PDA

View Full Version : Which players in NBA history do you think Anthony Davis definitively CANNOT surpass?

Milbuck
03-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Which players in NBA history do you think Anthony Davis has 0% chance of surpassing *as a player*...so not career accolades, legacy, etc. Just as an individual basketball player, who are the guys that are undoubtedly out of his reach in your opinion?

navy
03-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Dude only scores on assisted buckets and putbacks.

Not impressed.

Wade's Rings
03-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Which players in NBA history do you think Anthony Davis has 0% chance of surpassing *as a player*...so not career accolades, legacy, etc. Just as an individual basketball player, who are the guys that are undoubtedly out of his reach in your opinion?

D-GOAT aka Dwyane Wade but for real I would say maybe Kareem, Hakeem, and Shaq.

Wade's Rings
03-09-2015, 10:50 PM

Not impressed.

His Jumper was wet Tonight or was that only this night?

inclinerator
lebron james

Milbuck

Not impressed.
I know you're being trolling...but his shot chart from tonight:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_s7psLUgAAorSA.jpg

43/10/6 on 17/23 shooting

navy
03-09-2015, 10:55 PM
Trolling. He's solid.

Dude is like a mix of KG and Dirk as Milbuck put it.

He could reach the top or he could stop improving, we shall see.

Shot in the dark guess is that he never makes it to the top 10.

Johnny Jones

Man ad has some long ass arms. It's amazing watching him get 18 foot put backs.

Prime_Shaq
MJ, Kareem and Shaq

T_L_P
Cannot say anyone definitively, but I think he maxes out in the tier just above Ewing.

He certainly has top 8 big man of all time potential, but I don't necessarily think he'll reach it.

Which players do you think he cannot surpass?

Marchesk
03-09-2015, 10:56 PM

dat DavisBrook doe :eek:

Milbuck
03-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Cannot say anyone definitively, but I think he maxes out in the tier just above Ewing.

He certainly has top ten big man of all time potential, but I don't necessarily think he'll reach it.

Peak-wise? Jordan, Kareem, Shaq...probably Wilt too but I haven't seen much Wilt footage at all, so I'd just be putting his name there out of respect. I think anyone else, he's got a shot.

Who is right above the Ewing tier for you? I honestly think he's already in Ewing's tier as an individual player..not career-wise obviously..not saying he's as good, but he's in that general area. Dude is just 21, I find it incredibly hard to believe he plateaus that severely..I think the next level for him is that Duncan/KG/Dirk/Malone/Barkley tier, imho.

iamgine
03-09-2015, 11:06 PM
There's really no 0% certainty...simply because AD still has time to do a lot of improving. How much improvement? We don't know. We do know he has the tool to surpass anyone in history.

I'd say he has a pretty low chance of surpassing David Robinson onwards.

plowking
03-09-2015, 11:06 PM

Dude has learned how to putback and dunk from 18 feet out.

Will never make it, needs to develop the rest of his game.

Wade's Rings
03-09-2015, 11:11 PM

He certainly has top 8 big man of all time potential, but I don't necessarily think he'll reach it.

What's the tier above Ewing for you? Which players do you believe he won't pass?

IncarceratedBob
03-09-2015, 11:14 PM
He's already better skill wise than Tim Duncan, all he needs is team accomplishments

DaRkJaWs
03-09-2015, 11:14 PM
In terms of being an all around player: wilt, Kareem, MJ, magic, Larry bird. Everyone else he can pass, including that overrated Shaq.

notatop29pg
03-09-2015, 11:16 PM

His mid range is pretty much automatic every game. I'd say he has an off shooting night every 5-6 games, but will then just score more on the inside.

Tonight he was hitting everything though, drives, pullups, running jumpers, fallaways... you name it.

T_L_P
03-09-2015, 11:18 PM
What's the tier above Ewing for you? Which players do you believe he won't pass?

Again, I can't say anyone for sure, but I don't think he will surpass these players (and this is based purely on ability/impact, not accolades):

Kareem
Hakeem
Duncan
Shaq
Robinson
Garnett
Moses

Not listing Russell or Wilt. Game was completely different, there's not a lot of footage...

That's why I edited my post from 10 (which included Russell/Wilt to 8).

I definitely think he can surpass Malone/Barkley/Hayes...on the fence about Dirk (he stepped his game up in the Playoffs and we still haven't seen AD in a Playoff game, so we can't know yet).

I should edit my original post and just say 'in the tier above Ewing'. Davis will go down as the better player. He's already playing better than Ewing ever did.

dubeta
03-09-2015, 11:22 PM
His peak is probably Pau Gasol ie. best player on back to back championships

notatop29pg
03-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Again, I can't say anyone for sure, but I don't think he will surpass these players (and this is based purely on ability/impact, not accolades):

Kareem
Hakeem
Duncan
Shaq
Robinson
Garnett
Moses

Not listing Russell or Wilt. Game was completely different, there's not a lot of footage...

