PDA

View Full Version : How dominant would Mj be in todays league

juju151111
03-08-2015, 08:59 PM
33-35 ppg,6asts,5rebounds,52%. It's easier on perimeter players today with the no handchecking and touch fouls. His combination of speed,jumping and IQ should be top notch.

Marchesk
03-08-2015, 09:01 PM
In b4 nostalgia

G0ATbe
03-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Peak?

23/5/3

bagelred
03-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Nick Young level...without the swag

Marchesk
03-08-2015, 09:08 PM
MJ would be the best in any era, with the possible exception of the 60s. So yeah, OP is in the right ballpark. Would be even better in the playoffs.

SpecialQue
03-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Jamal Crawford with a shittier crossover and a smaller dick.

bluechox2
03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
30+/6/8

J Shuttlesworth
03-08-2015, 09:21 PM
He's the GOAT for a reason.

Cladyclad
03-08-2015, 09:30 PM
TBH. If you took Bird MJ & Magic and put their games at they peak into today's game as is. I really believe the way the game is today Bird would be the better player of the 3. I see a even better Dirk. And we all kno how great Dirk is.

Sarcastic
03-08-2015, 09:38 PM
He'd be most dominant player in the league. Probably like 40/6/7 or around that.

Which isn't too bad, when you consider that he is over 50 years old.

plowking
03-08-2015, 09:43 PM
He'd be most dominant player in the league. Probably like 40/6/7 or around that.

Which isn't too bad, when you consider that he is over 50 years old.

So MJ is averaging 40ppg in todays league when no one is averaging over 28ppg?

This year, he probably averages 29-30ppg on 48-52% shooting, with 6 rebounds and assists.

JohnFreeman
03-08-2015, 09:46 PM
sixth man of the year

inclinerator
03-08-2015, 09:47 PM
1 dead father per game

Sarcastic
03-08-2015, 09:59 PM

This year, he probably averages 29-30ppg on 48-52% shooting, with 6 rebounds and assists.

How many people averaged 30 the year he averaged 37?
How many people averaged 30 the year Durant averaged 32?

I mean we are talking about the GOAT here. He's better than all the top scorers in today's NBA, by a pretty wide margin.

plowking
03-08-2015, 10:08 PM
How many people averaged 30 the year he averaged 37?
How many people averaged 30 the year Durant averaged 32?

I mean we are talking about the GOAT here. He's better than all the top scorers in today's NBA, by a pretty wide margin.

No he isn't. If the defense starts sagging in the middle and playing a zone, he isn't going to light you up and make you pay from the 3 point line the way Durant is. Zone makes it harder for superstars to drive and have an impact on the game. Durant scores so well due to the fact he has Westbrook driving in, and allowing him to become a catch and shoot player a lot of the time. He can mix and match depending on what the defense gives him.

Yeah, Jordan averaged 37ppg on a team that had a losing record. Are you saying he wouldn't be good enough to lead a team to a decent record in today's era? Jordan isn't sniffing 37ppg in today's basketball. Maybe back in 04-07, but now with more teams using zone as a staple, even if he did do it, it'd be on low % numbers.

Bless Mathews
03-08-2015, 10:09 PM
42 /7/7

In this buttery soft league??

Easy.

ClipperRevival
03-08-2015, 10:24 PM
The rules today are catered for the athletic, wing player to flourish. I think MJ's numbers would take a slight boost all around because of that. But not the crazy numbers some people are claiming.

Sarcastic
03-08-2015, 10:26 PM
No he isn't. If the defense starts sagging in the middle and playing a zone, he isn't going to light you up and make you pay from the 3 point line the way Durant is. Zone makes it harder for superstars to drive and have an impact on the game. Durant scores so well due to the fact he has Westbrook driving in, and allowing him to become a catch and shoot player a lot of the time. He can mix and match depending on what the defense gives him.

Yeah, Jordan averaged 37ppg on a team that had a losing record. Are you saying he wouldn't be good enough to lead a team to a decent record in today's era? Jordan isn't sniffing 37ppg in today's basketball. Maybe back in 04-07, but now with more teams using zone as a staple, even if he did do it, it'd be on low % numbers.

:lol Who's a better scorer than Michael Jordan?

LoneyROY7
03-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Probably something along the lines of a poor man's Tony Allen.

JebronLames
03-08-2015, 10:30 PM
28/6/6 on 47%

ClipperRevival
03-08-2015, 10:35 PM
28/6/6 on 47%

Lol. He would do worse in an era where all the rules are catered to his type of play? Yeah ok Lebron fan.

Cali Syndicate
03-08-2015, 10:35 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I would think mj would be more than just a tad better scorer than Westbrook or harden.

3peated
03-08-2015, 10:36 PM
stupid thread. mj would've been dominate in any era. he's that good

ClipperRevival
03-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Do some of you realize that MJ owns the highest ppg average in history for both regular season (30 ppg) and playoffs (33 ppg)?

plowking
03-08-2015, 10:41 PM
:lol Who's a better scorer than Michael Jordan?

Kevin Durant putting up 32ppg that year was a better scorer than 2nd year Michael putting up 37ppg.

King Jane
03-08-2015, 10:41 PM
im a big mj fan but honestly he would not be that good this is were nostalgia blinds old fans

maybe a serviceable 6th man today due to his hustle if he condition his self better

he must develop a jumper an improve his shaky handle esp his left hand

in his day most players just wrestle the ball inside with one hand crude bully ball which dont cut it today

refs call games better now he wouldnt get away with nothin today

xs and 0s game is too sophisticated today too many metrics an schemes that exposes him

players watch tape now everyone knows how he played unlike his day when it was new and revolutioneray

not to mention hes malnourished and skinny compared to todays horses just look

https://slangrap.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/jordangqfeb2011.jpg

westbrook

http://imagestoring.net/gfx/1114/russell-westbrook-shirtless-abs.jpeg

mj would be recked if he tried to play that hero ball shit today with that weak body

ray allen is twice as ripped as he is an look at ray

all he is is a spot up shooter which mj cant even do so

bench player a good hustle guy that cant shoot or handle and would get in foul trouble maybe a nice piece in the right system

plowking
03-08-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I would think mj would be more than just a tad better scorer than Westbrook or harden.

30ppg compared to 27ppg is a huge gap. Massive.

So yes, I do think he is a tad better scorer than both of them.

Blue&Orange
03-08-2015, 10:53 PM

you have the learning capability of a chipmunk.

1st, There is no time machines, if Jordan played today he would be a different player in a different league, hence a better 3pt shooter.

2nd, this had been debated before, proved with numbers, when you came up with that Mcgrady, Duncan garnett interview, tell me ONE superstar that had worse numbers when zone became legal, please, McGrady Duncan and Garnett all had better numbers after zone became legal.

You are a blithering idiot. Zone doesn't stop ****ing James Harden but it would stop Jordan :roll:

Jordan would rape in todays open lane, no rim protection league.

Blue&Orange
03-08-2015, 11:01 PM

This retard :roll:

And yet it's white unathletic skinny players that are breaking scoring records.

plowking
03-08-2015, 11:03 PM
you have the learning capability of a chipmunk.

1st, There is no time machines, if Jordan played today he would be a different player in a different league, hence a better 3pt shooter.

2nd, this had been debated before, proved with numbers, when you came up with that Mcgrady, Duncan garnett interview, tell me ONE superstar that had worse numbers when zone became legal, please, McGrady Duncan and Garnett all had better numbers after zone became legal.

You are a blithering idiot. Zone doesn't stop ****ing James Harden but it would stop Jordan :roll:

Jordan would rape in todays open lane, no rim protection league.

I said he'd be the best player and put up 30/6/6 today. I must have missed the part where I said he'd suck.

Idiot.

Straight_Ballin
03-08-2015, 11:06 PM
I said he'd be the best player and put up 30/6/6 today. I must have missed the part where I said he'd suck.

Idiot.

He'd average 40 in the finals, and 35 in the playoffs.

JebronLames
03-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Lol. He would do worse in an era where all the rules are catered to his type of play? Yeah ok Lebron fan.
Zone defense, better defensive schemes, better defensive players would make him do worse.

Paul George 24
03-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Kevin Durant putting up 32ppg that year was a better scorer than 2nd year Michael putting up 37ppg.

defence is ****ing soft nowadays :no:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
03-08-2015, 11:08 PM
If you care about the postseason, then yes, Jordan would be the best scorer in the game. No questions asked.

Playoffs:
-Highest career PPG average
-Numerous playoff runs of 35ppg+ or higher (insane)
-Most 50 point games
-Most 40 point games

plowking
03-08-2015, 11:08 PM
He'd average 40 in the finals, and 35 in the playoffs.

Given the right circumstances, maybe.

Over his career? Not a chance.

He'd have more chance of having a series like the one against Seattle and Miami where he shot 39% now than he did back then.

Paul George 24
03-08-2015, 11:09 PM
Zone defense, better defensive schemes, better defensive players would make him do worse.

zone defence wouldn't makes jordan getting worse,when he scores avg 20 at 40 years old :banana:

better defensive player ???????? who

Paul George 24
03-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Given the right circumstances, maybe.

Over his career? Not a chance.

He'd have more chance of having a series like the one against Seattle and Miami where he shot 39% now than he did back then.

leflop never scores 50 in playsoffs :lol

Blue&Orange
03-08-2015, 11:12 PM

Idiot.
:lol

So you think he would average 30ppg while having this stupid notion with no factual data that teams today play zones that reduce superstar players scoring? Now that should be a hint.

plowking
03-08-2015, 11:16 PM
:lol

So you think he would average 30ppg while having this stupid notion with no factual data that teams today play zones that reduce superstar players scoring? Now that should be a hint.

Jordan himself, as well as a few players who have played during both eras have commented it does indeed stop superstars performing to an even higher level.

From playing basketball myself, I know that scoring against a zone is harder, and relying on your teammates to hit open outside shots is key to breaking it down.

Blue&Orange
03-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Jordan himself, as well as a few players who have played during both eras have commented it does indeed stop superstars performing to an even higher level.

From playing basketball myself, I know that scoring against a zone is harder, and relying on your teammates to hit open outside shots is key to breaking it down.
They said they didn't like playing against zones, they also said they didn't like playing with short sleeved shirts. Now show me data that proves zones and short sleeved shirts impact superstars scoring output. I already showed you couple weeks ago how McGrady, Duncan and Garnett had better numbers the years after Zone became legal after whining about it.

I don't like to **** with condom, but that doesn't stop from cumming.

and it might be legal but teams don't play zone in the NBA, so this zone debate doesn't even make sense.

ralph_i_el
03-08-2015, 11:28 PM
28/6ast/6rb on 55% shooting depending on what he does from 3 point land. And he'd be the best player in the league

Sarcastic
03-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Stop acting like teams play zone 100% of the time. Most teams play almost entirely man to man.

beastee
03-08-2015, 11:33 PM
The best player in the league especially playing in the east. oh man, imagine what he would do to lance Stephenson...

SugarHill
03-08-2015, 11:35 PM
This retard :roll:

And yet it's white unathletic skinny players that are breaking scoring records.
who are these white players that are breaking scoring records?

plowking
03-08-2015, 11:47 PM
They said they didn't like playing against zones, they also said they didn't like playing with short sleeved shirts. Now show me data that proves zones and short sleeved shirts impact superstars scoring output. I already showed you couple weeks ago how McGrady, Duncan and Garnett had better numbers the years after Zone became legal after whining about it.

I don't like to **** with condom, but that doesn't stop from cumming.

and it might be legal but teams don't play zone in the NBA, so this zone debate doesn't even make sense.

No, you didn't show me anything.

And yes, Jordan did say it takes away from superstars, as did the 3 other players. Not that they didn't like playing against it. Why are you manipulating what they are saying? Why do you care so much as to which is harder and what players actually said?

These are facts. I'm not sure why you get worked up over it. Scores are lower now, superstars are impacted negatively based on rules, and the ball goes in at a lower % based on how the game is played. That would impact Jordan as well. He would still be the best player in this league based on this season. I'm not sure why you're all worked up.

AnaheimLakers24
03-08-2015, 11:56 PM

Hes better than bron

3ball
03-09-2015, 12:01 AM

That's exactly what he did in 1987 - he averaged 37.1 PPG, and the next guy after that was Dominique at 29.0 PPG.

Jordan's PPG has always been much higher than the #2 guy - he was usually the only guy over 30 PPG, just like he would be today.

You just don't understand how good MJ was because you weren't there to witness him - you're like a white person that's never seen racism themselves, so they don't reeeaally believe it exists - trust me, just take other people's word for it who HAVE seen it - MJ would thoroughly dominate today's game.

ralph_i_el
03-09-2015, 12:07 AM
That's exactly what he did in 1987 - he averaged 37.1 PPG, and the next guy after that was Dominique at 29.0 PPG.

