PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Pippen Versatility Personified (Video)

Round Mound
03-08-2015, 02:26 AM
This is the Pippen i remember. His game at full display...mid 90s Pippen was easily one of the GOAT All Around Players. :applause:

*This Video Might Hurt Some Jordan Stans. How Easily They Forget The Level of Player Pippen Was. :no:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bOspPGO2fs

:bowdown:

RoundMoundOfReb
03-08-2015, 02:26 AM
:applause:

Im Still Ballin
03-08-2015, 02:30 AM
Great defender; shutdown Barkley multiple times

enough length enough height and enough strength to handle the 6-4 Barkley

Round Mound
03-08-2015, 02:36 AM
Great defender; shutdown Barkley multiple times

enough length enough height and enough strength to handle the 6-4 Barkley

:rolleyes: On some plays. He could never guard 85-93 Barkley though.

Height Freak
03-08-2015, 10:43 AM
11 plus minutes of pure awesomeness!

pauk
03-08-2015, 10:44 AM

STATUTORY
03-08-2015, 10:45 AM
had enough length to do every position

not many guys are capable of that

Roundball_Rock
03-08-2015, 11:35 AM

GOAT perimeter defender and the second best perimeter player of his era who was the third best player in the league at his peak. He had such a graceful game and had no weakness. It is a shame that he is underrated by so many today who never saw him play.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Not a fan of the instrumentals, but these were some awesome clips. :applause: Pip is underrated AF ...

Straight_Ballin
03-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Truly a product of working out with Jordan non stop in all of their practices and daily workouts at MJ's mansion. Pippen came in with an open mind unlike the young players of today that think they know everything.

Dro
03-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Ish makes me sick most of the time...While I appreciate the video, Pippen was the man, its sad that people can't make a topic praising one player without putting down another....All of this sh*t is just as sad as the stans who stay d*ckriding their favorite players....You're all in the same boat...

Roundball_Rock
03-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Not a fan of the instrumentals, but these were some awesome clips. :applause: Pip is underrated AF ...

beastee
03-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Not sure why this would detract from MJ. Scottie has been pretty honest that playing with Jordan drove him to be better and practices especially got heated. Pippen was a scrub coming out of college and he was groomed into an amazing player.

Straight_Ballin
03-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Ish makes me sick most of the time...While I appreciate the video, Pippen was the man, its sad that people can't make a topic praising one player without putting down another....All of this sh*t is just as sad as the stans who stay d*ckriding their favorite players....You're all in the same boat...

Right, clearly we should feel sorry for Barkley, Stockton, and Ewing since Jordan and Pippen were meanies and didn't let them have any rings. :lol

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Y5T5CBCHrF8/maxresdefault.jpg

Straight_Ballin
03-08-2015, 03:00 PM
This is the Pippen i remember. His game at full display...mid 90s Pippen was easily one of the GOAT All Around Players. :applause:

*This Video Might Hurt Some Jordan Stans. How Easily They Forget The Level of Player Pippen Was. :no:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bOspPGO2fs

How easily you forget that Pippen was taken under Jordan's wing and molded into the great player that he became due to having to cover Jordan in practice everyday and having to practice with Jordan at Jordan's home BEFORE regular practice everyday. This is all well documented so if anything, it just makes Jordan stans even more proud that Jordan was able to not only mold Pippen, but also perfect his own game.

Roundball_Rock
03-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Pippen was the #5 pick. Other teams wanted him, i.e. Sacramento and Detroit, which tried to trade up to get him. The guy went from handing out towels to the #5 pick in a couple of years, long before he met MJ. He had an incredible drive and work ethic that, along with a growth spurt, allowed his game to improve so much so quickly.

Pippen was putting up 16/7/4 in his second year once he became a starter. As soon as he got minutes he was able to produce--absent that, absent his first start, Chicago would have lost in the first round yet again in 1988.

Ne 1
03-08-2015, 03:42 PM

GOAT perimeter defender and the second best perimeter player of his era who was the third best player in the league at his peak. He had such a graceful game and had no weakness. It is a shame that he is underrated by so many today who never saw him play.

:cheers:

Lot of people seem to just think of Scottie as just Jordan's sidekick when he was so much more. 6'8" with a 7'2" wingspan, but he pretty much played PG offensively, a great finisher, excellent basketball IQ, deadly in transition, good post up player (he could actually score in more ways than LeBron because he could play in the post), capable 3 point shooter, he could rebound as well as some power forwards and one of the rare perimeter players who could impact a game defensively like an elite defensive big man.

Some say he wasn't a true franchise player because he couldn't score enough, yet I'd take 20-22 ppg from Scottie along with his playmaking, defense, rebounding and leadership over the extra 5 ppg and inferior all around game from many of the flashier perimeter players.

Peak Pippen was actually very close to mid 80s Magic statistically speaking...

'94 Pippen:

22/9/6/3 on 49%
All-defensive first team
23.2 PER
Bulls were 51-21 in games he played, and 4-6 without him

'85 Magic:

18/6/13/2 on 56%
23.2 PER
Lakers were 57-20 in games he played, and 5-0 without him

Magic is obviously the better offensive player (and would go on to become an even better player after '87), but Pippen has a huge huge edge defensively. But had Pippen's prime come in the mid 80s, against a worse league defensively and while playing on a faster pace (imagine even more transition scoring opportunities for Scottie), is a 24/10/7 season on 50+% really out of the question here? Maybe even something like 25/10/8 if he played in the mid 80s run and gun Western Conference (defensively those were some of the worst conferences in NBA history, almost every team gave up 110+ ppg). Pippen can lock down Magic in a one on one matchup as we've already seen in '91, but can you say the same is true the other way around? I think '87-'89 Magic > any version of Pippen, but mid 80s Magic vs. Pippen is a really good comparison imo. Both players can dominate a game while taking less than 10 shots too.

Roundball_Rock
03-08-2015, 03:45 PM

Lot of people seem to just think of Scottie as just Jordan's sidekick when he was so much more. 6'8" with a 7'2" wingspan, but he pretty much played PG offensively, a great finisher, excellent basketball IQ, deadly in transition, good post up player (he could actually score in more ways than LeBron because he could play in the post), capable 3 point shooter, he could rebound as well as some power forwards and one of the rare perimeter players who could impact a game defensively like an elite defensive big man.

Some say he wasn't a true franchise player because he couldn't score enough, yet I'd take 20-22 ppg from Scottie along with his playmaking, defense, rebounding and leadership over the extra 5 ppg and inferior all around game from many of the flashier perimeter players.

Peak Pippen was actually very close to mid 80s Magic statistically speaking...

'94 Pippen:

22/9/6/3 on 49%
All-defensive first team
23.2 PER
Bulls were 51-21 in games he played, and 4-6 without him

'85 Magic:

18/6/13/2 on 56%
23.2 PER
Lakers were 57-20 in games he played, and 5-0 without him

Magic is obviously the better offensive player (and would go on to become an even better player after '87), but Pippen has a huge huge edge defensively. But had Pippen's prime come in the mid 80s, against a worse league defensively and while playing on a faster pace (imagine even more transition scoring opportunities for Scottie), is a 24/10/7 season on 50+% really out of the question here? Maybe even something like 25/10/8 if he played in the mid 80s run and gun Western Conference (defensively those were some of the worst conferences in NBA history, almost every team gave up 110+ ppg). Pippen can lock down Magic in a one on one matchup as we've already seen in '91, but can you say the same is true the other way around? I think '87-'89 Magic > any version of Pippen, but mid 80s Magic vs. Pippen is a really good comparison imo. Both players can dominate a game while taking less than 10 shots too.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Smoke117
03-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Pippen was the #5 pick. Other teams wanted him, i.e. Sacramento and Detroit, which tried to trade up to get him. The guy went from handing out towels to the #5 pick in a couple of years, long before he met MJ. He had an incredible drive and work ethic that, along with a growth spurt, allowed his game to improve so much so quickly.

