PDA

View Full Version : Jahlil OKAFOR is unstoppable 1v1

christian1923
03-13-2015, 11:39 PM
This kids gonna be drawing double teams for the next 15 years.

navy
03-13-2015, 11:41 PM
But does he play defense?

christian1923
03-13-2015, 11:42 PM
But does he play defense?
He's 19. Plenty of time to learn some defense.

JimmyMcAdocious
03-13-2015, 11:44 PM
He's getting away with anything. He ****ing trucked that ND kid a few minutes ago and the refs let it go. Crazy. He also carries and walks on almost every possession. The refs finally called one a minute ago.

And apparently he can't make a free throw.

Eric Cartman
03-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Future Knick, Sixer, Wolve, or Laker.

The anticipation is killing me.

noob cake
03-13-2015, 11:45 PM
He's getting away with anything. He ****ing trucked that ND kid a few minutes ago and the refs let it go. Crazy.

How is James Michael McAdoo doing?

christian1923
He's getting away with anything. He ****ing trucked that ND kid a few minutes ago and the refs let it go. Crazy.
Superstars calls, he's earned it tonight

DeuceWallaces
He's getting away with anything. He ****ing trucked that ND kid a few minutes ago and the refs let it go. Crazy. He also carries and walks on almost every possession. The refs finally called one a minute ago.

ACC refs. So predictable. Wait till the real tourney.

FreezingTsmoove
03-13-2015, 11:46 PM
That means shit in college. I have always said this generations measuring stick is if you cam score on Deandre, Tyson, or Gasol in the post

JimmyMcAdocious
03-13-2015, 11:48 PM
How is James Michael McAdoo doing?

Following dat 2k15 MyPlayer career of undrafted to star. :cheers:

Fudge
03-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Empty stats tonight.

Can't play defense. Shitty at FT's. Too slow. Unathletic.

Kawl Towns >

christian1923
too bad this asshole can't make free throws

RightToCensor
How can you be unstoppable if you can't hit free throws?

Springsteen
03-13-2015, 11:51 PM
If only he could make free throws.

24-Inch_Chrome
03-13-2015, 11:51 PM

Shaq? MDE.

christian1923
03-13-2015, 11:53 PM
Empty stats tonight.

Can't play defense. Shitty at FT's. Too slow. Unathletic.

Kawl Towns >
Towns is nice. Okafor is great

kurple
03-13-2015, 11:55 PM
shaq and wilt are the two most unstoppable players of alltime

ZenMaster
03-13-2015, 11:56 PM
I'd rather have Towns. Okafors defense is going to get him in foul trouble in the NBA, too slow and flat footed.

christian1923
03-13-2015, 11:58 PM
I'd rather have Towns. Okafors defense is going to get him in foul trouble in the NBA, too slow and flat footed.
People always focusing on the negative

Doesn't change the fact that he's got more post then 95% of the NBA

Kblaze8855
03-14-2015, 12:00 AM
Sean May was unstoppable one on one in college.

Not saying the kid will have a similar fate...im saying...its hard for me to get excited over scoring on college kids. The way you score says a lot more than how hard it is to stop you vs bad players.

Some shots work no matter who guards you once you have it down. I'll have to look at lot closer than I have so far to conclude that hes gonna work NBA defenders. He well might...but ive missed whatever convinces most people.

I'll try to get more informed on him I suppose.

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 12:01 AM
Okafor will never be as strong or athletic as Shaq.

This dude would struggle to back down Zach Randolph

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 12:04 AM

This dude won't even play 30mpg his rookie season

RightToCensor
03-14-2015, 12:06 AM
shaq and wilt are the two most unstoppable players of alltime
They were dominant on both sides of the ball.

ZenMaster
03-14-2015, 12:08 AM

Only because that's what gives Towns the edge.

Like you say, Okafor is a very good post player and it will be his force in the NBA. When you look at how the best teams in the NBA play to me it feels like Towns has a better chance to be a part of that.

Not being a good defender is just so important when you're his size because you can't be a scorer if you're riding pine because of fouls.

RonSwanson
03-14-2015, 12:25 AM
Towns is easily the best prospect in this class. He's 7' and still growing (Size 20 shoe, Shaq's was 22). What's Okafor going to do, Shrink? 6'9 C's don't make it in this league anymore

christian1923
03-14-2015, 12:32 AM
Only because that's what gives Towns the edge.

Like you say, Okafor is a very good post player and it will be his force in the NBA. When you look at how the best teams in the NBA play to me it feels like Towns has a better chance to be a part of that.

Not being a good defender is just so important when you're his size because you can't be a scorer if you're riding pine because of fouls.
He can vastly improve on D.

Not only is he the Duke offense but he's also our only big who plays big minutes, I'm sure he's not asked to be very aggressive on defense.

christian1923
03-14-2015, 12:32 AM
Towns is easily the best prospect in this class. He's 7' and still growing (Size 20 shoe, Shaq's was 22). What's Okafor going to do, Shrink? 6'9 C's don't make it in this league anymore
Okafor is 6'11 bud

ZenMaster
03-14-2015, 12:39 AM
He can vastly improve on D.

Not only is he the Duke offense but he's also our only big who plays big minutes, I'm sure he's not asked to be very aggressive on defense.

I think you're going to be disapointed. Not too many players make great leaps defensively after comming into the NBA, but most players who are good defenders in college usually also ends up being it in the NBA. "Vastly improve" would to me make him just about an average NBA defender at the 5.

Hey Yo
03-14-2015, 12:44 AM
ND let him get his tonight in order to guard the 3pt shot better.

RonSwanson
03-14-2015, 12:47 AM
Okafor is 6'11 bud

http://i.imgur.com/g6qE5ha.jpg

christian1923
03-14-2015, 12:54 AM
I think you're going to be disapointed. Not too many players make great leaps defensively after comming into the NBA, but most players who are good defenders in college usually also ends up being it in the NBA. "Vastly improve" would to me make him just about an average NBA defender at the 5.
Average is fine with his offense

Hopefully he gets the right coach and teammates

kurple
03-14-2015, 01:02 AM
They were dominant on both sides of the ball.
they were, but they are still unstoppable while being bad FT shooters

Genaro
03-14-2015, 01:25 AM
I'm not sold on this guy to be honest. I saw some games and while he is dominant offensively, he will need a Ibaka type of PF to his team work defensively.
I would rather the Lakers end up with Towns or Russell.

ButterFace
03-14-2015, 01:26 AM
Shaq? MDE.

RTC probably didn't see prime Shaq.

Smoke117
03-14-2015, 01:30 AM
Average is fine with his offense

Hopefully he gets the right coach and teammates

Average is NEVER fine at the most important defensive position in the league. Unless you are playing with Duncan, Garnett, or some kind unfair Pippen, Jordan, Rodman trio. There are no elite PF's defensively these days, so his weakness defending will be HUGE whether he could average 25ppg or not.

If you play Center and you except to play 30mpg but can't defend you would NEVER get minutes on my team if I was the head coach. I'm a larry brown, jerry sloan guy. I don't put up with that nonsense.

christian1923
03-14-2015, 01:44 AM
Average is NEVER fine at the most important defensive position in the league. Unless you are playing with Duncan, Garnett, or some kind unfair Pippen, Jordan, Rodman trio. There are no elite PF's defensively these days, so his weakness defending will be HUGE whether he could average 25ppg or not.

If you play Center and you except to play 30mpg but can't defend you would NEVER get minutes on my team if I was the head coach. I'm a larry brown, jerry sloan guy. I don't put up with that nonsense.
You can have a good defensive team and have an average defensive center. It's not like there is a lack of effort from his part. He just has to play extra carefully on that end because he can't afford to be in foul trouble. I'll admit He has a long way to go but we should pair him up first with a legit big before we judge how awful his defense is.

Everyone loves KAT but it's not hard to look good on defense when you're playing with 2 other 7 footers and 6'5 guards.

RonSwanson
03-14-2015, 01:49 AM
You can have a good defensive team and have an average defensive center. It's not like there is a lack of effort from his part. He just has to play extra carefully on that end because he can't afford to be in foul trouble. I'll admit He has a long way to go but we should pair him up first with a legit big before we judge how awful his defense is.

Everyone loves KAT but it's not hard to look good on defense when you're playing with 2 other 7 footers and 6'5 guards.

LOL

http://i.imgur.com/yB9KIMg.gif

JimmyMcAdocious
03-14-2015, 01:58 AM
Think he measured 6-10+inches (basically 6-11) with a long wingspan in high school. 7-4 or 7-5 or something like that.

