PDA

View Full Version : Nikola Mirotic: potential star. Bulls probably have to trade someone

guy
03-06-2015, 03:08 AM
Playing alongside Noah, Gibson, and Gasol, he's getting limited minutes. When he gets the minutes though, he's been great. His games where he's played more then 30 minutes, he's averaging 20/9 on 63 TS%. Last 3 games he's put up 26/8, 23/8, and 29/9. And he's a rookie so I'd expect that to get better.

Bulls kind of have a problem. I really can't see them keeping all these guys after this season. Obviously won't trade Noah. There's too much potential to trade Mirotic. That leaves Gibson and Gasol. Obviously Gibson seems like the likely choice given Gasol's season, but Gasol is still pretty old and his defense hasn't been that great. It wouldn't be shocking to see Gasol have a large decline next year.

navy
03-06-2015, 03:10 AM
I didnt expect the Bulls to use Gasol as much as they have. Although Gibson and Noah havent been healthy so that probably explains it.

You can keep all of them, I would just start Mirotic and Noah and then allow Gibson and Gasol to be the bench mob again.

guy
03-06-2015, 03:14 AM
I didnt expect the Bulls to use Gasol as much as they have. Although Gibson and Noah havent been healthy so that probably explains it.

You can keep all of them, I would just start Mirotic and Noah and then allow Gibson and Gasol to be the bench mob again.

Only so many minutes to go around. For those 2 positions and 4 players you'd have 24 minutes per person. That's way too low for how good these players are. Maybe they could if Thibs took more of a Popovich approach, but we know that's not going to happen. Cut it to 3 players and it would be 32 minutes per person, which is much more reasonable. They've been able to get away with it this year cause Mirotic has been playing so much less as a rookie but that can't last much longer.

navy
03-06-2015, 03:19 AM
Only so many minutes to go around. For those 2 positions and 4 players you'd have 24 minutes per person. That's way too low for how good these players are. Maybe they could if Thibs took more of a Popovich approach, but we know that's not going to happen. Cut it to 3 players and it would be 32 minutes per person, which is much more reasonable. They've been able to get away with it this year cause Mirotic has been playing so much less as a rookie but that can't last much longer.
Like I said, I didnt expect Gasol to be used as much as he is. I thought a good 20-25 minutes off the bench would be used to keep him fresh.

Of course it sounds like Gibson is gone and the Bulls failed to find a trade for him, which means he will be traded in the offseason. He's regressed/been injured so it wont be too bad a loss.

In any case, you could get creative and use Mirotic as a 3 more, even though he is a deadly mismatch at the four.

kshutts1
03-06-2015, 03:20 AM
I think it is worth seeing what Noah could fetch..

Could Noah have snagged..
Robin Lopez and Mathews?
Adams, Waiters, Lamb?

Something else along those lines?

SwishSquared
03-06-2015, 03:32 AM
Going into next season, they should start resting one of Pau/Noah/Gibson (assuming all return) much more frequently, especially if they have any nagging injuries. Pau's being overextended this year imo, though he seems much more active & happy being on a competitive team. Noah's knee needs to be constantly monitored imo, as he's key to any playoff runs. I can see Gibson's beef, as he was told he'd start before the Gasol signing and has mostly accepted a bench role without much public fuss.

If they can get away with Mirotic for like 10mpg alongside Gibson/Noah on the frontline in huge lineups, I can see that alleviating some problems. Then he'd still need 18+mpg at PF, but Pau's minutes need to be mid 20s. Noah too, until the playoffs imo. Split up PF/C minutes as: Pau (25), Gibson (26), Noah (27), Mirotic (18). Maybe they trade Gibson to SAC for their 1st this year (they owe Chicago a future first)?

My concern is that earlier this year teams smartly went very small when Mirotic/Gibson were the PF/C, having a wing guy play the 4. Mirotic was awful defending those guys, but he's seemed to have improved a lot. His defense off switches towards the end tonight was pretty solid. If he plays more SF going forward, he'll need to clean up his defense still.

El Gato Negro
03-06-2015, 10:00 AM
This rookie :applause: fun to watch.

Real Men Wear Green
03-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Just keep them all for now, depth is a luxury every team wants. And those that advocate trading Noah, that would be unwise. He's the leader of that team and the cornerstone of their defense. As great as Thibs is he needs a leader like Noah who inspires the rest of the crew. To me he's got the same role that KG had here in Boston when Thibodeau was an assistant. You lose Noah along with the inconsistent availability of Rose and watch that team go down to the bottom of the EC.

