http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

Wast at just 5. something a month and a half ago iirc. :bowdown:

SugarHill
03-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Middleton? :coleman:

J Shuttlesworth
03-11-2015, 03:45 PM
I said the same thing, but supposedly he's pretty good and makes the most out of his minutes in the game

Done_And_Done
03-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Breaking?

J Shuttlesworth
03-11-2015, 03:58 PM
He's in the top 10 in SF's on the defensive end. Very stacked position for defense

http://i.imgur.com/ZJ0dGbK.png

RoundMoundOfReb
03-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Hel pass ariza so hel be 3rd behind Leonard and green among sf who actually play significant minutes.

DMAVS41
03-11-2015, 04:04 PM

He's been playing great all year. Very good player he's turned into.

Saw this coming last year. Was talking all summer about the Cavs trying to make a trade for him because I think he'd fit perfectly with them.

Pushxx
03-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Are you serious?

RPM and DRPM are even worse than PER. At least the retarded, arbitrary formula for PER is public. ESPN doesn't even show how RPM is calculated. They just say it "takes into account teammates, opponents and additional factors."

:oldlol: @ anybody that actually looks at that stat. What does it tell you?

J Shuttlesworth
03-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Are you serious?

RPM and DRPM are even worse than PER. At least the retarded, arbitrary formula for PER is public. ESPN doesn't even show how RPM is calculated. They just say it "takes into account teammates, opponents and additional factors."

While I do agree to an extent, this is fairly conclusive of the MVP race

http://i.imgur.com/T8kclBb.png

aj1987
03-11-2015, 04:41 PM
Are you serious?

"Player's estimated on-court impact on team performance, measured in net point differential per 100 offensive and defensive possessions."

"Player's estimated on-court impact on team defensive performance, measured in points allowed per 100 defensive possessions"

How hard is that to understand? LeBron leads the league in RAPM as well. He has been better defensively than last season and form the beginning of the season.

Pushxx
03-11-2015, 05:02 PM
"Player's estimated on-court impact on team performance, measured in net point differential per 100 offensive and defensive possessions."

"Player's estimated on-court impact on team defensive performance, measured in points allowed per 100 defensive possessions"

How hard is that to understand? LeBron leads the league in RAPM as well. He has been better defensively than last season and form the beginning of the season.

K go and calculate an example for me and come back to me. There are tons of respectable NBA websites that laugh at arbitrarily calculated stats, especially ones like RPM that has a hidden formula.

aj1987
03-11-2015, 05:06 PM
K go and calculate an example for me and come back to me. There are tons of respectable NBA websites that laugh at arbitrarily calculated stats, especially ones like RPM that has a hidden formula.
They have all those stats on the NBA website. You could go do it if you really wanted to. Anyways, as I said, it's not like this is the only stat which has LeBron there. RAPM has him at #1, IIRC.

Pushxx
03-11-2015, 05:10 PM
They have all those stats on the NBA website. You could go do it if you really wanted to. Anyways, as I said, it's not like this is the only stat which has LeBron there. RAPM has him at #1, IIRC.

I didn't say anything bad about LeBron, dumbass. I'm just saying the statistic is bogus. Read, mother****er.

aj1987
03-11-2015, 05:16 PM
I didn't say anything bad about LeBron, dumbass. I'm just saying the statistic is bogus. Read, mother****er.
Your reading comprehension is on par with a first grader. I'm just using LeBron as an example. Those players are at the top on the lists of other advanced stats as well and are the front runners for MVP. No stat is perfect and needs context when it's used.

SwishSquared
03-11-2015, 05:30 PM
K go and calculate an example for me and come back to me. There are tons of respectable NBA websites that laugh at arbitrarily calculated stats, especially ones like RPM that has a hidden formula.Sauce?

