PDA

View Full Version : you play 82 games to win MVP and 7 max to win FMVP. MVP >>> FMVP

k0kakw0rld
03-11-2015, 10:24 AM
FMVP award is a stupid award. Anybody can get hot and win it. Duncan got robbed cause of that, last year. :pimp:

I<3NBA
03-11-2015, 10:27 AM
you play 82 games and get nothing.

you play 7 games and get the championship.

FMVP and MVP is the difference between a championship and merely a playoff appearance.

r15mohd
03-11-2015, 10:29 AM
a regular season MVP followed by the FMVP is the true test...dominate through and through

k0kakw0rld
03-11-2015, 10:29 AM
you play 82 games and get nothing.

you play 16 games and get the championship.

FMVP and MVP is the difference between a championship and merely a playoff appearance.
To win FMVP playoffs stats dont matter. Duncan >>>>> Kawhi

riseagainst
03-11-2015, 10:30 AM
right, because former FMVP winners would rather trade in their FMVP's for MVP's.

:oldlol:

tmacattack33
03-11-2015, 10:33 AM
And in most of those 82 games, the players are thinking more about partying in the club later that night.

In most of the 4-7 Finals games, the players are locked in completely and are participating in the biggest event of the careers.

plowking
03-11-2015, 10:38 AM
When has this not been the case.

The MVP has and always will be the most prestigious individual award in basketball. When you're a kid you dream of being the MVP and a champion.

The difference between the MVP and the FMVP is that players that have won the FMVP aren't necessarily good enough to win the MVP. Yet the opposite given the circumstances isn't true.

Greatness is measured by consistency, which is exactly what the MVP represents. You think people are going to remember Billups or Barkley in 50 years? Cedric Maxwell or David Robinson?

ClipperRevival
03-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Hakeem won NBA MVP, Finals MVP and DPOY in 1993-94. Legendary stuff.

riseagainst
03-11-2015, 10:45 AM

The MVP has and always will be the most prestigious individual award in basketball. When you're a kid you dream of being the MVP and a champion.

The difference between the MVP and the FMVP is that players that have won the FMVP aren't necessarily good enough to win the MVP. Yet the opposite given the circumstances isn't true.

Greatness is measured by consistency, which is exactly what the MVP represents. You think people are going to remember Billups or Barkley in 50 years? Cedric Maxwell or David Robinson?

Both Barkley and Robinson are mostly remembered for their playoff chokes. Especially Robinson.

plowking
03-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Both Barkley and Robinson are mostly remembered for their playoff chokes. Especially Robinson.

You're a shitty basketball fan if that is what you remember them for. But I knew that before you posted your reply.

Lebron23
03-11-2015, 10:52 AM
You're a shitty basketball fan if that is what you remember them for. But I knew that before you posted your reply.

This

Papaya Petee
03-11-2015, 11:38 AM

50 years from now

Wade or Rose
Isiah or Nash

aj1987
03-11-2015, 11:43 AM
right, because former FMVP winners would rather trade in their FMVP's for MVP's.

Kawhi probably would. Dude would be making max money, if he wins an MVP. FMVP's don't necessarily get you the max. That's ~$50M-$60M difference in his paycheck.

Prime_Shaq
03-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Kawhi probably would. Dude would be making max money, if he wins an MVP. FMVP's don't necessarily get you the max. That's ~$50M-$60M difference in his paycheck.
Money can't buy you championships though

guy
03-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Duncan got robbed last year anyway. Kawai barely did anything the first 2 games. Pretty messed up. Duncan would be the lone #2 leader in FMVPs instead of sharing that with Shaq and Magic.

SugarHill
03-11-2015, 12:31 PM
50 years from now

Wade or Rose
Isiah or Nash

Malone or Billups
Barkley or Kawhi

Nikola_
03-11-2015, 12:54 PM
since '69

Jerry West*[a] Guard United States Los Angeles Lakers
John Havlicek* Forward/Guard United States Boston Celtics
Rick Barry* Forward United States Golden State Warriors
Jo Jo White Guard United States Boston Celtics (2)
Dennis Johnson* Guard United States Seattle SuperSonics
Cedric Maxwell Forward United States Boston Celtics (3)
James Worthy* Forward United States Los Angeles Lakers (7)
Joe Dumars* Guard United States Detroit Pistons
Isiah Thomas* Guard United States Detroit Pistons (2)
Chauncey Billups Guard United States Detroit Pistons (3)
Dwyane Wade^ Guard United States Miami Heat
Tony Parker^ Guard France[e] San Antonio Spurs (4)
Paul Pierce^ Forward United States Boston Celtics (6)
Kawhi Leonard^ Forward United States San Antonio Spurs (5)

Dave Cowens* Center United States Boston Celtics (7)
Bob McAdoo* Forward/Center United States Buffalo Braves
Julius Erving* Forward United States Philadelphia 76ers (4)
Charles Barkley* Forward United States Phoenix Suns
David Robinson* Center United States San Antonio Spurs
Karl Malone* Forward United States Utah Jazz
Karl Malone* (2) Forward United States Utah Jazz (2)
Allen Iverson Guard United States Philadelphia 76ers (6)
Kevin Garnett^ Forward United States Minnesota Timberwolves
Steve Nash^ Guard Canada[d] Phoenix Suns (2)
Steve Nash^ (2) Guard Canada[d] Phoenix Suns (3)
Derrick Rose^ Guard United States Chicago Bulls (6)
Kevin Durant^ Forward United States Oklahoma City Thunder

FMVP team is not bad, but give me mvps
fmvp/never mvp team actually dont have big guy lol

Smoke117
03-11-2015, 12:55 PM
I didn't realize it was in doubt that MVP is a more prestigious individual award than FMVP?

Paul George 24
03-11-2015, 01:07 PM
FMVP award is a stupid award. Anybody can get hot and win it. Duncan got robbed cause of that, last year. :pimp:

FMVP = WINNER :banana:

tpols
03-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Should be about the ratio.. if you have a mvp:fmvp way > 1, you're probably a choker.. dominate the regular season but give it all up in the playoffs. The lower you're mvp:fmvp ratio the more clutch you likely were.. outperforming your regular season.. how you normally play.

dubeta
03-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Good thread, this is why lebron is better than kobe

Papaya Petee
03-11-2015, 01:50 PM
Should be about the ratio.. if you have a mvp:fmvp way > 1, you're probably a choker.. dominate the regular season but give it all up in the playoffs. The lower you're mvp:fmvp ratio the more clutch you likely were.. outperforming your regular season.. how you normally play.
:roll: what a retarded way to try to prop up Kobe and hate on Lebron.

ISHGoat
03-11-2015, 01:56 PM

I guess guys like Kawhi and Billups are infintely more clutch than Jordan you ****ing retarded kobe stan

dubeta
03-11-2015, 01:59 PM

That shitty analogy implies Kobe is more clutch than even Jordan :roll:

https://swishnba.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/bwtxfczcmae-dec-large.png

tpols
03-11-2015, 02:24 PM
I guess guys like Kawhi and Billups are infintely more clutch than Jordan you ****ing retarded kobe stan
Kawhi raised his offensive game from his role player offense impact reg season to finals by more than anybody in decades last year.. it was completely out the blue.. clutch as fk. Big shot Billups turned many a tide too.

But in general you have to compare all stars to all stars, superstars to superstars etc like any comparison.. only idiots compare guys that are perrenial top 20 or 30 level to guys who are routinely top 5 or better. case in point your post.

Pointguard
03-11-2015, 02:36 PM
If Atlanta plays SA in the finals this year - the MVP could be any of 10 players - and not likely one of which most here will think much of. An MVP is really among the best of among 380(?) players. FMVP is 12 players of a given moment but most likely the better team and not player - Billups over Shaq/Kobe and probably four other players. They're different awards, but Kawhi probably isn't in anybody's top 20 list here.

ButterFace
03-11-2015, 02:38 PM

Some might.

aj1987
03-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Kawhi raised his offensive game from his role player offense impact reg season to finals by more than anybody in decades last year.. it was completely out the blue.. clutch as fk. Big shot Billups turned many a tide too.

But in general you have to compare all stars to all stars, superstars to superstars etc like any comparison.. only idiots compare guys that are perrenial top 20 or 30 level to guys who are routinely top 5 or better. case in point your post.
Magic and KAJ are chokers?

Money can't buy you championships though
I'd rather have $60M than a ring.

J Shuttlesworth
03-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Can someone put this in the "Dumbest things said on ISH" thread ?

ILLsmak
03-11-2015, 05:24 PM

you gotta play x amount of games in the season (and win) as well as win to get to the Finals. I know you might think someone could just be injured all year and randomly appear in the Finals and win Finals MVP... but I don't think that's hugely likely.

FMVP is performance on the highest stage. Anyone can win it... maybe, but they have to play amazing, better than their great-enough-to-get-to-the-Finals teammates... and they have to win.

a FMVP is just as valuable as an MVP because it means you won a ring. You know how many people would trade anything for that? Maybe the fans don't understand, but people go thru their career working hard as hell. Might win an MVP, might play great every day... but never win.

Edit:

If Atlanta plays SA in the finals this year - the MVP could be any of 10 players - and not likely one of which most here will think much of. An MVP is really among the best of among 380(?) players. FMVP is 12 players of a given moment but most likely the better team and not player - Billups over Shaq/Kobe and probably four other players. They're different awards, but Kawhi probably isn't in anybody's top 20 list here.

Yea, but as I said... Billups cuz he BEAT Shaq and Kobe. That in itself is a huge achievement. If you compare that to Nash, I think he wins out. It's like... won back to back mvps... cool. Ended a Dynasty tho.

It's a personal opinion, but I'm sure all of the 'greats' respect FMVPs a lot more than you think. And as there are fluke FMVPS there are probably fluke MVPs.

-Smak

warriorfan
03-11-2015, 05:40 PM
lebron stans trying to downplay the epicness of his choking :oldlol:

plowking
03-11-2015, 06:51 PM
50 years from now

Wade or Rose
Isiah or Nash

You completely missed the point if those are the names you are throwing out.

All of those guys will be remembered. If you think Maxwell and Billups are as comparable as Wade and Isiah than you clearly did miss the point.

Prime_Shaq
03-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Can someone put this in the "Dumbest things said on ISH" thread ?
That thread would blow up if every dumb thing was actually posted there :lol

T_L_P
03-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Outside of a few cases (81 Bird, 04 Wallace, 07 Duncan, etc), the Finals MVP goes to the best player on the title winning team.

That's more important to me than a Regular Season MVP award.

dubeta
03-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Outside of a few cases (81 Bird, 04 Wallace, 05 Manu, etc), the Finals MVP goes to the best player on the title winning team.

fixed

T_L_P
03-11-2015, 08:06 PM
fixed

Glad you agree with my overall point (quoted my post).

Duncan's 3 > Bran's 2. :cheers:

dubeta
03-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Glad you agree with my overall point (quoted my post).

Duncan's 3 > Bran's 2. :cheers:

How did Bran get into this discussion? Rent free much? :oldlol:

T_L_P
03-11-2015, 08:31 PM
How did Bran get into this discussion? Rent free much? :oldlol:

I picked a random example to explain my logic (titles as best player > all, you just said you agree). :cheers:

Prime_Shaq
03-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Outside of a few cases (81 Bird, 04 Wallace, 07 Duncan, etc), the Finals MVP goes to the best player on the title winning team.

KG in 2008 as well (IMO)

T_L_P
03-11-2015, 08:47 PM
KG in 2008 as well (IMO)

Yeah, definitely. Best player in the league that year, along with CP3.

dubeta
03-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Yeah, definitely. Best player in the league that year, along with CP3.

:roll: :roll:

Hey Yo
03-11-2015, 08:59 PM
:bowdown:

owned

RoseCity07
03-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Not really, NBA fans decides MVP and hour after the first game is played.

knicksman
03-11-2015, 09:37 PM
too bad..2/5>>>>everything else

Straight_Ballin
03-11-2015, 09:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjkjAvxgE3g