PDA

View Full Version : Utah best team in the league?

Giaodollo
03-04-2015, 02:17 AM
5-1 since all star break, kept five teams under 82 points including the champs, Grizzlies and Trail Blazers.

Hop on the bandwagon, kids, the Jazz era has started.

ImKobe
03-04-2015, 02:18 AM
NO EXCUSES

championship or bust.

iTare
03-04-2015, 02:23 AM
It's about damn time.
Jordan ain't around to commit offensive fouls this time around.

Championship incoming.

Prime_Shaq
03-04-2015, 02:31 AM
http://img.deseretnews.com/images/article/midres/1420198/1420198.jpg

R.I.P.
03-04-2015, 02:50 AM
All kidding aside all these location disadvantaged franchises should look at the Jazz as their role model. They rebuild only through the draft/trades and despite playing in the West they really turn it around quickly. Usually are back in the play-off mix after 2-3 years. Went from Stockton/Malone to Deron Williams/Boozer/Millsap/Jefferson to Hayward/Favors/Gobert/Burke and a few incoming picks.

Giaodollo
03-04-2015, 03:09 AM
All kidding aside all these location disadvantaged franchises should look at the Jazz as their role model. They rebuild only through the draft/trades and despite playing in the West they really turn it around quickly. Usually are back in the play-off mix after 2-3 years. Went from Stockton/Malone to Deron Williams/Boozer/Millsap/Jefferson to Hayward/Favors/Gobert/Sexum and a few incoming picks.

Fixed.

Burke won't be anything other than a sixth man once Exum finds his role on this team. Jazz is already playing better with him even though he sucks offensively right now.

But other than that I agree. They lucked out on Gobert, getting him so late in a overall very weak draft was a godsend.

imdaman99
03-04-2015, 03:11 AM
Fixed.

Burke won't be anything other than a sixth man once Exum finds his role on this team. Jazz is already playing better with him even though he sucks offensively right now.

But other than that I agree. They lucked out on Gobert, getting him so late in a overall very weak draft was a godsend.
What number pick was Gobert? Good pick :applause:

Giaodollo
03-04-2015, 03:17 AM
What number pick was Gobert? Good pick :applause:
27th pick of the draft. Same draft that had Bennet going first, Otto Porter third, Zeller fourth, Noel sixth and so on.

R.I.P.
03-04-2015, 03:54 AM
Fixed.

Wasn

Joyner82reload
03-04-2015, 03:56 AM
NO EXCUSES

championship or bust.

Yep. Championship or bust. Despite the fact they've been virually mathematically eliminated from the playoffs :lol

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 04:31 AM
All kidding aside all these location disadvantaged franchises should look at the Jazz as their role model. They rebuild only through the draft/trades and despite playing in the West they really turn it around quickly. Usually are back in the play-off mix after 2-3 years. Went from Stockton/Malone to Deron Williams/Boozer/Millsap/Jefferson to Hayward/Favors/Gobert/Burke and a few incoming picks.

Burke? You mean Burks? Jazz haven't had an NBA caliber pg since Mo Williams.

Despite the fact they've been virually mathematically eliminated from the playoffs

Only because they're tanking. Hopefully next year they spend some money and fill the holes in the roster and try to compete from the start.

Real14
03-04-2015, 04:38 AM
It's about damn time.
Jordan ain't around to commit offensive fouls this time around.

Championship incoming.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0914/nba_g_jordan_576.jpg

CakeorDeath
03-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Burke? You mean Burks? Jazz haven't had an NBA caliber pg since Mo Williams

Exum is NBA caliber on the strength of his defense alone. He's 19, didn't play college, and plays the most difficult position to learn. Give him time.

Trey has also shown glimpses that he can definitely be an asset. Probably will never be a floor general but can definitely be a spark off the bench. Jamal Crawford type.

Only because they're tanking. Hopefully next year they spend some money and fill the holes in the roster and try to compete from the start

You have to get over this tanking obsession you've been on. Yes they started poorly with a bunch of kids under the age of 23 and a guy who had absolutely zero experience as a head coach, with what was statistically the most difficult schedule in the league through December. Over the last 35 games, they are 18-16. You're not tanking if you have a winning record over almost 45% of the season. At some point they had to let the young guys play and establish an identity, two things never accomplished under Corbin. You yourself said Favors never showed improvement until this year, but you also complain that the Jazz didn't go out and sign someone (or keep Millsap) that would've played in front of him? Maybe he's showing improvement because no one's playing in front of him?

Giaodollo
03-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Exum.

j3lademaster
03-04-2015, 11:23 AM
27th pick of the draft. Same draft that had Bennet going first, Otto Porter third, Zeller fourth, Noel sixth and so on.How 9.5 foot standing reach/ 30' vert guys like Whiteside and Gobert get overlooked in drafts is beyond me. I'm not going to pretend like I was on their bandwagons since high school or something, but if I were an owner I'd expect my 6 figure earning scouts to not miss them.