Pippen was putting up 16/7/4 in his second year once he became a starter. As soon as he got minutes he was able to produce--absent that, absent his first start, Chicago would have lost in the first round yet again in 1988.

Detroit's GM at the time Jack McCloskey even went so far as to say Pippen was a future super star in this league...but all dat practice with Jordan...that's what did it. No talent or skill...Jordan. :rolleyes:

Roundball_Rock
03-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Detroit's GM at the time Jack McCloskey even went so far as to say Pippen was a future super star in this league...but all dat practice with Jordan...that's what did it. No talent or skill...Jordan. :rolleyes:

Exactly. :oldlol: Chuck Daly also projected Pippen as a star and knew Detroit would be screwed once Pippen gained experience. Bill Russell was another one who wanted Pippen. Pippen was so good Krause sent him on a vacation so he would not be seen by other teams--but the secret was out after Pippen dominated a pre-draft tournament.

The irony, of course, is if Detroit succeeded in trading up to draft Pippen we would not have all these MJ stans today. Pippen would be hitting his prime right when Isiah and most of that crew started to decline. That would have prolonged Detroit's dominance. They were still in the ECF and the #2 seed in 91' and won 50+ games in 92'. With Pippen on Detroit, not Chicago, they would presumably come out the East in both years and probably win 1 or 2 more rings.

hitmanyr2k
03-08-2015, 04:49 PM
How easily you forget that Pippen was taken under Jordan's wing and molded into the great player that he became due to having to cover Jordan in practice everyday and having to practice with Jordan at Jordan's home BEFORE regular practice everyday. This is all well documented so if anything, it just makes Jordan stans even more proud that Jordan was able to not only mold Pippen, but also perfect his own game.

I've always said Jordan helped Pippen to become a better player but only to a certain extent. Playing against the best (or any seasoned vet for that matter) in practice is going to help you get better but at the same time it can kill you if you're not up to the task. Not everyone Jordan played with suddenly turned to gold or developed the same work ethic. In fact it usually worked out just the opposite. Pippen had to want to get better, work on his game in the offseason and improve, which he did on his own. I think he would have had that work ethic and would have improved as a player no matter where he went just because of his background and the hard work it took just to get to the NBA in the first place. The guy came from a poor family with a father stricken to a wheelchair which I'm sure gave him that much more incentive to succeed in the NBA rather than get in just to wash out a few years later. He didn't come into the NBA during an era when unproven players were getting max contracts. Add to that fact that he had to recover from back surgery after his rookie year and prove he could remain productive gave him the drive (and fear) to work hard or lose his place on the team.

Roundball_Rock
03-08-2015, 04:56 PM
I've always said Jordan helped Pippen to become a better player but only to a certain extent. Playing against the best (or any seasoned vet for that matter) in practice is going to help you get better but at the same time it can kill you if you're not up to the task. Not everyone Jordan played with suddenly turned to gold or developed the same work ethic. In fact it usually worked out just the opposite. Pippen had to want to get better, work on his game in the offseason and improve, which he did on his own. I think he would have had that work ethic and would have improved as a player no matter where he went just because of his background and the hard work it took just to get to the NBA in the first place. The guy came from a poor family with a father stricken to a wheelchair which I'm sure gave him that much more incentive to succeed in the NBA rather than get in just to wash out a few years later. He didn't come into the NBA during an era when unproven players were getting max contracts. Add to that fact that he had to recover from back surgery after his rookie year and prove he could remain productive gave him the drive (and fear) to work hard or lose his place on the team.