Of course we're hearing rumors that this is Thibs last year so who knows what happens in Chi.

ISHGoat
03-06-2015, 10:12 AM
They should trade rose for a non d-league PG

ThickassGlasses
03-06-2015, 10:34 AM
How's Mirotic's defense?

I think the clear choice is to trade Gibson here, but from the few Bulls games I have watched that kills some of the interior defense which has been a Thibs staple.

On a pure "team fit" model, I would say Pau has to be the odd man out because Mirotic can provide the offense and has a brighter future.

raprap
03-06-2015, 10:50 AM
It was fun seeing Miro abuse Ibaka on offense last night. :applause: Reminds me a lot of Hedo without the point forward skill.

roffie
03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
they needa dump gibson

Dro
03-06-2015, 01:01 PM
He's like the new Dirk...

Thorpesaurous
03-06-2015, 01:16 PM
I talked about this a lot in the preseason, but I really like the flexibility of this roster the way it's built.

You can go big with Noah and Gasol. You can go huge by playing Mirotic at SF with them, even though he's not a true SF, he provides the spacing for it, and he tries on D. You can back him up Defensively by replacing Gasol with Gibson. You can play elite level D with Gibson, Noah, Butler, and Snell. That's trapping and jumping all over the place. You can play elite level spacing by playing Mirotic at the PF and McDermott at the SF around either Gasol's low post game, or run it as a pinwheel set around Noah from the high post.

There's tons of cool stuff this team can do. I'm a Celtic fan, and required by law to like Thibs, but it's kind of a shame this team doesn't have a more creative offensive coach. And the Rose stuff kills them even more than it seems. Even healthy he's still a ball dominant guy. A more flow-y PG and an offensive coach would make this team really fun.

I don't think it's impossible this team blows it up soon. Ownership has had it's run in's with Thibs. I could see him being moved for a pick, and at that point I'm not sure how safe Gibson and even Noah would be. Those are really Thibs' guys. No one would give them anything for Rose. But I could see someone making a run at Noah.

If Atlanta loses in the playoffs this year and has issues with Horford holding up in the hole, would they consider re-uniting Noah with his old college teammate? They have cap space to swallow the extra money, and some assets that would interest The Bulls for sure, including two quality young PGs that they may have to choose between at some point. And a history of not mattering enough in their city, so would they double down on the excitement a deep playoff run might make and make a good hard 2-3 year chase of a title?

It's not unlike what Toronto did last offseason.

FKAri
03-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Man if Rose was in 2011 form this team would be a finals lock.

Captvic
03-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Man if Rose was in 2011 form this team would be a finals lock.

:cry:

GOBB
03-06-2015, 03:54 PM
This is easy. Taj Gibson. He will be 30 next season with 2yrs $19mil left. Hard part is finding a taker.

GOBB
03-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Maybe they trade Gibson to SAC for their 1st this year (they owe Chicago a future first)?.

If I'm Sac why would I do such a thing?

guy
03-06-2015, 04:11 PM
They've tried playing Mirotic at SF and it hasn't worked out well. He's just not fast enough to defend those guys. Really, the best comparison for him is Dirk, except he can defend better. Not saying he is Dirk. But his body and offensive playing style seems to resemble Dirk the most IMO.

guy
03-06-2015, 04:14 PM
This is easy. Taj Gibson. He will be 30 next season with 2yrs $19mil left. Hard part is finding a taker.

And Gasol will be 35. It wouldn't be shocking if he had a huge decline. Plus, he's not a good defender anymore. With Mirotic flourishing offensively, that might make Gasol more dispensable. Not saying I would trade Gasol instead of Gibson, just saying its not easy.

Genaro
03-06-2015, 04:32 PM
And Gasol will be 35. It wouldn't be shocking if he had a huge decline. Plus, he's not a good defender anymore. With Mirotic flourishing offensively, that might make Gasol more dispensable. Not saying I would trade Gasol instead of Gibson, just saying its not easy.
Gasol already had his decline, years ago. He will always be a guy who you can throw the ball to in the post and let him score, he makes them offense better because of that post presence.
I would trade Gibson if someone is willing to take him.

Mirotic can play SF as well and did it already this season.

97 bulls
03-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Id say dump Gasol. Hes been a bright spot this year, but lets be honest. Noah and Gibson taje a lot if pressure off him defensively. I see no reason Gibson wouldnt be able to avg 15 and 10 if he got starters minutes and he plays defense in the post and in pick and rolls.

It seems to me the Bulls future may center around Butler and Mirotic. As well as Noah.

