PDA

View Full Version : Grantland Hour With Bill Simmons, Kobe and Jalen...

Dro
02-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Anybody else watching this? Live right now on ABC...Great discussion with Kobe, talks about growing up in Italy and how growing up in isolation and then having to leave where he grew up affected him mentally...

Added the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzFYt3K1sqg

Im so nba'd out
02-28-2015, 03:22 PM
Anybody else watching this? Live right now on ABC...Great discussion with Kobe, talks about growing up in Italy and how growing up in isolation and then having to leave where he grew up affected him mentally...
he spent his whole career in isolation lol shit never changes :lol mamba :bowdown:

Taller than CP3
02-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Kobe doesn't even have any friends. All he cares about is Vanessa and their 2 children.

Rose'sACL
02-28-2015, 03:35 PM
I like how he says that he is not the type to leave a team to win when he was ready to leave and asked for a trade on national radio because he played on bad teams for just a couple of seasons. This was after winning 3 rings.
Lakers fans are very intelligent and any minute now one of the many intelligent Lakers fans would post calling his bs.

Dro
02-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Its a good interview, I've got a lot of respect for Kobe. Its hard to understand the mentality you have to be have to be one of the top 10 players of all time. Its easy to judge certain decisions that they make.

Only think I disagree with Kobe is they asked Kobe about staying with 1 team for his entire career and starts using quotes like "the captain has to go down with the ship", etc. It just reminds me of the year where he demanded a trade because the Lakers were so horrible but to be fair, many great players would have done the same thing and actually have done the same thing in that situation.

And to be fair, the Lakers have been bad other years too and Kobe has still stayed and not demanded a trade. Look at him now. He just said he's paying for his stubborness instead of ring chasing. At his age now, the Lakers would probably do him a favor by letting him go to a contender like most players do at this stage, look at Ray Allen only chasing a ring at this point, etc...

Optimus Prime
02-28-2015, 03:43 PM
It's not new; it aired last weekend.

That being said, haters gonna hate.

:kobe:

TheMarkMadsen
02-28-2015, 03:47 PM
I like how he says that he is not the type to leave a team to win when he was ready to leave and asked for a trade on national radio because he played on bad teams for just a couple of seasons. This was after winning 3 rings.
Lakers fans are very intelligent and any minute now one of the many intelligent Lakers fans would post calling his bs.

Huge difference between threatening to leave and actually leaving.

He turned down being traded when the offer was presented.

Not hard to see the difference. But haters gon hate

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
02-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Its a good interview, I've got a lot of respect for Kobe. Its hard to understand the mentality you have to be have to be one of the top 10 players of all time. Its easy to judge certain decisions that they make.

Only think I disagree with Kobe is they asked Kobe about staying with 1 team for his entire career and starts using quotes like "the captain has to go down with the ship", etc. It just reminds me of the year where he demanded a trade because the Lakers were so horrible but to be fair, many great players would have done the same thing and actually have done the same thing in that situation.

I believe it had MORE to do with the turmoil and distrust Kobe had with Laker management. Supposedly there were rumors floating around that one of the upper suits claimed Kobe was the reason for the Shaq trade and subsequent downfall of the team. Stephen A relayed that information to Kobe on air (the interview where he publicly demanded a trade), and the rest was history.

Not saying he handled it correctly, I'm just giving some background to that incident.

Rolando
02-28-2015, 03:56 PM
I applaud Jalen and Bill because they didn't turn the whole thing into an MJ / Kobe discussion. In fact, MJ was only briefly mentioned and it didn't go any further than that.

Nice to hear Kobe's observations. :applause:

Dro
02-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Readers mailbag - "Would you change anything about the way you handled the Dwight Howard situation? Kobe - "No, I learned how to be a leader from Magic and those guys and you have to be ruthless. Before I hand over the keys to this Kingdom, that guy has to have the same DNA". Thats basically what he said. He said he can't be apologetic about that..

Kobe squashed his own trade to Detroit in 2007 for Hamilton, Prince and a lot of draft picks.

They asked Kobe why he only has 1 mvp, he basically said because the media votes on it.......

I can't remember the 2nd question from the mailbag and it was the best one...Maybe some else can help...

Dro
02-28-2015, 03:59 PM
It's not new; it aired last weekend.

That being said, haters gonna hate.

:kobe:
I didn't know. When I saw it on the TV guide, it said a new episode of the Grantland Hour.......

Heavincent
02-28-2015, 04:05 PM

It's hilarious how butthurt you are at all times.

At the end of the day, he stayed and led the team to 2 more titles. Period.

1987_Lakers
02-28-2015, 04:30 PM
The interview is on youtube for those who haven't seen it. From the interview I noticed...

- Kobe is very intelligent, this guy knows basketball like very few others do.
- Kobe is somewhat full of himself at the same time, you can tell by the tone of his voice.
- Anyone else sense some little tension between Kobe & J. Rose? It was weird.

Dro
02-28-2015, 04:31 PM
The interview is on youtube for those who haven't seen it. From the interview I noticed...

- Kobe is somewhat full of himself at the same time, you can tell by the tone of his voice.
Honestly, I didn't sense any tension whatsoever....

sammichoffate
02-28-2015, 04:44 PM

- Anyone else sense some little tension between Kobe & J. Rose? It was weird.It was more between Simmons and Kobe tbh

Rose'sACL
02-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Honestly, I didn't sense any tension whatsoever....
I don't think jalen really likes Kobe or lebron but sucks their dick on TV because he knows that you have to respect great players to be on TV as a basketball analyst. This is why I sensed Kobe did not like it as it came off as fake. Simmons still showed that he doesn't like Kobe too much but isn't a retard either to hate him openly on national TV.
Kobe has enough people who actually like his game. He doesn't need that fake admiration from Jalen rose of all people.

L8krH8tr
02-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Kobe is the ultimate loner. nobody wants to be friends with some selfish egotistical prick.

Done_And_Done
02-28-2015, 04:58 PM

Fun fact - Jalen was one of Kobe's favorite players while coming up

Dro
02-28-2015, 05:02 PM
I don't think jalen really likes Kobe or lebron but sucks their dick on TV because he knows that you have to respect great players to be on TV as a basketball analyst. This is why I sensed Kobe did not like it as it came off as fake. Simmons still showed that he doesn't like Kobe too much but isn't a retard either to hate him openly on national TV.
Kobe has enough people who actually like his game. He doesn't need that fake admiration from Jalen rose of all people.
See, now I did not see it from the beginning I missed maybe the first 10 minutes but I didn't sense any tension whatsoever between anybody...:confusedshrug:

bballnoob1192
02-28-2015, 07:01 PM
if people don't know this already. Kobe would be a nerd/geek if he wasn't a basketball player. listen to him talk about watching game tapes and reading about NBA history for fun. this ***** is an antisocial introvert at heart, he's only engaging cuz he is a superstar/famous sports figure.