PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody actually think Wilt's 100 point game was more impressive than Kobe's 81?

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 05:18 PM
Just checking...?

LAZERUSS
03-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Those that actually know anything about the game...yes.
Unanimous in that regard.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Any non-senile old men think this?

imnew09
03-03-2015, 05:22 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367813

Cmon man i already made a thread on this

Proctor
03-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Of course not. Nobody who isn't trolling anyway.

HurricaneKid
03-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Did Wilt score more than 9 points in the last 72 seconds of a 15 point game?

Why is beating a terrible non-playoff team in Feb more impressive?

HomieWeMajor
03-03-2015, 05:37 PM
Did Kobe's teamates intentionally foul the Raptors so that they could get the ball back again quickly for Kobe to score again ?
Did Kobe ever himself admit that his 81 point game was a mockery of the sport ?
Can I go on youtube and watch Kobe score all his 81 points ?
Should answer your question.

coin24
03-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Well one actually happened (kobes obviously) and one is in the imagination of lonely old laz :lol

Wilts 100 = mountain lion = 20,000 women (men obviously)

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 05:42 PM
Did Wilt score more than 9 points in the last 72 seconds of a 15 point game?

Why is beating a terrible non-playoff team in Feb more impressive?
Iirc Lakers were LOSING most of that game. Down double digits. Mike James was going off (this was that one fluke year he was really good) - Kobe won that game single handedly. And the Lakers didn't resort to bullshit tactics like fouling to get the ball back.

j3lademaster
03-03-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm leaning towards Kobe's 81 being better, but I'd like to actually watch Wilt's 100 point performance before making my final judgement.

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 05:54 PM
I don't care what era or what position he plays. If it were so easy, somebody else would have done it, but nobody else has even been close. Anytime you score 19 more points than somebody it is more impressive. Let's also not forget that Wilt had 25 rebounds in that game too.

theaussieguy
03-03-2015, 06:04 PM
lol way more impressive, All Wilt had to do was stand around some 6'5 centres and drop the ball into a net (hurr durr thats so epic dude)....gimme a break wilt stans

Im so nba'd out
03-03-2015, 06:10 PM
100>81 no matter how bad you kobetards try to spin it.Get off wilts decomposing dick

outbreak
03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Yes. If it were so easy in Wilt's era why didn't everyone score 100 point games?

theaussieguy
03-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Yes. If it were so easy in Wilt's era why didn't everyone score 100 point games?

you cant be serious? because wilt was one of the most physically gifted athletes of all time playing in an undeveloped game with no real competition, and even still he underachieved.

Get off wilts decomposing dick

Mass Debator
03-03-2015, 06:28 PM
63>

Droid101
03-03-2015, 06:29 PM
I don't care what era or what position he plays. If it were so easy, somebody else would have done it, but nobody else has even been close. Anytime you score 19 more points than somebody it is more impressive. Let's also not forget that Wilt had 25 rebounds in that game too.
I can't believe how often I have to post this.

Known Kobe hater Hollinger admits it's the greatest scoring game in NBA history.

It seems at first glance that Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point night in 1962 is far superior to Kobe Bryant's 81-point game Sunday. After all, Bryant still needed 19 more points -- roughly Pau Gasol's average -- just to catch the Dipper.

But if you stack the two games side by side, you'll come to the startling realization that Bryant's performance was actually far superior. Breaking the two games down by the numbers, it quickly becomes apparent what a dominant night Kobe had. Consider the facts:

Bryant was more efficient. Bryant needed 46 shot attempts and 20 free throws to get 81 points. Chamberlain needed 63 field-goal attempts and 32 free-throw tries to get his 100. Bryant's true shooting percentage for the night was 73.9 percent; Chamberlain's was only 63.9 percent.

Bryant's performance was more real. In Chamberlain's game, the Warriors intentionally fouled the Knicks in the final minute of play to get the ball back for another Chamberlain try at the century mark. Only on his third try did he get to 100. At the time, his team was comfortably ahead, as it was for the entire second half, and it won 169-147. Bryant, on the other hand, got almost all his points when they were desperately needed, as his team trailed by 18 early in the third quarter.

Bryant needed fewer minutes. If you want to really be amazed, consider the fact that Kobe sat out for six minutes in the second quarter. So Bryant scored his 81 points in only 42 minutes, while Wilt played the full 48 in his 100-point effort. Had he played for an additional six minutes and scored at the same rate (hardly an unreasonable assumption, given how much gas he appeared to have at the end), Kobe would have finished with 93 points. Yes, 93.

The game was different. Of all the differences between Bryant's game and Chamberlain's, this one is perhaps the biggest. Chamberlain's game ended up 169-147, Bryant's 122-104. Obviously, there was a huge difference in the speed of play, and that meant Chamberlain had far more opportunities to score than Bryant did.

Chamberlain's game featured 233 field-goal attempts versus 164 for Bryant's, and 93 free-throw attempts to 60 for Bryant's. We have no data on turnovers and offensive rebounds for Chamberlain's game, but based on the numbers I just mentioned, we can estimate there were 46 percent more possessions in the Chamberlain game than in the Kobe game.

If that's the case, we need to inflate Kobe's numbers by 46 percent to get an accurate idea of what it equates to in Chamberlain's era. The answer? An unbelievable 118 points. And if we add in six extra minutes for Bryant, we end up with the mind-boggling total of 135. By one player. In one game.

Another way to look at it is by deflating Chamberlain's numbers by a similar amount. If we change his currency into "2006 points," so to speak, the Stilt ends up with 68 points -- still an awesome performance, but clearly not on a level with Kobe's 81-point outburst. And once you adjust for the 48 minutes Chamberlain played vs. Kobe's 42, you end up with 60 points for Wilt -- or just a bit more than Kobe rang up in the second half.

So when our Marc Stein says this is the most amazing performance ever, believe it. Once you adjust for the differences in pace between the two eras and the fact that Bryant sat out for six minutes, even Chamberlain's monumental 100-point game pales by comparison. For basketball historians, Bryant's effort is now the scoring effort against which all others should be measured.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?id=2303136&refresh=true&refresh=true

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 06:37 PM

Known Kobe hater Hollinger admits it's the greatest scoring game in NBA history.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?id=2303136&refresh=true&refresh=true

It all comes down to opinion, so no matter how many times you "have to post this," it doesn't make it fact.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Terrible logic. So if JR smith suits up for a high school game tomorrow and drops 150 points it's more impressive than Kobe's 81?

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Terrible logic. So if JR smith suits up for a high school game tomorrow and drops 150 points it's more impressive than Kobe's 81?

Terrible comparison.

And yes, a high school performance could be more impressive than an NBA game. 150 points is a ridiculous amount of points, especially considering they are 40 minutes instead of 48, so it potentially could be better than Kobe's game.

IncarceratedBob
It all comes down to opinion, so no matter how many times you "have to post this," it doesn't make it fact.
The opinion of one the greatest basketball minds of this generation isn't a fact? You for real?:biggums:

G0ATbe
:facepalm Scoring 100 in that era was like scoring 40 in this era. This shouldnt even be discussed.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Terrible comparison.

And yes, a high school performance could be more impressive than an NBA game. 150 points is a ridiculous amount of points, especially considering they are 40 minutes instead of 48, so it potentially could be better than Kobe's game.

it was hyperbole to demonstrate a point. Okay how about this JR Smith drops 95 in a D league game - is it better than Kobe's game?

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 06:44 PM
The opinion of one the greatest basketball minds of this generation isn't a fact? You for real?:biggums:

Not if you know what a fact is.

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 06:45 PM
:facepalm Scoring 100 in that era was like scoring 40 in this era. This shouldnt even be discussed.

Ok, sure it is, even though a 100 point game only happened once in that era, while 40 happens all the time in this era.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Ok, sure it is, even though a 100 point game only happened once in that era, while 40 happens all the time in this era.
This is irrelevant tothe difficulty. Scoring 20 in the D league is not equivalent to scoring 20 in the NBA regardless if it happens just as much in the d league as the nba.

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 06:48 PM
it was hyperbole to demonstrate a point. Okay how about this JR Smith drops 95 in a D league game - is it better than Kobe's game?

So you are going to provide hypothetical after hypothetical that have no clear cut answer until I agree with one so you can say you are right? Your approach to making your point is just getting dumber and dumber. How about we stick to the actual comparison at hand, which is Kobe's vs Wilt's game. Both are some of the most impressive games of all time, and there isn't a clear answer on which is more impressive. I think Wilt's is, and you think Kobe's is. That is fine, but we won't ever be able to come to a clear answer because it is based on opinion as I have already stated.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 06:49 PM
So you are going to provide hypothetical after hypothetical that have no clear cut answer until I agree with one so you can say you are right? Your approach to making your point is just getting dumber and dumber. How about we stick to the actual comparison at hand, which is Kobe's vs Wilt's game. Both are some of the most impressive games of all time, and there isn't a clear answer on which is more impressive. I think Wilt's is, and you think Kobe's is. That is fine, but we won't ever be able to come to a clear answer because it is based on opinion as I have already stated.
So you're not gonna answer? Im making a perfectly valid point: Competition Matters.

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 06:50 PM
This is irrelevant tothe difficulty. Scoring 20 in the D league is not equivalent to scoring 20 in the NBA regardless if it happens just as much in the d league as the nba.

I agree that typically a 20 point game in the NBA is more impressive than 20 in the D League. But at some point, a good game in the D League could be better than a good game in the NBA, but there isn't a clear cut off of what that would be, and even then it comes down to context.

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 06:51 PM
So you're not gonna answer? Im making a perfectly valid point: Competition Matters.

Of course competition matters. But context as a whole does too, and just because one game is against better competition (not that Toronto was amazing), it doesn't invalidate the performance in a different game.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 06:54 PM
I agree that typically a 20 point game in the NBA is more impressive than 20 in the D League. But at some point, a good game in the D League could be better than a good game in the NBA, but there isn't a clear cut off of what that would be, and even then it comes down to context.
so you agree then that era does matter? That is all I was saying. Now the degree to which it matters is debatable. I definitely think 100 point game in the 60s is far better than a 40 point game today.

Budadiiii
03-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Wilt was stat-padding to get 100

Kobe was singlehandedly willing his team to victory after being down 14 at halfrime

Wilt is one of the biggest losers in NBA history. He lacked the winning intangibles and heart. He was like the LeBron of his era more concerned with stats than he was with winning.

What's more impressive? Kobe's, easily. He's a perimeter player. Wilt is a big dude who had a lucky FT shooting night. I watched Wilt live and the guy was BORING to watch. His footwork sucked. Layups.... wow impressive.

Wilt doesn't impress me at all. He was born with all of his gifts. Didn't work hard enough. He should've been scoring 70 every single night and willing his team to the championship every year. His play declined when it matters most much like LeBron.

He was a freak specimen who didn't have a winning personality. Shame.

GreggPopazit
03-03-2015, 07:00 PM
so you agree then that era does matter? That is all I was saying. Now the degree to which it matters is debatable. I definitely think 100 point game in the 60s is far better than a 40 point game today.

That is all I was saying as well. We may line up differently on that degree, which is why I think Wilt's is better and others may say otherwise, and that is the opinion part I was referring to. Heck, even within the same era, there could be debate about a whether somebody's 40 point performance is worse than somebody's 35 point performance.

Hittin_Shots
03-03-2015, 07:01 PM

Kobe was singlehandedly willing his team to victory after being down 14 at halfrime

Wilt is one of the biggest losers in NBA history. He lacked the winning intangibles and heart. He was like the LeBron of his era more concerned with stats than he was with winning.

What's more impressive? Kobe's, easily. He's a perimeter player. Wilt is a big dude who had a lucky FT shooting night. I watched Wilt live and the guy was BORING to watch. His footwork sucked. Layups.... wow impressive.

Wilt doesn't impress me at all. He was born with all of his gifts. Didn't work hard enough. He should've been scoring 70 every single night and willing his team to the championship every year. His play declined when it matters most much like LeBron.

Ok, how old are you because every post I see you post contradicts another of your posts elsewhere.

warriorfan
03-03-2015, 07:03 PM
Have any of you stans even watched the game? That raptor team was so bad, way worse then the 1960's crews of 6'4'' white guys....they literally didn't even guard kobe the entire game, embarrassment to the game of basketball.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 07:04 PM

LeBron is more like Wilt level athleticism with MJ mentality.

Budadiiii
03-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Ok, how old are you because every post I see you post contradicts another of your posts elsewhere.
I turn 68 next month.

I do have early onset dementia so my posts may not be as consistent as I would like.

Give the old man a break. :D

My grandson(check my avatar) always gives me crap because I can't even remember stuff I said this morning! Sheesh...

Budadiiii
03-03-2015, 07:09 PM
LeBron's mentality is similar to David Robinson.

Droid101
03-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Have any of you stans even watched the game? That raptor team was so bad, way worse then the 1960's crews of 6'4'' white guys....they literally didn't even guard kobe the entire game, embarrassment to the game of basketball.
Uh, have you? They were triple-teaming him at the end of the game.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-03-2015, 07:21 PM
I watched it live and have seen the highlights several times. Raptors were a bad defensive team but the performance was still miraculous. Not overly forced either...unlike Wilt's intentionally fouling.

IncarceratedBob
03-03-2015, 07:27 PM
I turn 68 next month.

I do have early onset dementia so my posts may not be as consistent as I would like.

Give the old man a break. :D

My grandson(check my avatar) always gives me crap because I can't even remember stuff I said this morning! Sheesh...
He is very, very cute. How old is he?

Dro
03-03-2015, 07:28 PM
wow, you guys stay hating on the old school..Anyway, Kobe dropping 81 against a defenseless Raptor team is still impressive. I didn't see Wilt's 100 point game obviously, nobody here has. So I'm not about to sit here and be a blatant hater and say Kobe because I hate the old school and I'm not about to just choose Wilt just because I hate the new school..Thats pretty much what most posters are doing in this thread...It has new school agenda written all over it...Even Kobe's not new school, he's newer than Wilt so there you go.

mehyaM24
03-03-2015, 07:59 PM
as bad as the raptors were, and how severely overrated kobe is, his performance was STILL against better competition. kobe scored in more of a variey of ways, and led his team back from 21 or something points down in a win.

Psileas
03-03-2015, 08:22 PM

Hollinger's "article" is among the most biased , one-sided pieces ever written and is doing nothing innovating, just trying to promote today's era over the today underselling 60's. He'd never have the guts to do something similar if he had to compare, say, Kobe's 81 point game to Jordan's 63 pointer vs the Celtics, even if some of these arguments still work in Kobe's favor.

Just to show how biased and short sighted such an article is, let's just comment on one quote:

If that's the case, we need to inflate Kobe's numbers by 46 percent to get an accurate idea of what it equates to in Chamberlain's era. The answer? An unbelievable 118 points. And if we add in six extra minutes for Bryant, we end up with the mind-boggling total of 135. By one player. In one game.

That's cute. Too bad Mr.Hollinger forgot to mention that, if we inflated Kobe's numbers by 46%, it would only make sense to do so for the whole game, which would give us a final score of 178-152 for the Lakers, which is both a higher score and a bigger blowout than Wilt's game. And, of course, his 48 minutes would ruin the "realer game" story (after all, in reality, the Lakers had pretty much sealed the victory when Kobe had got close to 70 points). So, you can't turn around the "higher pace" AND keep the "realer game" arguments altogether.
Not to mention that he pays zero attention to things like fatigue and the diminishing returns when the pace and the shooting efforts of a player go up. If things are that simple, why make any substitutions at all? Here's what the rest of the Lakers' starters' point totals would be:

Odom: 13
Smush: 26
Kwame: 7
Mihm: 28

Add them to Kobe's fictional line and you get to an all-time record total of 209 points for the Lakers. Yay for them, if only they knew...! :rolleyes:

(Oh, that would also mean 77 FGA's on Kobe's part, including 22 3-pointers, but please, don't tell anyone...)

Droid101
03-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Hollinger's "article" is among the most biased , one-sided pieces ever written and is doing nothing innovating, just trying to promote today's era over the today underselling 60's. He'd never have the guts to do something similar if he had to compare, say, Kobe's 81 point game to Jordan's 63 pointer vs the Celtics, even if some of these arguments still work in Kobe's favor.

Just to show how biased and short sighted such an article is, let's just comment on one quote:

That's cute. Too bad Mr.Hollinger forgot to mention that, if we inflated Kobe's numbers by 46%, it would only make sense to do so for the whole game, which would give us a final score of 178-152 for the Lakers, which is both a higher score and a bigger blowout than Wilt's game. And, of course, his 48 minutes would ruin the "realer game" story (after all, in reality, the Lakers had pretty much sealed the victory when Kobe had got close to 70 points). So, you can't turn around the "higher pace" AND keep the "realer game" arguments altogether.
Not to mention that he pays zero attention to things like fatigue and the diminishing returns when the pace and the shooting efforts of a player go up. If things are that simple, why make any substitutions at all? Here's what the rest of the Lakers' starters' point totals would be:

Add them to Kobe's fictional line and you get to an all-time record total of 209 points for the Lakers. Yay for them, if only they knew...! :rolleyes:

(Oh, that would also mean 77 FGA's on Kobe's part, including 22 3-pointers, but please, don't tell anyone...)
http://media.giphy.com/media/JwNPAckJDiPsI/giphy.gif

ThickassGlasses
03-03-2015, 08:35 PM

So you're saying that the pace of the game in Wilt's time did not effect/help him score 100 points? :biggums:

Asukal
03-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Wilt himself loathed that 100 point game because of how it came to be. Intentional records aren't as impressive as records made when something else was at stake. The 81 came out of an effort to win the game, not an effort to reach some milestone without context. That 100 is essentially meaningless stat padding. :confusedshrug:

Psileas
03-03-2015, 08:57 PM
So you're saying that the pace of the game in Wilt's time did not effect/help him score 100 points? :biggums:

No, what I'm saying, you can find in my first phrase there.
Basically, that Hollinger's "conversions" are flawed, biased and one-sided.

Dro
03-03-2015, 09:04 PM
lol, wut?:biggums:
Never in any context does he have Jordan's mentality. I mean zero. Now I'll give you the Wilt athletic comparison, of course Lebron is a genetic freak basically......

Mrofir
03-03-2015, 09:37 PM
I'm going to weigh in on this, without getting into the fray too much, and say for me Kobe's game is more impressive.

As much as I've hated him at times, I've always respected Kobe... but I'm growing to appreciate him even more as time goes on and as his career winds down. He may have been the most influential player in helping the nba transition successfully out of the Jordan era. It's going to take some special players to keep the mojo going.

There are some other players who fall into a similar category for me. Steve Nash is one of them. Every year Deron was better, or cp3, or whatever. Now look back and see who deserves the title of best pg from 05-10. Who will be best remembered in 20 years? No. Contest.

And finally, KG. Seeing his return to Minnesota reminded me of how special a player he is. Another irreplaceable guy. The NBA will miss these guys for their special combination of personality and legendary skills. Let's hope the young generation is up to the challenge.

I'd include Duncan but I don't think he has enough haters to be on this list. Same for Dirk. People basically understand where they belong in the pantheon and give them due credit.

I<3NBA
03-03-2015, 11:36 PM
100>81

next.

Marchesk
03-04-2015, 12:28 AM

If that were true, then someone beside Wilt would have scored over 70 during the entire decade. It's not like there weren't other good scorers (West, Baylor, Oscar, Pettit, Barry, etc).

Mulitiple players score 40 during every season. That's no comparison. :facepalm

Marchesk
03-04-2015, 12:32 AM
Pace is a factor to take into consideration, but the weird thing is how it didn't lead to any one else in the 60s coming close to that 100 point game or averaging more than Jordan did during a season (Baylor's 38.3 was on a shortened season for him).

Wilt is an outlier.

pauk
03-04-2015, 12:35 AM
Never seen Wilt's 100 point game.... so i dont know...

Beastmode88
03-04-2015, 01:15 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Straight_Ballin
03-04-2015, 01:17 AM

:lol Whatever you need to tell yourself.

ISHGoat
03-04-2015, 01:32 AM
Does anyone even think Wilt's 100 point game was real? We have no video footage, not even some grainy black and white footage with 6'2 white guys dribbling with one hand

sportjames23
03-04-2015, 03:01 AM

Think about what you typed.

Think about it.

sportjames23
03-04-2015, 03:05 AM

Wha--?

Shut up. Just shut the **** up.

warriorfan
03-04-2015, 03:08 AM
Does anyone even think Wilt's 100 point game was real? We have no video footage, not even some grainy black and white footage with 6'2 white guys dribbling with one hand

sounds about the same skill level as the craptor team kobe 81'd on