PDA

View Full Version : Gobert next DPOY ?

Tycriss
03-03-2015, 11:16 PM
15pts/24rb (franchise record) tonight

CakeorDeath
03-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Since the Jazz declared Favors and Gobert the front court of the present and dumped empty stats Kanter, they are the best defensive team in the league.

Once Gobert gets 35 min a night, he will lead the league in blocks and rebounds. Good free throw shooter too. If he develops a face up game, including a wet 12-15 foot jumper, goodness gracious

JimmyMcAdocious
03-03-2015, 11:46 PM
Next DPOY? No.

Maybe one in the future.

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Since the Jazz declared Favors and Gobert the front court of the present and dumped empty stats Kanter, they are the best defensive team in the league.

Once Gobert gets 35 min a night, he will lead the league in blocks and rebounds. Good free throw shooter too. If he develops a face up game, including a wet 12-15 foot jumper, goodness gracious

Remains to be seen rather Favors will be better than Kanter. The reason they are playing D doesn't have much to do with Favors. It's all about Rudy.

He did have a nice looking jumper at the end that was just long and a nice basket in the post. He's hitting 3's in practice. He's developing every game.

I doubt 24 is a franchise record. He'll certainly be in the running for defensive player of the year next year. Should be in the running for most improved this year though.

SwishSquared
03-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Remains to be seen rather Favors will be better than Kanter. The reason they are playing D doesn't have much to do with Favors. It's all about Rudy.

He did have a nice looking jumper at the end that was just long and a nice basket in the post. He's hitting 3's in practice. He's developing every game.

I doubt 24 is a franchise record. He'll certainly be in the running for defensive player of the year next year. Should be in the running for most improved this year though.
Don't think Favors/Kanter was a great fit, though. Idk what he or his representation were like behind the scenes, but the days leading up to the trade deadline but it seem like Kanter/his camp were delusional of his current abilities and value. Favors/Gobert seem to play within their respective roles towards team success.

If Gobert doesn't have like 5 top 5 finishes in DPOY I'll be mildly shocked, assuming he's healthy. Real game changer and at a bargain price.

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 12:23 AM
Don't think Favors/Kanter was a great fit, though. Idk what he or his representation were like behind the scenes, but the days leading up to the trade deadline but it seem like Kanter/his camp were delusional of his current abilities and value. Favors/Gobert seem to play within their respective roles towards team success.

If Gobert doesn't have like 5 top 5 finishes in DPOY I'll be mildly shocked, assuming he's healthy. Real game changer and at a bargain price.

Kanter/Gobert fit though.

Milbuck
03-04-2015, 12:24 AM
Next DPOY? No.

Maybe one in the future.
If we're not counting this year, he absolutely could be the next one next season. He's not just potential anymore, he really is a game changer. If I had to pick a DPOY frontrunner for next season it's him easily.

Fudge
03-04-2015, 12:31 AM
0 blocks? :durantunimpressed:

Not impressed.

SwishSquared
03-04-2015, 12:32 AM
Kanter/Gobert fit though.
Don't think Jazz wanted to pay Kanter and I'd rather hope Favors and/or Gobert improve on offense than depend upon Kanter's defense improving. He's ranked last amongst qualified centers in RPM (#361 overall).

Prime_Shaq
03-04-2015, 12:48 AM
Please don't fall in love with jumpers Rudy, you can dominate if you continue to develop

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 01:31 AM
Don't think Jazz wanted to pay Kanter and I'd rather hope Favors and/or Gobert improve on offense than depend upon Kanter's defense improving. He's ranked last amongst qualified centers in RPM (#361 overall).

I think they would have paid him a certain amount but who knows what that will be and with his trade demand and the return they got they didn't have much choice.

He didn't play much center for them and his D was improving. His passing out of double teams was a bigger issue. He's younger than Favors and has continued to improve every year unlike Favors who until this year hadn't really

SwishSquared
03-04-2015, 02:43 AM
I think they would have paid him a certain amount but who knows what that will be and with his trade demand and the return they got they didn't have much choice.

He didn't play much center for them and his D was improving. His passing out of double teams was a bigger issue. He's younger than Favors and has continued to improve every year unlike Favors who until this year hadn't really
I'm going by what ESPN classified him in their RPM rankings. They don't have him listed as a power forward, which is why I stated that. According to bball reference, he played ~990 of 1326 minutes on Jazz this season alongside Favors or Booker. I might be wrong, but wouldn't he be the C defensively in those lineups? I thought Utah preferred to have Favors on the perimeter guarding PFs, where he's more effective. He only logged ~300 minutes alongside Gobert. I don't get to watch Utah much, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

He turned down $32M/4 years, thinking he was worth Hayward-type money. I wouldn't pay him $16M+ annually, though maybe $8M is low-balling somebody with his offensive talent. He may be improving offensively, but I'd be shocked if he even becomes average defensively. Although the timing of his public demand plummeted his trade value, I think Utah's wisely investing in Favors and Gobert.

Gobert has to be a top 3 candidate for '15-'16, seeing as how great the Jazz have been on defense in his increased minutes. Unbelievable find, considering they got him for 2nd rounder and cash.

wally_world
03-04-2015, 02:47 AM
Mark 2 Eaton

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 03:12 AM
I'm going by what ESPN classified him in their RPM rankings. They don't have him listed as a power forward, which is why I stated that. According to bball reference, he played ~990 of 1326 minutes on Jazz this season alongside Favors or Booker. I might be wrong, but wouldn't he be the C defensively in those lineups?

With Booker he was the center. With Favors he guarded the perimeter and stretched the floor.

I thought Utah preferred to have Favors on the perimeter guarding PFs, where he's more effective.

Well he's not very good guarding the rim. Remains to be seen if he can guard the perimeter.

He only logged ~300 minutes alongside Gobert. I don't get to watch Utah much, so I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

He averaged more than 20/10 starting next to Gobert though.

He turned down $32M/4 years, thinking he was worth Hayward-type money.

Where's that number come from? He was smart not to take that. He'll get a lot more this summer unless he takes the qualifying offer and waits for an even bigger payday once the cap goes up after next season.

I wouldn't pay him $16M+ annually, though maybe $8M is low-balling somebody with his offensive talent. He may be improving offensively, but I'd be shocked if he even becomes average defensively. Although the timing of his public demand plummeted his trade value, I think Utah's wisely investing in Favors and Gobert.

Gobert has to be a top 3 candidate for '15-'16, seeing as how great the Jazz have been on defense in his increased minutes. Unbelievable find, considering they got him for 2nd rounder and cash.

Mark 2 Eaton

Other than the fact that he is more than just a big guy with his arms up in the air.

SwishSquared
03-04-2015, 03:44 AM
With Booker he was the center. With Favors he guarded the perimeter and stretched the floor.
I have no facts or stats to argue otherwise, thank you for the insight!

Well he's not very good guarding the rim. Remains to be seen if he can guard the perimeter.
Favors has not been an adequate interior defender that can guard 5s as effectively as 4s. He's only allowing 46.5% at the rim, though. He can comfortably defend power forwards, especially with Gobert behind him.

He averaged more than 20/10 starting next to Gobert though.
They were a net -36 when those two played together. Not greatest stat to use, but even with Kanters putting up great "counting stat" numbers, still puts it into perspective.

Where's that number come from? He was smart not to take that. He'll get a lot more this summer unless he takes the qualifying offer and waits for an even bigger payday once the cap goes up after next season.
That was the number that was reported on trade deadline day. I think they wanted to offer him exact same contract as Markieff Morris, but he wanted significantly more. Even if he continues expanding his game, I think they were wise to open up much more PT for the Favors/Gobert tandem. Have been crushing it defensively.