PDA

View Full Version : Other than native city residents, are the alleged "real" team fans...

KirbyPls
03-12-2015, 12:52 AM
anything more than covert player fans, who happened to bandwagon an all-timer (or all-timer(s) in the case of Lakers and Celtics fans) at a sensitive and/or formative period in their burgeoning fandom? Are there truly any die-hard Bulls fans on this board that were Bulls fans before MJ was Perkins' second banana at UNC? Are there any legit (non-Mikan, I see you Deuce :lol ) Lakers fans pre-West, Baylor, or Wilt? Again, native sons and daughters from NBA cities are excluded from the discussion.

In reality, aren't the vast majority of NBA fans from or living outside of NBA cities (or even states) just insecure player fans using their convenient, adopted histories of championships or all-time stats by their adopted player(s)("team" :oldlol: ) to obscure the fact that they are really nothing other than Lebron stans (like myself) or Kobetards, MJ disciples or Wilt groupies? I'd argue being a player fan (through an entire career) is more heartbreaking, nerve-racking and ultimately requiring a greater commitment, since there is no place to hide when LBJ pulls a 2011 Finals or Kobe chucks a team out of a title in 2004.

At least so-called "team fans" can sort of legitimately blame the odd Scott Brooks, Nick Anderson, or Robert Horry; legitimate player fans have no such luxury.

3ball is a special case, since he may be arrested for stalking/assaulting/killing MJ one of these days. Even so, he's the exception that proves the rule.

josh99
03-12-2015, 12:55 AM
Nope, I'm a Magic fan. There's no all timer for me to be a stan of.

KirbyPls
03-12-2015, 12:58 AM
Nope, I'm a Magic fan. There's no all timer for me to be a stan of.

Um, Rashard says hi! :facepalm....:lol

Are you from around Orlando though?

josh99
03-12-2015, 01:33 AM
Um, Rashard says hi! :facepalm....:lol

Are you from around Orlando though?
Nah, I just decided to support them for some reason when I started watching the NBA. Now look what I'm stuck with :cry:

ButterFace
03-12-2015, 02:04 AM
I think there are plenty of converts from childhood. Say somebody was a big MJ fan as a kid. They may have gotten so hooked on the Bulls that they have remained Bulls fans to this day.

Hittin_Shots
03-12-2015, 02:10 AM
None of my brothers wanted to collect Boston cards for some reason , so I ended up with all of them.

KirbyPls
03-12-2015, 02:15 AM
I think there are plenty of converts from childhood. Say somebody was a big MJ fan as a kid. They may have gotten so hooked on the Bulls that they have remained Bulls fans to this day.

That's what I'm saying. Life is short and great, root for who and what you want. :cheers:

As a Lebron fan, he brought me to the NBA as a fan, even though I started watching during the Jordan era (not an MJ fan, but I respect him as GOAT). Appreciating the game is paramount, I just hate the hypocrisy of fans that believe that fandom is a monopoly of the "right" thing. If one appreciates hoops, why does it matter if you are a player fan or team fan? From my LBJ fandom, I learned to love and appreciate the Heat players from that special run, as I am learning to appreciate the current Cavs roster now.

TL;DR: Appreciate the game, whatever the genesis of the appreciation.

Cocaine80s
03-12-2015, 02:16 AM
Poido is extremely guilty of this

Nikka loves to accuse others of bandwagoning when hes from australia and stans Jordan/bulls :oldlol:

KirbyPls
03-12-2015, 02:16 AM
None of my brothers wanted to collect Boston cards for some reason , so I ended up with all of them.

Not trolling or criticizing you homie at all. Boston always gave me the shivers. :cheers:

Genaro
03-12-2015, 02:22 AM
Almost everyone who lives in a city where there's no NBA team or live abroad, starts to like a team because they like a certain player but they just start liking the team as well and become die hard fans of the team and won't trade their team if the player goes away.