NoGunzJustSkillz
03-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Ship Pau back to LA asap.

guy
03-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Gasol already had his decline, years ago. He will always be a guy who you can throw the ball to in the post and let him score, he makes them offense better because of that post presence.
I would trade Gibson if someone is willing to take him.

Mirotic can play SF as well and did it already this season.

Like I said, just because they played Mirotic at SF doesn't mean it worked out well. It didn't. Now, who knows? He's a rookie, maybe they need more time to experiment with that. But so far, it seems that would be problematic.

beastee
03-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Like I said, just because they played Mirotic at SF doesn't mean it worked out well. It didn't. Now, who knows? He's a rookie, maybe they need more time to experiment with that. But so far, it seems that would be problematic.
I disagree...he has played well in spots. Against non-athletic 3s like Pierce and Melo he can be fine...but he is not guarding Lebron or quick 3s at all. But with Snell's development...he really doesnt have to. Next year this should be the starting lineup:
Rose
Butler
Snell/Mirotic - Snell starting on athletic 3s/ Niko starting on non athletic 3s
Mirotic/Gasol- Niko starting on athletic 4's / Gasol starting on bruiser 4's
Noah

Bring Taj in as your 6th man to help Niko or Gasol.

Option 2 would be to package Snell/Taj/Picks for a top 10 SF.

SwishSquared
03-06-2015, 06:16 PM
If I'm Sac why would I do such a thing?
Because they tried trading for him last summer, offering up a first? And also because Vivek's the owner? That dude's a loose cannon. Could do '15 SAC first + J. Thompson for Gibson + '15 CHI/CLE first rounder if Vivek still wants him.

For the record, I wouldn't do such a deal if I'm SAC, but are we gonna act like they make sound bball decisions consistently?

Edit:
Remember last summer there was a rumor they were gonna trade their own pick to Sixers for Thad Young + two high second rounders? That team can be reckless with their picks.

GOBB
03-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Because they tried trading for him last summer, offering up a first? And also because Vivek's the owner? That dude's a loose cannon. Could do '15 SAC first + J. Thompson for Gibson + '15 CHI/CLE first rounder if Vivek still wants him.

For the record, I wouldn't do such a deal if I'm SAC, but are we gonna act like they make sound bball decisions consistently?

Edit:
Remember last summer there was a rumor they were gonna trade their own pick to Sixers for Thad Young + two high second rounders? That team can be reckless with their picks.

No, we aren't going to act like they do. :oldlol:

I was just curious your take on why Sac would do it. I see now and I totally forgot they tried for him last summer. You're right about their picks. Not a bad duo Cousins/Gibson.

GOBB
03-06-2015, 06:32 PM

Good point, keep forgetting about Gasol. But I do think you guys should trade Gibson and get the best possible value for him. Whatever that may be can be someone in line to replace Gasol when he is done as Mirotic shifts to a starter. That person could be a player or draft pick. I just think you can get by with Gasol two more seasons. And in that time frame Mirotic gets more minutes.

Replacing Taj Gibson can take place the next year or two until Gasol becomes a player you should rid yourself of. You also rid yourself of Gibson contract. Money to invest elsewhere.

SwishSquared
03-06-2015, 06:36 PM
No, we aren't going to act like they do. :oldlol:

I was just curious your take on why Sac would do it. I see now and I totally forgot they tried for him last summer. You're right about their picks. Not a bad duo Cousins/Gibson.
Haha yeah, sorry if my post came off as stand-offish, I just can't fathom what moves this FO/ownership group comes up with. Felt like they'd be due for a "whoa" trade over the summer, since it's been a while (for them).

My post was more about fleecing the Kings (no offense, SAC fans!) than making sound bball sense.

andremiller07
03-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Haha yeah, sorry if my post came off as stand-offish, I just can't fathom what moves this FO/ownership group comes up with. Felt like they'd be due for a "whoa" trade over the summer, since it's been a while (for them).

My post was more about fleecing the Kings (no offense, SAC fans!) than making sound bball sense.
None taken we are use to it :cheers:

Spurs5Rings2014
03-06-2015, 09:23 PM

:oldlol:

SwishSquared
03-06-2015, 11:06 PM
Man, for you guys' sake, I've been hoping that Vivek and/or the FO could figure it out to trot out a real team that can maximize Boogie's effectiveness. You guys put up with a lot of garbage from the Maloofs and Vivek's zany style might prevent this team from taking the next step. Hopefully Karl & the GM do well this summer to attract some high level talent. I wanna see Boogie in the playoffs!