Saw this coming last year. Was talking all summer about the Cavs trying to make a trade for him because I think he'd fit perfectly with them.Agreed. He's a nice fit for almost any team. Good defensive versatility and is hitting like half his corner 3s this year. Would be a great fit alongside Kyrie, LBJ, and Love. He may be getting a little overrated by the analytics crowd but he's a very solid player. Like a poor man's Klay Thompson right now, but perhaps better D/worse O

Dave3
03-11-2015, 05:37 PM

But last year Durant was 4th behind Iggy. That alone would be reason enough for me to throw it out.

HurricaneKid
03-11-2015, 05:40 PM
Are you serious?

RPM (and DRPM) is a simple regression analysis. It takes note of who is on the floor during every point scored in the NBA. Then makes the natural adjustments based on who is on the floor with you, etc.

Now it IS ESPN so I would be surprised if it weren't PI (prior informed) with box score credit, much like xRAPM.

But the goal of regression analysis is to take the name off the jersey to see who actually has impact on the score as players who control the ball and have high counting stats aren't always impactful on the stat that matters: the score (see Gay, Rudy).

RoundMoundOfReb
03-11-2015, 06:18 PM
RPM (and DRPM) is a simple regression analysis. It takes note of who is on the floor during every point scored in the NBA. Then makes the natural adjustments based on who is on the floor with you, etc.

Now it IS ESPN so I would be surprised if it weren't PI (prior informed) with box score credit, much like xRAPM.

But the goal of regression analysis is to take the name off the jersey to see who actually has impact on the score as players who control the ball and have high counting stats aren't always impactful on the stat that matters: the score (see Gay, Rudy).
Pushxx ethered. :oldlol:

navy
03-11-2015, 06:22 PM
But last year Durant was 4th behind Iggy. That alone would be reason enough for me to throw it out.
I wouldnt throw it out, but I wouldnt use it as the end all.

knicksman
03-11-2015, 07:26 PM
I dont see his 2/5 climbing up after this season:lol

Dave3
03-11-2015, 07:37 PM
I wouldnt throw it out, but I wouldnt use it as the end all.
Without knowing how they get the formula though, there's no context around it to be able to know how to use it. Like with PER, we know it's an efficiency stat, so you use it in the context of 2 players who play similar minutes and roles to compare them. With this thing though, we don't even know in which case it's useful and in which case it's not.

RedBlackAttack
03-11-2015, 10:48 PM

When you aren't divulging the equation for attaining the statistics, it is no surprise that they're going to adhere pretty closely with popular opinion. They obviously want this stat to be taken seriously. If they use an equation and it spits out Khris Middleton No. 1, it obviously won't be taken seriously.

I'd guess that they reserve the right to re-order the rankings if they don't look right based solely on the equation... which is why they don't disclose the actual formula.

It's about as worthless as a statistic can get, imho. They could toss any order of players out there and we wouldn't have any idea how they came to that conclusion. It's pointless... even moreso than other relatively pointless statistics that ESPN endorses.

aj1987
03-12-2015, 10:30 AM
...and increased HGH use.
Hey there, pedo. Join the Australian KKK yet?

Alamо
03-22-2015, 09:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

Look who else is climbing up. He's #5 on the rpm list now. He's glowing up right before our eyes. He's a superstar

Blue&Orange
03-22-2015, 09:43 PM
No one with a single once of intelligence can take this statement and that stat seriously.

20Four
03-22-2015, 09:45 PM
No one with a single once of intelligence can take this statement and that stat seriously.
Nobody takes aj1987 seriously, hes a little hoodrat

aj1987
03-22-2015, 09:47 PM
No wonder Knicks fans are such idiots. You guys don't actually watch Basketball.

Go play with your tits, midget.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-22-2015, 09:47 PM

Nobody takes you seriously though.

:hammerhead:

warriorfan
03-22-2015, 09:59 PM
He's in the top 10 in SF's on the defensive end. Very stacked position for defense

http://i.imgur.com/ZJ0dGbK.png

Green is and plays power forward.

20Four
03-22-2015, 09:59 PM
Nobody takes you seriously though.

:hammerhead:
its fine I never said anybody did

Blue&Orange
03-22-2015, 10:00 PM
No wonder Knicks fans are such idiots. You guys don't actually watch Basketball.

This retard :lol everyone was talking about how Lebron defensive effort was atrocious start of season, gifs were mare, cavs fans were displease and you are talking about how his defense was better since start of season? I should watch basketball?

You are as dumb as the explanation of that amazing stat, is a estimate? lol, +\- stats are the dumbest stats around, in whatever form presented.

Off course Lebron is climbing dude been of a stat padding rampage, still on court playing with his bench against the other teams bench... the same dude that whined about playing to many minutes just a couple months ago.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-22-2015, 10:02 PM
This retard :lol everyone was talking about how Lebron defensive effort was atrocious start of season, gifs were mare, cavs fans were displease and you are talking about how his defense was better since start of season? I should watch basketball?

You are as dumb as the explanation of that amazing stat, is a estimate? lol, +\- stats are the dumbest stats around, in whatever form presented.

Off course Lebron is climbing dude been of a stat padding rampage, still on court playing with his bench against the other teams bench... the same dude that whined about playing to many minutes just a couple months ago.
RAPM/RPM factor in who you're playing against.

And yeah in the beginning of the year when his defense was bad he was a negative...since then he's played great defense and his numbers are positive

Im Still Ballin
03-22-2015, 10:06 PM
The haters are so angry

Blue&Orange
03-22-2015, 10:34 PM

And yeah in the beginning of the year when his defense was bad he was a negative...since then he's played great defense and his numbers are positive
Josh Smith had a higher RAPM than Michael Jordan ever had.

:bowdown:

RoundMoundOfReb
03-22-2015, 10:47 PM
Josh Smith had a higher RAPM than Michael Jordan ever had.

:bowdown:
not true. true rapm for the 90s can not be calculated. it is just box score rapm...like per.. more specific information is needed for true rapm.

PejaTheSerbSnip
03-22-2015, 10:50 PM

Currys RAPM this year as per bbref: 9.4
Harden: 8.5
LeBron: 7.1

Wins produced/48: too lazy to look it up but both curry and harden have a massive edge.

Win shares/48: ditto

AND they both missed 10 less games.

Sorry, not the MVP this year.

RoundMoundOfReb
03-22-2015, 11:23 PM
Currys RAPM this year as per bbref: 9.4
Harden: 8.5
LeBron: 7.1

Wins produced/48: too lazy to look it up but both curry and harden have a massive edge.

Win shares/48: ditto

AND they both missed 10 less games.

Sorry, not the MVP this year.

I never said that RPM/RAPM is the be all end all..

Secondly BBALLREF, doesn't have true RAPM they have BPM...which is a box score arbitrary calculation like PER IIRC. Not the same thing. LeBron's impact goes well beyond raw #s.

aj1987
03-23-2015, 12:35 AM

Jesus Christ, you're retarded. I did say that LeBron's defense was terrible at the beginning of the season and last season. Learn to read, retarded Knicks fan... :facepalm

Also, I never said RPM/RAPM/etc. are "amazing stats". I NEVER even said it's a good stat. From one of my earlier posts in this thread: "No stat is perfect and needs context when it's used."

Go back to first grade, kid.

PejaTheSerbSnip
03-23-2015, 04:22 AM
I never said that RPM/RAPM is the be all end all..

Secondly BBALLREF, doesn't have true RAPM they have BPM...which is a box score arbitrary calculation like PER IIRC. Not the same thing. LeBron's impact goes well beyond raw #s.

You're right, my mistake.

ESPN has RAPM ....and LeBron is third.....behind.....wait for it..... Curry and Harden. With both of them having played more minutes, too.

And they don't even show you how its calculated (unlike BPM). It could just be all one huge fabrication. That's hilarious to me. You fellas are using it to make an MVP case for LeBron and we have no clue how ESPN calculates it or how predictive their version of it is.

But anyways....let's say RAPM isn't the be-all end-all ti you. What other metrics can you turn to? Its pretty clear RAPM is the only stat that even puts LeBron on even the same stratosphere as those two.