ButterFace
03-12-2015, 02:26 AM
That's what I'm saying. Life is short and great, root for who and what you want. :cheers:

As a Lebron fan, he brought me to the NBA as a fan, even though I started watching during the Jordan era (not an MJ fan, but I respect him as GOAT). Appreciating the game is paramount, I just hate the hypocrisy of fans that believe that fandom is a monopoly of the "right" thing. If one appreciates hoops, why does it matter if you are a player fan or team fan? From my LBJ fandom, I learned to love and appreciate the Heat players from that special run, as I am learning to appreciate the current Cavs roster now.

TL;DR: Appreciate the game, whatever the genesis of the appreciation.

I think you overlooked what I was saying, because we are not in agreement.

ButterFace
03-12-2015, 02:27 AM
Almost everyone who lives in a city where there's no NBA team or live abroad, starts to like a team because they like a certain player but they just start liking the team as well and become die hard fans of the team and won't trade their team if the player goes away.

This, however, IS what I was saying.

KirbyPls
03-12-2015, 03:14 AM
This, however, IS what I was saying.

Fair enough, there is no right answer. :cheers:

That being said, perhaps you're right, I hate OKC, because it should have been the Sonics (I live in Idaho). I follow the player that made me realize that the NBA is the GOAT sports league (I was a baseball guy forever, and I still love it). Sue me. :lol

BlackWhiteGreen
03-12-2015, 03:20 AM
I started following the Celtics mostly because of Pierce, so I guess that's right in some ways. Still here though.

KirbyPls
03-12-2015, 03:22 AM
I started following the Celtics mostly because of Pierce, so I guess that's right in some ways. Still here though.

There is no rulebook. I like the C's front office and coach, you guys will be solid, even if it takes a bit IMO.

T_L_P
03-12-2015, 03:25 AM
As with the first reply, there's no all-timer for me to stan.

The Spurs are where it is at. I like/dislike no one player more than another. :cheers:

KirbyPls
03-12-2015, 03:50 AM
As with the first reply, there's no all-timer for me to stan.

The Spurs are where it is at. I like/dislike no one player more than another. :cheers:

You are a quality poster homie, but this is just :lol .

Stop low-key guffawing at the embarrassment of riches for the silver & black, from the front office to the savant of PFs. :lol

I<3NBA
03-12-2015, 04:37 AM
a lot of "Laker fans" are in truth Kobetards.

you'd see this when now that Kobe's done, most of them are bandwagoning any team that poses a threat to Lebron.

KembaWalker
03-12-2015, 04:54 AM
Bulls fan in Australia,

Be me, around 5-6 years old in 2000-2001, school library, sports section, saw a book on the 90's Bull's team, read it, became Bulls fan, borrowed it loads of times.

Of course I had no idea at the time how great they were but as I grew older I started to watch more and more and research the history of the NBA and so on, I don't know if that makes me bandwagon fan or not, but at 6 years old I just liked the black pinstripe jerseys and Rodman's crazy hairstyle

poido123
03-12-2015, 05:35 AM
Bulls fan in Australia,

Be me, around 5-6 years old in 2000-2001, school library, sports section, saw a book on the 90's Bull's team, read it, became Bulls fan, borrowed it loads of times.

Of course I had no idea at the time how great they were but as I grew older I started to watch more and more and research the history of the NBA and so on, I don't know if that makes me bandwagon fan or not, but at 6 years old I just liked the black pinstripe jerseys and Rodman's crazy hairstyle

I think not.

A grown man making a decision to follow around a player like a groupie while team hopping is what people would consider bandwagon fan.

A young kid idolising a player, but grow up to make a mature decision to follow a team is entirely different.

At least how I interpret it. :confusedshrug:

Overdrive
03-12-2015, 06:04 AM
When I first started watching I had no clue about teams' histories, but I liked both teams in the first game I watched, Sonics vs Lakers in '95.

Still like the Lakers. Seatlle, well...

Eddie Jones and Shaq were my first favourite players.

ISHGoat
03-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Im from toronto. Most of my friends here are raptors fans + lebron stan/hater. Lebron haters are consequently kobe stans.

Im willing to bet most nba fans stan a player, and by extension whatever team they play for.

tmacattack33
03-12-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm a player fan.

I don't like rooting for meaningless colors and logos.