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Exum is NBA caliber on the strength of his defense alone. He's 19, didn't play college, and plays the most difficult position to learn. Give him time.

I'm willing to give him time. He should be in the D-league right now though. If you watch you can see the scouting report is to leave most of the team open from outside including Exum. He's going to have to at least be able to hit the 3 consistently to play in the league. He's still got to prove he's tough enough to play in the NBA too. He's looked very soft.

Trey has also shown glimpses that he can definitely be an asset. Probably will never be a floor general but can definitely be a spark off the bench. Jamal Crawford type.

Nate Robinson type maybe? He might be a good 6th man? No way he should be in an NBA rotation now though. The thing with him is he's regressed from last year. Can blame the new system I guess? All I can say is Neto and at least one proven NBA starting pg should be on the team next year. I'd go after Knight. They should have been competing for a playoff berth this year. Exum and Burke are the main reason they are not and that is on the front office who put together the roster.

You have to get over this tanking obsession you've been on. Yes they started poorly with a bunch of kids under the age of 23 and a guy who had absolutely zero experience as a head coach, with what was statistically the most difficult schedule in the league through December. Over the last 35 games, they are 18-16. You're not tanking if you have a winning record over almost 45% of the season.

You put together a roster with non NBA players you are tanking. They certainly didn't expect Rudy to make them competetive single handedly. Hood is just starting to show he should be in an NBA rotation. Millsap looks like he might be. At the moment Evans is their back-up center. That is a joke! After Hayward and Burke they had no one that should have been in an NBA rotation at the 1,2 and 3 to start the year. They are a few million under the salary cap. That is tanking!

At some point they had to let the young guys play and establish an identity, two things never accomplished under Corbin.

Let's not throw Ty under the bus again. He was never given a fair shot in Utah. Why do they have their own D-league team? Until Clark was recently sent down no one on their roster had been their despite the fact that Exum, Hood and Clark have looked like that's where they belong. Playing them in the NBA is tanking.

You yourself said Favors never showed improvement until this year, but you also complain that the Jazz didn't go out and sign someone (or keep Millsap) that would've played in front of him? Maybe he's showing improvement because no one's playing in front of him?

The front court isn't their problem except now that they have no back-up center. Millsap obviously should have been resigned at 9.5 million a year. He'd still be their best player and 3rd highest paid! Favors spent the summer in Utah working for the 1st time. They are using him better this year. Kanter and Gobert showed improvement game game to game. Never saw that from Favors before this year despite all the hype about how great he is.

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 12:24 PM
How 9.5 foot standing reach/ 30' vert guys like Whiteside and Gobert get overlooked in drafts is beyond me. I'm not going to pretend like I was on their bandwagons since high school or something, but if I were an owner I'd expect my 6 figure earning scouts to not miss them.

Looks like Whitehead was drafted too high. Until this year he hadn't done anything. The NBA isn't set up to let guys develop like baseball or hockey.

j3lademaster
03-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Looks like Whitehead was drafted too high. Until this year he hadn't done anything. The NBA isn't set up to let guys develop like baseball or hockey.He played 2 minutes his rookie year and averaged 10/13/5 per 36 at 22 years old for a dysfunctional organization with obvious holes in its coaching staff. That's no 2nd coming of Shaq, but in a league where Hibbert is maxed it's definitely some nice potential to work with.

Let's not pretend like either of us were kicking back watching 40+ King's games paying attention to this kid, but the numbers show he had a nose for boards and blocks already. His rapm was bad, which is why I suspect he was exiled into dleague purgatory, but that could have easily been lack of discipline/ def IQ which can be developed. Otoh, 9'5 standing reach and a 31' vert? Can't really be taught.

And I'm watching him right now. He has good defensive instincts, can move without the ball, and is fluid in running the floor. I suspect he was just as fluid running the floor at 22 years old. And you're saying this kind of athlete is being taken too high at #33 pick?

You're entitled to your opinion, but imo if you don't have a sure thing on the table you take your chances with a physical specimen like Whiteside or Gobert.

GOBB
03-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Rudy Gobert has been impressive defensively. I looked up his defensive stats. He leads the league in OPP FG%. Which is basically a player within 5 feet of the basket trying to score. It's at 38% (2.7FGM - 7.2FGA). Avg 2.3blk on the season but the last 2 months 3.1.

Jazz fans what are his weaknesses? From a numbers standpoint he seems like a garbage bucket scorer. He also doesn't appear to be that quick laterally in highlights. Wonder how he fares in pick n roll/pop situations. How is he as a weak side blocker? Rebounding he seems solid. Not great but good. Seems like someone who could avg about 10 rpg in 30-32 mins or so.

But I'll let you tell it.

[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Wasn

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 05:41 PM
If you don't have the patience to develop someone 33 is too high as is any pick. The NBA isn't really set up to develop guys much.