Good post. The problem with the mythology is it suggests Jordan had a midas touch and turned a scrub into a HOF'er. Jordan can't even "make" an all-star in Charlotte or Washington yet he made a top 25 all-time player? :oldlol:

It is true Jordan helped Pippen but players help players all the time, especially a veteran with a younger player. What they ignore is Tex Winter saying Jordan needed Pippen more than vice versa.

They also ignore coaching. Doug Collins spent extra time after practices with Pippen and Grant when they were rookies. Phil Jackson went out of his way to teach Pippen defense when Pip came into the league. What the coaches did is never mentioned.

Finally, as you noted, they ignore Pippen's drive and talent. You don't go from equipment manager to a top 5 pick in a few years without immense drive.

Regarding Jordan, they never mention others' influence on him. Dean Smith was key in developing him. Jordan himself said Kevin Loughery, his rookie year coach, "made him the player he became." No one expected him to be GOAT-caliber when he was in college or entered the league. Does that then mean Loughery "made" Jordan? :oldlol:

Round Mound
03-09-2015, 01:08 AM
Scottie was the Best SF of the 90s and The Last Most Underrated Player of The Modern Eras. I Don`t Think He Was a Top 3-5 player But He Sure Was a Top 10 Player in the 90s. Players That Where Better Than Him (Very Few): MJ, Hakeem, Shaq, Barkley, Malone, Robinson & Ewing. After that came Pippen, Stockton, Penny, Hill etc

His All Around Game was Brilliant :applause:

Round Mound
03-10-2015, 12:47 AM

Im Still Ballin
03-10-2015, 12:49 AM
Pippen > Barkley

It's not even close

DatAsh
03-10-2015, 01:09 AM
Been searching around for a Pippen defensive video I saw a few years ago, but I can't find it.

The biggest testament to Pippen's impact is what he did in 94/95. The Bulls defense actually got better after Jordan left. The Bulls lost one of the best perimeter defenders ever, and their defense still improved. Pippen was absolutely ridiculous.

Pippen was never properly appreciated in his playing days, but at least he's getting it now.

All that being said, Pippen is far less underrated than his teammate, Dennis Rodman.

Dragic4Life
03-10-2015, 01:10 AM
6 rings.

One of the most underrated player of all time. I would argue he was 1b to MJ's 1a on the Bulls during their run.

Round Mound
03-10-2015, 01:12 AM
Pippen > Barkley

It's not even close

:oldlol:

Round Mound
03-10-2015, 01:15 AM
Been searching around for a Pippen defensive video I saw a few years ago, but I can't find it.

The biggest testament to Pippen's impact is what he did in 94/95. The Bulls defense actually got better after Jordan left. The Bulls lost one of the best perimeter defenders ever, and their defense still improved. Pippen was absolutely ridiculous.

Pippen was never properly appreciated in his playing days, but at least he's getting it now.

All that being said, Pippen is far less underrated than his teammate, Dennis Rodman.

Jordan Between 95-98 Had 2 Of The Top 10 GOAT Defensive Players Playing With Him. Everyone Forgets To Mention This Especially The Brainwashed Bandwagon Nike Comercial Jordan Stans

DatAsh
03-10-2015, 01:19 AM
Jordan Between 95-98 Had 2 Of The Top 10 GOAT Defensive Players Playing With Him. Everyone Forgets To Mention This Especially The Brainwashed Bandwagon Nike Comercial Jordan Stans

Rodman is the most underrated player all time imo. He can't carry a team the same way some of the all time great offensive players can, but his impact isn't diminished on good teams the same way theirs is.

The 96-98 Bulls had 3 of the 5 best perimeter defenders ever, that's just crazy. They were past their primes, but still very great, and they weren't the only great defenders on that team. 72 wins is testament to the talent and chemistry of that team.

MrC1991
03-10-2015, 02:07 AM
Yo man Pip is one of my favorite players of all time. Thanks for sharing this video.

Round Mound
03-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Yo man Pip is one of my favorite players of all time. Thanks for sharing this video.

Roundball_Rock
03-17-2015, 08:30 PM