PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie is better than Allen Iverson

Solefade
03-13-2015, 07:02 PM
With the exception of durability and probably defense, I think Kyrie is the superior offensive player, better handles, better shooter, better finisher at the rim.

Eric Cartman
03-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Prisoner of the moment smh, talk about disrespecting a legend.

Go away troll.

navy
03-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Iverson was leading his teams to high seeds in the conference. Kyrie wouldnt even be trusted to make the playoffs.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-13-2015, 07:05 PM
He really isn't.

warriorfan
03-13-2015, 07:06 PM
20 bucks says OP never watched AI play.

Uncle Drew
03-13-2015, 07:06 PM
You think Kyrie could lead that Sixer squad to the finals, beating Reggie Miller, prime VC and prime Ray Allen on the way, and steal a game from peak Shaq? I don't.

Solefade
03-13-2015, 07:07 PM
ISH loves being nostalgic but lets be realistic here without mentioning accomplishments because Kyrie has a long way to go still...but just from the eye test Kyrie can finish at the rim better than AI can, has better handles, can shoot the 3 ball a lot better...is anyone actually going to disagree with this?

SwayDizzle
03-13-2015, 07:07 PM
No he isn't, but he sure has potential

strifed169
03-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Iverson was leading his teams to high seeds in the conference. Kyrie wouldnt even be trusted to make the playoffs.

to be fair Kyrie played 2-3 years under the worst coach in league history who's job was to actually lose

RedBlackAttack
03-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Ugh.

Solefade
03-13-2015, 07:10 PM
You think Kyrie could lead that Sixer squad to the finals, beating Reggie Miller, prime VC and prime Ray Allen on the way, and steal a game from peak Shaq? I don't.

i mean i don't really know the answer to this cus AI took like 30 something shots a game and shot liek 40% lol, not taking anything away from AI cus he's one of my favorite players ever and did a lot for the game but i'm just being realistic

Eric Cartman
03-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Ugh.

Ban that troll, he's pissing me off.

Solefade
03-13-2015, 07:13 PM

:roll: :roll:

stop being such a whiny lil btch mane

3peated
03-13-2015, 07:13 PM
Prisoner of the moment smh, talk about disrespecting a legend.

Go away troll.

homie u were just talking about rating players on their looks and dick size, get outa here with that "troll" shit

coin24
03-13-2015, 07:14 PM
AI >>>> kyrie batman

Both better offensive options than LeBald though

navy
03-13-2015, 07:14 PM
to be fair Kyrie played 2-3 years under the worst coach in league history who's job was to actually lose
Fair enough. But let's not act like last year they were trying to lose
Kyrie will no doubt surpass Iverson as he ages. He just hasnt yet.

coin24
03-13-2015, 07:15 PM
homie u were just talking about rating players on their looks and dick size, get outa here with that "troll" shit

Legit ranking criteria :confusedshrug:

jstern
i mean i don't really know the answer to this cus AI took like 30 something shots a game and shot liek 40% lol, not taking anything away from AI cus he's one of my favorite players ever and did a lot for the game but i'm just being realistic

To be honest, Iverson didn't get to play under perimeter friendly rules.

Edit: He actually did, and had a career year in terms of scoring, but was not in his prime anymore.

Solefade
no one in this thread has acknowledged that he's a better ball handler, better long ball shooter and probably finisher with both hands...like i don't think this is disputable

AI just played with a shitload of heart

KNOW1EDGE
03-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Kill yourself.

Honestly, we don't need you.

Can the mods please just delete this thread?

Or can we make that "25 and under" forum already?

This shit is a joke.

Kill yourself OP you fuhcking f@gg0t

Real14
03-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Ugh.
Shit threads like this really brings this place down:facepalm
Meanwhile my "kyrie should take over captain duties" thread is deleted while this is not:biggums: :coleman: . Go figure.:rolleyes:

Solefade
03-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Ugh.

well?

warriorfan
Kill yourself.

This shit is a joke.

:roll:

Solefade
Kill yourself.

This shit is a joke.

never seen someone so angry about an opinion/observation before :roll: :roll:

Levity
03-13-2015, 07:19 PM

:oldlol:

Smoke117
03-13-2015, 07:20 PM
Not saying much, but okay.

Real14
03-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Not saying much, but okay.
REPORTED FOR STUPIDITY AND DISRESPECT.

KNOW1EDGE
03-13-2015, 07:24 PM
never seen someone so angry about an opinion/observation before :roll: :roll:

Damn right I'm angry.

This sort of sh1t makes me want to hunt OP down, knock on his mother's door, come in and find him in the basement, pull his pants down and give him a bare-bottom spanking til his @ss cheeks turn red.

This type of sh1t is not cool. It's like spitting in the games face (no, not the rapper, the game of basketball) learn to respect your elders mf'er.

I want to meet up with anyone who says Kyrie is better than AI and just slap the piss out of them

Solefade
03-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Damn right I'm angry.

This sort of sh1t makes me want to hunt OP down, knock on his mother's door, come in and find him in the basement, pull his pants down and give him a bare-bottom spanking til his @ss cheeks turn red.

This type of sh1t is not cool. It's like spitting in the games face (no, not the rapper, the game of basketball) learn to respect your elders mf'er.

I want to meet up with anyone who says Kyrie is better than AI and just slap the piss out of them

honestly is it really that crazy? i know AI is one of the greatest ever but lets be real, you really gonna dispute that Kyrie doesn't have better handles and is a better 3pt shooter than AI? He's also better with his left which makes him arguably a better finisher at the rim

dazzer87
03-13-2015, 07:27 PM
AI took a crappy team to the finals by himself..........Kyrie had a good game.............:facepalm

Solefade
03-13-2015, 07:29 PM
AI took a crappy team to the finals by himself..........Kyrie had a good game.............:facepalm

Kyrie's also only 22, he'd be a rookie right now if he went to college for 4 years

KNOW1EDGE
03-13-2015, 07:29 PM
honestly is it really that crazy? i know AI is one of the greatest ever but lets be real, you really gonna dispute that Kyrie doesn't have better handles and is a better 3pt shooter than AI? He's also better with his left which makes him arguably a better finisher at the rim

Kyrie is not a better shooter from anywhere on the floor

He has better handles and finishes better with his left hand, I'll give him that.

People on ISH get sofa king caught up in the moment.

Last week Westbrook was better than MJ and the best pg of all time.

Today, Kyrie is better than AI.

GTFO

It is ridiculous, Kyrie is not on the same level as AI

Edit: I'm going a lil overboard, mostly just to prove a point and to troll a troll. But AI's career > Kyries. -let's wait til Kyrie is done, then compare the 2

game3524
03-13-2015, 07:32 PM
:oldlol:

AI put up 33 and 7 the minute they changed the rules in 2005 and he was 30 years old and past his athletic peak.

Put peak AI in today's league and we aren't even having this discussion.

Eric Cartman
03-13-2015, 07:48 PM
Kyrie is not a better shooter from anywhere on the floor

He has better handles and finishes better with his left hand, I'll give him that.

People on ISH get sofa king caught up in the moment.

Last week Westbrook was better than MJ and the best pg of all time.

Today, Kyrie is better than AI.

GTFO

It is ridiculous, Kyrie is not on the same level as AI

Edit: I'm going a lil overboard, mostly just to prove a point and to troll a troll. But AI's career > Kyries. -let's wait til Kyrie is done, then compare the 2

This.

smoovegittar
03-13-2015, 07:49 PM
Kyrie has a L O T of improving to do if you want to go there. For starts, Kyrie couldn't take the punishment Iverson was dealt every time he drove the ball. One of the toughest S.O.B.'s to play the game.

Jud
03-13-2015, 07:54 PM
With the exception of durability and probably defense, I think Kyrie is the superior offensive player, better handles, better shooter, better finisher at the rim.
http://replygif.net/i/449.gif

WallIn
03-13-2015, 08:02 PM
If Kyrie from now on will carry his team to the playoffs without any other superstars for basically 10 years then I might agree with you.

Okay, I will make it 7 years.

RedBlackAttack
03-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Kyrie has a L O T of improving to do if you want to go there. For starts, Kyrie couldn't take the punishment Iverson was dealt every time he drove the ball. One of the toughest S.O.B.'s to play the game.
They're completely different players. AI in his prime was an animal when it came to getting to the basket.

Kyrie is much more clinical with his scoring. A three here, a midrange pullup there, get through the lane, etc.

AI has become so underrated in the last five years it isn't even funny. I understand that he happened to come along in the post-Jordan apocalypse that was the NBA. Interest really waned in those years and AI also -- fairly or unfairly -- came to represent a brand of basketball (Marbury, Francis, etc) that later became a punching bag by the analytics generation.

But, in decrying that style of playing, people have apparently forgotten how damn good Iverson was in the early to mid-2000s. He was one of the best pure scorers in NBA history and a completely unique player. Small in stature with a fiercely physical game.

I don't like this comparison at all. Aside from insane handles and an ability to finish in traffic, they have very little in common. Their respective approaches are totally different.

KNOW1EDGE
03-13-2015, 08:08 PM
Without question... only thing Iverson is better than Irving is playing the passing lanes.. that's about it.

Kill yourself :cheers:

WallIn
03-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Without question... only thing Iverson is better than Irving is playing the passing lanes.. that's about it.

http://media.giphy.com/media/2XskdWz9y363OIIeLPq/giphy.gif

Real14
03-13-2015, 08:11 PM
:facepalm

Solefade
03-13-2015, 08:17 PM
But, in decrying that style of playing, people have apparently forgotten how damn good Iverson was in the early to mid-2000s. He was one of the best pure scorers in NBA history and a completely unique player. Small in stature with a fiercely physical game.

I don't like this comparison at all. Aside from insane handles and an ability to finish in traffic, they have very little in common. Their respective approaches are totally different.

haha the only difference I see in their game is AI is a much much better mid range scorer, their mental approach and defense. The "meat" of their game is getting to the basket which both are really good at and both heavily rely on their handles...to say they're completely different players, that's pretty extreme don't you think?

dazzer87
03-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Trolling or started watching Bball two years ago?

OnFire
03-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Kyrie won about 75 games in 3 seasons before LeBron.

no

RedBlackAttack
03-13-2015, 08:23 PM
haha the only difference I see in their game is AI is a much much better mid range scorer, their mental approach and defense. The "meat" of their game is getting to the basket which both are really good at and both heavily rely on their handles...to say they're completely different players, that's pretty extreme don't you think?
Not at all.

Kyrie relies heavily on his perimeter game. Irving is a borderline elite jumpshooter. That was never Iverson's game, and it didn't matter. He was getting to the basket anyway.

Irving sets his game up with the ability to rain long range jumpers. Defenses have to respect it and that sets up his pull-up and drive game.

Also, like I said... Iverson was a brute despite his stature. Kyrie is far more clinical.

AI used a hammer, Kyrie a scalpel.

Smoke117
03-13-2015, 08:27 PM
Not at all.

Kyrie relies heavily on his perimeter game. Irving is a borderline elite jumpshooter. That was never Iverson's game, and it didn't matter. He was getting to the basket anyway.

Irving sets his game up with the ability to rain long range jumpers. Defenses have to respect it and that sets up his pull-up and drive game.

Also, like I said... Iverson was a brute despite his stature. Kyrie is far more clinical.

Actually it did matter. He wasn't getting to the basket and taking 25+ shots at the rim. (hence the terrible fg%) The guy has fired away more horrible jump shots than anyone in the league before or since.

Solefade
03-13-2015, 08:30 PM
Not at all.

I see what you're saying and I feel like because Kyrie doesn't have the athleticism AI had, Kyrie is naturally more clinical.

I guess I don't look at it as in depth as you, I'm shallow about it but I chop it up to these 3 things:

Shooting, handles, finishing at the rim and Kyrie beats AI at shooting and handles, finishing at the rim is debatable to me.

edit: yeah i think the mental make up is really important and thats what made AI special and Kyrie definitely does not have that but skillset wise I think Kyrie is better

game3524
03-13-2015, 08:31 PM
:oldlol: Not trolling, been watching the game longer than most people on this site.. not even going to give you a year but I've watched all of AI's career. I'm of the opinion that AI is/was severely overrated and I'd take Kyrie over him 10/10 times to start a team. There's a reason they call AI "canswer".

Question: What aspects of the game is AI better than Kyrie aside from playing the passing lanes? and please don't give me that heart bs.

lol why?

Kyrie couldn't even get his team to the playoffs as the guy, prime AI pretty much got there every year outside of 2004 and 2006.

Solefade
03-13-2015, 08:33 PM
lol why?

Kyrie couldn't even get his team to the playoffs as the guy, prime AI pretty much got there every year outside of 2004 and 2006.

why do you guys keep listing AI's career accomplishments instead of analyzing the players themselves? Yes, what AI did was impressive and Kyrie can't touch that but Larry Brown was a good coach and that Sixers team was pretty elite defensively from what I remember.

SHAQisGOAT
03-13-2015, 08:35 PM
People rambling about nostalgia and shit when you got threads like these :rolleyes: :facepalm

game3524
03-13-2015, 08:35 PM
Actually it did matter. He wasn't getting to the basket and taking 25+ shots at the rim. (hence the terrible fg%) The guy has fired away more horrible jump shots than anyone in the league before or since.

No he didn't.

Westbrook's hot selection was far worst then AI. I don't remember AI pulling up 15 footers on a two on one break.

Iverson's biggest issue was the bailout shots since there was no one on that team that could hit an open jumpshot to save his life. It is no coincidence his shot selection become better the minute he left for Denver.

OnFire
03-13-2015, 08:36 PM
So now mental make up doesn't matter. Guess those 50000 posts about alpha and beta were a waste of time lol

KNOW1EDGE
03-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Iverson was the better shooter from everywhere on the floor.Got to the hoop better. Better defender. More consistent. Had the better crossover. Had the ability to put teams on his back and carry them to the finals

Kyrie is a better passer and finishes better around the hoop. That's it.

GTFO

Solefade
03-13-2015, 08:37 PM
So now mental make up doesn't matter. Guess those 50000 posts about alpha and beta were a waste of time lol

mental make up =/= alpha or beta :facepalm

Solefade
Iverson was the better shooter from everywhere on the floor.Got to the hoop better. Better defender. More consistent. Had the better crossover. Had the ability to put teams on his back and carry them to the finals

Kyrie is a better passer and finishes better around the hoop. That's it.

GTFO

he wasn't a better shooter from everywhere on the floor lol

game3524
why do you guys keep listing AI's career accomplishments instead of analyzing the players themselves? Yes, what AI did was impressive and Kyrie can't touch that but Larry Brown was a good coach and that Sixers team was pretty elite defensively from what I remember.

The Sixers couldn't score to save there lives. Good defensive teams, but those teams would picking in the lottery if AI wasn't on the roster.

As players, AI was clearly better. Much more prolific as a scorer, far better play-maker. Neither were great defenders, but AI was not a walking liability and could force TOs like no one else in the league.

KNOW1EDGE
03-13-2015, 08:38 PM
he wasn't a better shooter from everywhere on the floor lol

Yes he was (no lol)

Jailblazers7
03-13-2015, 08:38 PM
Iverson was better without the ball by a huge margin. Everyone remembers Rip, Ray, and Reggie being great off ball players who really knew how to get open but AI was up there too.

Iverson was also a much more talented defender. Dude won the Big East DPOY in college but ended up expending so much energy on offense in the NBA on offense that he coasted. Had he been placed in a more disciplined system he probably would have been a beast.

game3524
03-13-2015, 08:39 PM
:no:

Iverson missed the playoffs in 97 and 98.. he was what? 22 at that time? Kyrie is 22.. so give him some time, especially now that he finally has some help around him.

Iverson had Larry Brown + goat defensive stalwarts (DPOY) and an even weaker eastern conference. Also later on with Melo and the Nuggets (who got better when they traded Canswer for a washed up Billups). LOL at this ******gery.

Iverson was already in the playoffs by his third year, while the Cavs were in the lottery in Kyrie's third year.

They would likely still be in the lottery if Lebron never came along.

Solefade
03-13-2015, 08:40 PM
The Sixers couldn't score to save there lives. Good defensive teams, but those teams would picking in the lottery if AI wasn't on the roster.

As players, AI was clearly better. Much more prolific as a scorer, far better play-maker. Neither were great defenders, but AI was not a walking liability and could force TOs like no one else in the league.

competition in the east at the time wasn't exactly what I call elite neither lol

well i'm challenging you on the fact that he's not more of a prolific scorer than AI, as a matter of fact I'm saying Kyrie is the more complete offensive player and has better handles everything else you're right though

OnFire
03-13-2015, 08:41 PM
mental make up =/= alpha or beta :facepalm

So being alpha or beta is a physical trait? No i think you're mistaken.

game3524
03-13-2015, 08:41 PM
Iverson was better without the ball by a huge margin. Everyone remembers Rip, Ray, and Reggie being great off ball players who really knew how to get open but AI was up there too.

Iverson was also a much more talented defender. Dude won the Big East DPOY in college but ended up expending so much energy on offense in the NBA on offense that he coasted. Had he been placed in a more disciplined system he probably would have been a beast.

This.

Go watch AI when he played SG under Brown, he did a ton of his scoring off-ball and they ran a ton of screens to get him open.

His ability to play off-ball is so underrated.

WallIn
03-13-2015, 08:42 PM
competition in the east at the time wasn't exactly what I call elite neither lol

well i'm challenging you on the fact that he's not more of a prolific scorer than AI, as a matter of fact I'm saying Kyrie is the more complete offensive player and has better handles everything else you're right though

Irving is a better 3-point line shooter while AI was a better mid-range jump shooter.

game3524
03-13-2015, 08:42 PM

Competition my ass, the East has been garbage for the majority of Kyrie's career so far.(The last two 8th seeds averaged 38 wins).

Solefade
03-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Competition my ass, the East has been garbage for the majority of Kyrie's career so far.(The last two 8th seeds averaged 38 wins).

i would attribute that to a shitty coach, team and organization. at least the sixers had a coach and good defense

game3524
03-13-2015, 08:48 PM
i would attribute that to a shitty coach, team and organization. at least the sixers had a coach and good defense

Excuses.

Put AI on those Cavs team, they get to 42 wins.

Lebron23
03-13-2015, 08:55 PM
I like Kyrie Irving, but he's still not in the same level as Prime Iverson. A.I. with the current NBA rules is a dangerous player.

game3524
03-13-2015, 08:56 PM
Now you're just assuming shit. Lets stick with the facts.

Also I highly doubt Kyrie with Wiggins + a healthy supporting cast doesn't make noise in the East. Also like I said earlier.. current East >>>>>> 1999 East. :facepalm

In what world?:oldlol:

The east in 1999 had four teams on pace to win 50+ games in an 82 game schedule and the top 8 teams all had a record over .500. Now look at the east in 2015, three teams on pace to win 50 and they have two teams that will likely make the playoffs with a record under .500.

smoovegittar
03-13-2015, 09:35 PM
They're completely different players. AI in his prime was an animal when it came to getting to the basket.

Kyrie is much more clinical with his scoring. A three here, a midrange pullup there, get through the lane, etc.

AI has become so underrated in the last five years it isn't even funny. I understand that he happened to come along in the post-Jordan apocalypse that was the NBA. Interest really waned in those years and AI also -- fairly or unfairly -- came to represent a brand of basketball (Marbury, Francis, etc) that later became a punching bag by the analytics generation.

Yeah, I got you. Throwing OP a bone -

...it was better than trolling.

20Four
03-13-2015, 09:36 PM
You weren't even alive to see him play....I swear...where do you DUMBFVCKS come from? Fvcking annoying pieces of fvcking monkey shit

Eat Like A Bosh
03-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Threads like these are nonsense
Nothing like overreacting to one career night.

Cold soul
03-13-2015, 10:34 PM
I like Kyrie but Iverson was much better player even offensively people are prisoners of the moment.