PDA

View Full Version : Bird Couldn't Play Today But Kevin Love Can

LAZERUSS
03-03-2015, 12:57 AM
Yep...the 6-7 3/4" Love is far more athletically gifted than Bird ever was...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7TnbhJr8iY

A Love that averaged 26-12 just last season...

305Baller
03-03-2015, 12:58 AM
with todays advancements Bird would have been bigger, stronger, more productive.

Fire Colangelo
03-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Nobody said Bird can't play today... other than trolls.

ralph_i_el
03-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Literally nobody thinks Bird wouldn't be great today

plowking
03-03-2015, 01:03 AM
OP please shut up.

You waste space on here, and your threads suck.

Milbuck
03-03-2015, 01:06 AM
Bird would be a poor man's Adam Morrison today.

If Adam Morrison was a rich man's prime Larry Bird.

navy
03-03-2015, 01:09 AM
Who said Larry Bird couldnt play today?

Besides trolls.

LoneyROY7
03-03-2015, 01:10 AM
Except no one says that.

Agenda deflected.

nba_55
03-03-2015, 01:13 AM
mods

iamgine
03-03-2015, 01:13 AM
OP must mean Jerry Bird from 1959 NYK.

Yeah that guy can't play today.

warriorfan
03-03-2015, 01:21 AM

pure ether

Kevin Love makes Larry Bird look like Michael Jordan

stephanieg
03-03-2015, 01:21 AM
So if Bird played today he'd be at least as bad as Kevin Love? Ouch.

warriorfan
03-03-2015, 01:25 AM
So if Bird played today he'd be at least as bad as Kevin Love? Ouch.

yah bird was way less athletic then that

not. please do not give us any more of your garbage takes, thanks for playing

SHAQisGOAT
03-03-2015, 01:39 AM
:biggums:

Who the **** said Larry couldn't "play" today, besides trolls or even ignorant little kids?
No need for a thread like this.

:wtf:

Kevin Love? **** does he has to do with Bird? They're white, tall, can shoot, post-up, rebound, throw outlet passes? Something like that? :rolleyes:
Larry is still 2'' taller, considerably more athletic before serious injuries, shits all over Love's intangibles, and is still way ahead in terms of overall skills/fundamentals/talent... Only thing Kevin does better is rebounding, and he's not even far ahead at all when it comes to that...

Hell, Peak Bird would've been the best in the game, right now...

Shit, peak Bird is top5 all-time and only rivaled by players like Shaq, Kareem, Jordan and Wilt.

What would today's game take away from Bird's impact? More like the other way around if anything :lol
Some of today's players would guard Larry better than some of the guys he went up against? Just no... He also played in the GOAT era for SF's - position he played at his best.
Got better superstars and teams than the ones he faced, out there? Hell no...

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 02:02 AM
Nobody said Bird can't play today... other than trolls.

Israel Guittierez who is employed by ESPN has basically said this.

Which I guess proves your point.

305Baller
03-03-2015, 02:03 AM

Ill shit on Gutierrez on the court

AirBourne92
03-03-2015, 02:03 AM
lmfao was someone legit saying love is better than bird?

man... bird is an OG

and he was cold AF

Kvnzhangyay
03-03-2015, 02:10 AM

Who the **** said Larry couldn't "play" today, besides trolls or even ignorant little kids?

Kevin Love? **** does he has to do with Bird? They're white, tall, can shoot, post-up, rebound, throw outlet passes? Something like that? :rolleyes:
Larry is still 2'' taller, considerably more athletic before serious injuries, shits all over Love's intangibles, and is still way ahead in terms of overall skills/fundamentals/talent... Only thing Kevin does better is rebounding, and he's not even far ahead at all when it comes to that...

Hell, Peak Bird would've been the best in the game, right now...

Shit, peak Bird is top5 all-time and only rivaled by players like Shaq, Kareem, Jordan and Wilt.

What would today's game take away from Bird's impact? More like the other way around if anything :lol
Some of today's players would guard Larry better than some of the guys he went up against? Just no... He also played in the GOAT era for SF's - position he played at his best.
Got better superstars and teams than the ones he faced, out there? Hell no...

Pretty much what you said except I disagree on your peak list. I currently have 86 bird as 6th behind 67 wilt, 91 ojrdan, 00 shaq, 13 lebron, 94 hakeem\

DJ Leon Smith
03-03-2015, 04:57 AM
Bird would be a poor man's Adam Morrison today.

What about if he played for the Bucks and had Giannis to mentor him.

dunksby
03-03-2015, 05:17 AM

That's about all J.Lau needs to make a comparison thread, I guess that's the best we can hope for, you either get this or Wilt posts.

Eric Cartman
03-03-2015, 05:28 AM
Are you retarded OP?

Bird would probably be the GOAT if he played 2000, or 2010 onwards.

Yes, I do understand that it is a satirical statement based on the general concensous of ish to bash older players for playing against all whites, namely Wilt in the 60's, but come on man, larry played in the 80's, arguably top 5 player of all time, you really think he is in the same sentence as those 6'5 scrub centers Wilt destroyed?

F*ck you and your agenda.

tpols
03-03-2015, 05:28 AM
Lazarus trying to make a retort to the 'wilts era was filled with shitty white guys' argument.. problem is white guys from today's era can shoot (also aren't nearly as prevalent).. and are generally skilled euros or non americans who have well rounded games. They weren't shooting 37% from the field w/o a 3 pt line like Bob cousy..wilts era sucked serious d!ck period.

LeBird
03-03-2015, 05:59 AM
OP must mean Jerry Bird from 1959 NYK.

Yeah that guy can't play today.

:lol :roll:

D-FENS
03-03-2015, 08:55 AM

Israel Guttertrash? What does that guy know about ball? He has been gargling on Wade, LeBroze, and Bosh's *** for years now. He's every bit as bad as Broussard.

LAZERUSS
03-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Lazarus trying to make a retort to the 'wilts era was filled with shitty white guys' argument.. problem is white guys from today's era can shoot (also aren't nearly as prevalent).. and are generally skilled euros or non americans who have well rounded games. They weren't shooting 37% from the field w/o a 3 pt line like Bob cousy..wilts era sucked serious d!ck period.

Nope...you won't find Ricky Rubio, with his career .368 FG%, and career .380 FG% from the 2pt line, playing in today's NBA, right?

LAZERUSS
03-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Are you retarded OP?

Yes, I do understand that it is a satirical statement based on the general concensous of ish to bash older players for playing against all whites, namely Wilt in the 60's, but come on man, larry played in the 80's, arguably top 5 player of all time, you really think he is in the same sentence as those 6'5 scrub centers Wilt destroyed?

Read thru this topic and get back to me...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369614

BTW, Chuck Hayes didn't play in Wilt's era. He was a 6-5 1/2 STARTING center for the Rockets a few years ago.

Straight_Ballin
03-03-2015, 11:43 AM
Bird couldn't play today. :lol :lol :lol

Wow are today's fans that insecure about this shitty league that they have to resort to such antics?

abuC
03-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Read thru this topic and get back to me...

BTW, Chuck Hayes didn't play in Wilt's era. He was a 6-5 1/2 STARTING center for the Rockets a few years ago.

He was their center out of necessity because their 7'5" center broke his foot and had to retire.

You harp on that point non-stop, Hayes situation was an outlier and the Rockets weren't very good with him starting.

KevinNYC
03-03-2015, 12:24 PM
He was their center out of necessity because their 7'5" center broke his foot and had to retire.

You harp on that point non-stop, Hayes situation was an outlier and the Rockets weren't very good with him starting.
So their backup center was 6'5"?

ralph_i_el
03-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Gutierez is a bitch. I tweeted at him and he got all butthurt

j3lademaster
03-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Nope...you won't find Ricky Rubio, with his career .368 FG%, and career .380 FG% from the 2pt line, playing in today's NBA, right?Why do you keep comparing Rubio to Cousy? Rubio's a scrub in his era and Cousy was considered one of the best players of his era.

Psileas
03-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Are you retarded OP?

Not sure if you're serious here or satirical yourself.

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 04:45 PM

Why are you wasting time saying Bird can play in the modern NBA? Everybody already knows this.

ralph_i_el
03-03-2015, 04:59 PM
if anything Bird is perfectly suited for today's game. 6'9" guy who can handle the ball and is an elite shooter? Sounds like the type of guy that every single team in the league is scrambling for.

Eric Cartman
03-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Not sure if you're serious here or satirical yourself.

Takes one to know one.

oarabbus
03-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Great red herring/straw man by OP.

Everyone acknowledges Bird as one of the greatest to lace em up.

LAZERUSS
03-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Great red herring/straw man by OP.

Everyone acknowledges Bird as one of the greatest to lace em up.

