PDA

View Full Version : Why couldn't I have been born in the Jordan era?

LBJFTW
03-01-2015, 04:03 PM
I'm always talking to all my friends and teammates and we always ask ourselves and each other what it would have been like growing up watching the GOAT MJ play live, and being able to be a fan of the game at such a young age when MJ was slaying everyone. We were really hoping that Lebron could be the next MJ but the unanimous consensus is that Lebron will never, ever be GOAT because he's already forfeited that opportunity based on his performances in past finals. Man it must have been so good watching MJ dominate everyone and be able to grow up watching the GOAT. I feel cheated that I never got to watch him play live. Hearing all these OG's talk about how sweet it was growing up with Jordan has me very envious. 6/6 perfection! Can you imagine!? Oh well. It is what it is.

beastee
03-01-2015, 04:31 PM
It was incredible. Living in the Chicago area made it even more magical.
People would have parties throughout the entire playoffs. People would stop whatever they were doing to watch the end of games. I remember going to a couple games as a kid and being amazed at the crowds and the support all throughout the city and suburbs. He really was an icon in every sense.

SamuraiSWISH
03-01-2015, 04:36 PM
It was incredible. Living in the Chicago area made it even more magical.
People would have parties throughout the entire playoffs. People would stop whatever they were doing to watch the end of games. I remember going to a couple games as a kid and being amazed at the crowds and the support all throughout the city and suburbs. He really was an icon in every sense.
:applause:

And it wasn't just in Chicago. I moved from Chicago to Dallas when I was 10 ... and there was SO MANY Bulls fan in Texas. All bandwagons. But that's the effect the games greatest, and most aesthetic pleasing player had on fans across the world during the golden age of TV and the booming popularity of the NBA.

Before the cynicism of the internet age in the early 2000s.

K Xerxes
03-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Be happy that you get to watch James, Kobe and Duncan. Also you may live longer than the rest of us and may see the new GOAT. All is not lost yet.

stanlove1111
03-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Actually the 90s were pretty boring. I don't know anyone who was old enough to have watched during the 80s who think the 90s were a big deal. You had Jordan and the rest of the league was boring as hell and even Jordan didn't touch the Bird vs Magic matchup.

DatAsh
03-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Take solace in the fact that you've got longer to live.

warriorfan
03-01-2015, 05:52 PM
you kids aren't worthy

G0ATbe
03-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Actually the 90s were pretty boring. I don't know anyone who was old enough to have watched during the 80s who think the 90s were a big deal. You had Jordan and the rest of the league was boring as hell and even Jordan didn't touch the Bird vs Magic matchup.
This. 90s consisted of 1 super stacked team running over teams with no depth aside from maybe 1 star.

I'd rather watch the 09-10 Lakers with 1 guy carrying his team back to back in a superior era. With Pau Gasoft as the 2nd option.

STATUTORY
03-01-2015, 05:56 PM
you probably would been dead from the combination of AIDS and crack epidemic to be honest

Smoke117
03-01-2015, 05:57 PM

True enough. Expansion really mutilated the competitiveness we had in the 80s more than anything.

Vienceslav
03-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Be thankful you can post on ISH.:banana:

Straight_Ballin
03-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Boring? Look at these gods:

http://www.interbasket.net/players/usa/1992_dream_team.jpg

beastee
03-01-2015, 06:59 PM
True enough. Expansion really mutilated the competitiveness we had in the 80s more than anything.
The first part of the 90s was insane. Late 80s-early 90s was peak.

Height Freak
03-01-2015, 08:06 PM
What would you say was insane about that part you metion?

sportjames23
03-01-2015, 08:31 PM

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Children, you missed out on a glorious era. A time of gods and heroes. A time of legends. Precious few of us here at ISH were so blessed to have witnessed greatness on a nightly basis. I am forever thankful to be privy to such wonders. We shall not see their like again.

comerb
03-01-2015, 08:49 PM
This. 90s consisted of 1 super stacked team running over teams with no depth aside from maybe 1 star.

I'd rather watch the 09-10 Lakers with 1 guy carrying his team back to back in a superior era. With Pau Gasoft as the 2nd option.

The Jazz had two first ballot hall of famers...

Shih508
03-01-2015, 10:06 PM

Did you mean u like watching one guy being carried by Ref and his teammates while building bricks night in and night out in 09-10?

Bay Area Baller
03-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Loved following Jordan's bulls but sadly never got to a live game.
I saw Luke Ridnour in person play once. He was on the Supersonics and put on a show. :pimp:

Westbrook0
03-01-2015, 10:16 PM
I think this is relevant in this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sl2ib2NnXA

Cocaine80s
03-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Be lucky ur daddy never swallowed you

Cold soul
03-01-2015, 10:39 PM
I only started watching MJ for first time around 94-98 when he was at his best well during 2nd three peat. That's why Kobe my favorite NBA player of all-time he was just like MJ play style wise, body type, skills which I give Kobe the slight edge, but MJ was much better natural athlete along with better IQ, leadership just the better version overall. I thought to myself wow could Kobe be as great as MJ himself sadly, it never happened. I still hope sometime in my lifetime I see the new GOAT it will happen eventually. I say this as someone that admires and loves both players. MJ the greatest athlete ever in my opinion not just of basketball world but all sports.

Collie
03-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Not really just MJ, but the games then were really intense for some reason. Like when the Knicks and the Heat went up against each other in the playoffs, you could feel the animosity and it was glorious. The internet was much less widespread then as well, so each game I watched counted, unlike today where I can just watch highlights and fast forward through games.

Cold soul
03-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Not really just MJ, but the games then were really intense for some reason. Like when the Knicks and the Heat went up against each other in the playoffs, you could feel the animosity and it was glorious. The internet was much less widespread then as well, so each game I watched counted, unlike today where I can just watch highlights and fast forward through games.

I think athletes were way more competitive back then they wanted it more and none of this buddy buddy generation of today where everyone wants to be friends. You don't see as many rivalrys anymore which is sad because I miss that also the league was more physical more fun to watch.

warriorfan
03-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Be lucky ur daddy never swallowed you

even luckier that he didnt get shot into your lower intestines

Dro
03-01-2015, 11:28 PM
I think athletes were way more competitive back then they wanted it more and none of this buddy buddy generation of today where everyone wants to be friends. You don't see as many rivalrys anymore which is sad because I miss that also the league was more physical more fun to watch.
Yeah, thats the difference between now and then. These kids want to talk sh*t about the 90's but dudes back then weren't smiling and talking throughout the game, they hated the other team and you could tell the difference when watching the game. Like today's Cavs/Rockets game today. That was a regular atmosphere in the 90's...

It makes those performances greater, yeah Kobe went for 81 but he did it against the Raptors in a game where nobody really cared but him and Jalen. Imagine if he were able to do that against the 90's knicks, hell imagine Jordan doing that against those Knicks...His 50+ point games against them are already considered legendary status.

You didn't miss the Bulls and I'm thankful to live so close that we have WGN and I got see most of the Bulls games. But you saw the difference in certain players when he went up against him, not everybody was scared of him and you looked forward to those matchups. Drexler, Wilkins, Bird, Magic, Reggie, Richmond, Dumars, Moncrief, Starks, Harper, these guys weren't scared of him and tried their best to guard him 1 on 1.

jstern
03-02-2015, 12:20 AM
Watching it on YouTube is not the same as watching it live and not knowing the outcome.

I saw a Celtics game from like 79, and I really wish I was alive in that ERA. (Not literally because then I would be older) Because what I got from that game was that with the less distractions in a person's daily life, that one game was the absolute most important thing in the world. Nothing else matter as they were watching, and the fans and players were getting into fist fights with each other. It was caring time a million.

J Shuttlesworth
03-02-2015, 12:31 AM
I watched the Bulls as a kid, but I wish I was older to be honest. I was born 86, and started watching in the 93 playoffs. I wish I was an adult so I would have had the ability to go watch a Bulls game in person. I've seen most of the players I like to watch in person (Ray, KG, Pierece, LBJ, Kobe, Kyrie, BG, CP3, etc) but there are still others to see live.

At the same time, I'm glad I'm not old enough to have some kind of hate for today's era. Seems like a lot of the older fans/posters here don't really appreciate watching today, because they feel their era is best, or whatever.

ClipperRevival
03-03-2015, 02:47 AM
You had to live it to realize just how popular MJ was at his peak. He was everywhere. Commercials, newspapers, etc. He was without a doubt, the most popular athlete in America. Magic/Bird saved the NBA but MJ took it to another level of popularity. I guess I do feel fortunate to be able have seen the GOAT. To see how it was done at the highest level.

sportjames23
03-03-2015, 03:32 AM
even luckier that he didnt get shot into your lower intestines

Damn. :oldlol:

Bandito
03-03-2015, 06:13 AM
The best years as a NBA fan to be honest. It will never compare.

JohnFreeman
03-03-2015, 06:14 AM
But if you were born in the Jordan era, you wouldn't be old enough too watch?

poido123
03-03-2015, 06:17 AM
The best years as a NBA fan to be honest. It will never compare.

Jordan was just one of many solid players in the NBA at the time.

So many strong personalities and hall of famers.

hihofink
03-03-2015, 11:08 AM
I really enjoyed the early to mid 90s. These were great years as a kid watching basketball.

Before the internet you had to look at the box scores in the newspaper. If it was a late game, you had to wait two days to see a box score. No message boards to discuss basketball. I would memorize point leaders from the newspaper to learn who was playing well. No internet to watch clips. In fact, I didn't have cable, so you would get pumped for NBA on NBC as your only games to watch. Every game meant so much more. Always felt like a superstar was playing.

Now I can DVR a game and watch in 45 minutes skipping over commercials and FT. You can see instant stats and replays. Over analyze everything and see highlight for every game on your phone. You couldn't do that back then. You had your one local paper and SI, and both would idolize Jordan. It made it all that much more glorified.

You would get to see all stars caliber players once a week. So guys like Barkley, Malone, Robinson, they would only be on TV once a month and that was the only time you really got to see them play. It made the all-star game really special - a game with all the stars.

Jordan was made a god not just by dominating but that there were no highlight clips of him flopping or message board posts criticizing him. Instead, you would see his name at the top of the PPG list in the paper, and then also be high in Steals and FG%. For anyone that didn't have cable, the bulls were on TV just as much as your local city, so you felt connected to them.

On top of that, he was just awesome. He would drop 30 points and you wouldn't even realize it. I saw him live a few times. I remember thinking after one game that he wasn't so dominant. Only to find out the next day he had 32 points. He was unstoppable. The phrase "you can only hope to contain" felt so true.

Then again, I was 10 years old. So, it could be that. But it made me love basketball.

f0und
03-03-2015, 11:20 AM
the 90s NBA was a great time. back then it was huge. almost everyone i knew watched the nba. nowadays the popularity is nowhere near it. hardly anyone i know watches the nba. even my old friends who were big fans back in the day hardly keep up with it. it almost seems like its on the fringe of being a niche league. its behind the MLB for crying out loud. how the *uck does that happen? they went through strikes, scandals, streroid abuse controversies, have a major league *ucked up salary cap system, and above all else, is boring as *hit. yet its still more popular than the NBA.

the NBA is still my favorite league and all, but its clearly a much inferior overall product than it was in the 90s. the players, the rules, the mentality, the way the game is played, the bball iq, the competitiveness, etc. all across the board, its a notch below.

Straight_Ballin
03-03-2015, 11:29 AM
I would have to say the most memorable moment watching Jordan live was in the 89 playoffs. It was April 28, 1989, game 1 and everyone was saying how Ehlo was so good at covering Jordan because he could keep him to 30 a game. :lol Well Jordan dropped 31 and the Cavs lost 95-88 but you couldn't hear shit in that arena because it was so loud but I remember it like it was yesterday. 89 was the only year I rooted against Jordan because I really wanted to see the Cavs beat the Bulls.

pauk
03-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Its actually those like you who didnt grow up to watch Jordan who overvalue how great he was when compared to Lebron/Kobe....

If you grew up watching him you would have been forced to watch him game-to-game... instead of just youtube highlights..... hence you would have been forced to see that he was very human, you would have seen every bad game / failure / mishap....

6/6 perfection.... yes, but entire playoffs is important, every series lead to the championship... every series is as important as Finals, any series win in the playoffs lead closer to the championship and any loss retires you from that season.... and MJ lost very many playoffs / series........ many he bricked/choked away or lost due to shot selection/decision making or turnover or travel or defensive mistakes etc.... those games you dont see on youtube or NBA TV....

So its better for you to have grown up here and watch youtube highlights & his highlight games and only his championship playoff runs if you want to build this "PERFECT" image of him as a player.....

MJ was awesome, the GOAT... but he was human.... he was not perfect... thats the side you would have been forced to see in every detail....

ClipperRevival
03-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Its actually those like you who didnt grow up to watch Jordan who overvalue how great he was when compared to Lebron/Kobe....

If you grew up watching him you would have been forced to watch him game-to-game... instead of just youtube highlights..... hence you would have been forced to see that he was very human, you would have seen every bad game / failure / mishap....

6/6 perfection.... yes, but entire playoffs is important, every series lead to the championship... every series is as important as Finals, any series win in the playoffs lead closer to the championship and any loss retires you from that season.... and MJ lost very many playoffs / series........ many he bricked/choked away or lost due to shot selection/decision making or turnover or travel or defensive mistakes etc.... those games you dont see on youtube or NBA TV....

So its better for you to have grown up here and watch youtube highlights & his highlight games and only his championship playoff runs if you want to build this "PERFECT" image of him as a player.....

MJ was awesome, the GOAT... but he was human.... he was not perfect... thats the side you would have been forced to see in every detail....

What's impressive about MJ is that once he found out how to win, he never relinquished his throne. In his last 6 full seasons as a Bull, he won 6 rings. That's sheer dominance right there and it's unbelievable that it was achieved in the modern era.

Yeah, MJ had his lumps early in his career. He couldn't get over the Detroit hump. He didn't play the game the right way and his teammates didn't step up. But when PJ got there and Pippen and Grant started to improve and most importantly, MJ started to play the game the right way, he eventually found the right balance between taking over offensively and getting teammates involved. And like I said, once he found out how to win, no one was able to beat him.

He came, he saw, he conquered. And I don't romanticize what he did. His accomplishments are in black and white. No one had his body of work in the history of the league. Some won more rings, some had more points but his body of work is the most complete and impressive.

Jasper
03-03-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm always talking to all my friends and teammates and we always ask ourselves and each other what it would have been like growing up watching the GOAT MJ play live, and being able to be a fan of the game at such a young age when MJ was slaying everyone. We were really hoping that Lebron could be the next MJ but the unanimous consensus is that Lebron will never, ever be GOAT because he's already forfeited that opportunity based on his performances in past finals. Man it must have been so good watching MJ dominate everyone and be able to grow up watching the GOAT. I feel cheated that I never got to watch him play live. Hearing all these OG's talk about how sweet it was growing up with Jordan has me very envious. 6/6 perfection! Can you imagine!? Oh well. It is what it is.
I have watched ,Wilt, Kareem as well Sleepy eyes floyd, Wes, Pearl, and Clyde....
But I like you would of wished that James would of taken the step.
And that is just it- Jordan is the barometer to GOAT status.

You are right , if Lebron would of won 1-2 more chips it would been something.
Ironically Miami didn't sway him enough for the ultimate prize.
Jordan's era : He had Rodman, Pippon, but he also needed role players and one of the most important players on Jackson's teams was the revolving door of Centers. If Jordan didn't have those clog's in the middle, we might not be talking 6 rings.
So for that example we jump back to Lebron James.
His first finals , was really remarkable. He really didn't have that 3 player team surrounding him ./but role players supporting him. :applause:

I serious believe if they (Miami) would of acquired Bledsoe from the Suns , we would be talking dynasty right now with Miami. We all now D-Wade was fading when Bron joined the Heat , but if the franchise would of been more proactive in trades and promoting their franchise to players , Bron might well of been on the road to multiple chips.
AS it stands, now if he gets 2 more - that will be his career.

If he feels Clevland is failing him , I still think he might jump ship - but odds are low because of his family.

Lebronxrings
03-03-2015, 05:36 PM

:applause: :applause:

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 05:56 PM
I witnessed it, but I wish I was in my 20s to truly appreciate it.

Asukal
03-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Watch this and tell me the intensity of today's games are better. Bran never faced pressure close to the intensity these series were played on. :confusedshrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28y59DjqVvs

Hey Yo
03-03-2015, 08:43 PM

Ref was brought in for that photo shoot and with good reason.

Laettner accidentally touched MJ and was called for the foul.

Dro
03-03-2015, 09:18 PM

Yeah, everybody knows he was human but lets face it, he rarely EVER had a bad game...Like EVER...Yes, he's had bad shooting games, of course. But the point was, he always seemed to make the right play, always. Every single shot he took inside the 3 point line, you thought it was going in. I was surprised every single time he missed a mid range shot honestly, unless the defender got a hand on the ball and just really messed up his shot. There has NEVER been another player I've viewed like that. Even when I watch Curry or Thompson, or Reggie Miller or Ray Allen take 3, I'm not automatically thinking, yeah thats going in. Now Steph is getting close, it feels like he makes every 3 he takes..

The difference with MJ is it never seemed like he made a mistake, and definitely not one that would say, yeah that's why they lost...Normally, when the Bulls lost, it felt like everybodys fault BUT his...Thats not a myth or everybody being in love with MJ like they just love him so much and he can do no wrong. Its more that true fans of the NBA, just the game in general, who grew up in that era, thats just what is. Its MJ and then everybody else, period. I used to think Barkley was one of the greatest players who ever played period when I was watching him. I though Karl Malone was the most unstoppable player outside of Jordan and Shaq that I've ever seen...People are so quick to throw out this "nostalgia" stuff...Oh, its just nostalgia. If that were the case then people would be holding ALL the great players from that era to the same standard. But thats not the case. Hell, I have no problem saying the Lebron is a better player than Malone or Barkley ever were. It just because they aren't on MJ's level. Nobody is as far as I'm concerned...

Round Mound
03-03-2015, 10:04 PM
The 80s Was Even Better and More Competitive Than The 90s. The 90s Was Nike and The Media All Over Jordan`s Pecker. It Was As If There Where No Other Superstars But Him and The Fact He Had The Best SF of The 90s With Him a Better 2nd Option To Any Other Superstar Of That Era Never Mentioned Made My Puke All Over That Era.

The Best Era was 1983-93 By Far!

diamenz
03-03-2015, 11:58 PM
The Best Era was 1983-93 By Far!

agreed.

Rose'sACL
03-04-2015, 12:06 AM
today's era is the best era for a fan just because you can watch any game you want.
80s and 90s wouldn't be as fondly remembered if you could watch every game.