PDA

View Full Version : My life is at a pivotal moment and I could use some advice - what would you do?

JerrySeinfeld
03-12-2015, 12:05 AM
I'm halfway through college, debt free thus far, have been working 30 hours a week, going full time for 12 hours every semester, and have about 2-2.5 semesters left until I get that degree.

Currently I'm living with some friends who all go to college and it's fun as hell. We all get along, all hang out, get high together all the time, go out semi-often, you know, they are people my age that can relate to me and make me feel happy while enjoying the usual college experience. These guys are basically the only real friends that I've had since high school. Also, my cost of living total isn't even that much here, like 500 bucks a month.

Now I can stay here, keep my job, keep laboring through college slowly while getting mediocre grades (2.5-3.0 average) OR I have the option to move into my grandmas house, which is literally no more than 10 minutes away from campus, would have free living, would have free food, and she has said that she's willing to help me out with gas money and stuff, although I have enough money saved up to where I'd tell her that I'm fine. This would mean that I could literally just focus on college for the next 2 years, take at least 15 credit hours and get that degree quicker, and my life would be way more stress free.

Downsides here are that I can't get high again (which may be a good thing to force myself into?), will have a curfew, and could potentially lose out on the friendship that I've formed with my roommates since I'll be living far away from them and won't be able to come over and hang out any time past 10, and also because I'll force them to either pay a bit more in rent each month or find another roommate.

What would you do in my situation?

DeuceWallaces
03-12-2015, 12:07 AM
You're focused on all the wrong shit. The end game is graduating; not getting high with your loser-ass friends.

If money is remotely a problem, move in with your grandma, finish school, and grow up.

Akrazotile
03-12-2015, 12:08 AM
I'm halfway through college, debt free thus far, have been working 30 hours a week, going full time for 12 hours every semester, and have about 2-2.5 semesters left until I get that degree.

Currently I'm living with some friends who all go to college and it's fun as hell. We all get along, all hang out, get high together all the time, go out semi-often, you know, they are people my age that can relate to me and make me feel happy while enjoying the usual college experience. These guys are basically the only real friends that I've had since high school. Also, my cost of living total isn't even that much here, like 500 bucks a month.

Now I can stay here, keep my job, keep laboring through college slowly while getting mediocre grades (2.5-3.0 average) OR I have the option to move into my grandmas house, which is literally no more than 10 minutes away from campus, would have free living, would have free food, and she has said that she's willing to help me out with gas money and stuff, although I have enough money saved up to where I'd tell her that I'm fine. This would mean that I could literally just focus on college for the next 2 years, take at least 15 credit hours and get that degree quicker, and my life would be way more stress free.

Downsides here are that I can't get high again (which may be a good thing to force myself into?), will have a curfew, and could potentially lose out on the friendship that I've formed with my roommates since I'll be living far away from them and won't be able to come over and hang out any time past 10, and also because I'll force them to either pay a bit more in rent each month or find another roommate.

If you're not smart enough to conceal getting high from your grandmother, you've probably got a real uphill climb to success ahead of you no matter where you live or what you do.

JerrySeinfeld
03-12-2015, 12:09 AM
If you're not smart enough to conceal getting high from your grandmother, you've probably got a real uphill climb to success ahead of you no matter where you live or what you do.

never said I couldn't conceal getting high from my grandmother. Just not something I'd really be interested in doing.

JerrySeinfeld
03-12-2015, 12:12 AM
I guess one of the positives of living at my grandmothers house is that I could watch sports all the time.

Would never miss an NFL game that I wanted to see, could catch all the big NBA games.

JerrySeinfeld
03-12-2015, 12:16 AM
As long as you are finacially stable (which you seem to be) stay with your friends. Enjoy this time of your life.

I am, but primarily because I'm working a good amount, which is cutting into my college time some.

I mean yeah, it's fun as hell living here but living at my grandmas I'd have so much more free time, my personal health would be at an all time high, and I'd never have any stress.

I've basically reached the crossroads where I have to decide if I want to keep having fun while scraping by in college, being busy all the time, or do I want to seclude myself while focusing on my future?

Crose
03-12-2015, 12:18 AM
omg stop pretending you aren't russwest0. these are types of threads russwest0 always made in otc lounge.

JerrySeinfeld
03-12-2015, 12:20 AM
omg stop pretending you aren't russwest0. these are types of threads russwest0 always made in otc lounge.

This shit again? I've already proved, with basically undeniable evidence, that I'm not russwest0.

Seems like he's got a lot of stans though, shit is creepy. Listen bro, I don't know when your buddy is gonna be back but that ain't my problem.

falc39
03-12-2015, 12:23 AM
I would go with grandma's house.

If you don't have friends or things to do, it's a good time to make new friends and find ways to keep yourself busy. Are you self-motivated? You will have to figure out a way to motivate yourself if you aren't the type that is self-motivated.

Crose
03-12-2015, 12:24 AM
This shit again? I've already proved, with basically undeniable evidence, that I'm not russwest0.

Seems like he's got a lot of stans though, shit is creepy. Listen bro, I don't know when your buddy is gonna be back but that ain't my problem.
where is the undeniable evidence. show it

you only post when he is banned

you both are middle of college and talk about bad grades , slacking , so on

you say you are a heat fan but both of you bash lebron all the time and ride westbrook. you never post in heat threads only okc threads and lebron threads

JerrySeinfeld
03-12-2015, 12:26 AM
where is the undeniable evidence. show it

you only post when he is banned

you both are middle of college and talk about bad grades , slacking , so on

you say you are a heat fan but both of you bash lebron all the time and ride westbrook. you never post in heat threads only okc threads and lebron threads

so some other guy slacks in college and doesn't like lebron and that's your big detective work? :lol

I'm surprised you didn't see the thread where I proved I wasn't that guy, since you seem to be all over my dick and shit :lol

I'll leave it up to your imagination.

Crose
03-12-2015, 12:28 AM
so some other guy slacks in college and doesn't like lebron and that's your big detective work? :lol

I'm surprised you didn't see the thread where I proved I wasn't that guy, since you seem to be all over my dick and shit :lol

I'll leave it up to your imagination.
stop pretending . here is a similar thread by russwest0

I'm at the point in my life where I'm too tired of being a kid but too scared of being a true adult because I'm not there yet.

All that I want is to be independent. To have my own career, living comfortably in my own home, and somewhere nice that I enjoy living.

But I'm not there yet. I'm in college, living with friends, and working a part time job to get by. And for whatever reason, I'm getting caught up with being lazy, not doing homework, just laying around, reading, listening to music, watching tv, sports, etc, being a lazy piece of shit.

All that I wonder, is, if anyone else on ISH can relate. Did anyone else grow up feeling irritated with so many things that were out of their control, but now lives a nice, comfortable, independent life where they have total control?

All that I ask from those people is, how does one go from being a lazy, undisciplined loser to being a successful and independent individual? I know that I can do better than I am in some areas such as: school, work, getting enough sleep, eating healthy, staying active, not doing drugs, etc, regardless of if people around me think that I am managing everything well. It's just right now I'm caught in a weird loop where I don't see any way of what I want actually happening, because I don't quite know what I want, other than true and personal freedom in a way that makes me happy and keeps me financially safe.

It's just like on one hand, I love my friends and don't want to tell them that I need to move out because, they are my friends and will give me shit for it, but at the same time living in an environment where there can be constant loud noise in the AM, where there are drugs being done often, where fast food is a staple in the diets of everyone in the house, etc. you know, it just doesn't seem like this environment is helping me progress.

But on the other hand, what am I going to do? Move in with say, my mother, a woman who is always mad about something, and try to finish out college in that environment?

All I know is that depression can be a suffocating thing and that so many young kids around my age, particularly those trying to get through college, are prone to it. I myself have a cousin who I was close with who was going through a really nice college, was really intelligent, had a beautiful 6 year old daughter, and yet, the guy overdoses on drugs and dies because he's too embarrassed to admit that he has a problem and needs to find ways to restore order to his life.

I'm not saying that I'm depressed, I'm just saying that I am in an environment where I don't see my mental state of being lazy and unorganized getting better, but none of my options appear to be sufficent. Since this seems like a normal problem that many successful adults have probably faced before, I ask trying to obtain some wisdom, What do I do ISH?