That's why I edited my post from 10 (which included Russell/Wilt to 8).

I definitely think he can surpass Malone/Barkley/Hayes...on the fence about Dirk (he stepped his game up in the Playoffs and we still haven't seen AD in a Playoff game, so we can't know yet).

I should edit my original post and just say 'in the tier above Ewing'. Davis will go down as the better player. He's already playing better than Ewing ever did.

I think he'll slot in right below Shaq.

Stats wise he'll average 25/10/3/2 with maybe 2-4 assists for the next 10 years, accolades will decide his final standing.

I think he's better now than Garnett was at the same age.

T_L_P
03-09-2015, 11:23 PM
He's already better skill wise than Tim Duncan, all he needs is team accomplishments

Prime Duncan was a better rebounder, passer, defender, and he scored in more ways (his post game was a lot stronger than Davis').

AD is a more efficient scorer, and he turns the ball over a lot less.

How does that make him more skilled?

navy
03-09-2015, 11:24 PM
IncarceratedBob is lowkey the best poster on this forum. TLP doesnt even know.

zoom17
03-09-2015, 11:28 PM
He won't even pass Prime KG or Dirk.

T_L_P
03-09-2015, 11:29 PM
I think he'll slot in right below Shaq.

Stats wise he'll average 25/10/3/2 with maybe 2-4 assists for the next 10 years, accolades will decide his final standing.

I think he's better now than Garnett was at the same age.

At his age, and going by trajectory, you are absolutely right.

He's better at 21 than just about anyone.

Problem is, I don't think he will improve greatly from what he already is. And I have nothing to back that I up, I just do. :confusedshrug:

G-train
03-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Obviously it's possible he could be the GOAT.
Small chance but possible.

Milbuck
03-09-2015, 11:32 PM
At his age, and going by trajectory, you are absolutely right.

He's better at 21 than just about anyone.

Problem is, I don't think he will improve greatly from what he already is. And I have nothing to back that I up, I just do. :confusedshrug:
He has plenty to improve on imo. He can always work on his back to the basket game, add legit 3 point range to his jumper, refine his passing (he has the vision), become a better leader, keep becoming a smarter defender, continue to bulk up and physically mature, etc. It sounds ridiculous considering how good he already is but the dude still has a ton of stuff to improve on.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Other than refining his game (which will obviously help him improve), I think this was his true breakout year. I don't suspect next year, or the following, he will look like he improved as much as he has from last year to this year.

Basically, imo, this is the start of his prime and we haven't seen his peak yet. I see him as one of those players who hit a career high around 27-ish for a season and then drops back down to his normal 22-25 range with everything else he brings to the table.

Kind of like what Duncan had in 2002. A consistent 21-23 scorer, then one year he average almost 26 a game... Then back to his comfort zone. Same with Ewing. One year he goes for 29 a game and it's surrounded by 13 or so other years of 21-24 ppg.

ie, more refined version of what we see now is what I expect he will be for the next 12+ years. I doubt this was another building block year and next year he averages 28/12/2/3/2, and that becomes his median. Maybe something like that for a season or two and then he comes back down to earth like they all do.

fsvr54
03-09-2015, 11:57 PM
AD is better than Dirk has ever been.

Defense, kids?

KungFuJoe
03-09-2015, 11:59 PM
I say he can definitely break into the top 10 all time. That's just him as a player. Once you break into the top 10, the rest is really up to accolades...rings, mvps, etc.

Milbuck
03-10-2015, 12:13 AM
Other than refining his game (which will obviously help him improve), I think this was his true breakout year. I don't suspect next year, or the following, he will look like he improved as much as he has from last year to this year.

Basically, imo, this is the start of his prime and we haven't seen his peak yet. I see him as one of those players who hit a career high around 27-ish for a season and then drops back down to his normal 22-25 range with everything else he brings to the table.

Kind of like what Duncan had in 2002. A consistent 21-23 scorer, then one year he average almost 26 a game... Then back to his comfort zone. Same with Ewing. One year he goes for 29 a game and it's surrounded by 13 or so other years of 21-24 ppg.

ie, more refined version of what we see now is what I expect he will be for the next 12+ years. I doubt this was another building block year and next year he averages 28/12/2/3/2, and that becomes his median. Maybe something like that for a season or two and then he comes back down to earth like they all do.
Well, if he does have one of those Ewing-esque 28-29 ppg seasons in between a bunch of lower scoring seasons, where would you rank that peak? Assuming he develops physically, defensively, mentally, etc. It's not like he'd just be chucking shots to get to 29 ppg, a big man doesn't put up 29 ppg in today's guard-oriented league without serious game. If he's putting up something like 29/13/4/3/2 on 50%+ shooting, with the HOF defense we're projecting him to develop, on a winning team...that's up there with any big man to play this side of Shaq, Kareem, and Wilt imo.

Lodi Dodi
03-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Right now I think at most he could insert himself at the Top 10-15 All-Time range. He has steadily improved every season and it's remarkable to see where he is at considering his age. Also, it's worth considering that it usually takes longer for Big Men to develop/reach prime than their perimeter counterparts.

thefatmiral
03-10-2015, 01:23 AM
without much playoff success with him as the team leader he will go down similiar to robinson. not many elite bigs to compete against though

Timmy D for MVP
03-10-2015, 02:13 AM
I mean it's really early to ask that. But I don't see any reason to not say he could be a top-10 player if we're talking about absolute limits.

I think it's reasonable that he is a top-50 type legend when it's all said and done. This of course relies on good health. But his talents are unbelievable and he looks like he's got next for best player in the world honors a few years from now.

J Shuttlesworth
03-10-2015, 02:34 AM

Not impressed.
Bird-feeding on a team called "Pelicans" SMH :facepalm Almost as bad as what Korver does on the hawks

Darius
03-10-2015, 10:09 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't cap his potential.

He has pretty much every basketball skill and the perfect basketball body.

Asukal
03-10-2015, 10:49 AM
He needs to have that winner's mentality the greats have. In short, he needs to develop his mental game. Prove that he can be a leader of a winning squad. Perform great in the biggest stages of the post season. Regular season is fine and all but ANYBODY can have a great game if the pressure is off (see wilt). :oldlol:

LAZERUSS
03-10-2015, 11:11 AM
He needs to have that winner's mentality the greats have. In short, he needs to develop his mental game. Prove that he can be a leader of a winning squad. Perform great in the biggest stages of the post season. Regular season is fine and all but ANYBODY can have a great game if the pressure is off (see wilt). :oldlol:

Or see West, who went 0-7 before Chamberlain carried him to his first ring. Obviously he was a player who choked in his biggest games.

Or Baylor who never did win a ring. Must have been a big-time choker in his Finals.

Or the laughable Hakeem, who was blown out in the First Round in over HAL of his 15 playoff seasons.

Or Bird, who could only win three rings while surrounded with as many as FOUR more HOFers. Hell, he often puked in his playoffs.

Or Kareem, who went to TWO Finals, and won ONE ring in his first TEN seasons.

All of the above,...the greatest "chokers" in NBA history.

FreezingTsmoove
03-10-2015, 11:30 AM
No one this is going to be his league in his 28-29 yr old prime. Simmilar to how it was the big 3s league after everyone else got older. Who would have thought the 2003 draft class would take over the finals for multiple years. Will look forward to Anothony Davis vs that Duke kid in many finals

Im saying AD gets 4 rings

Asukal
03-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Or see West, who went 0-7 before Chamberlain carried him to his first ring. Obviously he was a player who choked in his biggest games.

Or Baylor who never did win a ring. Must have been a big-time choker in his Finals.

Or the laughable Hakeem, who was blown out in the First Round in over HAL of his 15 playoff seasons.

Or Bird, who could only win three rings while surrounded with as many as FOUR more HOFers. Hell, he often puked in his playoffs.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

dubeta
03-10-2015, 01:26 PM

:roll:, lets be serious it was CLEARLY West's team, Wilt was just along for the ride

LAZERUSS
03-10-2015, 01:29 PM
:roll:, lets be serious it was CLEARLY West's team, Wilt was just along for the ride

:roll: :roll: :roll:

You mean the West who shot .376 in that playoff run? The West who shot .325 in his Finals?

Yep...the Wilt. who by all accounts, outplayed the reigning MVP in the WCF's, and then went on to win a FMVP with a 19-23 7 bpg .600 FG% Finals.

Uncle Drew
03-10-2015, 01:30 PM
And to think we were a lost coin flip away from getting him...

dubeta
03-10-2015, 01:38 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

You mean the West who shot .376 in that playoff run? The West who shot .325 in his Finals?

Yep...the Wilt. who by all accounts, outplayed the reigning MVP in the WCF's, and then went on to win a FMVP with a 19-23 7 bpg .600 FG% Finals.

Only 19ppg in the 60's, and still won FMVP :roll:

Heck any one of us time travelled back there could average 19ppg on 60%

ArbitraryWater
03-10-2015, 02:45 PM
D-GOAT aka Dwyane Wade but for real I would say maybe Kareem, Hakeem, and Shaq.

He can't surpass Kareem, Hakeem and Shaq but he can surpass Jordan

riseagainst
03-10-2015, 02:48 PM
lebron james