PDA

View Full Version : Sixers Transactions over last 3 years

hateraid
03-04-2015, 04:33 PM
I see all over Facebook Sixers trading for second rounders ie. Embiid for second round pick, Noel for second round pick. There's a lot of salty ignorant people around here. As far as I know we haven't traded any notable players for a second rounder.
Sixers crew, update me on the last 3 years transactions and how they panned out, including how the current player is doing. Only notable players please. Starters or 6th men type players. I'm a little lost on things like these

IncarceratedBob
03-04-2015, 04:36 PM
It's hard to trade away good players for 2nd round picks when you don't have any good players to begin with

JerrySeinfeld
03-04-2015, 04:38 PM
that KJ McDaniels trade makes no sense.

He seems like a decent player with potential to grow and you ship him out for a 2nd rounder?

IncarceratedBob
03-04-2015, 04:40 PM

He seems like a decent player with potential to grow and you ship him out for a 2nd rounder?
That's an easy mistake to make. He looked good because he was on a team completely void of talent. In reality McDaniels is a D-League type of player. Getting a 2nd rd pick for him is really good.

JerrySeinfeld
03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
That's an easy mistake to make. He looked good because he was on a team completely void of talent. In reality McDaniels is a D-League type of player. Getting a 2nd rd pick for him is really good.

Hm, yeah I guess that makes sense.

hateraid
03-04-2015, 04:46 PM

I wasn't a fan, but trading a second rounder for a second rounder isn't too much to cry about, and picking up Canaan is almost the value of the trade considering how he's playing now. Rockets need perimeter defenders, Sixers needed shooting. Trade kind of worked out and Sixers still get their pick

hateraid
03-04-2015, 04:48 PM

Not to mention Canaan has been really good and is looking to secure a backup spot for next year

chocolatethunder
03-04-2015, 05:56 PM

The KJ McDaniels trade makes perfect sense. He can't dribble and he can't shoot at all. He gambled all the time on D for steals and blocks. He was picked somewhere around 32nd and traded for a guy who was picked in the same range and for another pick in that range. He only signed a one year deal. Also Jerami Grant has emerged and started playing better than KJ. People over value him because he had a cool dunk and that's it. If you watched all the games you would know what I mean.

Edit: Also McDaniels is older than Grant and because of the poor quality of the Sixers team and the fact that they play at a high pace, his numbers don't really accurately reflect his value (see MCW). In his prime he will be the 8th man on a team. I wonder how his mom feels now for bitching about the Sixers "****ing my son over". He can't even get off the bench in Houston.

hateraid
03-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Sixers fans? Anyone?

hateraid
03-04-2015, 05:58 PM
The KJ McDaniels trade makes perfect sense. He can't dribble and he can't shoot at all. He gambled all the time on D for steals and blocks. He was picked somewhere around 32nd and traded for a guy who was picked in the same range and for another pick in that range. He only signed a one year deal. Also Jerami Grant has emerged and started playing better than KJ. People over value him because he had a cool dunk and that's it. If you watched all the games you would know what I mean.
Ct, can you break down last 3 years trades and current status starting with Evan Turner?

G-train
03-04-2015, 06:06 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/hinkisa99x.html

chocolatethunder
03-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Ct, can you break down last 3 years trades and current status starting with Evan Turner?
oh damn man I don't feel like doin that I'm at work and have an appointment right now haha.

I will say that it's really hard to understand how anyone could be unhappy with the MCW trade. I'm no PER fan but you're talking about a PG (mcw) who is 45th in PER FOR PGs. They have a very good chance of getting a high lottery pick out of him either this year or next. That is a win in my opinion. Anyone from the Sixers crew who has watched all of MCWs games knows what he is. He's a guy who can't shoot and has not improved at all offensively since coming in the league. Brown and Hinkie know this. They traded a guy who was drafted 11th in an awful draft for the chance to have a good pick in a better draft.

If anyone has seen Noel warm up or shoot, you know that if he can stay healthy that he can be a special player. A franchise player. Game changer, whatever you want to call it. He is the only player (healthy) who I wouldn't trade.

As far as Noel is concerned it was a smart pick as he was the consensus first overall before he was hurt. Is he going to be great? God no. But he can be something like Theo Ratliff (who was maybe picked 12th from Wyoming by Detroit). I would trade Noel in a flash for WCS but if they kept him I'm fine with that.

The thinking of the Sixers' front office is that if they feel that they can get better by making a trade, then they will. They aren't looking for good players, they are looking for great players and if they feel that they can improve by trading someone, they will.

I think that the Sixers' future is bright. For the people who bash them, I just don't think that they are being realistic and they don't understand what's going on here. They are essentially undoing all of the bad moves from the previous two regimes and setting themselves up to have lots of assets in the form of picks in order to continue to improve and make deals once the team is good. They have also positioned themselves to have a tremendous amount of cap flexibility maybe more than any team in the league. Hinkie said that their improvement won't be and isn't linear in the sense that it won't be 20 wins this year and 30 the next etc. What he said is that they are positioned to make a big jump if they see something that they like. Meaning that they could soon (2016 I assume) begin to start pursuing free agents while making good smart draft choices.

SwishSquared
03-04-2015, 07:12 PM

This will be very long-winded, but here goes...

Phenomenal interior defender for his size and (lack of) experience, though he regressed in perimeter defense throughout the season. First month or so, he was holding guys to below their averages all over the floor, including way out on the perimeter. By time he was traded, opponents were shooting their averages against him from 15+ feet. Still made a difference 10-15 feet and made a big impact 0-10 feet, in terms of opponent FG%.

He didn't play team defense recently and rotate as he should have. He was hot from 3 his first 4-6 weeks, but since that stretch, has shot like 24% from 3. I like him and his potential, but he wants to get paid like a lotto pick this summer. J. Grant surpassed KJ's level of play and stayed within his role better. Tom Haberstroh speculated that maybe his agent told Hinkie that they'd be *very* upset if Philly matched any offer sheets this summer and would hold that against the 76ers in negotiations with future clients, so that's why KJ got traded.

After they traded MCW, they needed to fill a hole at PG and Hinkie's liked Canaan ever since he entered the draft. I think he did Morey (and maybe vice versa) a solid by sending him KJ, who I expect will essentially replace Brewer's role on that team in the future (unless KJ signs elsewhere and HOU retains Brewer). Even though he's inexperienced, I bet the Rockets are driving down his value further by barely playing him. Philly was a great place to showcase his abilities, but now he's an end-of-bench guy.

Regarding the rest of their transactions since Hinkie took over (only been like 18 months)- I won't mention the other 18 months because the team was in a totally different direction then), they've tried to maximize the value of their current picks and players to set themselves up to have a better opportunity to have a team full of great players. They're searching for several great players via the draft, or by packaging young talent + picks for established stars. So far, they haven't been able to snag a young star in a trade, so they've stockpiled picks and mega cap space. It remains to be seen if anybody that they've drafted or signed in Hinkie's tenure turns out to be a star, but I think Embiid will be really, really good. Saric is playing great in Europe. Noel's improving month-by-month and is playing great defense. I also think they'll be very aggressive leading up to the draft in order to get like 3 potentially high impact guys. I see them being creative in FA, targeting young guys who fit their ethos (athletic, big, long-limbed guys who can/will space the floor). I think Kris Middleton would be great there, smallish wingspan be darned.