PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird hits 4 game winning/tying shots in one game

Round Mound
03-02-2015, 12:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KBbjOfEjQI

:bowdown: :applause: :rockon: :cheers: :pimp:

JerrySeinfeld
03-02-2015, 12:34 AM
2nd GOAT after Jordan. Don't see how it's even an argument.

He could have played longer if he wanted to but why would he? He had already accomplished all that he needed to in order to be GOAT once he retired.

Im Still Ballin
03-02-2015, 12:35 AM
2nd best SF behind Lebron

Beastmode88
03-02-2015, 12:39 AM
2nd best SF behind Lebron

:facepalm :facepalm bird had to play vs prime magic, kaj and the stacked lakers. Bran played a young batman and alfred and old man duncan while losing to dirk and a bunch of role players.

Alamо
03-02-2015, 12:40 AM
the anti-bron

Joyner82reload
03-02-2015, 01:03 AM
MY-RACULOUS

:facepalm

Mikebball1
03-02-2015, 01:08 AM
bet money lebron ends up with more chips than him

Pushxx
03-02-2015, 01:22 AM
LeBron is a top 10 all-time player now, but let's not compare his success with Bird's considering the 80s Eastern Conference was arguably the most competitive conference in NBA history.

Bird was playing against several of the greatest of all-time. The only all-time greats LeBron played a series against are Dirk, a past-prime Duncan, and an old-ass KG who has shit on LeBron, only losing when KG's team had half the talent and referee aid (or when Wade broke Rondo's elbow).

And we all know what Dirk and Duncan have historically done to LeBron.

Compared to Bird's, LeBron's competition pales in comparison.

JohnFreeman
03-02-2015, 01:23 AM
LeBron is a top 10 all-time player now, but let's not compare his success with Bird's considering the 80s Eastern Conference was arguably the most competitive conference in NBA history.

Bird was playing against several of the greatest of all-time. The only all-time greats LeBron played a series against are Dirk, a past-prime Duncan, and an old-ass KG who has shit on LeBron, only losing when KG's team had half the talent and referee aid.

And we all know what Dirk and Duncan have historically done to LeBron.

Compared to Bird's, LeBron's competition pales in comparison.
Bird had the greatest team in the history of the NBA

Pushxx
03-02-2015, 01:49 AM
Bird had the greatest team in the history of the NBA

The Celtics went from the 2nd worst record in the league (29 wins) to best record (61 wins) just with the SAME TEAM plus Bird. The Celtics were in disarray: Red was halfway to New York, management was struggling, attendance was awful (third worst in the NBA), the team was lost...

No Parish, no McHale...Bird showed his impact right away. He got to the ECF against the 59-win Sixers after being an All-NBA 1st team Rookie of the Year MVP candidate carrying a broken team that won 29 games the season before.

And the then 27-year old Parish traded to the Celtics from a sub-par Warriors team was not on a path to be an All-Star or multiple world champion. Not to mention winning a championship before McHale was even a relevant player (8 PPG, 17 MPG).

ralph_i_el
03-02-2015, 01:50 AM
the defense on those first two shots:facepalm :facepalm
shit, hands down on the last shot too:facepalm

kamil
03-02-2015, 02:10 AM
2nd GOAT after Jordan. Don't see how it's even an argument.

He could have played longer if he wanted to but why would he? He had already accomplished all that he needed to in order to be GOAT once he retired.

I've got Bird at #2 as well, then Magic.

Round Mound
03-02-2015, 03:51 AM
Bird Was Not Only The Smartest Sports Star Ever But One Of the Coldest Most Mentally Strong and Clutchest Ever.

Harison
03-02-2015, 03:52 AM
Bird - GOAT offensive player, right up there with Jordan.

LeBird
03-02-2015, 03:56 AM
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

Round Mound
03-02-2015, 04:37 AM
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley

:bowdown:

Rolando
03-02-2015, 05:02 AM

:applause: Exactly.

This is something all Lebron fans should ask themselves. If your life was on the line, who would you choose: Lebron or Bird?

oarabbus
03-02-2015, 05:41 AM
If Bird wasn't essentially playing handicapped for the twilight of his career he would have been consensus superior to Jordan.

Beastmode88
03-02-2015, 05:43 AM
:applause: Exactly.

This is something all Lebron fans should ask themselves. If your life was on the line, who would you choose: Lebron or Bird?

Make sure its not a free throw.

LEFT4DEAD
03-02-2015, 06:48 AM
Dat defense doe :rolleyes:

SHAQisGOAT
03-02-2015, 07:12 AM
:bowdown:

Classic Larry Bird moment :applause:

For the one that didn't count - because KC had already called the timeout - teammates and coaches later recalled him saying, while on the bench, that he was going exactly to the same spot and make that same shot afterwards... and he sure did.

The Celtics went from the 2nd worst record in the league (29 wins) to best record (61 wins) just with the SAME TEAM plus Bird. The Celtics were in disarray: Red was halfway to New York, management was struggling, attendance was awful (third worst in the NBA), the team was lost...

No Parish, no McHale...Bird showed his impact right away. He got to the ECF against the 59-win Sixers after being an All-NBA 1st team Rookie of the Year MVP candidate carrying a broken team that won 29 games the season before.

And the then 27-year old Parish traded to the Celtics from a sub-par Warriors team was not on a path to be an All-Star or multiple world champion. Not to mention winning a championship before McHale was even a relevant player (8 PPG, 17 MPG).

:applause: :applause:

Exactly. Imho the 1986 Celtics are the GOAT team (also mostly due to peak Larry) but people thinking it was like that all the time or even close, are pretty much foolish and ignorant.

Look at the "situation" when he 1st arrived on the team, and that '86 level wasn't even sustained for more than one season.

And even in that best season, with everything clicking, healthy players, very good bench, Bird peaking, McHale reaching his prime, Parish doing his thing, Ainge getting better, DJ could still do it, Walton bck for one more... Larry did what he was supposed to, they wrecked the whole league (which was stacked even) led by him.

Shit, you can even look at the 1984 Playoffs, when they won their 2nd ring, and realize MOST of his teammates were playing WELL BELOW their standards, while Bird was tearing shit up, all the way against terrific competition.

^For that post-season he led the team in points, rebounds, assists, steals, FG% and FT%... That's some next level shit, I don't think anybody has ever done that, especially while winning a title.
Rest of the team was shooting 45.8% from the field while Larry was at 52.4% and scoring 11 more PPG than their next best.
One of the most underrated post-seasons.

You can even look immediately after '86... For the 1987 season Bird was already pushing 30 and had to play the most minutes of his career (along with other starters) because they virtually had no bench.
During those Playoffs, McHale was on a broken foot, Ainge and Parish were not close to 100%, nobody off the bench to help... Bird was the main reason they even made the Finals, leading them over two great teams in two extremely tough and gruelsome 7-games series.
Remember stuff like the steal? While the Lakers had one of the GOAT teams just "easing" their way onto the Finals.

C's were shitty just before Bird got there, they were considerably worse when he didn't play, and they didn't even do anything long after he was gone.
Ignorant people love to name names though, many that Bird "made" even.

Plus, how about mentioning his competition too:
-Stars like Kareem, Dr J, Magic, Jordan, Moses, Hakeem, Dominique, Barkley, Isiah, Moncrief, Gervin, King, Drexler, Dantley... Best era for SF's too.
-Teams like the Showtime Lakers, Bad Boys Pistons, Moses/Erving's 76ers, 80's Bucks, Hakeem and Sampson Twin Towers' Rockets, Jordan's Bulls, Wilkins Hawks... Dynasties, some of the GOAT squads, teams that would've made the Finals in different eras. Played in arguably the GOAT conference also.

buddha
03-02-2015, 07:23 AM
dis nikka really shooted a runner from the 3-point line?

Pushxx
03-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Plus, how about mentioning his competition too:
-Stars like Kareem, Dr J, Magic, Jordan, Moses, Hakeem, Dominique, Barkley, Isiah, Moncrief, Gervin, King, Drexler, Dantley... Best era for SF's too.
-Teams like the Showtime Lakers, Bad Boys Pistons, Moses/Erving's 76ers, 80's Bucks, Hakeem and Sampson Twin Towers' Rockets, Jordan's Bulls, Wilkins Hawks... Dynasties, some of the GOAT squads, teams that would've made the Finals in different eras. Played in arguably the GOAT conference also.
[/B]

:cheers: :bowdown:

Prime_Shaq
03-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Bird Was Not Only The Smartest Sports Star Ever But One Of the Coldest Most Mentally Strong and Clutchest Ever.
:applause:

ImKobe
03-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Kobe did that in 2013

3 straight 3s to tie the game to force OT + Game-winning dunk