BigBoss
03-12-2015, 12:32 AM
You're focused on all the wrong shit. The end game is graduating; not getting high with your loser-ass friends.

If money is remotely a problem, move in with your grandma, finish school, and grow up.

This.

Even Jay-Z left the Roc dawg.

JerrySeinfeld
03-12-2015, 12:36 AM
lmao, I ain't depressed, my decision is basically all financial.

outbreak
03-12-2015, 12:36 AM
How far away from your friends would you be? If it's the same college it can't be too far from them can it? I'd move in to your grandmas and save your money if I were you Russ. Why would you have a curfew at your grandma's though, aren't you old enough to come and go as you please? If it's a noise thing I'm sure you could just be considerate and quiet when coming and going.

BigBoss
03-12-2015, 12:38 AM
lmao, I ain't depressed, my decision is basically all financial.

Why are you afraid of giving up your social life? . Once you focus turns to making money thats when you become a man. Social life, girls, etc is all a byproduct of success. If your broke then you need to get to work and sacrifice. If you want to continue to live in mediocrity and think your doing it big because you got X amount of friends on Facebook and X amount of likes of you in the club on instagram then your an idiot. Your just another nobody

JerrySeinfeld
03-12-2015, 12:46 AM
How far away from your friends would you be? If it's the same college it can't be too far from them can it? I'd move in to your grandmas and save your money if I were you Russ. Why would you have a curfew at your grandma's though, aren't you old enough to come and go as you please? If it's a noise thing I'm sure you could just be considerate and quiet when coming and going.

I'd be about 30 minutes away from them, and thats just the type of woman she is. She feels like if she's going to be letting me live there, then I can't be going out at night or anything like that.

IamRAMBO24
03-12-2015, 02:18 AM
1. Stop getting high.

2. Stop caring about partying.

3. Focus on graduating.

It doesn't matter where you live. You'll be fine if you can get pass 1 and 2.

oarabbus
03-12-2015, 02:55 AM

If I was your age (assuming you are ~20) I would probably get chill with my friends get high all day and have fun. And that would be the wrong move, I hope you don't make that choice. But I remember how difficult it is to say no to that in the middle of college.

I'm 24 now and I regret the dumb shit I did while an undergrad - namely prioritizing getting high over studying and doing well in school. Plus it sounds like you'll have a great financial situation staying at her place.

If you stay at your grandmas house, will you be able to go out late on friday/saturday nights? College IS for having fun, too. if you can be out late on a Friday/Saturday then that's all you really need. However if you aren't going to be able to come back late at night, EVER, then the decision isn't so easy.

But if the question is giving up smoking a blunt with your boys on a Tuesday afternoon or Sunday night, that dumb shit isn't worth it in the long run.

johndeeregreen
03-12-2015, 03:11 AM

I have one foot on either side of this fence. On one hand, Deuce's charming reality check holds merit.

On the other - enjoy being a dumb kid when you can. I look back to when I was in college and I realize what an immature dipshit I was, but a lot of those experiences I wouldn't trade for anything - and they came to pass because I was an immature dipshit.

The real world and adulthood are approaching. Get the silly shit out of your system. Enjoy the fun aspects of college. As long as you respect your studies to a respectable extent, there's no reason you can't have fun.

"Rejoice, o young man, in thy youth."

falc39
03-12-2015, 03:44 AM
Having fun and enjoying college is not mutually exclusive to everything else you want to achieve.

Invest in the seeds of your future and it can come back to improve your later life ten-fold. Time is money. By living at your Grandma's, you wont need as much money, which means you can keep working and save even more, or work less and have free time to improve your studies and graduate faster. Or you can use some of that free time to socialize more and meet people/new friends. The key is free time. Free time.... Everything opens up with this option. There is really no limitation when you have free time if you are willing to push yourself.

DeuceWallaces
03-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Guess I didn't notice the curfew. That's pretty lame. That being said, you can definitely party your ass off and graduate on time. They aren't mutually exclusive. Most of us do it.

ISHGoat
03-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Its not just about graduating on time.. Its about graduating with a good GPA in a marketable major. Good luck with your career with a 2.8 majoring in economics.

