PDA

View Full Version : Embiid in Walking Boot After "Setback"

SwishSquared
03-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Joel Embiid's road to preparing for an NBA debut has taken a bit of an interesting route. The Sixers top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft has been putting in some serious work in pre-game workouts as he continues to recover from a navicular fracture in his foot. He's still considered unlikely to make his debut this season but has looked to be in great shape. Prior to Friday night's game against the Utah Jazz, Embiid was video taped throwing down a between the legs dunk, widely considered a pretty strong sign he's healthy.

Since then, Embiid did not take part in pre-game workouts before Saturday's game against the Atlanta Hawks, and wasn't see at practice on Monday. There may be a good reason behind it.

On Sunday, Liberty Ballers received a tip that Joel Embiid was wearing a walking boot once again on his injured foot, something he had not done for at least several weeks prior. We weren't able to get any further confirmation, but Sixers beat writer Tom Moore was.

Tom Moore @tmoore76ers
Follow

Told #Sixers Embiid was wearing boot on foot Sun for protective reasons, not because he's had real setback. #76ers #NBA h/t @DerekBodnerNBA

For a guy who has been without a boot for a good period of time now, it's certainly bizarre for him to be wearing one again if his condition is unchanged. Walking boots are certainly not conducive for a guy who is supposed to be healthy.

It may end up being something minor, but to say it's for "protective reasons" doesn't make sense at this stage in his rehab.

Update: 5:56 PM (by Derek):

Tom Moore has since tweeted out that he has been told that Embiid suffered a "minor setback".

Tom Moore @tmoore76ers
Follow

Now being told Joel Embiid has experienced 'minor setback' with right foot. #Sixers
http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/3/9/8176817/report-joel-embiid-back-in-walking-boot-considered-protective

Interesting comment said that Sixers may be saying this after people are questioning why Embiid isn't playing after completing a between-the-legs dunk during pre-game recently, just to placate people. I honestly have no idea. I assumed he was healthy & progressing well after seeing that.

GOBB
03-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Interesting comment said that Sixers may be saying this after people are questioning why Embiid isn't playing after completing a between-the-legs dunk during pre-game recently, just to placate people. I honestly have no idea. I assumed he was healthy & progressing well after seeing that.

That's all this is. That video went viral and spawned so many asking why isn't he playing if he can do that amazing dunk.

Magic731
03-09-2015, 07:15 PM
That's all this is. That video went viral and spawned so many asking why isn't he playing if he can do that amazing dunk.
Why isn't he playing then?

navy
03-09-2015, 07:16 PM
76ers.

Knicksfever2010
03-09-2015, 07:30 PM
Sixers were afraid he would start playing this season and helping the team win. Management did not want that, they told him to slow his roll and wear a boot :)

SwishSquared
03-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Keep the tank strong and I think they want to give him a legit shot to win ROY. They let MCW gun for it and I think they want to give all their guys a fair shot at personal accolades. Brett Brown even said he thought Noel should have gotten rookie of the month.

In b4 they boost their players' value just so they can trade them.

AnaheimLakers24
03-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Noel or embiid... who becomes a laker first?

Akrazotile
03-09-2015, 07:36 PM

MCW

GOBB
03-09-2015, 08:19 PM

Because he's not cleared for practice let alone playing in a game. What reason do you have to play Embiid the last 20 games or so

DukeDelonte13
03-09-2015, 08:47 PM

Embiid's potential dwarfs that of Noel's.

jimmy77x
03-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Greg Oden part 2...

SwishSquared
03-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Will be visiting with his doctor in LA soon, though unclear if routine check-up or appointment was made after "the dunk" happened. Source:
http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-76ers/source-joel-embiid-scheduled-checkup-after-reported-setback

Alamо
03-09-2015, 09:38 PM
Endless tank is endless

bluechox2
03-09-2015, 10:00 PM
the next oden

SwishSquared
03-10-2015, 12:41 AM
Deleted tweet by Embiid:
http://imgur.com/W2juV2s

Report could be false information by team to tone down the "Why isn't he playing?" talk...Seems a similar course of action was taken when it was leaked he was 300 pounds, though it was clear that hadn't happened.

poido123
03-10-2015, 12:57 AM
Why should a team be allowed to blatantly tank?

Seems against everything that is basketball. Time to change rules and reward teams for overachieving.

hawksdogsbraves
03-10-2015, 01:00 AM
Why should a team be allowed to blatantly tank?

Seems against everything that is basketball. Time to change rules and reward teams for overachieving.

Meh who cares. The 6ers are going to wind up with Noel, Stanley Johnson, a broken down Embiid, and a playoffs treadmill team by the time they're done anyway.

poido123
03-10-2015, 01:03 AM
Meh who cares. The 6ers are going to wind up with Noel, Stanley Johnson, a broken down Embiid, and a playoffs treadmill team by the time they're done anyway.

It won't always work, but it should never be an option for a professional basketball team.

I mean, what would be wrong for a team recieving a percentage bonus in the draft if they outperform their previous year based on percentage win change?

Seems logical to me.

hawksdogsbraves
03-10-2015, 01:04 AM
It won't always work, but it should never be an option for a professional basketball team.

I mean, what would be wrong for a team recieving a percentage bonus in the draft if they outperform their previous year based on percentage win change?

Seems logical to me.

I guess, but that would give teams more reason to bench their star, (like the Knicks with Melo) if the season starts poorly.

There's a happy medium out there somewhere, I'm sure we'll get there in a couple years.

poido123
03-10-2015, 01:22 AM
I guess, but that would give teams more reason to bench their star, (like the Knicks with Melo) if the season starts poorly.

There's a happy medium out there somewhere, I'm sure we'll get there in a couple years.

Rule would still work.

It's based on previous year performance. A team isn't going to throw away two years to gain a small raise in the draft percentage. Melo sitting out would only hurt the team's chances of overcoming the previous year.

Given a little bit more thought, they could certainly find a way to work the rule so it cannot be exploited or manipulated.

coin24
03-10-2015, 02:08 AM
They really need to address the tanking problem, it makes the regular season even more unwatchable:facepalm

GOBB
03-10-2015, 12:28 PM
You fairies need to stfu about tanking. Before tanking u cried about the east being so weak. Cry cry cry

They really need to address the tanking problem, it makes the regular season even more unwatchable:facepalm

Your lakers haven't been watchable last two seasons. :confusedshrug: