PDA

View Full Version : Who was tha worst season MVP ever?

Real14
03-10-2015, 08:05 AM
There's many former season MVPs who didn't deserve their award like 06 Nash
12 bronna, and 13 bronna. I want to know which season MVP was the worst MVP who didn't deserve it mainly due to their poor team record and team's place in their conference. I thought of this because of tha a.d23 and Questbrook MVP talks. Who was the worst that actually won it with team that wasn't that good?

Mr Exlax
03-10-2015, 08:10 AM
You're a Knick fan so I don't expect you to know what good basketball looks like. You've literally never seen it in your lifetime.

Real14
03-10-2015, 08:14 AM
You're a Knick fan so I don't expect you to know what good basketball looks like. You've literally never seen it in your lifetime.
:biggums: knicks fan since 93-94 dummy.

Mr Exlax
03-10-2015, 08:15 AM
You might have been born either one of those years, but you weren't a fan. You were too young to even understand basketball. Kinda like now.

NZStreetBaller
03-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Kevin durants mum. i didnt watch all of the nba season games last year and never actually saw her play. So excuse this. But honestly after watching the stretch that kd had once westbrook was injured. Kevin durant so should've won.

I dont care what mumstans say:no:

Real14
03-10-2015, 08:22 AM
You might have been born either one of those years, but you weren't a fan. You were too young to even understand basketball. Kinda like now.
Why you so salty man?:oldlol: Everybody knows that I was born in 86, but I guess tha truth hurts you so damn deeply that you make up an age for me:lol

Sakkreth
03-10-2015, 08:57 AM
People don't make fun of Real14, it's not nice to make fun of people with disabilities. Also he's probably going through some tough stuff atm, most udnerrated team in the east N.Y. Knicks currently have worst record in the league. Your behaviour might push him to do some really bad stuff to himself. Think about it.

ISHGoat
03-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Derrick Rose by far. Has there ever been an MVP who barely plays the next three seasons or whatever, and is on the fringe of retirement?

deja vu
03-10-2015, 09:35 AM
This is like the 100th thread on this topic.

But if I have to answer, I think it's Steve Nash in 2005 and 2006.

ralph_i_el
03-10-2015, 10:26 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10349828#post10349828

beastee
03-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Derrick Rose by far. Has there ever been an MVP who barely plays the next three seasons or whatever, and is on the fringe of retirement?
You don't vote an MVP based on what they will do the next 3 seasons after. This is just stupid logic.

Human Error
03-10-2015, 10:33 AM
1. Rose
2. Iverson
3. Kobe
4. Nash

anyonebutmiami
03-10-2015, 10:51 AM
DIRK !!! by 100 miles...

he may be a shooting god, but he is one of the worst defensive
players in NBA history!!!

Ne 1
03-10-2015, 10:52 AM
1. Rose
2. Iverson
3. Kobe
4. Nash
What a joke. You clearly didn't watch Kobe in '08, or are far too biased to discuss him. Kobe arguably had the best season of his career. At worst, it's top 2 with 2006. 2008 was definitely his most all around season so people need to stop saying it was a "lifetime achievement award." He was still the best scorer in the league, but he played better defense than he had since the 3peat and the only time his playmaking has rivaled 2008 was the 2001 playoffs, and Kobe sustained it for an entire season in 2008. What he did with that Laker team with all of the injuries and how unbeatable they were with Gasol was clearly MVP-worthy. He was obviously the best player in the game that year.
The Lakers were 25-11 early at the time of Bynum's injury, Kobe kept them going until they got Gasol, then Gasol was injured and he kept them going and they ended up with the best record in one of the most competitive conferences ever. Kobe's balance between getting his teammates involved early and taking over later was reminiscent of Jordan that season. He was a great playmaker, a deadly scorer who did play unselfishly for the most part, he rebounded very well for a guard and he had his best defensive season since the 3peat.

Kobe deserved the 2008 MVP.

ISHGoat
03-10-2015, 10:53 AM
What a joke. You clearly didn't watch Kobe in '08, or are far too biased to discuss him. Kobe arguably had the best season of his career. At worst, it's top 2 with 2006. 2008 was definitely his most all around season so people need to stop saying it was a "lifetime achievement award." He was still the best scorer in the league, but he played better defense than he had since the 3peat and the only time his playmaking has rivaled 2008 was the 2001 playoffs, and Kobe sustained it for an entire season in 2008. What he did with that Laker team with all of the injuries and how unbeatable they were with Gasol was clearly MVP-worthy. He was obviously the best player in the game that year.
The Lakers were 25-11 early at the time of Bynum's injury, Kobe kept them going until they got Gasol, then Gasol was injured and he kept them going and they ended up with the best record in one of the most competitive conferences ever. Kobe's balance between getting his teammates involved early and taking over later was reminiscent of Jordan that season. He was a great playmaker, a deadly scorer who did play unselfishly for the most part, he rebounded very well for a guard and he had his best defensive season since the 3peat.

Kobe deserved the 2008 MVP.

tldr

bro you just went full pauk

never go full pauk

Pointguard
03-10-2015, 10:55 AM
This is your mind as a clueless hater. You obviously have no clue on how MVP works.

ISHGoat
03-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Look at DRose's stats that yr, then look at Westbrook's.

midatlantic09
03-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Nash is probably the worst MVP in the past 25-30 years. Dude put up Deron Williams numbers, while playing lousy defense, and somehow won two MVPs.

His MVPs are a joke and should not be respected, imo.

I<3NBA
03-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Nash's MVPs are well-deserved. he took that Suns team and made it into a contender.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Nash is probably the worst MVP in the past 25-30 years. Dude put up Deron Williams numbers, while playing lousy defense, and somehow won two MVPs.

His MVPs are a joke and should not be respected, imo.

Do you not understand how MVP works? Most valuable player =/= best player.

Phoenix won 62 games in 2004-2005 (best record in the league) and 54 in 2005-2006 (3rd best record). He was deemed most valuable player for his role in their records, plus his shooting numbers were amazing (50-40-90 in 2005-2006, missed it on FTs in 2004-2005 by 1.3%). It's the same reason Derrick Rose won, if you're going to criticize Nash for value > production then that has to be extended to all years where the best player didn't win.

Prime_Shaq
03-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Shaq > Nash in 2005. Better player and more valuable.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Shaq > Nash in 2005. Better player and more valuable.

It may have gone to Nash due to the change in Phoenix's record from 2003-2004 to 2004-2005. The season before Nash got there Phoenix went 29-53; his first year saw them go 62-20. Shaq added 17 wins to Miami (42-40 => 59-23) compared to Nash's 33. I'm not saying that Nash getting it was necessarily justified but there's clearly an argument to be made about how much Nash contributed.

JtotheIzzo
03-10-2015, 12:28 PM
:biggums: knicks fan since 93-94 dummy.

So you are a grown man?

Wow, just, wow.

Paul George 24
03-10-2015, 12:31 PM
There's many former season MVPs who didn't deserve their award like 06 Nash
12 bronna, and 13 bronna. I want to know which season MVP was the worst MVP who didn't deserve it mainly due to their poor team record and team's place in their conference. I thought of this because of tha a.d23 and Questbrook MVP talks. Who was the worst that actually won it with team that wasn't that good?

LEBRON JAMES

midatlantic09
03-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Do you not understand how MVP works? Most valuable player =/= best player.

Which never made sense to me. How can one be the most valuable player in the league, but not even be a top 5 player? The "best player" should objectively, in theory, be the most valuable player simply because the best player would likely give ANY team they go to the largest boost when compared to the boost other players would have on any team they go to. For example, I'm pretty sure there were at least 3 other players in the NBA in 04/05 and 05/06 that would have made a larger impact on the Suns than Nash did (Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, possibly Shaq, Tim Duncan, KG, etc). Nash was simply a guy in the right place at the right time and cashed in on the situation.

That said, the entire definition of "MVP" needs to be redefined.

dubeta
03-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Kobe, Rose, Durant

Take your pick

Marchesk
03-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Wes Unseld in 68/69 won an MVP averaging 13.8 points a game, as a rookie. Imagine anyone in the modern era winning an MVP on only 13.8 ppg. And his FG% was only 47.6, for a center.

Smoke117
03-10-2015, 02:17 PM

Yes. Bill Walton.

midatlantic09
03-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Kobe, Rose, Durant

Take your pick

:biggums:

24-Inch_Chrome
03-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Which never made sense to me. How can one be the most valuable player in the league, but not even be a top 5 player? The "best player" should objectively, in theory, be the most valuable player simply because the best player would likely give ANY team they go to the largest boost when compared to the boost other players would have on any team they go to. For example, I'm pretty sure there were at least 3 other players in the NBA in 04/05 and 05/06 that would have made a larger impact on the Suns than Nash did (Kobe, Dirk, Shaq, Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, KG, etc).

That said, the entire definition of "MVP" needs to be redefined.

I agree with you on the first point, I wish the MVP went to the best player. Unfortunately it doesn't, so we've gotta take impact into account when determining the legitimacy of an MVP. Some of those players may well have had a bigger impact on the Suns that season, but it ended up being Nash and not any of them that was seen as the key to increasing the Suns' win total by 33 in the span of a season (referring to the 2004-2005 season).

I'll add that value, which generally translates to team success, is becoming a larger part of the MVP discussion across multiple sports. Mike Trout missed 2 MVPs in MLB and JJ Watt didn't win MVP this year in the NFL despite them being the individual best players in the respective seasons, all because their teams didn't do well.

mattvNJ
03-10-2015, 02:46 PM
Wes Unseld in 68/69 won an MVP averaging 13.8 points a game, as a rookie. Imagine anyone in the modern era winning an MVP on only 13.8 ppg. And his FG% was only 47.6, for a center.

guy averaged almost 20 rebounds a game... and 3 assists. Not to mention they did not take blocks/steals into account. Although they were never his forte. No one average 14/19 right now, i dont think anyone would be terribly mad at an MVP with those stats.

Nashty
03-10-2015, 04:45 PM
The most overrated player of all time: Chuckbe Bryant

Marchesk
03-10-2015, 04:52 PM
guy averaged almost 20 rebounds a game... and 3 assists. Not to mention they did not take blocks/steals into account. Although they were never his forte. No one average 14/19 right now, i dont think anyone would be terribly mad at an MVP with those stats.

Yeah but there was this other rookie named Hayes who put up:

28.4/17.1/1.4 on 44.7%

I think Oscar's 24.7/6.4/9.8 on 48.6% was better also.

Pointguard
03-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Look at DRose's stats that yr, then look at Westbrook's.
Rose stats were very, very similar to Curry's this year. And Curry will win it this year, and Rose carried his team more than Curry did. Both teams were number 1 in defense. Curry barely leads his team in scoring. But he's going to beat out Westbrook for MVP this year.

Pointguard
03-10-2015, 05:18 PM

28.4/17.1/1.4 on 44.7%

That's why they don't do it by stats. While Hayes was worth 20 wins, so was Unseld, but the Bullets were contenders off of one player. Unseld was definitely a better player despite the stats. Even when they were on the same team with Hayes rebounding more and scoring more than double Unseld's amount, this wasn't a question as to who meant more to the team.

Human Error
03-10-2015, 05:58 PM
The most overrated player of all time: Chuckbe Bryant
Good call. :applause:

AnaheimLakers24
03-10-2015, 06:03 PM
tldr

never go full pauk
It was two paragraphs you moron
Go back to reading captain underpants, you dimwit

FKAri
03-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Did people not watch Steve Nash or the Suns? Every year there's more and more haters. What he did was amazing. It was a team tailor made for him, but his play and contribution were MVP worthy.

aj1987
03-10-2015, 07:31 PM

28.4/17.1/1.4 on 44.7%

37 wins
41 wins
57 wins

Billy Cunningham and Reed deserved it more though.

YouGotServed
03-10-2015, 07:33 PM
tldr

never go full pauk

:lol

Rat poison.

Prime_Shaq
03-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Did people not watch Steve Nash or the Suns? Every year there's more and more haters. What he did was amazing. It was a team tailor made for him, but his play and contribution were MVP worthy.
Did you not watch Shaq with the Heat? Did more with less. Shaq doesn't need a system tailor made for him to play MVP level ball.

DMAVS41
03-10-2015, 10:56 PM
C
Rose stats were very, very similar to Curry's this year. And Curry will win it this year, and Rose carried his team more than Curry did. Both teams were number 1 in defense. Curry barely leads his team in scoring. But he's going to beat out Westbrook for MVP this year.

Just don't see how they are that similar unless you stop at raw numbers.

An 8% TS gap is ****ing enormous.

Also, the Warriors are better with Curry than the Bulls were with Rose. And much worse without Curry than the Bulls were without Rose.

Also, the Warriors play in a far tougher conference.

Also, I think Curry has played vastly under-rated defense this year. He's been an asset on the defensive end. You don't see the Warriors getting demonstrably better without him on defense they way the Bulls did without Rose. In fact, they get worse on defense without him.

Curry has been much better this year than Rose was in 11 unless you ignore a lot...

Fire Colangelo
03-11-2015, 12:29 AM
C

Also, the Warriors are better with Curry than the Bulls were with Rose. And much worse without Curry than the Bulls were without Rose.

Also, I think Curry has played vastly under-rated defense this year. He's been an asset on the defensive end. You don't see the Warriors getting demonstrably better without him on defense they way the Bulls did without Rose. In fact, they get worse on defense without him.

Curry has been much better this year than Rose was in 11 unless you ignore a lot...

Maybe it's because the Warriors much more offensive options than the Bulls did that Curry is shooting a high %..?

Not to mention the Eastern conference generally play a much more slow paced defensive oriented game compared to the Western Conference.

I can't even remember who backed up Derrick Rose back in 2011 off the top of my head without looking it up.... CJ Watson?

While the Warriors have Iggy, Livingston, etc both can handle playmaking duties for the Warriors.

They're around equal IMO, weak MVP candidates that people are going to bitch about in a couple years.

DatAsh
03-11-2015, 01:01 AM
I'd take this years curry over MVP Rose, but it's close.

Pointguard
03-11-2015, 01:41 AM

Wow, 8% points is enormous. So when Terry rocked 60% points over Dirk in the finals - and over a 100% in the final three games, what is that called???

TS is a garbage stat for point guards. Only a complete idiot would run to TS for a point guard comparison. Especially one playing in a system oriented game with numerous shooters vs an almost sole creator for his team without a consistent shooter or finisher. The point guard position is the adjustment position. The decision maker on attacks. The one who creates. The guy who controls the game. Rose role was not to be efficient, it was to stay on attack, create chaos. That's a complete system in GS. I want to hear you compare it to what was in Chi-town that couldn't break a trap when they were throwing the kitchen sink at Rose.

Rose missed one game that year so it absolutely means nothing. So what are you basing this on? Wait... You are going to that incredibly stupid nonsense about CJ Watson being better than Rose thing again are you? You can't help yourself. Just spare us and don't do this incredibly stupid shat again. Really.

The Bulls absolutely dominated the West elite after 20 games in. Even did so without key players.

:lol There it is. Name me the elite point guard that came off on Rose that year? Just name one? 70% of Rose with Meniscus issues, went into GS and at the end of the game GS wasn't even looking for Curry. And Rose ends up rocking the game winner with Curry not guarding him - no switch or anything. Kyrie and Westbrook had big games on Curry or his better guard defender. And Rose always guards his man. This great defense is you lying yet again. I think Curry is great, but destroying you is better.

Reggie43
03-11-2015, 02:59 AM
Rose gets my vote as the worst, followed by Nash.

AintNoSunshine
03-11-2015, 03:24 AM
:roll:

ImKobe
03-11-2015, 03:38 AM

Sure, but he had so much help and his numbers are inflated from the pace they played at.

Shaq deserved it in 05 and Kobe/Lebron/Duncan in 06.