Jordan's PPG has always been much higher than the #2 guy - he was usually the only guy over 30 PPG, just like he would be today.

You just don't understand how good MJ was because you weren't there to witness him - you're like a white person that's never seen racism themselves, so they don't reeeaally believe it exists - trust me, just take other people's word for it who HAVE seen it - MJ would thoroughly dominate today's game.

dude...8 is less than 12. And an even worse comparison considering the pace they played at (probably ~10% more possessions than today)

3ball
03-09-2015, 12:14 AM
considering the pace they played at (probably ~10% more possessions than today)

In 1987, the Bulls played at a 95.8 pace - today, league-wide pace is 93.8, or 2% slower.

So adjust Jordan's 37.1 PPG downwards 2% - so he'd average 36.5 PPG today.

Donkey4trading
03-09-2015, 12:16 AM
pretty good

ClipperRevival
03-09-2015, 12:18 AM
MJ won 10 straight scoring titles in his last 10 full seasons with the Bulls (minus 94-95). If that's not dominant, I don't know what is. And the fact that he did it in the modern era and not the 60's like Wilt makes it that much more impressive.

Highest ppg avg in history for both regular season (30.1) and playoffs (33.4), he came, he saw, he conquered. Deal with it Lebron fans.

3ball
03-09-2015, 12:24 AM
Zone defense would make him do worse.

Some players say they dislike zone, but when players talk about defense, MOST of their statements say it's harder to score against hand-checking, higher physicality, no-spacing and paint-camping - these things from previous eras more than offset today's zone defense.

miles berg
03-09-2015, 12:37 AM
He would be dropping 35-40 ppg. This league is way too soft for a guy like Jordan not to dominate.

Dr.J4ever
03-09-2015, 12:51 AM
MJ would average 45ppg/8 apg/7rpg. He would dominate today's softies and make even the biggest Jordan fanboys wet in their pants.:lol

3ball
03-09-2015, 12:57 AM
superstars are impacted negatively based on rules

It's the opposite of what you said - it's common knowledge that today's player benefits from wider driving and passing lanes due to spacing.. Also, it's well-documented (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/04/09/stujackson/index.html) that the NBA instituted major rule changes in 2005 designed to make penetration easier (this is the NBA's interpretation, not mine), which included a ban on hand-checking and various physicality..

These rule changes spearheaded a golden age of dribble-penetration, where there are more dribble-penetrators than ever before, and where teams use dribble-penetration to initiate offense more than ever before.. All that's needed is a high screen or an isolation play to take advantage of the hand-check ban and get in the lane.. Players like Harden, Lebron, and Kobe, as well as all point guards benefit from these plays.. Previous era players would be no different.

The 2005 rule changes also included the elimination of paint-camping with a new defensive 3 seconds rule (http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html) that forced defenders inside the paint to stay within "armslength" of their man at all times (cling to their man), or vacate the paint.. This is the exact definition of man-to-man defense (and a strict version of man-to-man at that) - so while today's NBA allows zone defenses, they aren't allowed in the most important area of the floor - the paint.. In the paint, defenses must play a strict brand of man-to-man.

Otoh, defenses in previous eras could hand-check and be physical.. Also, there was no spacing, so driving and passing lanes were smaller and defenders could help from closer distances.. Furthermore, defenders in the paint didn't have any "armslength" restriction and could legally paint-camp.. It's ironic.. While today's game forces defenders to play very strict man-to-man inside the painted area (stay within armslength), previous eras could actually play zone in the paint, or legally paint-camp, which is the same thing.

All coaches in previous eras foolishly ran offenses that didn't shoot threes and positioned players close to the rim, which activated legal-paint camping, as stipulated in Rule 2b (http://nbahoopsonline.com/History/Leagues/NBA/Rules/Fouls.html) of the Illegal Defense Guidelines - this rule allowed defenders to paint-camp with no time restriction if their man was in the paint already, or within 3 feet of either side.

The legal paint-camping, hand-checking, higher physicality, and no-spacing made it harder to score in the paint in previous eras.. The GOAT versatility of MJ's scoring repertoire (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11021030&postcount=6) would have a field day in today's spaced out, non-physical game.