Oh really????

Read thru that topic and get back to me...

SugarHill
03-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Why do you keep comparing Rubio to Cousy? Rubio's a scrub in his era and Cousy was considered one of the best players of his era.
How is Rubio a scrub? :coleman:

SugarHill
03-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Oh really????

So you made this thread because some people think LeBron's career is comparabl to Bird? :biggums:

ralph_i_el
03-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Oh really????

literally just one dude who is a known asshat.

j3lademaster
03-03-2015, 05:43 PM
How is Rubio a scrub? :coleman:
Not the point of my post.

One is considered by many as the best pg of his era, the other is Ricky Rubio. Holding them to the same regard to try to prove strength of eras is ridiculous.

We can argue whether Rubio's a scrub, or where the arbitrary line is drawn for a player to be considered a "scrub" etc. some other time.

OnFire
03-03-2015, 05:50 PM
So all the players Larry Bird took to school sucked during his era and couldn't play today then because, although I caught the end of his career where he was laying on his back on the bench half the game, there was a time where nobody was stopping him anywhere on the floor from scoring.

insidious301
03-03-2015, 05:57 PM

Not really directing this at you, but shooting huge distances becomes difficult as you start losing strength over time (bad nutritial and training programs in that era), but moderate range is still something of form and should be capable for a long time. You put Bird in todays game, where the 3 point shot is emphasized, even on his worst/last days, his ability to shoot would still definitely be there.

Larry Bird in his prime would be a less stiff prime Dirk Nowitzki along with the passing skills of Ricky Rubio.

ralph_i_el
03-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Not really directing this at you, but shooting huge distances becomes difficult as you start losing strength over time (bad nutritial and training programs in that era), but moderate range is still something of form and should be capable for a long time. You put Bird in todays game, where the 3 point shot is emphasized, even on his worst/last days, his ability to shoot would still definitely be there.

Larry Bird in his prime would be a less stiff prime Dirk Nowitzki along with the passing skills of Ricky Rubio.

an unholy mix of Durant, Dirk, and Rubio

JimmyMcAdocious
03-03-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't really understand how these topics can occur as often as they do and people not get tired of them. Regardless of the original premise (and it's obvious agenda), the discussion always turns into the same thing. Surely you thread regulars find yourself typing the same arguments/trolling over and over? Because I seem to be reading the same arguments/trolling over and over. It's like Groundhog Day.

Not only pertaining to the Wilt threads, if it read like that. All of them. Although at least with the current players they could play today or tomorrow and there might be something new to discuss. Not that it's likely to be delved into.

Question: Do you guys have this stuff memorized or is it all in a document somewhere and you copy and paste it on each new thread? Likely paraphrase a little; maybe change a few adjectives?

Tking714
03-03-2015, 07:43 PM
If players like Jr smith, Brandon Knight, Shane Larkin, and Gallinari can play today, then Bird would absolutely dominate.

Psileas
03-03-2015, 07:48 PM

Bob Cousy, being one of the most skilled passers ever and a very good rebounder for his position, too, had a more well rounded game than most of these catch-shoot-do-nothing-else whites you're talking about. Trying to diminish him due to his shooting percentages (and he was actually a better natural shooter than lots of guards today, as his FT%'s show) is as desperate as trying to diminish Nash for his bad defense - and then, as if this wasn't enough, generalize for the whole era. Not to mention Cousy mostly belongs to the 50's, which, of course, isn't that importent, since Cousy's skills transcend eras.

STATUTORY
03-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Bob Cousy, being one of the most skilled passers ever and a very good rebounder for his position, too, had a more well rounded game than most of these catch-shoot-do-nothing-else whites you're talking about. Trying to diminish him due to his shooting percentages (and he was actually a better natural shooter than lots of guards today, as his FT%'s show) is as desperate as trying to diminish Nash for his bad defense - and then, as if this wasn't enough, generalize for the whole era. Not to mention Cousy mostly belongs to the 50's, which, of course, isn't that importent, since Cousy's skills transcend eras.

just for reference, we talking about this guy?

http://oi33.tinypic.com/25q817l.jpg

:roll: :roll: :roll:
dude wouldn't even walk on an intramural team at a respectable historically black college

ralph_i_el
03-03-2015, 07:59 PM
typing the same arguments/trolling over and over? Because I seem to be reading the same arguments/trolling over and over. It's like Groundhog Day.

Welcome to ISH:applause: