PDA

View Full Version : Why do MLB players generally paid way more but NBA players are more famous?

iamgine
03-13-2015, 04:58 AM
MLB players in general has much higher salary but NBA players has a lot more endorsement deals.

What gives?

Hittin_Shots
03-13-2015, 04:59 AM
MLB is shit

PejaTheSerbSnip
03-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Longer season, more seats to fill = more revenue

JohnFreeman
03-13-2015, 05:21 AM
Do they really have a bigger salary though? MLB seems to have longer contracts

Akrazotile
03-13-2015, 05:24 AM
MLB players in general has much higher salary but NBA players has a lot more endorsement deals.

What gives?

Racism.

But also I'm pretty sure NBA is more popular among young people which is the target demographic for most retailers, so naturally NBA players will get more product endorsements.

Baseball has no salary cap of course, the result presumably of a stronger player's union. Tho I thought NBA players still had the highest annual salary on average.

Also, another key factor to remember, is racism.

JebronLames
03-13-2015, 05:24 AM
NBA players have a large impact on the game, making them seem like heroes. People like heroes because they can be inspirational. Watching basketball, you can see how hard they play, and the amount of mental and physical toughness they have.

Hard to look for inspiration in MLB since each player has a small impact on the game and hard work doesn't mean much in baseball. Only way you can hit is if you have talent, and the only way you can pitch is if you have talent.

Bobby13
03-13-2015, 05:31 AM
The MLB is only slightly behind the NFL in revenue. The ludicrous player contracts are a result of that position. The NBA is far behind both.

warriorfan
03-13-2015, 05:55 AM
NBA players have a large impact on the game, making them seem like heroes. People like heroes because they can be inspirational. Watching basketball, you can see how hard they play, and the amount of mental and physical toughness they have.

Hard to look for inspiration in MLB since each player has a small impact on the game and hard work doesn't mean much in baseball. Only way you can hit is if you have talent, and the only way you can pitch is if you have talent.

Madison Bumgarner says hi.

MLB hitters and pitchers of course are very gifted but at the same time to say it doesn't take hard work for them to get there is ludicrous. It's a pretty common consensus that MLB players have the hardest grind out of all the major professional sports to make it to the big time.

navy
03-13-2015, 05:57 AM

MLB hitters and pitchers of course are very gifted but at the same time to say it doesn't take hard work for them to get there is ludicrous. It's a pretty common consensus that MLB players have the hardest grind out of all the major professional sports to make it to the big time.
Easiest grind you mean. These dudes dont even have to run bases for themselves.

ThePhantomCreep
03-13-2015, 06:55 AM

Dude didn't play in literally 80% of his team's games. At least use an everyday player as an example.

SexSymbol
03-13-2015, 07:33 AM
The MLB is only slightly behind the NFL in revenue. The ludicrous player contracts are a result of that position. The NBA is far behind both.
That's maybe just America's revenue.
In the world, NBA is only second to Champion's League football.
In other words, NBA is far far more popular around the world than the MLB and NFL combined

24-Inch_Chrome
03-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Dude didn't play in literally 80% of his team's games. At least use an everyday player as an example.

Bumgarner is a great example as far as impact. He essentially willed his team to a World Series win last season, setting several postseason records in the process. Pitchers may only make 30 or so starts during the regular season but they're much more important than position players come playoffs.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Easiest grind you mean. These dudes dont even have to run bases for themselves.

It's the toughest grind as far as making it to the majors. It may not necessarily be physically as tough as adjustment periods for other professional sports but no matter how touted you are as a prospect there's no guarantee that you even make it to the big leagues.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-13-2015, 08:40 AM

What gives?

NBA players will start surpassing baseball players with the introduction of the new salary cap. Max deals should amount to a higher average annual value than MLB's current leader (Clayton Kershaw, $30.7 million/year).

I also found this link (http://www.forbes.com/sites/monteburke/2012/12/07/average-player-salaries-in-the-four-major-american-sports-leagues/), it's a little outdated but it says that basketball players actually have the highest average salary.

sd3035
03-13-2015, 08:49 AM
MLB has twice as many games with stadiums that hold twice as many people

That's a lot of extra revenue in ticket sales

theaussieguy
03-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Hitting a 3 pointer consistently is far harder than hitting curve balls, LOL @ people who think its hard to hit a home run.

mattvNJ
03-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Hitting a 3 pointer consistently is far harder than hitting curve balls, LOL @ people who think its hard to hit a home run.

this I am hoping is sarcasm.

theaussieguy
03-13-2015, 09:44 AM
this I am hoping is sarcasm.

trust me dude its not hard to hit a home run. The reason its always touted as being hard is because the sport is played by docile ****s who couldn't hit a 10 pound turd thrown at them so they need to compensate for their lack of athleticism by perpetuating a myth thats its a hard thing to do. Trust me its not.

ralph_i_el
03-13-2015, 09:53 AM
The average NBA player makes more than the average MLB player because there are less NBA players. Also NBA players play way fewer games.

No salary cap in baseball so the top tier contracts are higher, but if there wasn't a limit on individual players salaries Lebron would easily make more than $30m, same with Durant and a few other guys.

ralph_i_el
03-13-2015, 09:54 AM
trust me dude its not hard to hit a home run. The reason its always touted as being hard is because the sport is played by docile ****s who couldn't hit a 10 pound turd thrown at them so they need to compensate for their lack of athleticism by perpetuating a myth thats its a hard thing to do. Trust me its not.
:facepalm idiot

Jailblazers7
03-13-2015, 10:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_professional_sports_leagues_by_revenue

Revenue per club:
NFL=$297M
MLB=$300M
NBA=$167M

MLB has more more games, bigger stadiums, no salary cap, etc.