheads in the league as a person but people seem to forget how great he used to be. The people saying he is soft and lacked any aggressive must have never watched him in Orlando either, he used to chew people out and he used to be aggressive at times. Just because someone smiles a lot doesn't mean they don't have the drive.

I agree with people forgetting how good he was in Orlando. But, mentally he was always fragile and soft. I think prime Howard at one time was the second best player in basketball and better than anyone not named Lebron playing basketball today.

outbreak
02-26-2015, 11:23 PM
I agree with people forgetting how good he was in Orlando. But, mentally he was always fragile and soft. I think prime Howard at one time was the second best player in basketball and better than anyone not named Lebron playing basketball today.
He wasn't a leader but I don't think he was mentally soft.

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 11:25 PM

stay mad homo

I'm confused. Where the hell did you see me say, kobe was carried by these "2 great 7 footers"? I said they were quality because they were. I said all Kobe had to do was score. You people ruin this board for real fans man.

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2015, 11:29 PM
I'm confused. Where the hell did you see me say, kobe was carried by these "2 great 7 footers"? I said they were quality because they were. I said all Kobe had to do was score. You people ruin this board for real fans man.

you say shit like this and then expect to be taken seriously?

:biggums: :biggums:

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 11:35 PM
you say shit like this and then expect to be taken seriously?

:biggums: :biggums:

Gasol and Bynum could score on their own. Kobe didn't have to set the table for them. Kobe didn't have to be a defensive force because there were 2 7 footers protecting the paint. They didn't have to get blocks. Their length alone made scoring in the paint difficult. I'm not saying Kobe didn't play defense. I guess you could say kobe had to create for artest and fisher and ariza. He could have very well just dumped it down in the post. They were quality bigs. If you don't agree then that's your opinion. If you wanna be a bitch about it and insult me then bitch ***** **** you. If you want to be a man about it and continue our discussion like adults, then I'm all for it.

longtime lurker
02-26-2015, 11:42 PM
I don't think Kobe could teach him anything. They have nothing in common. Other than being the leaders of their respective teams at the time. A SG can't teach a center anything. You say it's hate, for whatever reason, but it's facts. I'm not saying anything negative about kobe. Not diminishing anything he's done. Show me if I ever have.
Your bitch ass posts on here waaaaaaaay more than I do I'm sure. I hoop you loser. You live through ISH while I'm on somebody's court balling. Stay in your lane peasant.

Wow what a stupid response. That's like saying Kareem couldn't teach Curry anything because they play different positions. There's a lot that goes into winning a championship than strictly on the course stuff, I guess you wouldn't know that hooping the back yard with your little sister. Anyone who's ever tried to get better at anything would get advice and tips from people who are successful. But hey keep making excuses for why Dwight's a loser. You're obviously trying to make up for your insignificance by calling people peasants, you aren't a damn King! Just some goofy loser posting from his parents basement. No wonder you identify with Dwight.

TheMarkMadsen
02-26-2015, 11:46 PM
Gasol and Bynum could score on their own. Kobe didn't have to set the table for them. Kobe didn't have to be a defensive force because there were 2 7 footers protecting the paint. They didn't have to get blocks. Their length alone made scoring in the paint difficult. I'm not saying Kobe didn't play defense. I guess you could say kobe had to create for artest and fisher and ariza. He could have very well just dumped it down in the post. They were quality bigs. If you don't agree then that's your opinion. If you wanna be a bitch about it and insult me then bitch ***** **** you. If you want to be a man about it and continue our discussion like adults, then I'm all for it.

man did you even watch the Lakers?

bolded is just cringe worthy stuff, they ran the triangle through Kobe mostly out of the post, mid range isolation.

Kobe was tremendous at creating for his big men on the drive

why are you trying to lump in Bynum as somebody who create for himself in the post, because during those 2 runs he clearly could not do this. He barely played 25 minutes per game.