I stand by him carrying and traveling all the time in the post, but it's not like that shit gets called in the NBA. His ability to put the ball on the floor is impressively fluid. Wouldn't surprise me if he's a 20+ ppg scorer at some point in his career.

But that defense... He's atrocious. Don't give me that he's not trying so he doesn't foul bullshit. How many times do you see him pointing to his chest after a breakdown a game? It's like every three possessions. To me that implies he's trying and just keeps ****ing up. It's not like refs call fouls on him anyway.

Maybe he eventually figures it out, but I'm not sure how many post players went from piss poor to good defender at this stage of their career. And if there's any position where you can't have a defensive liability in the NBA, it's center.

KG215
03-14-2015, 02:06 AM
He's Andre Drummond and DeAndre Jordan bad from the FT line, though, and he's a shit rim protector; so much so, I haven't even really seen anything that leads me to believe he could ever be anything more than a slightly below average to average defender if he reaches his full defensive potential. Unfortunately center is the one position in basketball you want more than "average" defensively. Right now he's just flatout terrible defensively.

With that said, even though he does get away with a hook, carry, or lowering his shoulder on like 85% of his post baskets, he has soft touch and good footwork around the basket. Even if he always stays a shit defender, he'll more than likely be a 17-20 PPG player in the NBA in his prime.

He's the type of player I could see stepping into the league next year and averaging around 15 PPG from the get-go. Of course if he's total shit on defense, he may not get the minutes to average that many points. Either way, there's probably not a more polished, day-one ready prospect in the draft this year, but there are a handful of guys I think have more potential.

Smoke117
03-14-2015, 02:10 AM
Think he measured 6-10+inches (basically 6-11) with a long wingspan in high school. 7-4 or 7-5 or something like that.

I stand by him carrying and traveling all the time in the post, but it's not like that shit gets called in the NBA. His ability to put the ball on the floor is impressively fluid. Wouldn't surprise me if he's a 20+ ppg scorer at some point in his career.

But that defense... He's atrocious. Don't give me that he's not trying so he doesn't foul bullshit. How many times do you see him pointing to his chest after a breakdown a game? It's like every three possessions. To me that implies he's trying and just keeps ****ing up. It's not like refs call fouls on him anyway.

Maybe he eventually figures it out, but I'm not sure how many post players went from piss poor to good defender at this stage of their career. And if there's any position where you can't have a defensive liability in the NBA, it's center.

Exactly. The guy can't defend at the college level with far inferior athletes and skilled players...yet people think he can develop some kind of competent defensive game? A zebra can't change it's stripes...

imnew09
03-14-2015, 02:56 AM
I can see him in Lakers uniform

el gringos
03-14-2015, 05:59 AM
I can see him in Lakers uniform
Orlando winning a spot in the lotto would be cool

UK2K
03-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Like to see him guard Duncan or Gasol or Cousins or Dwight.

ILLsmak
03-14-2015, 09:14 AM
Sean May was unstoppable one on one in college.

I was laughing cuz someone was gonna pick May high. No comparison at all. Plus he played more than 1 year.

I dunno why people always wanna hate on college guys.

-Smak

Ariza4three
03-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Exactly. The guy can't defend at the college level with far inferior athletes and skilled players...yet people think he can develop some kind of competent defensive game? A zebra can't change it's stripes...
why are ppl so dumb? u know its not impossible for college players to improve right?

christian1923
03-14-2015, 11:55 AM
Like to see him guard Duncan or Gasol or Cousins or Dwight.
Who can guard those guys?

UK2K
03-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Who can guard those guys?
They can guard each other.

Jailblazers7
03-14-2015, 12:12 PM
Current rules do him no favor too. Defense is all about rotations now and they can't hide him. Good thing for him is that C is weak but he can't hide in the playoffs. I think he could be great with the right scenario tho. Put him with Noel or WCS at PF and it's not a big deal that he sucks on D.

His offense is phenomenal tho. I think we are reaching the breaking point with guard driven offenses and he might hit at the perfect time where the low post style works wonders.

Lebron23
07-13-2021, 10:21 PM
He is playing good in Fiba basketball. Hopefully he gets more playing time in Detroit.