PDA

View Full Version : If Curry wins MVP

Fire Colangelo
03-11-2015, 04:12 PM
He'll have the lowest minutes played per game out of all the MVPs in NBA history at 33.1 MPG.

I haven't watched many GS games out there, but is he just blowing other teams out when he's out there or is his team just that good?

Next on the MPG list is:
1978 Bill Walton (injuries): 33.3MPG
2005 Nash : 34.6MPG
2006 Nash: 35.4MPG

Chadwin
03-11-2015, 04:14 PM
He'll have the lowest minutes played per game out of all the MVPs in NBA history.

I haven't watched many GS games out there, but is he just blowing other teams out when he's out there or is his team just that good?

Next on the MPG list is:

He's on the most stacked team in the NBA, thus it should go to Harden.

JT123
03-11-2015, 04:15 PM
He'll have the lowest minutes played per game out of all the MVPs in NBA history.

Next on the MPG list is:
Which is why he isn't the MVP. His team is just way too stacked.

scm5
03-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Which is why he isn't the MVP. His team is just way too stacked.

http://www.82games.com/1415/1415GSW.HTM

He is. He's the ONLY player on that squad with a negative score on his "off-court +/-".

He's by far the best player on arguably the best team, the MVP is based on the same criteria year after year. There is no reason to change it this year. Curry is incredibly dominant when he's on the court.

26/5/8 on 63% TS and 2.4 spg per 36.

UK2K
03-11-2015, 04:35 PM

He is. He's the ONLY player on that squad with a negative score on his "off-court +/-".

He's by far the best player on arguably the best team, the MVP is based on the same criteria year after year. There is no reason to change it this year. Curry is incredibly dominant when he's on the court.

27/7/6 on 61% and 1.9 spg per 36

Per 100 possessions
Harden Off - -5.8

Curry Off - 1.3

Or, Curry's team is still competitive without him, where as Hardens team is hot garbage.

Fire Colangelo
03-11-2015, 04:42 PM

What does that even mean?

How is that stat even relevant? James Harden is also negative in his "off court +\-", how does that solidify Curry as the MVP? Curry actually has the highest off court +\- of any MVP candidate, what does that say about his team?

Only half of the time the best player on the best team wins MVP mind you... It's certainly not the criteria.

Again with the per 36. Why use per 36 when he doesn't play 36 minutes? I guess we're gonna dismiss Iverson's stats because he played 40+ minutes? That's because he HAD to, his team needed his 40 minutes a night to be competitive.

Again, I want to know the answer to my question. Please don't throw some half witted advanced stats that don't mean shit imo at me.

navy
03-11-2015, 04:42 PM
Curries team is stacked, but he is still cooking. If he wins MVP over Harden, it will be perfectly understandable.

UK2K
03-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Curries team is stacked, but he is still cooking. If he wins MVP over Harden, it will be perfectly understandable.
And I won't shed a tear.

At this point it really comes down to personal preference and how much weight you put on team records.

I, personally, consider the MVP an individual award. I know I'm in the minority but... Player is not plural.

scm5
03-11-2015, 04:54 PM

Per 100 possessions
Harden Off - -5.8

Curry Off - 1.3

Or, Curry's team is still competitive without him, where as Hardens team is hot garbage.

Harden turns the ball over 4 times per 36 as well.

Harden's positive impact isn't nearly the same as Curry's. +16.5 >>>>>+6.1

Scroll down to defense:
http://www.82games.com/1415/14GSW1.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1415/14HOU5.HTM

Curry has a positive impact on defense while Harden has a negative impact.

Droid101
03-11-2015, 05:05 PM
How is his team stacked? It's the same damn roster as last year.

Curry made a leap. He's the clear MVP in most voter's minds at the moment. Leads the league in Real Plus Minus despite not playing as many minutes, and he's playing out of his mind.

aj1987
03-11-2015, 05:12 PM

Curry made a leap. He's the clear MVP in most voter's minds at the moment. Leads the league in Real Plus Minus despite not playing as many minutes, and he's playing out of his mind.
Bogut is healthy, Draymond and Klay are playing the best ball of their careers, Livingston, etc..

YouGotServed
03-11-2015, 05:16 PM
He's by far the best player on arguably the best team, the MVP is based on the same criteria year after year.

Nope

http://memphisport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DurantSpeech1.jpg

Droid101
03-11-2015, 05:19 PM
Nope

http://memphisport.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/DurantSpeech1.jpg
The best player on one of the best teams. So... yes?

YouGotServed
03-11-2015, 05:21 PM
The best player on one of the best teams. So... yes?

No.

Just stop.

UK2K
03-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Harden turns the ball over 4 times per 36 as well.

Harden's positive impact isn't nearly the same as Curry's. +16.5 >>>>>+6.1

Scroll down to defense:
http://www.82games.com/1415/14GSW1.HTM
http://www.82games.com/1415/14HOU5.HTM

Curry has a positive impact on defense while Harden has a negative impact.
Well yeah, cause that plus +16.5 includes everyone on GS roster. So you're telling me GS has a better roster than Houston? I agree.

Fire Colangelo
03-11-2015, 06:07 PM

Same team?

Bogut is healthier, and playing a bigger role.
Barnes and Green has both improved dramatically.
Klay Thompson became all star level.
Speights improved dramatically.
Added Livingston as a back up.

All while retaining David Lee and Iggy off the bench.

Same roster as last year? Are you kidding me? How can you attribute all this to Curry? If anything Curry is on the same level as last year, it's just his team is producing this year compared to last.

navy
03-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Same team?

Bogut is healthier, and playing a bigger role.
Barnes and Green has both improved dramatically.
Klay Thompson became all star level.
Speights improved dramatically.
Added Livingston as a back up.

All while retaining David Lee and Iggy off the bench.

Same roster as last year? Are you kidding me? How can you attribute all this to Curry? If anything Curry is on the same level as last year, it's just his team is producing this year compared to last.
Also they got rid of Mark post up Jackson.

ButterFace
03-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Minutes per game shouldn't matter. They build their lead with Curry enough that he gets the added luxury of sitting.

Fire Colangelo
03-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Minutes per game shouldn't matter. They build their lead with Curry enough that he gets the added luxury of sitting.

Well, the fact that his team can stay competitive when he only plays 33 minutes per games says a lot about his team imo.

Looking at past MVP winners, for example:

KD played like 38-39 minutes per game last season for the Thunder to be competitive.

LeBron played on average 37-38 minutes in his MVP seasons.

Iverson, Duncan, KG were playing 40+ minutes

Even Nash, who if I remember correctly was on some kind of minutes restriction in 05 and 06 due to back issues, played more than Curry.

How valuable is Curry to his team that he can get away with just playing 33 minutes a game?

Obviously he's valuable, but how valuable is he? If we're using advanced metrics, which I really don't like using... It's hard to measure his on court values compared to other MVP candidates because of different teammates. But using off court stats indicates that he has the best supporting cast out of all MVP candidates.

I mean, this is really the first year i've seen people emphasize per 36 stats. Why do we use such stat? We're rewarding a player because he plays less minutes and penalize players whose team needs him to play more minutes? Makes zero sense to me.

Rose'sACL
03-11-2015, 07:58 PM
harden is the clear mvp according to me if rockets don't go below 4th seed.

T_L_P
03-11-2015, 08:03 PM

Per 100 possessions
Harden Off - -5.8

Curry Off - 1.3

Warriors have a Net Rating of +16.7 with him on the floor (historic) and -1.3 without him.

Rockets are a +6.8 with Harden on the floor and a -5.8 with him off it.

+18 for Curry vs. +12.6 for Harden.

James is my MVP, but it's not just about the team around you. It's also about how well your team performs when you are on the court.

k0kakw0rld
03-11-2015, 08:04 PM
If Curry wins MVP I will congratulate him for a well deserved award. :pimp:

Prime_Shaq
03-11-2015, 08:12 PM

Next on the MPG list is:
Golden State is just that good, I don't see why giving it to Curry would be a problem

Fire Colangelo
03-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Golden State is just that good, I don't see why giving it to Curry would be a problem

It's not a problem at all lol, I don't care about either player enough to have an agenda in this matter....

I just find it odd that the MVP of the league is 38th in minutes played... that's all.

Kind of mind boggling actually, if your team only needs you to play 33 minutes a game to win games.

Prime_Shaq
03-11-2015, 08:43 PM
It's not a problem at all lol, I don't care about either player enough to have an agenda in this matter....

I just find it odd that the MVP of the league is 38th in minutes played... that's all.

Kind of mind boggling actually, if your team only needs you to play 33 minutes a game to win games.
Well just to put it out there, I don't think Curry is the reason that GS has gone from playoff team to championship contender. I attribute that to Kerr's willingness to use Bogut more on the offensive end and Klay/Draymond/Barnes development. However, I really do see a visible difference in quality of play when Curry is on the floor. He is the engine that makes GS run and they just blow teams out. That's why he's the MVP for me.

warriorfan
03-11-2015, 08:45 PM
There is no if, Alpha Male Curry has it in the bag.

DMAVS41
03-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Wait. People are actually going to complain if Curry wins? What?

His impact can't be denied. The Warriors are destroying teams with him on the floor and he's putting up unreal numbers from raw stats to advanced metrics to plus minus to rapm...etc.

He's also vastly improved defensively and has gone from a negative to above average at the least.

Harden has been great. Lebron is being Lebron. WB is going nuts. AD is playing amazing.

All fine choices, but Curry is in that class or perhaps above it given how MVP usually shakes out.

Curry is being vastly under-rated here.

His numbers are not a product of his team. He was doing this shit on offense the last 2 years before he got an elite team and good coach. His defense is the big difference this year.

He's made some improvements in his game, but this is not a "product of his stacked team" deal....he's just a ****ing amazing player.

SyRyanYang
03-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Well yeah, cause that plus +16.5 includes everyone on GS roster. So you're telling me GS has a better roster than Houston? I agree.

So what? GS also has a much better record than Houston.
It's not like Harden took a worse team to a better recrod
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
Do they even teach logic at school?

DMAVS41
03-11-2015, 09:58 PM
So what? GS also has a much better record than Houston.
It's not like Harden took a worse team to a better recrod
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
Do they even teach logic at school?

Yea...I mean...it would be one thing if the Warriors and Rockets were on similar paces, but they are not.

Curry clearly has a much better team, but he is also getting much ****ing better results.

Not only are the Warriors way better with him on the court, but they are going to win like 67 games.

This is stupid.

Curry is as deserving or more than anyone else.

And not only that, but he has a case for best player in the game right now.

It's not like this is 11 Rose where it was clear he wasn't the best player in the game.

I wouldn't take Curry first, but also wouldn't laugh at someone saying he's the best player right now.

SyRyanYang
03-11-2015, 10:02 PM

That's mind boggling? Either you don't watch any GS games or you're too dumb.

Curry is THAT good he helps his team build a 15+ lead in 33 minutes, period.
We're usually up by 15-20 by the end of 3rd quarter so that he doesn't have to play in the 4th quarter, even though the team lose 5~ points when he's off the court, we can still handily win by 10~ points.

How's that mind boggling?

guy
03-12-2015, 12:17 AM
I don't really see the problem. There's such an emphasis on rest nowadays that star players in general play less minutes then they used to. So its not really fair to compare it to the past and use the same standard.

Now I do think the idea of Russell Westbrook winning MVP while playing at most 67 games is ridiculous.

JerrySeinfeld
03-12-2015, 12:18 AM
It's pretty clear that Curry is going to win it. His numbers are great and the Warriors are smoking the league while playing in a ridiculously stacked conference.

Fire Colangelo
03-12-2015, 12:54 AM
Warriors have a Net Rating of +16.7 with him on the floor (historic) and -1.3 without him.

Rockets are a +6.8 with Harden on the floor and a -5.8 with him off it.

+18 for Curry vs. +12.6 for Harden.

James is my MVP, but it's not just about the team around you. It's also about how well your team performs when you are on the court.

Neat stat.

The Hawks are a +12.8 with Korver on the floor and a -6.3 with him off the floor, that adds up to +19.1 for Korver.

Now obviously Korver doesn't come close to being the MVP, but the advanced metrics everyone like to use is clearly flawed....

Not to mention the same advanced stats would suggest Duncan was a net negative last season... And in no universe will anyone ever convince me the Spurs are better with Duncan on the bench.

Wait. People are actually going to complain if Curry wins? What?

His impact can't be denied. The Warriors are destroying teams with him on the floor and he's putting up unreal numbers from raw stats to advanced metrics to plus minus to rapm...etc.

He's also vastly improved defensively and has gone from a negative to above average at the least.

Harden has been great. Lebron is being Lebron. WB is going nuts. AD is playing amazing.

All fine choices, but Curry is in that class or perhaps above it given how MVP usually shakes out.

Curry is being vastly under-rated here.

His numbers are not a product of his team. He was doing this shit on offense the last 2 years before he got an elite team and good coach. His defense is the big difference this year.

He's made some improvements in his game, but this is not a "product of his stacked team" deal....he's just a ****ing amazing player.

In no where did I "complain" about Curry winning the MVP. Still got like 20 games left and it could be anybody's award (between Harden and Curry). I just wanted a little insight on how valuable he really is.

Is his low MPG because of GSW blowing teams out of the water when he's on the court, and just sits him for the 4th? Or is it because his team just good enough without him that he doesn't need to play?

From the few GSW games I have seen, I was leaning towards the latter. Obviously my opinion is not fixed and could be changed, but I just wanted to see what other people thought as I'm catching up on couple other GSW games that I recorded but haven't got a chance to see yet.

CavaliersFTW
03-12-2015, 01:04 AM

Next on the MPG list is:
Post his minutes per game please so we don't have to look it up.

Heavincent
03-12-2015, 01:08 AM
Is his low MPG because of GSW blowing teams out of the water when he's on the court, and just sits him for the 4th?

Yes. GS has the most blowout wins by a wide margin. Even a lot of their single digit wins were actually blowouts that looked much closer than they actually were.

It's actually MORE impressive that he has relatively low minutes and still puts up monster stats. He shits on teams and then chills on the bench for the entire fourth quarter.

Fire Colangelo
03-12-2015, 01:32 AM
Post his minutes per game please so we don't have to look it up.

True... that's my mistake.

ButterFace
03-12-2015, 02:08 AM
Well, the fact that his team can stay competitive when he only plays 33 minutes per games says a lot about his team imo.

Looking at past MVP winners, for example:

KD played like 38-39 minutes per game last season for the Thunder to be competitive.

LeBron played on average 37-38 minutes in his MVP seasons.

Iverson, Duncan, KG were playing 40+ minutes

Even Nash, who if I remember correctly was on some kind of minutes restriction in 05 and 06 due to back issues, played more than Curry.

How valuable is Curry to his team that he can get away with just playing 33 minutes a game?

Obviously he's valuable, but how valuable is he? If we're using advanced metrics, which I really don't like using... It's hard to measure his on court values compared to other MVP candidates because of different teammates. But using off court stats indicates that he has the best supporting cast out of all MVP candidates.

I mean, this is really the first year i've seen people emphasize per 36 stats. Why do we use such stat? We're rewarding a player because he plays less minutes and penalize players whose team needs him to play more minutes? Makes zero sense to me.

I'll give an extreme example to demonstrate what I mean. Say a player plays the first quarter of every game, and his team jumps to a 30 point lead. He can sit the rest of the game and the team could still win by 15. That player could still be worthy of MVP while only playing 12 minutes per game. Steph helps his team enough while he is on the court to get the victory, and that is what matters, not number of minutes.

oarabbus
03-12-2015, 02:22 AM
I think Curry should win MVP, but I'm a bit biased.

If Harden gets it I won't trip. I acknowledge that our team has been beasting no matter who is on the floor. Houston is not that great without Harden.