Odom did more than Bynum could ever imagine doing for the Lakers, and Odoms game wasn't predicated on being in the post. So if you want to prop up the bigs due to your massive Kobe hate, then go with Odom..

but getting 18 & 10 and 12 & 9 out of your two best players isn't anything extraordinary, to act like Kobe was just a scorer is ridiculous

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 11:49 PM

bolded is just cringe worthy stuff, they ran the triangle through Kobe mostly out of the post, mid range isolation.

why are you trying to lump in Bynum as somebody who create for himself in the post, because during those 2 runs he clearly could not do this. He barely played 25 minutes per game.

Odom did more than Bynum could ever imagine doing for the Lakers, and Odoms game wasn't predicated on being in the post.

When Bynum was healthy he was the best back to the basket post player in the nba. I'm not just counting the years they won championships.

supernova5912
02-26-2015, 11:50 PM

Well, here's a fun fact - During the championship years, 57.1% of Gasol's field goal and 60.8% of Bynum's field goals were assisted. Another fun fact - Kobe was the best passer and was the main facilitator on that Lakers team. Sure, Gasol could score on his own and Bynum did too a couple years later. They still mostly relied on Kobe to draw double teams, drive into the lane, and get them easy buckets a lot, which is why Gasol was assisted a lot more on the Lakers than on the Grizzlies.

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 11:52 PM
Wow what a stupid response. That's like saying Kareem couldn't teach Curry anything because they play different positions. There's a lot that goes into winning a championship than strictly on the course stuff, I guess you wouldn't know that hooping the back yard with your little sister. Anyone who's ever tried to get better at anything would get advice and tips from people who are successful. But hey keep making excuses for why Dwight's a loser. You're obviously trying to make up for your insignificance by calling people peasants, you aren't a damn King! Just some goofy loser posting from his parents basement. No wonder you identify with Dwight.

D12 carried his team to the Finals. There's nothing Kobe could have taught him. All that other shit you talking, miss me with it bitch *****. You are a peasant though. You don't know shit about me, but your hoe ass running your dick suckers about me. I'm a grown ass man *****. Married with kids. And I hoop. You post on a ****ing message board waaaaaaay more than I do. I'm sure you post other places as well. Instead of riding dick, ***** get off the computer and do something with your life.

Mr Exlax
02-26-2015, 11:53 PM
Well, here's a fun fact - During the championship years, 57.1% of Gasol's field goal and 60.8% of Bynum's field goals were assisted. Another fun fact - Kobe was the best passer and was the main facilitator on that Lakers team. Sure, Gasol could score on his own and Bynum did too a couple years later. They still mostly relied on Kobe to draw double teams, drive into the lane, and get them easy buckets a lot, which is why Gasol was assisted a lot more on the Lakers than on the Grizzlies.

Cool beans. The only thing is that I'm not talking strictly about the championship runs.

Batzboy
02-26-2015, 11:54 PM
D12 worked more with Hakeem than Kobe did. 2011 D12 showed a lot of promise. His post game has never been thorough, but after working with Hakeem it got better. He had a few go to moves. Not the best looking, but they were effective. I'm sure you didn't see that though. Again I'll say, Kobe wouldn't be able to teach him anything other than take jumpers and wait for 1 of your 2 seven footers to get the rebound.
Dwight gained nothing from Hakeem. All he really learned from him was "to be more free on the court". Which just translated into more pure idiocy on the offensive end.

His defensive efforts get a pass now, especially in LA dealing with all those injuries. But wow, an effective and consistent offensive threat is and was never one of Howard's resume highlights. Bryant on the other hand showed significant improvement in the post after his sessions with Hakeem (he was already really good to begin with), and is/was in the conversation for the best post-workers.

Yeah his shot-selection is ass, like total shit-covered ass, but the man can work it in the post really like no other today. Dwight still struggles on the basics.

supernova5912
02-26-2015, 11:58 PM
When Bynum was healthy he was the best back to the basket post player in the nba. I'm not just counting the years they won championships.

He had one season of averaging over 15 points per game and was always a role player in the playoffs until 2011 when Gasol put up role player numbers.
:wtf:

Mr Exlax
Dwight gained nothing from Hakeem. All he really learned from him was "to be more free on the court". Which just translated into more pure idiocy on the offensive end.

His defensive efforts get a pass now, especially in LA dealing with all those injuries. But wow, an effective and consistent offensive threat is and was never one of Howard's resume highlights. Bryant on the other hand showed significant improvement in the post after his sessions with Hakeem (he was already really good to begin with), and is/was in the conversation for the best post-workers.

Yeah his shot-selection is ass, like total shit-covered ass, but the man can work it in the post really like no other today. Dwight still struggles on the basics.

Tell the truth and shame the devil. How many Orlando games did you watch after they lost to LA in the Finals? I saw a great deal of improvement after he worked with Hakeem. Like I said, his moves weren't the best looking and he didn't have a vast array, but he had some that were highly effective for him. Then the following year he got a little better but then the back injury happened.

Smoke117

Odom did more than Bynum could ever imagine doing for the Lakers, and Odoms game wasn't predicated on being in the post. So if you want to prop up the bigs due to your massive Kobe hate, then go with Odom..

but getting 18 & 10 and 12 & 9 out of your two best players isn't anything extraordinary, to act like Kobe was just a scorer is ridiculous

Breaking: Kobe carried two of the best post players of the last 10 years offensively. Set everything up for them. :yaohappy:

Mr Exlax
02-27-2015, 12:00 AM
He had one season of averaging over 15 points per game and was always a role player in the playoffs until 2011 when Gasol put up role player numbers.
:wtf:

That would be because he had Kobe shooting what like 25 times a game and then he had to share the block with another quality scoring big in Gasol. Yall aren't gonna diminish the talent that front court had. I won't let you do that. It doesn't change Kobe's greatness or legacy.

outbreak
02-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Tell the truth and shame the devil. How many Orlando games did you watch after they lost to LA in the Finals? I saw a great deal of improvement after he worked with Hakeem. Like I said, his moves weren't the best looking and he didn't have a vast array, but he had some that were highly effective for him. Then the following year he got a little better but then the back injury happened.

His last 2 seasons on Orlando he was showing signs of a new post game. He never relied on finesse though he just had so much power.

Saying he was never an effective and consistent offensive threat is just admitting that someone didn't watch him in his prime :facepalm

supernova5912
02-27-2015, 12:02 AM
Cool beans. The only thing is that I'm not talking strictly about the championship runs.

The percentages increase actually until Kobe gets injured. Gasol has 60.0% and Bynum has 62.4% of their field goals being assisted from 2008-13. You don't know what you're talking about.

outbreak
02-27-2015, 12:03 AM
Breaking: Cripplebe carried two of the best post players of the last 10 years offensively. Set everything up for them. :yaohappy:

Of course he did, it's not like his big men had averaged 20ppg on teams before joining the lakers...... :oldlol:

Mr Exlax
02-27-2015, 12:04 AM
His last 2 seasons on Orlando he was showing signs of a new post game. He never relied on finesse though he just had so much power.

Saying he was never an effective and consistent offensive threat is just admitting that someone didn't watch him in his prime :facepalm

Thank you. This guy gets it. There was a reason damn near every team doubled him as soon as he got the ball. Opposing coaches knew he was a force.

Mr Exlax
02-27-2015, 12:06 AM
The percentages increase actually until Kobe gets injured. Gasol has 60.0% and Bynum has 62.4% of their field goals being assisted from 2008-13. You don't know what you're talking about.

What I'm saying is that they didn't need to be. They could score on their own if be would have just dumped the ball down and let them abuse their defenders in the post like they consistently did at the end. Kobe always had the ball. I imagine most of their touches had to go through him.

Batzboy
02-27-2015, 12:09 AM
Breaking: Cripplebe carried two of the best post players of the last 10 years offensively. Set everything up for them. :yaohappy:
Pau and Bynum best post players of the last 10 years?

I understand Pau, but Bynum? I was one of the bigger Bynum fans back then - and Bynum was a phenomenal post worker, but his belief in collapsing the D and not passing left him slightly less ineffective than you'd imagine. Almost as Bryant's shot selection the past two years.

Not to mention that during the Lakers three year finals runs Bynum was barely an offensive option. Although was a stud in the years after.

Gasol didn't score that much in the post during, but his passing ability, as well as his post-offense ability made him and Kobe the awesome duo they were. They played off each other so well, and it's no surprise they both ended up with two NBA Championships. Without Gasol the Triangle was at times a pain to watch.

He provided a major shift. In the playoffs when the Lakers abandoned the Triangle more often and went more "Kobe" ball - no way would it have been as effective with any other guy settings those picks for Bryant than Pau Gasol.

:durantunimpressed:

I was a huge Dwight Howard fan during his tenure in Orlando. I watched pretty much the most of it. :oldlol: I was hoping Lakers would find a way to land Howard before and after the '08 playoffs. I'm a sucker for bigmen. Hence why I was also a Andrew Bynum enthusiast.

I say we agree to disagree since this is not going anywhere. I see Howard in Houston and I see very little improvement from what I saw when he was a Magic. Diminutive really - especially when you consider he trained with someone such as the likes of Hakeem Olajuwon.

You believe otherwise, that's cool I guess.

Smoke117
02-27-2015, 12:11 AM

I understand Pau, but Bynum? I was one of the bigger Bynum fans back then - and Bynum was a phenomenal post worker, but his belief in collapsing the D and not passing left him slightly less ineffective than you'd imagine. Almost as Bryant's shot selection the past two years.

Because I said THE TWO BEST and not..."two of the best". Try some reading comprehension classes, mate.

outbreak
02-27-2015, 12:13 AM
Thank you. This guy gets it. There was a reason damn near every team doubled him as soon as he got the ball. Opposing coaches knew he was a force.

There seems to be a misunderstanding from people who have heard he had a poor post game thinking that means he had no offensive game which just was not the case. He didn't have any pretty footwork but he had the power and speed to get baskets and he added an ugly but semi effective hook shot in his later Orlando years. You are right, most teams doubled him which opened up the perimeter for us because for most teams it was either let Dwight win one on one or take a chance with our streaky shooters. We ended up living and dieing by the three when the play offs came. You could argue part of his dominance was also be due to the lack of real quality centres for a large part of his career too but regardless you can't say he wasn't an effective offensive weapon.

Batzboy
02-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Because I said THE TWO BEST and not..."two of the best". Try some reading comprehension classes, mate.
Wow you get heated real quick, huh?

Chill, mate. Trying to have a basketball discussion.

What I was trying to argue was that Bynum was a solid post worker, one of the best during his short run - but it didn't do much for Bryant. Definitely not in comparison to what Gasol offered.

supernova5912
02-27-2015, 12:20 AM
That would be because he had Kobe shooting what like 25 times a game and then he had to share the block with another quality scoring big in Gasol. Yall aren't gonna diminish the talent that front court had. I won't let you do that. It doesn't change Kobe's greatness or legacy.

Kobe has only averaged over 25 shots once in a season (before the Gasol trade). Bynum was never as good as you claim until his All-Star season. He showed a lot of potential but he was always getting injured, which is why the Lakers didn't rely on him offensively until after the championship seasons when Gasol was shooting very poorly.

Kobe Bryant has always had a well-known frontcourt that was overrated because of the big names. Most casual fans don't realize that Bynum put up 7.4 points and 5.3 rebounds during the championship run, Gasol was incredibly overhyped by the media, and Odom was not much more than a good 6th man.

Mr Exlax
02-27-2015, 12:20 AM

Not to mention that during the Lakers three year finals runs Bynum was barely an offensive option. Although was a stud in the years after.

Gasol didn't score that much in the post during, but his passing ability, as well as his post-offense ability made him and Kobe the awesome duo they were. They played off each other so well, and it's no surprise they both ended up with two NBA Championships. Without Gasol the Triangle was at times a pain to watch.

He provided a major shift. In the playoffs when the Lakers abandoned the Triangle more often and went more "Kobe" ball - no way would it have been as effective with any other guy settings those picks for Bryant than Pau Gasol.

I was a huge Dwight Howard fan during his tenure in Orlando. I watched pretty much the most of it. :oldlol: I was hoping Lakers would find a way to land Howard before and after the '08 playoffs. I'm a sucker for bigmen. Hence why I was also a Andrew Bynum enthusiast.

I say we agree to disagree since this is not going anywhere. I see Howard in Houston and I see very little improvement from what I saw when he was a Magic. Diminutive really - especially when you consider he trained with someone such as the likes of Hakeem Olajuwon.

no no no. I was talking 2011 and 2012. Yeah after the surgery he hasn't been the same. He looks really bad in the post now.

supernova5912
02-27-2015, 12:30 AM
What I'm saying is that they didn't need to be. They could score on their own if be would have just dumped the ball down and let them abuse their defenders in the post like they consistently did at the end. Kobe always had the ball. I imagine most of their touches had to go through him.

Gasol certainly could (but not a majority of the time) but Bynum only did so after the championship years, when Gasol was shooting 42% against David West in the playoffs.

It's funny that you say that, considering both Bynum and Gasol had a 20+% usage rate when on the court, but over half of their makes are assisted (mostly by Kobe). You were saying they didn't need Kobe facilitating, even though Gasol is 0-16 without him in the playoffs and Bynum only had two good seasons.

Mr Exlax
02-27-2015, 12:36 AM
Gasol certainly could (but not a majority of the time) but Bynum only did so after the championship years, when Gasol was shooting 42% against David West in the playoffs.

It's funny that you say that, considering both Bynum and Gasol had a 20+% usage rate when on the court, but over half of their makes are assisted (mostly by Kobe). You were saying they didn't need Kobe facilitating, even though Gasol is 0-16 without him in the playoffs and Bynum only had two good seasons.

David West should have been fairly difficult to score on. He's a tank down there. Gasol started shooting more jumpers and shit so Bynum could have more room to operate.

Gasol's playoff teams weren't all that good if I remember correctly. In Memphis.
Bynums 2 good seasons he looked really really good though. Just needed more fga.

YouGotServed
02-27-2015, 12:45 AM

lmao I smell meltdown

http://i.minus.com/ibovNT1owp74ik.gif

Showtime2001
02-27-2015, 12:51 AM
lmao I smell meltdown

http://i.minus.com/ibovNT1owp74ik.gif
So having a discussion is having a meltdown?

:biggums:

Batzboy
02-27-2015, 01:34 AM
YGS and I are like:

http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/jackie-chan-chris-tucker-rush-hour-dancing.gif

The Iron Sheik
02-27-2015, 02:00 AM

wow. watch the lakers at the end of the 2012-2013 season and tell me Kobe didn't absolutely carry that f*cking team

look at his teams in the mid 2000s. look at the early 2000s lakers when kobe was the only perimeter playmaker and threat.

TheMarkMadsen
02-27-2015, 02:02 AM
wow. watch the lakers at the end of the 2012-2013 season and tell me Kobe didn't absolutely carry that f*cking team

look at his teams in the mid 2000s. look at the early 2000s lakers when kobe was the only perimeter playmaker and threat.

that dude knows nothing, humble him sheik

Mr Feeny
02-27-2015, 02:59 AM

He didn't. A Hollywood jabroni like yourself can't comprehend that a man with Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, and Dwight Howard would do well to just pass the ball once in a while and get the other guys in a ryhthem. Hogging the ball and going for personal stats while sabotaging the most talented team on the planet does not mean you "had to carry it"

Like the Rocket fans said, it's interesting how the Lakers record plummeted once the best front court in the league left the Lakers.

MMM
02-27-2015, 03:31 AM
Howard already did know how to win but his surrounding cast wasn't as good as the Lakers or Celtics of that era. His defense alone would have carried most teams into contender status at his peak. Unfortunately for the Lakers he was coming off surgery.

ImKobe
02-27-2015, 03:36 AM
Kobe loses Finals - goes to the gym and shoots all night

Dwight loses Finals - goes home and listens to Eminem's "Lose Yourself" and cries his eyes out

beta

falc39
02-27-2015, 04:06 AM
Honestly, this is just more of the same from Kobe. He can't accept the fact that even after trying to persuade Dwight to stay that Dwight still left the team. It surely must be Dwight's fault.... right. Are you surprised that he ran off yet another player? This is just his rational so he can keep his same stubborn mindset he has had all his career. There are many aspects of Kobe's game that I like as an individual player but this is not one of them.

el_locoteee
02-27-2015, 05:07 AM
Kobe loses Finals - goes to the gym and shoots all night

I think doing that before the finals is over is a bit more effective.