If you arent in Engineering/hard science (physics)/math/comp sci, you better have good grades to go to an actually employable grad program.

Otherwise just quit college and go to mcdonalds now. Unless your dad has connections, then just graduate lol.

Seems like you still have a couple semesters. Study your ass off and try to get a 4.0 in your last few years, so you can apply to Law school, med school, MBA school, etc later down the road.

Having a sub 3.0 cGPA closes many doors. You wont be able to easily move into upper management at a company without a master's degree (doesnt matter what) since everyone and their mom has a bachelors.

Jailblazers7
03-12-2015, 01:49 PM
If you are currently struggling to handle your course load and your GPA is bad, then move in with your grandma. If you have your shit together but just feel stretched thin, tough it out and stay with your friends. Learning how to manage your life and school work is valuable because you are going to have to do the same thing as an adult.

ISHGoat
03-12-2015, 01:53 PM
OP, what program/school are you in? If you are at MIT for engineering and you have a 2.5 gpa, it doesnt matter because youll still land a nice salary job afterwards.

If you are in liberal arts or life sciences or some joke (no offense) at a chitty/mediocre school, then youre gonna need to go to grad school to have a good chance at a decent income afterwards.

GimmeThat
03-12-2015, 01:56 PM
I mean this in the best way possible,
But if you believe that you can actually get better grades from studying more, thats clearly the better option. Since there were actually a few subjects I felt that even had I spent more time on, the improvements on my grades still would have been minimal.

Cutting the cost from hanging out with your friends/getting high is probably still your priority since I think that rent and curphew sort of go hand in hand.

I think access, may be the topic here

Meticode
03-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Do what you think will satisfy you and make you happier in the long run.

outbreak
03-12-2015, 05:46 PM
I'd be about 30 minutes away from them, and thats just the type of woman she is. She feels like if she's going to be letting me live there, then I can't be going out at night or anything like that.
30 minutes isn't that far.

Would you save a substantial amount living with her? 10pm curfew even on weekends? That's a bit tough. From your other work threads I don't think you are making/saving enough to make moving back in with your grandma make a big difference anyway, I stayed with my folks until I was 21 but I was working full time and saved up a deposit for my own place instead of renting (the cost of rent vs mortgage repayments here are nearly the same). Stay with your friends I'd say.

DCL
03-12-2015, 08:41 PM
you've already closed a ton of doors for yourself by having a 2.5 GPA.

ask yourself, do you want to continue closing them?

Lebron23
03-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Simon, You need to stop making up stories, and get a job.

RightToCensor
03-13-2015, 12:06 PM

That's what Russ would say

ButterFace
03-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Move in with your grandmother or go back to flipping burgers.

Charlie Sheen
03-13-2015, 12:17 PM

It sucks for me that I didnt figured this one out at 20 or 25 instead of post 30. I always saw myself as one of those guys who could manage work and fun. I wished I was one of those guys because I saw other people were capable.

Jailblazers7
03-13-2015, 12:18 PM

Yeah, didn't see that he GPA was in the 2s. I would move in with grandma and at least make sure you major GPA is rock solid.

JerrySeinfeld
03-13-2015, 12:19 PM

I just quit my job.

It was honestly one of the hardest choices I've ever had to make but this post stuck with me. What good is all of this time I'm investing in a degree if it's such a bad GPA?

I'm probably going to move to my grandmas and continue on from there. Either way I'm done working until I have a degree.

riseagainst
03-13-2015, 12:26 PM
i would personally stop getting high. It will only ruin your life, you would never get sh.it done or get it done well.

JohnnySic
03-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Move in with your grandma. Family > friends.

Focus an getting your GPA closer to or over 3.0.

The curfew sucks, but you need to make sacrifices sometimes.

DeuceWallaces
03-13-2015, 12:38 PM
Bad GPA is the easiest thing to overcome. No one gives a shit about it once you get your first job. And even then they don't care much.

Velocirap31
03-13-2015, 12:44 PM
I just quit my job.

It was honestly one of the hardest choices I've ever had to make but this post stuck with me. What good is all of this time I'm investing in a degree if it's such a bad GPA?

I'm probably going to move to my grandmas and continue on from there. Either way I'm done working until I have a degree.

:applause: