CavaliersFTW
03-12-2015, 03:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RJB9lSEqk

For some reason reminds me of Kyrie

RoundMoundOfReb
03-12-2015, 03:50 AM

I believe that reason may be dementia brought on by old age. Consult your family physician ASAP.

SyRyanYang
03-12-2015, 03:55 AM
I believe that reason may be dementia brought on by old age. Consult your family physician ASAP.

ouch:lol

swagga
03-12-2015, 05:57 AM

skin color ?

senelcoolidge
03-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Not sure how. Monroe was taller, bigger, flashier, Irving could not defend him, and had a wider offensive repertoire. Iriving is a better shooter and ball handler that's about it.

JohnMax
03-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Greg Monroe

Elosha
03-12-2015, 12:56 PM
By modern standards, he's not very quick or athletic, tbh. But he does have excellent fundamentals and a good midrange game. Not sure if he's got a left hand, since all his layups from the leftside were shot with his right.

I'd like to see the 9 shots he missed rather than just the 6 he made. That would give me a better idea of his overall scoring capability. With his spinning post-ups and mid range game, he reminds me of Mark Aguirre, with better ball handling/agility, but less rugged size.

Dragic4Life
03-12-2015, 12:56 PM
woah.

CavaliersFTW
03-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Not sure how. Monroe was taller, bigger, flashier, Irving could not defend him, and had a wider offensive repertoire. Iriving is a better shooter and ball handler that's about it.
It's the way they give several fakes and handle their layups, there's something similar about it. I know they aren't the same size/type of players in general.

CavaliersFTW
03-12-2015, 01:06 PM
By modern standards, he's not very quick or athletic, tbh. But he does have excellent fundamentals and a good midrange game. Not sure if he's got a left hand, since all his layups from the leftside were shot with his right.

I'd like to see the 9 shots he missed rather than just the 6 he made. That would give me a better idea of his overall scoring capability. With his spinning post-ups and mid range game, he reminds me of Mark Aguirre, with better ball handling/agility, but less rugged size.
Athleticism (vertical athleticism specifically) was never part of his game even in his own time though. He, along with Dick Barnett, are cited by players of that time as two of the only players in that era 6-4 and up that couldn't dunk (even in practice).

His quickness looks fine to me, he's got that off-balance looking what's-he-gonna-do-next dribble and he gives tons of movement and fakes. That's an effective way to use what he's got. Which is good balance, coordination, and decent size (James Hardens height, though built a little lighter).

senelcoolidge
03-12-2015, 02:10 PM
My dad was a Pearl fan, so I heard about him a lot as a kid. He used a variety of fakes, spins, and jerky movements. Not a leaper, but not un-athletic..don't get those confused.

bizil
03-12-2015, 02:50 PM

I agree! The Pearl was a revolutionary force back in the day. Cousy was the first razzle dazzle PG due to his passing ability. I think the Pearl was probably the first great "playground" style SG or combo guard. He was the precursor to guys that would come down the pike later like Kyrie. Ironically, Pearl was 6'3 and 185-190 pounds. The same size as Kyrie. When it came to flashy guards, Cousy, The Pearl, and Maravich were the first three great guards to really put it on the map. Big O and West were more textbook and not flashy.

PistonsFan#21
03-12-2015, 03:14 PM

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/kevin-garnett-reaction.gif

CavaliersFTW
03-12-2015, 03:53 PM
I agree! The Pearl was a revolutionary force back in the day. Cousy was the first razzle dazzle PG due to his passing ability. I think the Pearl was probably the first great "playground" style SG or combo guard. He was the precursor to guys that would come down the pike later like Kyrie. Ironically, Pearl was 6'3 and 185-190 pounds. The same size as Kyrie. When it came to flashy guards, Cousy, The Pearl, and Maravich were the first three great guards to really put it on the map. Big O and West were more textbook and not flashy.
Is he only 6-3 did he admit that or something? I've not gotten his without shoes height but he was listed 6-4 and looks almost as tall as 6-4 and 3/4 Oscar Robertson when they stood next too each other in the game intro. So I assumed that was his without shoes height but I suppose it's possible he exaggerated it the late 60s was when contracts started becoming bigger and the larger than life list info was starting to make it's way into the league (really took off by the late 70s/early 80s).

dubeta
03-12-2015, 03:57 PM
Nice, would probably start on my HS team :applause:

CavaliersFTW
03-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Nice, would probably start on my HS team :applause:
True. Would also probably start over JR Smith on the Cavs.

bizil
03-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Is he only 6-3 did he admit that or something? I've not gotten his without shoes height but he was listed 6-4 and looks almost as tall as 6-4 and 3/4 Oscar Robertson when they stood next too each other in the game intro. So I assumed that was his without shoes height but I suppose it's possible he exaggerated it the late 60s was when contracts started becoming bigger and the larger than life list info was starting to make it's way into the league (really took off by the late 70s/early 80s).

He could be 6'4. I've heard 6'3 from some and 6'4 as well. With those guys from the 60's, it seems their listed heights are actually SHORTER than what they should be. So it makes sense the the Pearl would be 6'4.

SHAQisGOAT
03-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Black Jesus :applause: One of the coolest players to watch, imho. Dude had just a sort of rhythm to his game, like he was listening to some cool music while doing it, with those spin dribbles, those jerky moves, behind the back passes, smooth jumper and nice layups, plus he always looked like a "big" guard moving around very well but never what you call a great athlete.

Doesn't really look like Kyrie though, in fact the Pearl is a very unique player, can't recall a very similar comparison.

WillC
03-12-2015, 06:45 PM

You missed out Bob Davies.

jongib369
03-12-2015, 08:25 PM
https://youtu.be/OkQrtrlQYpI

Love watching him play