PDA

View Full Version : Is Wiggins the best midrange player in the league?

sundizz
03-02-2015, 06:43 AM
already?

His 10-14 foot averages are very very very good compared to other perimeter players + his ability to create separation allows him to get a more "open" shot than others.

I'm so glad to finally have a perimeter player that takes midrange shots again. It makes hoops so much more entertaining.

10-14 feet (February)
Wiggins: 64.7% (11/17)
Lebron: 21.4% (3/14)
Harden: 62.5% (5/8)
Klay: 33% (7/21)

He struggles actually much more in the 5 to 9 foot range (since his shot gets challenged) and the 15+ range.

StephHamann
03-02-2015, 06:47 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YSeh2xR.gif

Joyner82reload
03-02-2015, 07:33 AM
17 FGA :facepalm

CarlosBoozer
03-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Aldrige?

Though Wiggins midrange shot is wet

sundizz
03-02-2015, 08:22 AM
I agree with the Aldridge assessment. Actually, in general I have always felt that as a group pfs have the best midrange game (get the ball 10 to 17, turn face up, hit the j). Off the top of my head:

Horace Grant
Kevin Garnett
Lemarcus Aldridge
Anthony Davis
Zach Randolph
Dirk
Horford
Bosh

It would be interesting to see the stats on that.

AboutBuckets
03-02-2015, 08:23 AM

Seen this before and love it, does anyone know the context/who he was smiling towards?

Captvic
03-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Al Horford is.

JohnFreeman
03-02-2015, 08:43 AM
Swear I rarely see Duncan miss from mid

knicksman
03-02-2015, 08:51 AM
bran :oldlol: almost 2

knicksman
03-02-2015, 08:53 AM
cle would regret trading wiggins as kobe said. This guy knows what skills needed in order to win. Hes in the same class as kobe/jordan.

chips93
03-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Swear I rarely see Duncan miss from mid

he only takes wide open jumpers though

Prime_Shaq
03-02-2015, 09:25 AM
His mid range game is very well developed for his age, but not yet the best. I hope to see great things from this kid, his mid range as well as his post moves have already impressed me :applause:

ShawkFactory
03-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Dirk might be the best midrange player...ever...

So no, Wiggins isn't the best midrange guy in the league. Interesting that a 19-year-old in this day and age utilizes it so effectively though.

JtotheIzzo
03-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Its an interesting thought, he is nowhere near Dirk yet, but Dirk is an all time great and there is no shame in that.

What is interesting about Wiggins is that this season has rolled out almost in semesters. Back at the beginning of the season he was showing the step back and spin. Everyone said he couldn't shoot. then in December/January we saw a lot more threes and post ups (both high and low post). Everyone said he couldn't dribble. Now we are seeing a lot more dunks and dribble pull ups. Everyone says he needs to get stronger. I am hoping he will follow suit and get stronger, because he could be murdering people on dunks with his quick rise and high elevation.

He has come so far in one year it is kind of mind-boggling, adding elements to his game every step of the way. I really credit Flip for this, keeping him growing step by step, kind of brilliant, and adding KG to stoke the fire and keep him in check is the piece de resistance.

Basically to become a superstar Wiggins need to harness his athleticism, smooth out the moving parts of his game (which will come once his game catches up to his athleticism) and polish the other really good aspects of his game (3 point shooting, high/low post ups, midrange shot, spin move, slashes to the basket, drive and dunk).

Very excited about this kid's future.

ShawkFactory
03-02-2015, 10:54 AM
Its an interesting thought, he is nowhere near Dirk yet, but Dirk is an all time great and there is no shame in that.

What is interesting about Wiggins is that this season has rolled out almost in semesters. Back at the beginning of the season he was showing the step back and spin. Everyone said he couldn't shoot. then in December/January we saw a lot more threes and post ups (both high and low post). Everyone said he couldn't dribble. Now we are seeing a lot more dunks and dribble pull ups. Everyone says he needs to get stronger. I am hoping he will follow suit and get stronger, because he could be murdering people on dunks with his quick rise and high elevation.

He has come so far in one year it is kind of mind-boggling, adding elements to his game every step of the way. I really credit Flip for this, keeping him growing step by step, kind of brilliant, and adding KG to stoke the fire and keep him in check is the piece de resistance.

Basically to become a superstar Wiggins need to harness his athleticism, smooth out the moving parts of his game (which will come once his game catches up to his athleticism) and polish the other really good aspects of his game (3 point shooting, high/low post ups, midrange shot, spin move, slashes to the basket, drive and dunk).

Very excited about this kid's future.
My only issue us that he doesn't seem to have the playmaking instincts that other young superstars showed. He's certainly capable but guys like Lebron and DWade showed it right away. And he doesn't quite have the scoring prowess of a Durant or Kobe to make up for it.

StrongLurk
03-02-2015, 01:15 PM

Yoooo Dirk just moved into my top 20.

Mass Debator
03-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Just quoting cause that's so pretty

veilside23
03-03-2015, 04:39 PM
He still need to do a lot of work. But Wiggins' future is scary. Last June, people say that Wiggins can't shoot, Can't Dribble and is too raw offensively. But now he is showing everyone something that others aren't even good at. his step back jumper is money. If he would be a SG it would be hard to stop him and as he grows older and gain more muscles his ability to move without the ball will only be deadlier one pass from rubio and you have a problem.

The best asset that Wiggins have is his defense, I really hope having KG would pump the monster out of Wiggins, because whenever Wiggins play defense and he is focused its hard not to notice it. To this day I cant believe that he has blocked harden a number of times already. dude just turned 20.

j3lademaster
03-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Best mid-range scorer is Durant hands down at the moment.

STATUTORY
03-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Cav fans still approve of that trade?

Lebronxrings
03-03-2015, 05:33 PM
lebrons mid range % is kind of untrue considering how he has to shoot in peoples faces due to playing in the eastern conference plus he gets fouled alot.

Prime_Shaq
03-03-2015, 08:17 PM
lebrons mid range % is kind of untrue considering how he has to shoot in peoples faces due to playing in the eastern conference plus he gets fouled alot.
How does getting fouled count into his %? It wouldn't count as a FGA if he gets fouled.

Budadiiii
03-03-2015, 08:28 PM
And it's not remotely close.

Joyner82reload
03-03-2015, 09:19 PM

This is factually correct. Durant is shooting 53.5% from 10-16 feet on the season, which is ridiculous given his volume. For comparisons sake, Dirk's best ever season from that distance was 2010-11 and he shot 50.0%

ralph_i_el
03-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Best midrange players (not going by straight %, volume and playmaking taken into account). No specific order:

CP3
Dirk
Al Horford
Durant
Curry
JARRETT JACK

few more that I didn't think of

Dave3
03-03-2015, 09:25 PM
He's shooting 39% from that range. So no, he's not even close. Not to mention I like to think of midrange as farther than 15 ft (but inside the 3), and 3-14 ft. as more close range type shots.

Anyways, Stop making threads about Wiggins being the "best" anything. He's a rookie, let him be a rookie without stupid expectations.

Dro
03-03-2015, 09:25 PM
This makes zero sense....:biggums:

PejaTheSerbSnip
03-03-2015, 10:03 PM
3-10 ft: 29.7%
10-16 ft: 37.8%
16-23 ft: 32.1%

On a 13-46 team (I believe) so eye test doesn't really cut it either.

So no, he is not even close to having the best midrange game in the NBA.

Hes already REALLY good at finishing at the rim though: 66.8% from 0-3 ft this year. LeBron, for example, was 60.4% in his rookie year.