PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Schilling's daughter, his blog, the repercussions of thinking you're anonymous

gts
03-03-2015, 02:12 PM
in light of the Samuraiswish thread I found this interesting

Long story made short... Kurt Schilling congratulated his daughter on her making a team via twitter and of course as expected the yahoos came out of the woodwork

Schilling talks about it on his blog

https://38pitches.wordpress.com/2015/03/01/the-world-we-live-in-man-has-it-changed/

In light of the internet scrum, one Yankee employee has been fired, a student DJ at a community college has been kicked out of school, several other student/athletes from various schools are under investigation and a sh*t pile of twitter accounts have been deleted

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2015/03/02/student-suspended-for-awful-tweets-he-wrote-about-curt-schillings-daughter/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/03/yankees-fire-employee-over-vulgar-tweets-about-curt-schillings-daughter

Droid101
03-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Bunch of idiots who think "free speech" is the same thing as "freedom from consequences."

Real Men Wear Green
03-03-2015, 02:21 PM
For some of the things he's done Schilling is fair game but attacks on family are always going way too far.

Im Still Ballin
03-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Freedom is a very 'loose' concept

Open to many interpretations

gts
03-03-2015, 02:26 PM
For some of the things he's done Schilling is fair game but attacks on family are always going way too far.oh no doubt, he even admits it

I always liked him on and off the field. Outspoken, combative but not in an idiot way if that makes sense..

Real Men Wear Green
03-03-2015, 02:29 PM
oh no doubt, he even admits it

I always liked him on and off the field. Outspoken, combative but not in an idiot way if that makes sense..
He certainly isn't stupid.

nightprowler10
03-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Yeah he goes into detail saying that he's absolutely 100% fine with any attacks on him because he brings them on himself mostly, but how is this behavior acceptable in any way, shape, or form?

What are these kids' parents doing?

Rake2204
03-03-2015, 02:43 PM
I don't know a ton about Schilling as a person. I read about his weird Twitter creationism thing and I'm not sure I agreed with that.

However, I do not think any of that matters in terms of this situation involving his daughter. I have never favored the purposely super-over-the-top responses and insults I see used on the internet. That said, I kind of get the anonymous message board and YouTube user thing. It's like being someone different from yourself.

I just can't believe people would publicly, with their name right out there, say some of the things they said about Schilling's daughter. I know it's not isolated, but it's still crazy to me. I am glad to see repercussions of some form.

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Ok, the people who personally attack celebrities the don't know are immensely pathetic, and the people who go after their family even more profoundly so. That's been long established.

HOWEVER... that being said; If Curt Schilling wants to congratulate his daughter, he can do so with a phone call, with a hug, in an email, in a text.

By bringing her up on TWITTER... he's basically trying to give her free publicity under the guise of an innocent fatherly congratulations. He's probably trying to help her get "followers."

Curt knows the Twitter landscape. He knows it's basically all the world's retards pushing and shoving to be heard and get attention without having any talent or intelligence to actually offer. It's the virtual Hollywood, however when people flock to Hollywood they traditionally hope to get famous for being talented or at least quasi-talented, whereas on Twitter people desperately seek to get famous just for being famous. Twitter is for people who can't articulate, who can't write, who don't have anything substantive to share since that would require more than 140 characters (And yes, I once tried to promote a twitter account on ISH :lol which I quickly abandoned after realizing there was no point in tweeting at all, since I still wanted to type out real thoughts).

Point being, by shouting out his daughter on Twitter, Schilling is basically trying to give her some celebrity cred. If she can't handle that, if Schilling can't handle that, then shut the fukc up with your meaningless family congratulations on Twitter. If you've got something to say about a date you'll be making an appearance somewhere, a social issue you want to bring light to, an interesting thought or a joke, FINE. But if you're gonna tweet out every frivolous modicum of family business, DON'T COMPLAIN about the shit you get from the endless world of Twit-tards.

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 02:54 PM
I don't know a ton about Schilling as a person. I read about his weird Twitter creationism thing and I'm not sure I agreed with that.

However, I do not think any of that matters in terms of this situation involving his daughter. I have never favored the purposely super-over-the-top responses and insults I see used on the internet. That said, I kind of get the anonymous message board and YouTube user thing. It's like being someone different from yourself.

I just can't believe people would publicly, with their name right out there, say some of the things they said about Schilling's daughter. I know it's not isolated, but it's still crazy to me. I am glad to see repercussions of some form.

If he had screwed up on the field (when he was active) or said something dumb in the media, and people sought out his daughter to harass her over it, I completely agree with you.

When Schilling chooses to voluntarily PROMOTE HIS DAUGHTER ON TWITTER, then it's kind of hard to sit here and feel sympathy.

Seriously, who doesn't know what they're getting into with Twitter? It's the virtual home of all the world's retards. It's like throwing your daughter into a snake pit and say "shame on those snakes for biting my daughter!"

Come on now.

Bandito
03-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Those people are mean. I thought I was mean.

ace23
03-03-2015, 03:09 PM
I really don't see the big deal. It's the internet.

sweggeh
03-03-2015, 03:13 PM
First of all, who the **** is Kurt Schilling?

Secondly, If you can't take the good with the bad, then take your ass off twitter. If he wants to shout out his daughter and get her famous, you have to deal with the shit that comes with the celebrity status. Hell I aint no celebrity and people have said way worse stuff to me than that on the internet.

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 03:17 PM
First of all, who the **** is Kurt Schilling?

Secondly, If you can't take the good with the bad, then take your ass off twitter. If he wants to shout out his daughter and get her famous, you have to deal with the shit that comes with the celebrity status. Hell I aint no celebrity and people have said way worse stuff to me than that on the internet.

Exactly man. You're a fukking hideously unattractive troll IRL who obsesses over men you'd rather be than your pathetic self.

If you couldn't accept that, you wouldn't be here on the internet, you'd be out trying to get a life of some kind. But you got that acceptance. You dealin wit it. :applause:

sweggeh
03-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Exactly man. You're a fukking hideously unattractive troll IRL who obsesses over men you'd rather be than your pathetic self.

If you couldn't accept that, you wouldn't be here on the internet, you'd be out trying to get a life of some kind. But you got that acceptance. You dealin wit it. :applause:

Um.....

wut?

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 03:22 PM
Um.....

wut?

Exactly :bowdown:

GOBB
03-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Not a fan of Curt but I respect him for this.

~primetime~
03-03-2015, 03:43 PM
people suck...

It would probably make Kurt feel a little better if he looked at the comments under any Tweet Skip Bayless has ever made.

GOBB
03-03-2015, 03:59 PM
people suck...

It would probably make Kurt feel a little better if he looked at the comments under any Tweet Skip Bayless has ever made.

Why would it make him feel better? :wtf: You lost me.

~primetime~
03-03-2015, 04:06 PM
Why would it make him feel better? :wtf: You lost me.
like he doesn't have it bad on Twitter in comparison to Skip

Rake2204
03-03-2015, 04:09 PM
If he had screwed up on the field (when he was active) or said something dumb in the media, and people sought out his daughter to harass her over it, I completely agree with you.

When Schilling chooses to voluntarily PROMOTE HIS DAUGHTER ON TWITTER, then it's kind of hard to sit here and feel sympathy.

Seriously, who doesn't know what they're getting into with Twitter? It's the virtual home of all the world's retards. It's like throwing your daughter into a snake pit and say "shame on those snakes for biting my daughter!"

Come on now.I see where you're coming from. I think it's largely valid. I personally do not use Twitter, and that's one of the small reasons. I think I could see a use for it as an organized news source but for the social stuff, a lot of it seems kind of awful from a distance.

As such, yeah, Schilling likely knows that and he surely could have probably just made a phone call and had that be that.

That said, I think I'm okay with objecting to such behavior. It may be the widespread landscape, but I don't think that means everyone has to just accept and deal with it. It's a monumental task, trying to squash out such behavior - and I don't know if it can truly be eliminated, but I do think someone like Schilling should be able to provide a publicly congratulatory message without people counting on and expecting so many responses as bad as the ones released.

On a much smaller scale, I've wished my younger brothers happy birthday on Facebook. I could have just called them, but there's something that's pretty fun about finding a classic picture of them and giving them a shoutout that others can then see and wish them their best as well, or at least appreciate the moment.

In times like that, I'm thankful not to be famous, and that my profile is limited.

Basically, I think Schilling could have not gone the Twitter route, and probably knew what'd happen. On the other hand, I don't think he should have to pick between either throwing out a public congratulations to his daughter that'd draw the response it did, and simply not posting anything. I think it's worth fighting for establishing an improved atmosphere in that regard, even if he was somehow just looking for attention.

gts
03-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Not a fan of Curt but I respect him for this.just realized i spelled Curt's name wrong... Problem with having a friend named Kurt

GOBB
03-03-2015, 04:21 PM
like he doesn't have it bad on Twitter in comparison to Skip

I dont think he cares about what they say about him on twitter. Its when you involve his daughter whom is one of the few things in life he would go to jail for. I think you missed that part. What Skip Bayless gets in comments doesn't compare to Curt daughter who did nothing wrong but has people talking about some sick stuff. Which is why you lost me with your post. I figured since you have a daughter you might be able to relate. :confusedshrug:

just realized i spelled Curt's name wrong... Problem with having a friend named Kurt

:oldlol: No biggie

~primetime~
03-03-2015, 04:26 PM
I dont think he cares about what they say about him on twitter. Its when you involve his daughter whom is one of the few things in life he would go to jail for. I think you missed that part. What Skip Bayless gets in comments doesn't compare to Curt daughter who did nothing wrong but has people talking about some sick stuff. Which is why you lost me with your post. I figured since you have a daughter you might be able to relate. :confusedshrug:

smh, no I got that...you took my post to literal dude...I wasn't try to imply that he would literally feel better by looking at Skip's Twitter...it was just a comment made in jest.

sweggeh
03-03-2015, 04:31 PM
A ***** once told me online dat he gon fist my momma. I began to feel pain, but then I realised I am not old, white and bored so I let it go and went on with my day.

GOBB
03-03-2015, 04:32 PM

Come on now.

That is because you are the type of person he spoke about in his article. The people who grew up behind a keyboard and monitor. Nothing cool at any part of life to attack another mans daughter then try to say "its twitter, no holds barred anything goes pal". Especially people who don't even hide their identity and could be found offline. They wouldn't repeat themselves in person that is for sure. The fact you can't see any wrong in with what said is sad. Not shocking nor surprising just sad.

GOBB
03-03-2015, 04:33 PM
A ***** once told me online dat he gon fist my momma. I began to feel pain, but then I realised I am not old, white and bored so I let it go and went on with my day.

Which consists of you sitting online surfing the net embracing the ignorance for your own form of entertain. Your day sucks, i'm sorry.

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 04:33 PM
I see where you're coming from. I think it's largely valid. I personally do not use Twitter, and that's one of the small reasons. I think I could see a use for it as an organized news source but for the social stuff, a lot of it seems kind of awful from a distance.

As such, yeah, Schilling likely knows that and he surely could have probably just made a phone call and had that be that.

That said, I think I'm okay with objecting to such behavior. It may be the widespread landscape, but I don't think that means everyone has to just accept and deal with it. It's a monumental task, trying to squash out such behavior - and I don't know if it can truly be eliminated, but I do think someone like Schilling should be able to provide a publicly congratulatory message without people counting on and expecting so many responses as bad as the ones released.

On a much smaller scale, I've wished my younger brothers happy birthday on Facebook. I could have just called them, but there's something that's pretty fun about finding a classic picture of them and giving them a shoutout that others can then see and wish them their best as well, or at least appreciate the moment.

In times like that, I'm thankful not to be famous, and that my profile is limited.

Basically, I think Schilling could have not gone the Twitter route, and probably knew what'd happen. On the other hand, I don't think he should have to pick between either throwing out a public congratulations to his daughter that'd draw the response it did, and simply not posting anything. I think it's worth fighting for establishing an improved atmosphere in that regard, even if he was somehow just looking for attention.

For sure, and I respect that, but that's different because you're not famous so you sending your brother a happy birthday message on Facebook isn't automatically giving them national publicity. When Curt does that for his daughter that's what he's doing, and he knows it, and I can't imagine he's so naive as to think the internet isn't filled with jackasses who are going to send the kinds of messages he received.

Look at ISH. We have trolls on here who hide behind anonymous identities and try to attack other people in order to make their own pathetic lives seem a little less lonely at the bottom. And Twitter is that times a hundred million. It's the same thing with athletes actually arguing on Twitter all night with random bozos out there in Nobodyland who criticize them. Seriously, you got fame and fortune and you can't find a better hobby than going back and forth with some yahoo who made fun of a mistake you made on the court??? I remember "RG3" was recently involved in an acrimonious 'twitter exchange' with some random bozo who criticized him for spending his time singing billy jean on a live stream one evening. The fact that anyone is bothering to watch him do that, then angrily criticize him for not demonstrating enough dedication (at 9 pm in the evening during the offseason) because he's having fun online, it just shows how dumb the average person is. Like, that person spewed the standard cliche "Youre the quarterback, you're not setting the example, this is why you cant be a franchise face!!!!" Idiot average joe looking for twitter glory by firing off cliches into the internet that he copied from tony kornheiser and shit, it's like my god the typical person is SO. ****ING. STUPID. It's incredible. Take what the media gives you, wrap yourself up in it, and then scream it at the top of your lungs to show you belong, to gain your acceptance into that culture, to make everyone recognize you because you're loudly wearing the colors, since you don't have your own substance to offer. I mean seriously good lawd.

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 04:34 PM
That is because you are the type of person he spoke about in his article. The people who grew up behind a keyboard and monitor. Nothing cool at any part of life to attack another mans daughter then try to say "its twitter, no holds barred anything goes pal". Especially people who don't even hide their identity and could be found offline. They wouldn't repeat themselves in person that is for sure. The fact you can't see any wrong in with what said is sad. Not shocking nor surprising just sad.

Do you still have my pictures saved as "whatahottie.jpg?"

sweggeh
03-03-2015, 04:37 PM
Which consists of you sitting online surfing the net embracing the ignorance for your own form of entertain. Your day sucks, i'm sorry.

https://i.imgflip.com/idnn9.jpg

Lakers Legend#32
03-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Schilling's a Republican tool.

ILLsmak
03-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Bunch of idiots who think "free speech" is the same thing as "freedom from consequences."

They need to do something about this altogether. It happens on everything. They need to make it so that every time people start making sexual comments about someone, even if they aren't underage, that they put some pressure on them. Whether it's a fine or getting something on their record.

Deleting someone's acct means nothing. People are shit on the internet and they have to be held accountable.

It also depends on how old you are. I think they should have more leniency on younger people (like teenagers who don't know any better.) Still should tell their parents and make them do community service tho.

The fact that message boards and social media are so vile is an issue. It's wack that only celebs can get something done about it.

Edit: and the reason I say kids should get some leniency is because I've said some foul shit when I was a yungnub on AOL. Got banned from that shit many times. huehue.

-Smak

kentatm
03-03-2015, 05:17 PM

:lebronamazed:

http://i62.tinypic.com/efpj4x.jpg

sweggeh
03-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Akrazotile the typa ***** to get his face smashed in, take a selfie and upload it to ISH. He should know not everyone is into that rahh rahh shit and some people will **** you up if you run your mouth too much.

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 05:29 PM

http://i.imgur.com/siCZN.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/aLUfX9Tj2XZRe/giphy.gif

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 05:31 PM
They need to do something about this altogether. It happens on everything. They need to make it so that every time people start making sexual comments about someone, even if they aren't underage, that they put some pressure on them. Whether it's a fine or getting something on their record.

Deleting someone's acct means nothing. People are shit on the internet and they have to be held accountable.

It also depends on how old you are. I think they should have more leniency on younger people (like teenagers who don't know any better.) Still should tell their parents and make them do community service tho.

The fact that message boards and social media are so vile is an issue. It's wack that only celebs can get something done about it.

Edit: and the reason I say kids should get some leniency is because I've said some foul shit when I was a yungnub on AOL. Got banned from that shit many times. huehue.

-Smak

We gonna create a task force for internet comments? :biggums:

How bout people just don't spend their time looking at every comment a stranger wants to make about them if they can't handle the criticism? You realize sifting through all these twitter messages is a CHOICE right??

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Akrazotile the typa ***** to get his face smashed in, take a selfie and upload it to ISH. He should know not everyone is into that rahh rahh shit and some people will **** you up if you run your mouth too much.

You throw them thangs homie? :crazysam:

Buy me a bus ticket and I swear to jesus I will come out there and blast you with my baby doo doo squirt missiles fool.

Nanners
03-03-2015, 06:00 PM
its kind of cute when an old person discovers the true horror of internet comments for the first time :oldlol:

sweggeh
03-03-2015, 06:01 PM
You throw them thangs homie? :crazysam:

Buy me a bus ticket and I swear to jesus I will come out there and blast you with my baby doo doo squirt missiles fool.

***** don't gimme dat "I'm comin for you" shit, that fly cracka shit I'll crack you in your jaw *****, whats good? Come throw dem hands up B.

Akrazotile
03-03-2015, 06:14 PM
***** don't gimme dat "I'm comin for you" shit, that fly cracka shit I'll crack you in your jaw *****, whats good? Come throw dem hands up B.

yeah word keep poppin that shit homie, best believe imma see u n when i do my whole team comin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHOKqVOuxvk) wit me to mobb. my peeps bang out, we finna ride on your bitch ass in broad day homie, sho 'nuff. til then keep it trill n watch ya back homie, cuz we out here. heavy.

BRabbiT
03-04-2015, 04:35 AM
Not a fan of Curt but I respect him for this.

+1

Bandito
03-04-2015, 06:27 AM

So sexy ;)

dunksby
03-04-2015, 07:04 AM
We gonna create a task force for internet comments? :biggums:

How bout people just don't spend their time looking at every comment a stranger wants to make about them if they can't handle the criticism? You realize sifting through all these twitter messages is a CHOICE right??
Feeling unsafe? Funny in every thread where there is talk about doing something about internet scum, you find trolls shook. You spend your whole time finding new ways or just use your old methods to troll and insult people on the internet, of course you are terrified of real life consequence.

mlh1981
03-04-2015, 09:31 AM
There should be consequences for posting disgusting, vile comments, and these people got exactly what they deserve, but this is the equivalent of trying to put out a forest fire with a cup of water. Twitter trolls are never gonna go away. It's a great site for getting news and what not, but as long as you have degenerate losers out there with nothing better to do, this will continue. It's a fight that can't be won.

LOLCATS
03-04-2015, 09:34 AM
I agree with him, I have also had my fair share of online abuse and I am a grown man so I can handle it. It must be really hard for a teenage girl to handle.

Millslapped
03-04-2015, 09:54 AM
So someone got punished for something they said on the internet? Curt Schillings and his ugly ass daughter need to f*ck off.

The Iron Sheik
03-04-2015, 01:57 PM
yeah it is disrespectful but that's just the nature of social media. you can't let people who you don't even know get under your skin like that.

curt needs to stay off twitter and revive the kingdoms of amalur series though

magic chiongson
03-04-2015, 03:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dhMeAzK.gif

ballup
03-04-2015, 04:22 PM
So someone got punished for something they said on the internet? Curt Schillings and his ugly ass daughter need to f*ck off.
Kurt coming for your ass next. But this time, IN PERSON!

TylerOO
03-04-2015, 04:38 PM
LMAO kid was a "DJ" at Brookdale Community College. I went there for a year

Lakers Legend#32
03-04-2015, 06:13 PM
Schilling said he did not get into the Hall of Fame this year because he is a Republican. Wonder if he is coming for those voter too. Tool.

STATUTORY
03-04-2015, 07:22 PM
He certainly isn't stupid.
really? cause he bankrupted himself over a shit world of warcraft ripoff

and we are really applauding this dude for ruining kids lives over twitter comments?

:facepalm

The Iron Sheik
03-04-2015, 09:53 PM
really? cause he bankrupted himself over a shit world of warcraft ripoff

and we are really applauding this dude for ruining kids lives over twitter comments?

:facepalm

hey kingdoms of amalur was tight. don't drag that game down with him

iamgine
03-05-2015, 01:40 AM
In the end this creates balance. Most people would just ignore or block rude twitter comments. There are guys who would go after them like Schilling. It's a good thing for the balance.

He's not right or wrong, he's just part of the balance.

CavaliersFTW
03-05-2015, 02:04 AM
Just tweeted this to Curt Schillings. Have fun being put under investigation Jameer.

CavaliersFTW
03-05-2015, 02:11 AM
Looks like jam is banned (again)

Man curt schilling works fast!!!!
:applause:

http://rlv.zcache.com/father_of_the_year_mug-r1fc3d3d71d524cf0b724bc1e1fe7cb2a_x7jgr_8byvr_324. jpg

Blue&Orange
03-05-2015, 07:38 PM
isn't twitter for douchebags? What the purpose of twitter? Why are you on twitter and then whining about douchebags?

christian1923
03-05-2015, 07:40 PM
isn't twitter for douchebags? What the purpose of twitter? Why are you on twitter and then whining about douchebags?
A man should be able to post on twitter without people talking shit about his family

Akrazotile
03-05-2015, 08:58 PM
A man should be able to post on twitter without people talking shit about his family

No he shouldn't.

bigkingsfan
03-05-2015, 10:04 PM
People using real names to troll deserve it.

Stempel, HERB
03-06-2015, 12:51 PM
People using real names to troll deserve it.

Might as well use your real name. Anyone who wants to doxx a twitter acct will be able to anyway.

hateraid
03-06-2015, 06:39 PM
I was going to congratulate my son for making division 1 soccer on ISH. The OTC is much more vulgar than the people who tweeted Schilling.
now I'm not so sure...

bigkingsfan
03-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Might as well use your real name. Anyone who wants to doxx a twitter acct will be able to anyway.

Only if it's criminal activity and your isp gives up your info. The people who got in trouble here all used real info.

KNOW1EDGE
03-06-2015, 10:17 PM
After reading some of the things that were said it is just mind blowing to know that there are people out there who sat behind their computers and thought it would be a good idea to tweet those things @ Kurt Schilling. Like wtf? I knew people were immature and stupid but holy sh1t. It's just sad. The internet is a horrible weapon in the hands of brainless fuhckboys (ISH only further proves this)