bagelred
02-28-2015, 10:26 AM
WFAN Sports Radio ‏@WFAN660 4m4 minutes ago
BREAKING NOW: Former Knick Anthony Mason Dead At 48 http://cbsloc.al/1EVLNHa

Bummer

Richesly
02-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Damn.

There is someone I keep confusing him with. Anthony something.... He played for the knicks before he retired like 5 or 4 years ago. He was like their 3rd PG. Can anyone tell me who it was?

D-FENS
02-28-2015, 10:31 AM
That sucks, only 48. RIP Mase.

Lebron23
02-28-2015, 10:38 AM
RIP Mr. Mason

Da_Realist
02-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Horrible news. Jerome Kersey and Anthony Mason -- two guys I grew up watching are now gone too soon. :(

Lebron23
02-28-2015, 10:39 AM
Damn.

There is someone I keep confusing him with. Anthony something.... He played for the knicks before he retired like 5 or 4 years ago. He was like their 3rd PG. Can anyone tell me who it was?

Are you talking about his son Anthony Mason Jr.???

MrC1991
02-28-2015, 10:58 AM
RIP Anthony Mason....rest easy.

the mesiah
02-28-2015, 11:03 AM
RIP Mase, he had the best hair parts/designs in the game back in the day.
http://www.sikids.com/sites/default/files/multimedia/photo_gallery/1204/athletes.carved.hair/images/anthony-mason.jpg

Richesly
02-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Are you talking about his son Anthony Mason Jr.???

Ah, yes.

They also looked so much alike. My condolences to the Mason family.

Im Still Ballin
02-28-2015, 11:09 AM
This post is brought to you by Deathrow Records
http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/Products/500x500/M20/M2002/M2002336.jpg
Tupac Shakur's hot new album 'All Eyez on Me"
Get it when it drops February 13, 1996!

MP.Trey
02-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Bad week or so for former NBA'ers with Kersey, Lloyd and now Mason. Sad news. R.I.P. Mase.

Jud
02-28-2015, 11:14 AM
Too young. RIP

the mesiah
02-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Damn.

U talkn bout Anthony Roberson ,Mason's kid didn't play PG and wasn't with the NYK.

HomieWeMajor
02-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Damn
Rest in Peace homie

Jasper
02-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Karl brought in Mason , in the Cassell , Allen, big dog era...

At that time MAson , was going thru some mind issues , but he helped enforce defense where Big Dog was lacking...

He was obviously and enforcer in the Pat Riley / Gundy era for the Knicks.

the original in all regards prior to Rodman.

RIP big fella

Hey Yo
02-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN 3 minutes ago

Jeff Van Gundy again told the story of the first practice when Mason and Xavier McDaniel got into a fight. "It set the tone for the season."

Former Knick Derek Harper says that "the beauty of Anthony Mason is that he worked himself into becoming an NBA player and an All Star."

Richesly
02-28-2015, 11:48 AM
U talkn bout Anthony Roberson ,Mason's kid didn't play PG and wasn't with the NYK.

Nope, not him, or Anthony Mason Jr. I'll just go look at the Knicks roster in 2010.

Ah, it was Anthony Carter.

Megabox!
02-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Damn dude all of these former athletes and coaches are suddenly dying left and right now, so sad. RIP

imdaman99
02-28-2015, 12:12 PM
:( :( :( Heard this on my way to run an errand and while I was outside I started to cry. He had a lot to do with the 90s Knicks along with Oakley and Starks. His toughness was second to none, I would go to war with him every time even in the modern day era. He could run point forward and wow man his defense!

My favorite moment from him was the year the Bulls went 72-10. The Knicks were struggling, I think it was the year Riley quit and the Knicks got off to a tough start. So the record setting Bulls visiting the Garden, and Van Gundy puts Mason on Jordan. Man, that was such an awesome game. Jordan is the GOAT so of course he got his 30 points, but wow were they all earned. I remember him forcing MJ into countless turnovers and the Knicks crushed the dominating Bulls 104-72. It was the highlight of the season. The Knicks went on to make the playoffs and of course upset their 1st round team and had to play the Bulls in the 2nd round. Knicks lost in 5, I blame the scheduling as they had the audacity to schedule back to back games (Saturday & Sunday) at the Garden essentially ruining any chance of defending the homecourt (they won game 3 and lost a close game 4). My point is, Mason is the guy that could literally guard every position. Maybe not the speedy PG, but he guarded Jordan and he guarded Olajuwon. For goodness sakes in the 94 Finals, it was Mason on Olajuwon as he was too fast for Ewing. He would routinely lock down Pippen and bully him.

Regardless, RIP Mason. You were one of the reasons I loved Basketball. Your heart, your grit, your toughness, your defense. I miss the 90s Knicks more and more everyday knowing they have to go forward led by a pretender like Melo. Will miss you <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZCUCTp7CqE

the mesiah
02-28-2015, 12:15 PM
Nope, not him, or Anthony Mason Jr. I'll just go look at the Knicks roster in 2010.

Ah, it was Anthony Carter.
Aw damn,that's rite ,.traded from nuggets i think..

smoovegittar
02-28-2015, 12:18 PM
A man's man. Tough s.o.b. - he won me over with his work ethic and "statue of Liberty" free throws. Have a lid with his autograph (and a few other teammates) from when the Knicks inspired fear. God bless him and his family; gone too soon.

the mesiah
02-28-2015, 12:34 PM
:( :( :( Heard this on my way to run an errand and while I was outside I started to cry. He had a lot to do with the 90s Knicks along with Oakley and Starks. His toughness was second to none, I would go to war with him every time even in the modern day era. He could run point forward and wow man his defense!

My favorite moment from him was the year the Bulls went 72-10. The Knicks were struggling, I think it was the year Riley quit and the Knicks got off to a tough start. So the record setting Bulls visiting the Garden, and Van Gundy puts Mason on Jordan. Man, that was such an awesome game. Jordan is the GOAT so of course he got his 30 points, but wow were they all earned. I remember him forcing MJ into countless turnovers and the Knicks crushed the dominating Bulls 104-72. It was the highlight of the season. The Knicks went on to make the playoffs and of course upset their 1st round team and had to play the Bulls in the 2nd round. Knicks lost in 5, I blame the scheduling as they had the audacity to schedule back to back games (Saturday & Sunday) at the Garden essentially ruining any chance of defending the homecourt (they won game 3 and lost a close game 4). My point is, Mason is the guy that could literally guard every position. Maybe not the speedy PG, but he guarded Jordan and he guarded Olajuwon. For goodness sakes in the 94 Finals, it was Mason on Olajuwon as he was too fast for Ewing. He would routinely lock down Pippen and bully him.

Regardless, RIP Mason. You were one of the reasons I loved Basketball. Your heart, your grit, your toughness, your defense. I miss the 90s Knicks more and more everyday knowing they have to go forward led by a pretender like Melo. Will miss you <3

Rep'd , good post and cool vid..those 90's knicks was tough.MAse was slick and he had old man's grown game, really slick for a guy his size and to be a lefty.i always liked Mase.

tomtucker
02-28-2015, 12:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQpUhDiTuXQ

Diamond D - Best Kept Secret

:rockon:

mehyaM24
02-28-2015, 12:47 PM
my condolences. mase was one of the key components during the 90s knicks reign - the 92-94 teams were gritty and tough as nails.

FireMcFailPlease
02-28-2015, 12:50 PM
RIP.

he also had one of the unique/ugliest foul shots ive ever seen

Thorpesaurous
02-28-2015, 12:55 PM
Has anyone seen what happened? I remember hearing a few days ago that he wasn't doing well, but I never heard why. Same thing with Kersey. I even looked this morning and still haven't seen any cause of death.

bagelred
02-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Has anyone seen what happened? I remember hearing a few days ago that he wasn't doing well, but I never heard why. Same thing with Kersey. I even looked this morning and still haven't seen any cause of death.

He had a major heart attack in early February and has basically been hanging on in a hospital since then...with multiple surgeries, etc.

WallIn
02-28-2015, 01:13 PM
R.I.P.

What an awful couple of weeks, so many former NBA players leaving this world :(

GreggPopazit
02-28-2015, 01:37 PM
This is sad. I enjoyed watching him on the Knicks back in the day.

ButterFace
02-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Damn, first Kersey and now Mason, both around 50.

Pointguard
02-28-2015, 01:49 PM

Good Post! Yeah Mason in those early years had those quick feet for a guy that was massive. Then you noticed that he really could bring the ball upcourt. You just kept seeing a different aspect of his game every year for the entire Knick run. Lead the league in minutes played his last year here. He evolved into a 16/11/6 and an allstar, all NBA team (3rd), all defensive team, one of the leagues true enforcers and had one of the best all-around games in the league. All of this coming from a third round pick! a local guy that I would see at the supermarket and courts over by the Merrick blvd depot.

In his later years Mason, was one of the most massive players in the league. Only guy I saw that felt like he was as big as Shaq in person - I'm pretty sure his shoulder girth measured bigger than Shaq's. When Mase came into clubs, he was so much bigger than the football players, Lawrence Taylor, plethora of body guards along with Mike Tyson, that it made you go "Wow wtf". When Oakley was with him you felt like some gangster stuff might go down, but they were both real cool guys that were laid back.

Done_And_Done
02-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Loved watching him compete. Dude was a bull. Rest in Paradise...

AirFederer
02-28-2015, 01:50 PM
Great post.
Rest in peace, big man :cry:
Used to love his intensity and all around game. This makes me very sad.

Springsteen
02-28-2015, 02:00 PM
:(

YouGotServed
02-28-2015, 02:04 PM
:( :( :( Heard this on my way to run an errand and while I was outside I started to cry.

:lol :roll:

RIP Mason, tho.

SamuraiSWISH
02-28-2015, 02:12 PM
:(

right after Kersey ... grew up watching these guys. And even if I hated Mason. This is terrible. Cause of death?

Frank Isola ‏@FisolaNYDN 3 minutes ago
When was this from JVG?

ProfessorMurder
02-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Sad news. Tons of players and coaches dying lately... Thorpe, it was a heart issue. Had a heart attack a few weeks ago, died in surgery I guess.

Even though I don't have much Mason in this, here's my gritty Knicks mix. I loved those teams. True competitors and great defenders. They were like football players.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NsbAJgAh7zY

jstern
02-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Really horrible news.

I once knew a guy that looked like Anthony Mason. When I met him I said, "You look like Anthony Mason."

sportjames23
02-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Aw, man. :(

Peaceful Journey, Mase.

SamuraiSWISH
02-28-2015, 02:40 PM
He would routinely lock down Pippen and bully him.
Mase, X, and Oak all took turns bullying Scottie.

They were the only guys post Rodman and the Detroit Bad Boys that could really get to him. And it wasn't just young Pip. They were still getting the best of him even in the '96 ECSF.

They knew if you roughed Scottie up enough physically, he'd get shook. The Bad Boy Pistons, and Riley Knicks knew this. Kind of like the way certain teams, namely the Big 3 Celtics did Gasol. They were inherently passive guys. Betas.

dazzer87
02-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Damn too Young.....

Teanett
02-28-2015, 02:52 PM
fukking hell

one of my favourite players ever.

:cry:

TheMan
02-28-2015, 03:00 PM

Oh I remember that vividly, he had me and other Bulls fan shook :oldlol: I truly hated those Knicks but what great series they were, that's when the NBA played like MEN.

RIP :(

zoom17
02-28-2015, 03:02 PM
Bad week or so for former NBA'ers with Kersey, Lloyd and now Mason. Sad news. R.I.P. Mase.

I was about to post this RIP.

Young X
02-28-2015, 03:04 PM
Damn, RIP.

Budadiiii
02-28-2015, 03:06 PM

RIP Mason, tho.
You must be desensitized to death after seeing most of your family members die of diabetes and heart attacks before they reach 45.

L.Kizzle
02-28-2015, 03:06 PM
I likes Mason. RIP.

JohnnySic
02-28-2015, 03:09 PM
RIP

BasedTom
02-28-2015, 03:58 PM
This year ****ing sucks.

JimmyMcAdocious
02-28-2015, 04:19 PM
Damn. One of my favorite players as a kid.

RIP

Damian Lillard
02-28-2015, 04:46 PM
I know about Kersey more because he was a Blazer, but he and Mason played with 110% effort each night. They did the dirty work and that's what I loved about these two in the 90's.

Angel Face
02-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Damn, one of the toughest players ever. RIP man!

warriorfan
02-28-2015, 09:08 PM
You must be desensitized to death after seeing most of your family members die of diabetes and heart attacks before they reach 45.

u mad bro

Hey Yo
02-28-2015, 09:38 PM
Before tonight's game there was a moment of silence to honor A.M.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B--OChkVAAI3-Yl.jpg:large

JohnFreeman
02-28-2015, 09:55 PM

RIP Mason, tho.
:lol

Done_And_Done
02-28-2015, 09:57 PM
Before tonight's game there was a moment of silence to honor A.M.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B--OChkVAAI3-Yl.jpg:large

This trademark black spheres around his eyes made him all the more intimidating to me.

Elosha
03-01-2015, 12:48 AM
Great, tough player with a finesse game to go along with his power and intimidation. RIP Anthony.

QC ThunderCats
03-01-2015, 02:20 PM
RIP to the toughest point forward in NBA history.

http://i.imgur.com/3xLahKt.jpg

xoracle55
03-01-2015, 03:06 PM
RIP Anthony Mason! 🙏 Gone so soon😢.

You don't have to be a knick fan to appreciate the heart of this guy. Condolence to ha love ones...