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Rudy Gobert has been impressive defensively. I looked up his defensive stats. He leads the league in OPP FG%. Which is basically a player within 5 feet of the basket trying to score. It's at 38% (2.7FGM - 7.2FGA). Avg 2.3blk on the season but the last 2 months 3.1.

Jazz fans what are his weaknesses? From a numbers standpoint he seems like a garbage bucket scorer.

But that is changing daily. Shot a nice looking jumper at the end of the last game and also had a great post move. He runs the pick and roll effectively. Need to use him more. His left handed hook has also been showing up recently. Hitting 3's in practice. He puts in the work. You can see that every game. The sky is the limit with him!

He also doesn't appear to be that quick laterally in highlights.

He is. He's probably the Jazz's best perimeter defender as well.

Wonder how he fares in pick n roll/pop situations.

Defensively he is great. They need someone else that can protect the rim when he is out there though. Favors despite the hype isn't that guy.

How is he as a weak side blocker?

great

Rebounding he seems solid. Not great but good. Seems like someone who could avg about 10 rpg in 30-32 mins or so.

Fixed for accuracy.

Looks like he could lead the league in rebounding to me. He's at 11 a game as a starter and as he gets stronger that will even get better. Strength and inexperience are the biggest weaknesses I've seen.

ArbitraryWater
03-04-2015, 05:56 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_R5mgvU0AA1KYH.jpg:large

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/french-lessons-rudy-gobert-is-making-utah-an-elite-defensive-team/

GOBB
03-04-2015, 05:56 PM
You watched him way more than I have so I'll take your word on him. Thanks.

Sportal
03-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Give Exum an off-season at NBA level and I bet he'll be fine.

Didn't Favors use to be really hyped up? Is he now reaching that hype with Kanter shifting out.

Watching Rudy in the World vs USA was fun. Wonder if that was the moment where the Jazz realized he needed to start.. 9'6" reach is ridiculous, he has ups too... Imagine if he got an offensive game..

outbreak
03-04-2015, 06:25 PM
How 9.5 foot standing reach/ 30' vert guys like Whiteside and Gobert get overlooked in drafts is beyond me. I'm not going to pretend like I was on their bandwagons since high school or something, but if I were an owner I'd expect my 6 figure earning scouts to not miss them.

Gobert was pretty good in the works outs and pre draft games I thought, there was talk of him rising.

Exum will be ok in a couple years I think, he was just over hyped compared to guys like Payton and Smart.

GOBB
03-04-2015, 06:32 PM

Read...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Rudy-Gobert-5878/

He tested out fairly poorly at the NBA Combine in a number of different categories, even if it's difficult to gauge exactly how he compares to his American peers in these tests as it was likely his first time encountering them

Outside of his standing reach/vert. What else was there to go off on to take him high?

Xiao Yao You
03-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Give Exum an off-season at NBA level and I bet he'll be fine.

We'll see. He'll probably be spending most of his summer with his national team.

Didn't Favors use to be really hyped up? Is he now reaching that hype with Kanter shifting out.

Not really. All along he was hyped as an incredible defender. Let Millsap go because he was supposed to be so great. Have yet to see that. His offensive game is coming around but they're going to want him to extend out to the 3 point line so we'll see how that goes. His post game needs lots of work still too.

Watching Rudy in the World vs USA was fun. Wonder if that was the moment where the Jazz realized he needed to start.. 9'6" reach is ridiculous, he has ups too... Imagine if he got an offensive game..

They realized he was a rotation player I imagine after the worlds. I imagine they thought Neto needed to be here too after his showing but it was too late by that point. Look forward to seeing him next season hopefully. Tomic was impressive as well. Be a nice back-up to Rudy.

His offensive game is fine. He sets the best picks on the team. He's the best passer out of their bigs.

Outside of his standing reach/vert. What else was there to go off on to take him high?

I imagine the Jazz saw him doing what he's doing now at the combine and the private workout. Sloan liked him I know that much. He probably set a mean pick. He was showing this last season and in his first summer league. He needed to get stronger so he could play at the offensive end where he was having a hard time catching the ball.

Giaodollo
03-04-2015, 07:10 PM

Jazz fans what are his weaknesses? From a numbers standpoint he seems like a garbage bucket scorer. He also doesn't appear to be that quick laterally in highlights. Wonder how he fares in pick n roll/pop situations. How is he as a weak side blocker? Rebounding he seems solid. Not great but good. Seems like someone who could avg about 10 rpg in 30-32 mins or so.

Fixed for accuracy.

Noel is garbage compared to Gobert. Rudy single-handedly made Utah the best defensive team in the league.

GOBB
03-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Noel is garbage compared to Gobert. Rudy single-handedly made Utah the best defensive team in the league.

Last 25 games Noel avg

10ppg
7.6rpg
1.7apg
2.8bpg
1.7spg
49% FG
69% FT

I wouldn't say garbage compared to Gobert. :confusedshrug: